or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Microsoft Office for iPad launches today, requires Office 365 subscription for editing
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Microsoft Office for iPad launches today, requires Office 365 subscription for editing - Page 2

post #41 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post
 

Maybe one of the reasons women in tech are as elusive as unicorns is because when they do an outstanding job, the quality of their work is not the thing they are complimented on, it's their appearance.

 

Thank you Officer Paul of the PC Police.

 

I suppose we should see all people as androgynous, faceless entities.  Like computers.  Wait, but not Macs, they're attractive.  Maybe like Dell boxes from the 90s.  Yeah, that'll work.

 

I don't know the woman but she appears to be very good at what she does.  She is obviously a very intelligent and highly-skilled person.  A great presenter.  And attractive as well.  The complete package.  I wish I were the male equivalent.  I wouldn't even feel discriminated against for it.

 

You did note we make fun of Ballmer's appearance (among other things)?  Geez, can't a white male catch a break in the tech industry?  ;)

FEAR GOOGLE
Reply
FEAR GOOGLE
Reply
post #42 of 105

Didn't get passed the word "subscription" in the title.

post #43 of 105
Both Apple and MS stock are down today (along with the broader market) so obviously this announcement was a big 'meh' to Wall Street.
post #44 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadarTheKat View Post

So, if a user already has a 365 sub, purchased prior to downloading the free iPad app, with that sub, when logging in, enable editing? I'm guessing yes, thus bypassing the 30% commission paid to Apple's App store.  Seems like MSFT has a way around the App store commissions unless Apple has done something to prevent this.  

Apple doesn't take a percent of subscriptions unless they are purchased through the app. Never have and the free app linked to subscription purchased elsewhere model is standard operating procedure (Netflix, Hulu plus, amazon prime, etc).
post #45 of 105
1biggrin.gif
Edited by eightzero - 4/3/14 at 10:23am
post #46 of 105
I converted to iWork some time ago. It fulfils my needs.

I will not buy a recurring license to software. Not no way, not no how.

Rather interesting to see MS continue to marginalize itself. When I have a tech need, MS is the last place I think of.

That said, I'm forced by my employer to use their stuff.
post #47 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHotFuzz View Post
 

I don't know the woman but she appears to be very good at what she does.  She is obviously a very intelligent and highly-skilled person.  A great presenter.  And attractive as well.  The complete package.  I wish I were the male equivalent.  I wouldn't even feel discriminated against for it.

 

You did note we make fun of Ballmer's appearance (among other things)?  Geez, can't a white male catch a break in the tech industry?  ;)

 

So you describe her as "The complete package".  If she were unattractive she would be an incomplete package?

 

I made fun of Ballmer because he ran across the stage shouting "Whoop", "I love this company" and "Developers, developers, developers, developers".  That guys actions were ridiculous, not his appearance.

 

I firmly believe that in an industry where we continue to struggle to find talent, we need to make sure we attract and retain the best people.  Sadly, women are put off entering tech because of things like this (while I'm sure there was an enormous amount more to it, Julie Ann Horvath leaving GitHub because of the sexism she faced is a very public indication that we have a problem with sexism in our industry) and we need to resolve it.  Engineering will continue to struggle for talent if we provide reasons for 50% of the populace to not consider it.

post #48 of 105

I seriously doubt that's the reason there aren't many women in tech.  If that were true, there would be no women in any career.

post #49 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

I wonder if women (or gay men for that matter) feel the need to comment on the attractiveness or otherwise of Mark Zuckerberg, Tim Cook et al when they do product introductions?

The tech world has a long way to go with its treatment of women.......
Yes they do. I have no idea why the liberal left wants everyone to be blind and think everyone looks the same.
post #50 of 105
Microsoft lost me when it went to the new subscription program. I removed Word 11 from my machine.
post #51 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post
 

 

So you describe her as "The complete package".  If she were unattractive she would be an incomplete package?

 

Of course.  Just like a man.  That's not sexism.  That's human perception/desire.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

 

I made fun of Ballmer because he ran across the stage shouting "Whoop", "I love this company" and "Developers, developers, developers, developers".  That guys actions were ridiculous, not his appearance.

 

No, the appearance was ridiculous too.  Hey, he's got his billions to make him feel better.  I'm ugly and I got nothing.  So there's that.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

 

I firmly believe that in an industry where we continue to struggle to find talent, we need to make sure we attract and retain the best people.  Sadly, women are put off entering tech because of things like this

 

Yes, I'm sure calling Julia White "attractive" just killed the plans for a career in tech for thousands of young women.

 

Of course there's sexism in tech.  And the world.  But calling a presenter attractive - because, well, she is - does not seem to be cause for alarm.

 

Ugly women (and men) may disagree.

