or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Oculus co-founder defends sale of company amidst backlash, says Facebook a better home than Apple
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Oculus co-founder defends sale of company amidst backlash, says Facebook a better home than Apple - Page 3

post #81 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

 

Really? You doubt that Google, the company heavily invested in augmented reality and which already has their own pair of glasses to bring that to you, wouldn’t be interested in the single biggest thing to happen to VR since the Virtual Boy?

 

 

This.. in the article should have been enough of a clue for you...

"That led the co-founder of Oculus to take to the Internet to defend the sale, in which he argued Facebook is a better landing spot for the company than Apple or Microsoft."

 

I don't see Google mentioned there...

:no: 

 

Augmented Reality and VR are two very different markets don't you know.

 

Oh and... I doubted Google _would_ be interested...


Edited by patpatpat - 3/27/14 at 9:42am
post #82 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayz View Post
 

 

Some good points, but I'm not seeing this as something Apple will be looking at.  One thing that you have missed when looking at Apple's strategy is that they focus on consumers and creative professionals. They do not service the needs of nerds. There are just not enough people who play games at this level to make it worth Apple's time. Maybe that will change, but right now, spending that kind of money on something like this not the right way to go.

 

Good point, but the device I described would go far beyond just gaming.  It could also be used for VR collaboration and communication, VR content authoring, and provide the world's best 3D movie experience. To understand the sense of immersion that a good VR headset can provide, one has to experience it. It's as close to a Star Trek "holodeck" as one can get.

post #83 of 104
Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post

I don’t see Google mentioned there... :no: 

 

SO?! What does that have to do with anything? 

 

Augmented Reality and VR are two very different markets don't you know.

 

Can that really be said?

 
Oh and... I doubted Google _would_ be interested... 

 

Okay. Why.

post #84 of 104

VR is cool, but hard to commercialize at this stage.

Mark is just buying an expensive entertainment for himself.

post #85 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

SO?! What does that have to do with anything? 

 

Can that really be said?

 

Okay. Why.

 

Everything.

Yes.

Already stated.

post #86 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

Actaully I believe Mark Z plans to leave it alone and let it go as is

 

I’m to understand that the exact opposite is true. I’ll try to find the article.

Read the rest of my post, I actually believe Mark Z sold them a bill of goods and does have other plans, but we will see but these devices are not a $2B market in any time horizon.

 

I wonder if they will have the same issue as the google glass with people getting headaches after wearing them for a period of time.

post #87 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

VR will be like 3D, a fad.

I dunno. I always thought looking like Daft Punk would someday be mainstream fashion. /s

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #88 of 104
Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post

Everything.

 

So one article doesn’t say it; that means it cannot possibly be true?

 
Yes.

 

No! Seriously?!

 
Already stated.

 

Not really, no. “No because no” isn’t an answer.

post #89 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So one article doesn’t say it; that means it cannot possibly be true?

No! Seriously?!

Not really, no. “No because no” isn’t an answer.
When you figure out the difference between VR and AR, maybe we can talk.
post #90 of 104
Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post
When you figure out the difference between VR and AR, maybe we can talk.

 

Nice strawman. When you figure out their similarities, how about you give some evidence as to why Google wouldn’t be interested.

post #91 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Nice strawman. When you figure out their similarities, how about you give some evidence as to why Google wouldn’t be interested.
meh, life is too short to educate those who don't want to be educated.
post #92 of 104
Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post
meh, life is too short to educate those who don't want to be educated.


Funny. I was thinking exactly the same thing.

post #93 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post


VR will be like 3D, a fad.

 

Every Apple "next big thing" has been met with that same response.

post #94 of 104
Originally Posted by Open-Mind View Post

Every Apple "next big thing" has been met with that same response.

 

Yeah, but that’s always wrong. Since when has Facebook’s “next big thing” ever been big, next, or even a thing? :lol:

post #95 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

Yeah, but that’s always wrong. Since when has Facebook’s “next big thing” ever been big, next, or even a thing? :lol:

So we agree that since Rift + Facebook = Mediocrity, and that will set the stage for

 

iVision + iDevice + iTMS = NextBigThing!

 

Glad we got that straightened out!  :-)

post #96 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipsepjm View Post

Imagine how realistic FarmVille and Candy Crush will look! 😒

Interesting read.

http://edge-online.com/features/how-clones-fear-sanitisation-and-free-to-play-soured-the-ios-gaming-revolution/
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #97 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidW View Post

You got to have a hole in your head, if you think the VR seen in "The Matrix" will ever become a reality. 1wink.gif

Or computers that fit in your pocket. 1wink.gif
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #98 of 104

Ben Thompson has an interesting take on Facebook buying Oculus

 

quote:

while Oculus’ technology is by all accounts incredible, I, quite strongly, don’t believe it is what is next for general purpose computing.

 

[snip]

 

What is so powerful about this analogy – that the computer is a bicycle for the mind – is that it elevates the humanity of a desired action, in this case transportation, and inserts the computer as an aid. This is exactly what the iPhone and the smartphones that followed have done for people: instead of a computer being a destination, it’s something that is always with us, ready to call up a map, or a restaurant recommendation, or simply fill time with a flapping bird. To put it another way, mobile is a big deal not because we use computers more, but because a computer is with us in more places.

