or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung 'puzzled' as South Korean carriers upstage Galaxy S5 launch with early sales
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Samsung 'puzzled' as South Korean carriers upstage Galaxy S5 launch with early sales

post #1 of 44
Thread Starter 
Apple's chief rival Samsung had big plans for the debut of its flagship Galaxy S5 smartphone on April 11, but carriers in its native country of South Korea have opted to upstage that launch date by releasing the new handset early.

Samsung


SK Telecom, the largest mobile provider in South Korea, is set to release the Galaxy S5 on Thursday, two weeks before the actual scheduled launch. The move has prompted other carriers in the country -- KT Corp. and LG Uplus Corp. -- to also release the device early.

In response, Samsung issued a statement, according to the Associated Press, saying that the company is "very puzzled" by the decision. Carriers were provided with handsets ahead of time to ensure they could fulfill preorders.

The move may be driven in part by a looming suspension set to hit SK Telecom on April 5. The carrier is reportedly barred from accepting new customers for a 45-day period because they provided illegal phone subsidies. Selling the Galaxy S5 early would allow them to lock in new customers ahead of that suspension, which will be in effect when Samsung's handset officially launches.

Samsung's apparent difficulties in coordinating the launch of the Galaxy S5 stand in contrast to Apple's debut of both the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c in 11 countries and territories last October. Another 24 countries were added a month later, with a total of more than 100 countries carrying Apple's latest handsets by the end of 2013.

Samsung has said the Galaxy S5 will be available in more than 100 countries on a single day, April 11. But with early sales by South Korean carriers, some customers will be get their hands on the next-generation device well ahead of the date Samsung intended.

The next flagship handset from Samsung was announced in February at the Mobile World Congress trade show in Barcelona. It packs a 5.1-inch display, fingerprint sensor, and a heart rate monitor on the rear of device, located next to the camera.
post #2 of 44
How is it possible that does Samsung not have some sort of contract that covers this?
post #3 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by iaeen View Post

How is it possible that does Samsung not have some sort of contract that covers this?

It's South Korea, land of companies that don't follow the law. Several telecoms have been found guilty of providing illegal subsidies, not just SK Telecom, and Samsung has been found guilty of improperly using other company's intellectual property. Why would you think any of these companies would play by the rules?

post #4 of 44

never mind my error

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #5 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob53 View Post

It's South Korea, land of companies that don't follow the law. Several telecoms have been found guilty of providing illegal subsidies, not just SK Telecom, and Samsung has been found guilty of improperly using other company's intellectual property. Why would you think any of these companies would play by the rules?

Bingo. Plus they want this phone to not be considered "new" come 5 April. So they are doing their own thing. Samsung shouldn't be puzzled, and if you ask me, will benefit from this. Had they all waited? They wouldn't have been able to sell these new phones when launched in their home country.
post #6 of 44

The tech writers and even some Samsung fanboys admit the S5 is more of an improved S4 than something really new. Samsung admits the fingerprint login is not as evolved as the iPhone’s TouchID. I have a hunch the S5 will sell well but not blow the doors off. The next iPhone, however, could be a real barn burner.

post #7 of 44

Samsung should forget the coordinated protocol and simply get as many Galaxy S5 smartphones sold as possible.  A two weeks earlier head-start means a better window to get more S5 units sold before Apple comes out with a new iPhone.  I'm not sure why Samsung is so puzzled.  Each carrier wants to be the first to get consumers into their stores before the other carriers.

post #8 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by iaeen View Post

How is it possible that does Samsung not have some sort of contract that covers this?

The same way they pay Celebs to show off their products only to use their Iphone to share the paid positive comment on an Iphone. Samsung has no control, once they sell the product to the service provider companies those company can pretty much do what they want. Notice how apple sell their products first or at the same time as the service providers, and apple ships them at the same time. It is obvious that Samsung is stuffing the channel with products again. 

post #9 of 44
Originally Posted by iaeen View Post
How is it possible that does Samsung not have some sort of contract that covers this?

 

Because they’re worthless, pathetic idiots. That’s basically what it boils down to. Can’t create their own hardware, can’t create their own software, can’t create their own packaging, can’t create their own marketing. Why is it a surprise that they’ve also failed to create meaningful relationships with their carriers?

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #10 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

A two weeks earlier head-start means a better window to get more S5 units sold before Apple comes out with a new iPhone.

Why in the world does that matter to you when you've worn out your soapbox by exclaiming on high that Apple is on a downward spiral without Jobs?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #11 of 44

It packs a 5.1-inch display, fingerprint sensor, and a heart rate monitor on the rear of device, located next to the camera."