FEAR GOOGLE
Reply
FEAR GOOGLE
Reply
post #52 of 105

The Ribbon menu?  Forget it.  I hate the Ribbon menu.

It probably supports OneDrive as well.  Forget it.

Office 365 Subscription? Well I can understand that but... Forget it.

 

I'll stick to iWork and iCloud thank you.

post #53 of 105
Macworld's initial review is Office for iPad is as good or better than iWork. Which is good as it will force Apple to make iWork even better (and hopefully provide more frequent updates). I still wonder though if the delta is enough to get people to pay $9/mo when iWork suite is free.

http://www.macworld.com/article/2114020/first-look-microsoft-office-for-ipad-takes-aim-at-iwork.html
post #54 of 105

When is it available? I couldn't find it on the App Store.

 

Edit: I found it

 

https://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/microsoft-corporation/id298856275

 

Then slide iPad apps to find Word, Excel, PowerPoint as separate apps.

 

I guess they only offer those three apps.


Edited by mstone - 3/27/14 at 11:44am

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #55 of 105

Can you edit on a plane or where you do not have an internet connection? I wonder if they through they through.

post #56 of 105
Another subscription service I'll say no to.
post #57 of 105

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Macworld's initial review is Office for iPad is as good or better than iWork. Which is good as it will force Apple to make iWork even better (and hopefully provide more frequent updates).

 

It is alarming how un-seriously Apple seems to be taking iWork right now.  Things were great (but needed to get better), then they took a major step backwards with the new versions.  Fine, new foundation, new framework, we get it.  A necessary setback to move forward.  Great.  But how about we step on the gas pedal a little?  (Or better yet, a lot?)

FEAR GOOGLE
Reply
FEAR GOOGLE
Reply
post #58 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

Yes they do. I have no idea why the liberal left wants everyone to be blind and think everyone looks the same.

What are you talking about? Straw man much? Do you even know what liberal means?
post #59 of 105
Wake me up when it doesn't require an Office 365 subscription... zzzzzzz.
post #60 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

Can you edit on a plane or where you do not have an internet connection? I wonder if they through they through.
Good point. Also, I wonder if you what you what?
post #61 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHotFuzz View Post
 


If I were a woman (which I'm not), I'd much rather see an attractive man present a new product than Crazy Uncle Ballmer.

 

As a man, I'd much rather see an attractive woman present a new product than Crazy Uncle Ballmer.

 

Also, as a man, I'd much rather see an attractive man present a new product than Crazy Uncle Ballmer.

 

I hope we're not going to turn this into a giant debate about sexism because someone called someone else attractive?  :rolleyes:

 

and,  I'd much rather see her than watching another Johnny Ive's commercial...

post #62 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I still wonder though if the delta is enough to get people to pay $9/mo when iWork suite is free.

 

I assume MS will try to work this into their advertising.

 

Along with their bogus "It comes with a real keyboard!" claim for Surface (Fine Print: Optional $99 Accessory), they can now start telling everyone "Office for iPad will cost you 120 bucks a year, but with Surface it's FREEEEEE!!!"

FEAR GOOGLE
Reply
FEAR GOOGLE
Reply
post #63 of 105
You would just type. The program is on the iPad and can save the document to the iPad as well. It will/can then sync up with onedrive later.

The student pricing for office 365 is something like one $70 dollar payment for a 4 year subscription. It covers fewer devices than the $99 a year subscription. There's also a $70 personal subscription too, again covers fewer devices.

For my personal needs, I am not sold on the subscriptions either. The free web versions (basic features) would probably work fine for me.
post #64 of 105
Quote: Office for iPad will use what Microsoft referred to as a "freemium model," allowing users to install the app view documents, but requiring a subscription to Office 365 to make edits.

If automakers had a similar model, we could park 'our' car in front of our homes, go out kick tires and and look at it anytime we want. The only thing we couldn't do would be to get in and drive it away. That's not a "freeminum model." That's simply a hideously crippled app.

The good news is that, with Microsoft now openly committed to supporting iPads, Apple has little reason not to enhance its iWorks apps to be equally powerful.
post #65 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by mytdave View Post

Wake me up when it doesn't require an Office 365 subscription... zzzzzzz.

I wouldn't buy it even if it was a stand alone app. I just don't need any of the advanced features they offer which may not be supported in iWork apps. I have not had Office on any Mac since like 2003 or whatever that version was. I have Windows Office for a fall back solution, but rarely used, in fact, the PC is rarely even turned on. For business people who need it, I'm pretty sure the subscription is not going to be an issue. Probably paid for by their company.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #66 of 105
Good to see Satya Nadella in lieu of Steve Ballmer. Which means, for the first time I have seen a quality show from Microsoft. Neat, sharp and very professional presentation. Very unlike all the previous ones in the Steve's era.

