or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Japanese newspaper repeats persistent 'iPhone 6' rumors: 2 screen sizes, Sept. launch
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Japanese newspaper repeats persistent 'iPhone 6' rumors: 2 screen sizes, Sept. launch

post #1 of 62
Thread Starter 
Apple is readying two variants of the so-called iPhone 6 with significantly larger 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch displays for a September launch, according to a Thursday report from the Land of the Rising Sun.

iPhone Plus
Mockup of iPhone with 4.94-inch screen, created by Marco Arment.


In support of the effort, Apple component suppliers in the East Asian nation have already "apparently begun" manufacturing sensors and display parts, Japanese financial newspaper Nikkei said. That lines up with previous reports of a new dual-size strategy for the iPhone, though there is debate amongst analysts as to exactly what those sizes will be.

Many believe that the company will at least trial a handset with a display over 5 inches, but well-connected analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities disagrees. Kuo, who has repeatedly proven to be an accurate source of Apple moves in the past, instead argues that Apple will not exceed the 5 inch threshold due to their "unwavering" dedication to the idea of easy one-handed use.

That aside, Sharp, Japan Display, and LG are all expected have a hand in producing the iPhone 6's Retina display. Nikkei also believes that the screen will sport a "significantly higher" resolution than Apple's current 326 pixel-per-inch offering.

Other features rumored to be bound for the iPhone 6 are a new sapphire-coated display and an iPad mini-esque industrial design with a significantly reduced bezel. Upgrades to the device's camera could also be in the offing, with some suggesting that Apple may upgrade to a 10 megapixel f/1.8 shooter with interchangeable lenses.
post #2 of 62
I hope Apple does not go all in for these gooney gigantanortisours phones.
post #3 of 62
1) Does this 4.94" screen allow for a 5x7 icon layout? Or 4x7, keeping the width the same? And how many on a 5.5" screen? How wide will that FF be? Current apps simply upscale, and debs can create iPhone6 optimised apps?

2) f/1.8 will be a Godsent!

Personally I think the phone is already too big; I liked the 3.5" screen model more. But ok, times change, but I sure hope they keep on selling the current FF alongside a larger phone. Otherwise I'm screwed: won't go for Android and it looks like WP8 is still a stillborn. Or is it?
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
Reply
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
Reply
post #4 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

1) Does this 4.94" screen allow for a 5x7 icon layout? Or 4x7, keeping the width the same? And how many on a 5.5" screen? How wide will that FF be? Current apps simply upscale, and debs can create iPhone6 optimised apps?

The only reason to go with the 4.94" device is so you can keep the iPhone UI exactly the same but use the iPad Air display's 264 PPI, so it would be the same as it currently is, just bigger. I hope this isn't the solution they go for.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #5 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Personally I think the phone is already too big; I liked the 3.5" screen model more. But ok, times change, but I sure hope they keep on selling the current FF alongside a larger phone. Otherwise I'm screwed: won't go for Android and it looks like WP8 is still a stillborn. Or is it?

Hopefully one day they'll diversify their lines into iPhone Mini / Air / Pro-style devices. That way, they'll have a device that's attractive to almost everyone.

post #6 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

The only reason to go with the 4.94" device is so you can keep the iPhone UI exactly the same but use the iPad Air display's 264 PPI, so it would be the same as it currently is, just bigger.

Thank you, that's clad then.

Does that mean we could see the return of the 17" MBP? Don't answer that...

Edit: I don't think I like this autocorrupt, every now and then: clad = clear
Edited by PhilBoogie - 3/27/14 at 2:03pm
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
Reply
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
Reply
post #7 of 62

To be fair, they should picture the phones with a hand to give us an idea of the scale. One will notice how ridiculous a 5.5" phone looks like.

Could it be that the screen sizes are meant for the iPod Touch instead? Unlike the iPhone you don't hold an iPod Touch next to your head … .

post #8 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

I hope Apple does not go all in for these gooney gigantanortisours phones.

 

I don't care if they do, as long as they keep the current 4.5" as an option. Although, it's not Apple's style to have too many SKUs, not to mention they have 5S and 5C lines now. Will be interesting to see how they tackle this. Whatever they do, I'm sure they would have put a shitload of thought into it. 

post #9 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr O View Post

Could it be that the screen sizes are meant for the iPod Touch instead? Unlike the iPhone you don't hold an iPod Touch next to your head … .