 

Yes, and it comes with an attachable rubber handle to stir soup. It’s a seller.

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

Reply

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

Reply
post #12 of 44
Reaping the results of unethical practice from the seeds of unethical practice they have sowed. IOW if they can scoff at ethics, others will too, by example.
post #13 of 44

Samsung are puzzled about a lot of things . . .

 

Phone releases, Intellectual Property laws, marketing, etc. 

post #14 of 44

Sounds like some people will soon be "visiting their relatives up north".   

post #15 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post
 

The tech writers and even some Samsung fanboys admit the S5 is more of an improved S4 than something really new. Samsung admits the fingerprint login is not as evolved as the iPhone’s TouchID. I have a hunch the S5 will sell well but not blow the doors off. The next iPhone, however, could be a real barn burner.

 

Apple put out their voice recognition a little bit before it was ready -- and they still have to deal with jokes about calling mom. Regardless, the consumer marketplace is used to things that "just work" and have no care for how incredibly difficult speech to text really is (hence the improvement in voice recognition via samples over time). Suffice to say -- this "push it out early so we can avoid a punishment from the law" is short-term thinking and liable to bite them on the ass.

 

My mom got an S5 for $50 (yeah, and of course the carrier subsidizes) -- that's a sweet deal. If they lose the subsidy and then have fingerprint recognition that doesn't work -- that's going to kill the premium brand identity they want to maintain.

 

I can see the jokes already about the dog unlocking your phone and ordering bones with your credit card. Fingerprint recognition that isn't 100% is useless and not worth having.

 

I'm not well studied in Korean business, but I was under the impression they had a lot of mono-corporations. A touch of fascism where one car maker, one telecom and one electronics company and the government stands behind them. Samsung isn't "Korea electronics"? Or was this punishment designed as a way to save face and they aren't going to enforce it? Samsung could just call every new phone the same old phone, after all.

 

But we can't throw stones. All the cable and ISPs are merging and the US looks more and more like banana Republic business every day.

post #16 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post
 

Samsung are puzzled about a lot of things . . .

 

Phone releases, Intellectual Property laws, marketing, etc. 

 

The "puzzled" part of it to me smacks of them doing what they want and acting surprised. It's part of the Dog and Pony show. If they were actually surprised, I'm guessing they wouldn't admit it. They's be shocked and outraged.

post #17 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Why in the world does that matter to you when you've worn out your soapbox by exclaiming on high that Apple is on a downward spiral without Jobs?

Don't bother with him.

----

I guess Sammy didn't write a bigger check? They sure won't punish the carriers by holding future releases a bit so Sammy is basically powerless.
post #18 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post
 

The tech writers and even some Samsung fanboys admit the S5 is more of an improved S4 than something really new. Samsung admits the fingerprint login is not as evolved as the iPhone’s TouchID. I have a hunch the S5 will sell well but not blow the doors off. The next iPhone, however, could be a real barn burner.

 

I don't think there's a whole lot of 'new' in smartphones coming down the pike.  Heartbeat sensor/bio fitness stuff is nice but not really enough to redefine things.  So it's a little like PC's where yes, things progress- but the need to run out and buy a new one every year is getting less and less.  I think Apple has an advantage there because Apple fans always want to run out and buy the latest release in Q4.  Android has a lot flatter sales that don't spike with new releases, and I think the S5 is going to have the most *yawn* reception of all the Galaxy 'S' series to date.

 

Apple could have an interesting year.  If they release improved iteration of the 5s I think that will be a bestseller (I know, I'm going out on a limb there).  If they *do* release the rumored big screen phone alongside it that's where things could get interesting.  Would be interesting to see if Apple packs a lot more punch into it, or if it is more of an equivalent to its smaller screened sibling.

 

I hope if they do make a big one rather than try to get an extra millimeter thin or end up with a 'camera bulge' they just pack a big battery into it.  It is nice to just have 'battery life' as a minor occasional nuisance than a daily concern.

post #19 of 44
But now they cannot have cake!

At least Samsung users won't have to stand in lines being hip all day waiting for launch. Now There's no chance for the Apple fanboys to make snarky comments.

But no CAKE either... Launching a new phone is a good excuse for cake.
post #20 of 44

Didn't that phone come out ages ago?

post #21 of 44
Preemptive strike against the HTC One maybe?
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #22 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob53 View Post
 

It's South Korea, land of companies that don't follow the law. Several telecoms have been found guilty of providing illegal subsidies, not just SK Telecom, and Samsung has been found guilty of improperly using other company's intellectual property. Why would you think any of these companies would play by the rules?