Envisioning a future in which Oculus’ technology is the dominant platform is diametrically opposed: it’s a reality where humans retreat from day-to-day activities in favor of computers. This idea – a life lived in computers – is something that appeals to the technically predisposed; who among us spends all day in front a glowing screen, and then goes home to do the exact same? I’m sure Zuckerberg is in that boat. But it’s a much smaller boat than many technologists realize.

http://stratechery.com/2014/face-future/

post #99 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlSagan View Post

The kind of system we need would be one in which diversity of input matters and community ownership is central (see Libertarian Socialism), similar to what we see within the Open Source community. But the problem is that Capitalism, which thrives, for one thing, on private ownership, would never be able to survive such a system, which is one reason why patents exist and one reason why they are abused. Humanity, on the other hand, would benefit tremendously from such a transparent and universally-available system of innovation and knowledge.
I wish you all the luck in the world in your quest to fix humanity.
post #100 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporlo View Post


I wish you all the luck in the world in your quest to fix humanity.

I do appreciate your kindness. I wish you a good life.

 

I just wish to add that I don't hate rich or naive people; they are people who I feel deserve a good life too. I am just an ardent Utilitarian who wants to see humanity as a whole to do well and not just a few humans or a few groups of humans over and at the expense of the many, and I believe this goal is attainable. I do admit that I am being a bit idealistic, yea, but I don't see how idealism, especially in this respect, must only mean speculative delusion.

post #101 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post
 

Facebook can not help them with this, they do not have a supply chain which has relationships with required suppliers. Face it Apple and Samsung and all the Laptop Manufactures have the supply of display all tied up, There is no way Facebook is going to command any respect or authority with those suppliers especially if they do not see a large market for this product. This is a niche geek market, the may sell a few million units bit there is no sustainable business model. The founder of this company knows this (maybe not since most inventor/geeks fail to under the business world) and you probably found out really fast that Apple and maybe MS both told him his idea have not merit and he found a sucker in Facebook and Mark Z was probably think grab it before Google takes it.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post
 

Actaully I believe Mark Z plans to leave it alone and let it go as is,  But you can not collect data if you can not supply the product to the market. I think this is Mark Z new hobbies, he is probably a gamer at heart.

 

Than again the Founder of Oculus  could be a naive geek and does not realize Mark Z told him what he wanted to hear and plans to take it over and make it some sort of social media device, similar to people being able to share their PS3 experience over twitter. Not the first time an techno geek of a company sold out only to find out they plan push him out the door later. Only time will tell let see how long he stick around.

 

back to my point Facebook is in no position to capitalize on hardware product they lack any and all knowledge to make that happen, most likely they will outsource it but they is not a easy task either.

 

They don't need to make a profit on the sales, just break even or even a loss. They can give them away.

 

As I said before, the data is more valuable than anything. Facial recognition is the frontier and for that they need a database of facial profiles. Now tie that into the existing massive database of users FB has, wow! I can see the sales staff salivating from here. Targeted advertising backed by FB user database. OMG! You will not be able to walk into a mall without being tracked and targeted the entire time. It will not just be the info we give FB, it will be all of the info our friends share about us. Of course there will be privacy advocates that will fight back and European countries that threaten, but FB will slip and slide and duck and weave, leaving a trail of cash behind.

 

Go ahead, call me paranoid, but that is how I see the future.

TechnoMinds

We are a Montreal based technology company that offers a variety of tech services such as tech support for Apple products, Drupal based website development, computer training and iCloud...

Reply

TechnoMinds

We are a Montreal based technology company that offers a variety of tech services such as tech support for Apple products, Drupal based website development, computer training and iCloud...

Reply
post #102 of 104
Originally Posted by Open-Mind View Post
So we agree that since Rift + Facebook = Mediocrity, and that will set the stage for

 

iVision + iDevice + iTMS = NextBigThing!

 

Glad we got that straightened out!  :-)

 

What on earth gives you the idea that Apple cares about virtual reality?

post #103 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

What on earth gives you the idea that Apple cares about virtual reality?

I'm not saying they do care, I'm saying they should care.

 

Five years ago, Apple didn't seem to care about tablets. But before there were even rumors, I knew it would

be huge.  Most said it would fail. You sound just like them:

 

http://www.infoworld.com/d/windows/why-apples-rumored-itablet-will-fail-big-time-119

http://webtrends.about.com/b/2010/01/26/5-reasons-why-apples-islate-tablet-will-fail.htm

http://www.wealthdaily.com/articles/the-ipad-will-fail/2294

http://www.minyanville.com/mvpremium/apple-ipad-will-fail-says/

http://www.minyanville.com/special-features/articles/ipad2-ipad-2-release-tablets-ipad/3/10/2011/id/33112

post #104 of 104
Originally Posted by Open-Mind View Post

Most said it would fail. You sound just like them:

 

Complete and utter nonsense.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Oculus co-founder defends sale of company amidst backlash, says Facebook a better home than Apple