As for Office, the subscription cost is actually not for office product only. Talking of E3, It includes Email services and mailbox storage, Office Client, Office Online, OneDrive Cloud Storage, Sharepoint with its own storage, Lync, Yammer, Active Directory Integration among others.

Office for iPad is just one of the client programs. So is Office Mobile for iPhone and Windows Phone.

And yes, it doesn't actually need to remain connected. Works offline just as well.
post #67 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

The good news is that, with Microsoft now openly committed to supporting iPads, Apple has little reason not to enhance its iWorks apps to be equally powerful.

 

Whoa, hold on, be careful about the term "openly committed to supporting" when it comes to Microsoft on Apple platforms.  :wow:

 

We've all seen this movie before.

FEAR GOOGLE
Reply
FEAR GOOGLE
Reply
post #68 of 105

The freemium model is fair.  The pricing is not fair. 

post #69 of 105

I'm so glad I'm unemployed and hopefully never have to use "office" software ever again.

post #70 of 105

A lot of folks are focusing purely on the consumer side of this. The thing is, this is a big deal for enterprise. There are a lot of large customers that are going to be super stoked on this. As for the subscription, Microsoft now has a home personal subscription for $6.99 a month or $69 a year.

 

In addition to that, there is a huge upside for Apple selling iPad into the enterprise because of this. I bet there are a lot of large operations that have been hesitant to go more mobile because of a lack of Office.

post #71 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHotFuzz View Post
 

 

Whoa, hold on, be careful about the term "openly committed to supporting" when it comes to Microsoft on Apple platforms.  :wow:

 

We've all seen this movie before.

 

Not under the current CEO. Based on what I have seen with regards to Azure and how well regarded it is, I am at least willing to give the new CEO the benefit of the doubt. Even Brent Simmons who is a prominent Apple developer has spoken highly of Azure.

post #72 of 105

Brilliant move by Microsoft. iPads already totally dominate tablet usage in Enterprise and being able to use Office on those devices just further adds to Apple's tablet dominance.

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Reply

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Reply
post #73 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

(I have no doubt that they'll ultimately come up with some type of student edition pricing sooner than later).

They have a 4 year subscription, $79 version.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

iPad apps to find Word, Excel, PowerPoint as separate apps.

I don't get this either. Each app says it's 'part of Office for iPad' yet they are all separate downloads. Guess they mean that all three apps are part of a free upgrade scheme for those who bought the $99 'Office 365 for iPad subscription'.

I must say they got the toolbar right: a single line of tabs (remember those windows with three lines of tabs, resulting in a scetzofrenic experience when they move about?) and a single line of function from that tab:




There are now 4 articles published today on AI about MS Office for iPad, yet none have a link to the presentation. Anyone has a link for me? TIA
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
Reply
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
Reply
post #74 of 105

Great.  Just great.  So now BestBuy and Microsoft are going to have to change their marketing approach since Office is no longer exclusive to Surface.  Now if only Apple could "invent" an iPad kickstand...

post #75 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceek74 View Post
 

Now if only Apple could "invent" an iPad kickstand...

 

Ha!

 

This release has got me hoping even more for a bigger "pro" iPad.

 

With Office on a 12" iPad, I could easily use that as a traveling device, then go for a Mac Pro on my desk at the office.

post #76 of 105

"requiring users to subscribe to its Office 365 service for editing documents."

 

After that I stopped reading.

post #77 of 105

Tim Cook tweeting about this and Office getting prominent placement on the App Store shows how big a deal this is. iWork is a consumer focused product. Sure a large number of small businesses will use it iWork, not a single enterprise will base their business on iWork. I personally use iWork because I like how it works much more, I know a lot of folks that are super excited about this.

post #78 of 105

Using iWork for the next 5 years would cost me $0.

 

Using Office for the next 5 years would cost me $500.

 

LMAO. I knew this was coming, but its still hilarious. They will take advantage of the people that don't know any better and think you still need Microsoft Office to type a letter or open a spreadsheet.

post #79 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by foad View Post
 

Tim Cook tweeting about this and Office getting prominent placement on the App Store shows how big a deal this is. iWork is a consumer focused product. Sure a large number of small businesses will use it iWork, not a single enterprise will base their business on iWork. I personally use iWork because I like how it works much more, I know a lot of folks that are super excited about this.

You know people who are super excited about paying $100 a year to use Apps no more or less useful/capable than Free alternatives?

post #80 of 105
iWork is better and free!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Microsoft Office for iPad launches today, requires Office 365 subscription for editing
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Microsoft Office for iPad launches today, requires Office 365 subscription for editing