Why can't you contribute to the thread with constructive and factually correct comments.

The thread is about SK Telecom launching the GS5 earlier.  It is not appropriate, nor correct and not even relevant to comment about South Korea as being a lawless land.

May I remind you where the financial crises begun and continues to strive?  Or shall we talk about the US's goverment's lack of remorse and action to correct their criminal acts in invading the privacy of its citizens and beyond?  Or since you are alluring to Apple as an innocent victim shall we talk about Apple's own run ins with IP violation or the recent e-book price fixing scandal?

 

I agree that some practices described in the article are questionable, but there is no need to characterize Korea as you did.

post #23 of 44

I'm puzzled that Samsung would choose to launch a flagship phone during the 45-day period.  They should have done it before or after.  Oops.

You did not come into the world to fail. You came into the world to succeed.

- Gordon Hinckley

Reply

You did not come into the world to fail. You came into the world to succeed.

- Gordon Hinckley

Reply
post #24 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post
 

Samsung should forget the coordinated protocol and simply get as many Galaxy S5 smartphones sold as possible.  A two weeks earlier head-start means a better window to get more S5 units sold before Apple comes out with a new iPhone.  I'm not sure why Samsung is so puzzled.  Each carrier wants to be the first to get consumers into their stores before the other carriers.

 

 

 

 

Interesting view that Samsung may be turning a blind eye to capitalize on sales prior to the suspension taking place.  Quite possibly IMO.


Edited by TorontoMaple - 3/27/14 at 10:48am
post #25 of 44

Yes.  I agree as well.  Releasing a new and revolutionary phone every year is extremely difficult.

The early launches leapfrogged previous versions because of all the cumulative ideas and features that existed prior to the birth of the smartphone industry.  However, note that everyone is having trouble launching significantly new products every year, even for the best of the best (i.e. iPhone 4, 4S, 5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post
 

The tech writers and even some Samsung fanboys admit the S5 is more of an improved S4 than something really new. Samsung admits the fingerprint login is not as evolved as the iPhone’s TouchID. I have a hunch the S5 will sell well but not blow the doors off. The next iPhone, however, could be a real barn burner.


Edited by TorontoMaple - 3/27/14 at 10:49am
post #26 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

Because they’re worthless, pathetic idiots. That’s basically what it boils down to. Can’t create their own hardware, can’t create their own software, can’t create their own packaging, can’t create their own marketing. Why is it a surprise that they’ve also failed to create meaningful relationships with their carriers?

 

 

Hum....

Explain why the majority of components in the iPod, iPhone are Samsung developed and manufactured components?

Even Apple can't cut its dependence on Samsung components...

 

Maybe bad team of lawyers yes and sales managers.. But to call them names and to say they can't create anything makes you loose credibility.


Edited by TorontoMaple - 3/27/14 at 10:50am
post #27 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinglesthula View Post

I'm puzzled that Samsung would choose to launch a flagship phone during the 45-day period.  They should have done it before or after.  Oops.

Why not? The 45 day period bars them from signing up new customers, not current ones that are upgrade eligible.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #28 of 44
Originally Posted by TorontoMaple View Post

Explain why the majority of components in the iPod, iPhone are Samsung developed and manufactured components?

 

Because that has nothing whatsoever to do with the argument being made. Also, they didn’t develop the components.

 
But to call them names and to say they can't create anything makes you loose credibility. 

 

That sure explains why they can’t seem to create anything, though, huh. :no: You know exactly what we’re discussing.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #29 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoMaple View Post

Explain why the majority of components in the iPod, iPhone are Samsung developed and manufactured components?

Do you have any proof that the majority of components in the iPod and iPhone are Samsung developed and manufactured?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #30 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoMaple View Post
 

 

 

Hum....

Explain why the majority of components in the iPod, iPhone are Samsung developed and manufactured components?

I think you need to look up the word "majority" in the dictionary.

The FEW components that Apple tap Samsung for are made under Apple's instructions. Samsung are good at being told what to do, it's just an issue when they try to do something by themselves. They realised that they are no good at original stuff so they try and copy.

post #31 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fake_William_Shatner View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post
 

Samsung are puzzled about a lot of things . . .

 

Phone releases, Intellectual Property laws, marketing, etc. 

 

The "puzzled" part of it to me smacks of them doing what they want and acting surprised. It's part of the Dog and Pony show. If they were actually surprised, I'm guessing they wouldn't admit it. They's be shocked and outraged.

 

Exactly. They are letting the carriers in South Korea launch early before the blackout dates for new subscriptions goes into effect. Samsung being puzzled is a show for the rest of the carriers around the world that have to wait until the 11th.

post #32 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilution View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoMaple View Post
 

 

 

Hum....

Explain why the majority of components in the iPod, iPhone are Samsung developed and manufactured components?

I think you need to look up the word "majority" in the dictionary.

The FEW components that Apple tap Samsung for are made under Apple's instructions. Samsung are good at being told what to do, it's just an issue when they try to do something by themselves. They realised that they are no good at original stuff so they try and copy.

 

I think he is mixing up the comments about majority of the BOM cost with majority of the components. The components Samsung makes just happen to be some of the largest cost drivers in the device, but certainly not the actual majority of the components.

post #33 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by iaeen View Post

How is it possible that does Samsung not have some sort of contract that covers this?


Many tech companies have clauses that cover this but find their products sold before official release dates anyhow. I recall this happening to Microsoft with their X-Box and I think even Apple's had some iPhones ship/sold to customers before the official date.

post #34 of 44
Originally Posted by Phone-UI-Guy View Post
 

 

I think he is mixing up the comments about majority of the BOM cost with majority of the components. The components Samsung makes just happen to be some of the largest cost drivers in the device, but certainly not the actual majority of the components.

My apologies.  You may be right.  
Nonetheless, my point is that a number of Apple products depend on Samsung made and developed components.  Some are straight out of Samsung's R&D Labs and some are ODM'd under Apple's requirements.

 

The main point is that we cannot label a company that has quite a portfolio of innovative products and standard essential technology as not capable of anything other than copying or doing what they are told.

post #35 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilution View Post
 

I think you need to look up the word "majority" in the dictionary.

The FEW components that Apple tap Samsung for are made under Apple's instructions. Samsung are good at being told what to do, it's just an issue when they try to do something by themselves. They realised that they are no good at original stuff so they try and copy.

 

Somebody already addressed the meaning of majority.  This is not the main point.  I take responsibility if the use of the word "majority" was mis used.  Let's replace it with the word "significant".

 

The main point is that you cannot label a company that innovates and contributes with standard essential technology as not good at original stuff.  Unless your knowledge of samsung is limited to what you see at your local bestbuy....  I think you need to look up the company "Samsung"....

post #36 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


Do you have any proof that the majority of components in the iPod and iPhone are Samsung developed and manufactured?

The word "majority" may not be accurate as somebody else pointed out.  I take responsibility for the mis use.  Let's re phrase it with the word "significant"

 

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424127887324682204578513882349940500

post #37 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoMaple View Post

The word "majority" may not be accurate as somebody else pointed out.  I take responsibility for the mis use.  Let's re phrase it with the word "significant"

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424127887324682204578513882349940500

That has a paywall you'll have to cite these significant number of components and argue your case.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #38 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

Because that has nothing whatsoever to do with the argument being made. Also, they didn’t develop the components.

 

That sure explains why they can’t seem to create anything, though, huh. :no: You know exactly what we’re discussing.

What do you mean it has nothing to do with the argument.    You claimed that Samsung cannot create packaging, H/W, S/W, nothing... So I am stating that you are incorrect.  They have created quite a lot of components and technology that cannot be replaced including standard essential technology.  Including those used in the iPhone, iPad, iPod.

I may agree with you that they may not be the best in some categories but I would not go as far as you in calling them a pathetic bunch good for nothing but copying.  

post #39 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoMaple View Post
 

Why can't you contribute to the thread with constructive and factually correct comments.

The thread is about SK Telecom launching the GS5 earlier.  It is not appropriate, nor correct and not even relevant to comment about South Korea as being a lawless land.

May I remind you where the financial crises begun and continues to strive?  Or shall we talk about the US's goverment's lack of remorse and action to correct their criminal acts in invading the privacy of its citizens and beyond?  Or since you are alluring to Apple as an innocent victim shall we talk about Apple's own run ins with IP violation or the recent e-book price fixing scandal?

 

I agree that some practices described in the article are questionable, but there is no need to characterize Korea as you did.

 

In which country was the head of a major electronics firm convicted of bribery (among other things) and pardoned, effectively getting off scot free?

 

Which Korea?

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #40 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoMaple View Post
 

They [Samsung] have created quite a lot of components and technology that cannot be replaced including standard essential technology.  Including those used in the iPhone, iPad, iPod.

 

Like the one's a Japanese court found Apple neither use or infringe?

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Samsung 'puzzled' as South Korean carriers upstage Galaxy S5 launch with early sales
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung 'puzzled' as South Korean carriers upstage Galaxy S5 launch with early sales