Good point; every article assumes that this display they have seen or heard of is for the next iPhone, while it could be for anything. A 5.5" display could easily be for Samsung's next watch¡
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
Reply
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
Reply
post #10 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr O View Post

To be fair, they should picture the phones with a hand to give us an idea of the scale. One will notice how ridiculous a 5.5" phone looks like.


Could it be that the screen sizes are meant for the iPod Touch instead? Unlike the iPhone you don't hold an iPod Touch next to your head … .

Showing it next to a hand is not a good reference to size. Imagine if they used Kobe's hand then a 5.5 inch device will make since. If they use say a small womans hand then you have a giant phone. Referencing it to phones already available is the best way. Plus 5.5" done well is not too large and works well. Hate to say it but look at the note series its not to large of a phone for those who use it. And the keywords are those who use it.
post #11 of 62
For sure they should offer both. Those of us that want a larger screen usually use some form of headset. I could really use the screen size for many applications. But certainly many others like them pocketable so I hope they use some of their BILLIONS of cash and develop two models.
post #12 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post
 

 

I don't care if they do, as long as they keep the current 4.5" as an option. Although, it's not Apple's style to have too many SKUs, not to mention they have 5S and 5C lines now. Will be interesting to see how they tackle this. Whatever they do, I'm sure they would have put a shitload of thought into it. 

4.5" - Aye? The current option is 4".

post #13 of 62
If this comes to pass, I shall miss being a fashion savvy iPhone user. Instead, I'll have to settle for looking like a Best Buy tech nerd. I'll have to get bigger nerd pockets. Maybe I'll have to learn to talk like a tech nerd: learn all those Intel/Qualcomm/nvidia codenames. Memorize the gigahertzes and chip specs. Start pretending to care about "open source" and Bitcoin. I hope Apple publishes a guide to looking like an Android user, so I'll fit right in with my giant two-handed iPhablet. 1smile.gif

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #14 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post
 

 

I don't care if they do, as long as they keep the current 4.5" as an option. Although, it's not Apple's style to have too many SKUs, not to mention they have 5S and 5C lines now. Will be interesting to see how they tackle this. Whatever they do, I'm sure they would have put a shitload of thought into it. 

 

The size difference between the 5S and a bezeless 4.7 iPhone6 will be minimal.

 

Like the iPod the iPhone will have a more diverse line of products.  iPod has the shuffle, Classic, nano, and touch.  I can easily see more iPhone variants because massive growth is now done.

 

Possible line up

 

Low tier: iPhone C $450

Mid tier: iPhone Air (4 inch screen, ultra thin) $650

High tier: iPhone Pro (4.7 inch screen and 5.5 inch) $700-$750

post #15 of 62

Can't wait. 

post #16 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
 
The only reason to go with the 4.94" device is so you can keep the iPhone UI exactly the same but use the iPad Air display's 264 PPI, so it would be the same as it currently is, just bigger. I hope this isn't the solution they go for.

The iPhone 6G, geriatric model. Honestly though, I could use a little bit larger type sometimes. As long as a larger phone still fits easily in a front jeans pocket, I wouldn't mind it being a little larger, but only if the text is a little larger. I don't need more screen real estate if it is going to have the same 4 point type currently used in some areas of the interface.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #17 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

The iPhone 6G, geriatric model. Honestly though, I could use a little bit larger type sometimes.  As long as a larger phone still fits easily in a front jeans pocket, I wouldn't mind it being a little larger, but only if the text is a little larger. I don't need more screen real estate if it is going to have the same 4 point type currently used in some areas of the interface.

Apple has a nice system for increasing (and decreasing) the font sizes in iOS 7.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #18 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Apple has a nice system for increasing (and decreasing) the font sizes in iOS 7.

Doesn't work in my opinion. It really screws things up and doesn't affect many aspects of the GUI.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #19 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLite View Post
 

Hopefully one day they'll diversify their lines into iPhone Mini / Air / Pro-style devices. That way, they'll have a device that's attractive to almost everyone.


Just had to start using a Sammy S4 for work... liking the bigger screen size. Yes- do notice the one handed use is much more awkward.

IMO-it is a conundrum- for phone use, music listening, pocket storage, sport carry  etc, definitely small is better; but for reading, watching, larger is better.

 

iPhone 18s- 1"x 2"x 0.10" but now with a integrated fold-out 22inch double retina display!

Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Reply
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Reply
post #20 of 62

About 5" was my ideal new iPhone so if I have a choice between 4.7" and 5.5" i will have to see them in person and hold them to decide. If I had to choose right now I think I would go for the 5.5" model simply because a larger display is just so addictive. It is funny switching between the iPad and 5s, you have a sort of display shock when you use both and go back to an iPhone. Everything looks so tiny especially when you use the same apps. Clash of clans looks absolutely tiny for example.  It would be very easy to get used to a 5.5" iPhone after using a 4" one that drives me bonkers at how small it is. 

post #21 of 62


To hell with the phone; they just better come out with "SOME  THING" by this spring / summer.

post #22 of 62
Who gives 2 shits. It is what it is.

Why go 4.7 or 5.5 if the width stays the same. UGLY it will BE.
post #23 of 62
Hopefully, Apple won't abandon the current screen size. Some people, particularly petite women, like their phones small and easy to hold. Keeping the current size and adding a significantly larger one makes more sense.
I'd suggest keeping most of the other specs the same but giving the larger one a longer battery life, something iPhones have long needed.
post #24 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Silvy View Post

Who gives 2 shits. It is what it is.

Why go 4.7 or 5.5 if the width stays the same. UGLY it will BE.

-1
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
Reply
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
Reply
post #25 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr O View Post

To be fair, they should picture the phones with a hand to give us an idea of the scale. One will notice how ridiculous a 5.5" phone looks like.


Could it be that the screen sizes are meant for the iPod Touch instead? Unlike the iPhone you don't hold an iPod Touch next to your head … .

Showing it next to a hand is not a good reference to size. Imagine if they used Kobe's hand then a 5.5 inch device will make since. If they use say a small womans hand then you have a giant phone. Referencing it to phones already available is the best way. Plus 5.5" done well is not too large and works well. Hate to say it but look at the note series its not to large of a phone for those who use it. And the keywords are those who use it.

If they used the same hand it would reflect the size difference.
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
Reply
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
Reply
post #26 of 62
Originally Posted by Grey Silvy View Post
Who gives 2 shits. It is what it is. Why go 4.7 or 5.5 if the width stays the same. UGLY it will BE.

 

Maybe just go find another website to be clueless on?

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #27 of 62
Ugh so this is like the 35456th story on this rumor? IMO, Apple won't release a Phablet sized (>5") iPhone. I hope they keep the 4" and introduce a < 5" model.
post #28 of 62

What I'm saying is if the phone gets taller say 6 inches tall or more and stays 2.5 to 2.75 inches wide it will look like CRAP.

A long skinny phone?

The 5S is perfect and why mess with perfection?

post #29 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

I hope Apple does not go all in for these gooney gigantanortisours phones.

I have no love for the over sized cell phones either. Most people, guys especially want a phone that can fit into their pocket. Woman on the other hand are more variable, some of them can carry a 27" iMac in their hand bags! 😳  

I will likely hurl if I start to see people carrying their cell phones on their belts via big leather sacks. It would be a like a throw back to the days of the HP calculator in many engineering offices.
post #30 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr O View Post

Could it be that the screen sizes are meant for the iPod Touch instead? Unlike the iPhone you don't hold an iPod Touch next to your head … .

Good point; every article assumes that this display they have seen or heard of is for the next iPhone, while it could be for anything. A 5.5" display could easily be for Samsung's next watch¡

 

LMAO - but could be true!

post #31 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post
 

 

The size difference between the 5S and a bezeless 4.7 iPhone6 will be minimal.

 

Like the iPod the iPhone will have a more diverse line of products.  iPod has the shuffle, Classic, nano, and touch.  I can easily see more iPhone variants because massive growth is now done.

 

Possible line up

 

Low tier: iPhone C $450

Mid tier: iPhone Air (4 inch screen, ultra thin) $650

High tier: iPhone Pro (4.7 inch screen and 5.5 inch) $700-$750

 

Yes, except I don't think Apple will launch 5.5" this year.  Maybe 2015.

4.7" yes.  5.5" no.

post #32 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Personally I think the phone is already too big; I liked the 3.5" screen model more. But ok, times change, but I sure hope they keep on selling the current FF alongside a larger phone. Otherwise I'm screwed: won't go for Android and it looks like WP8 is still a stillborn. Or is it?

Haven't left my 4 yet. Got the latest Mini, the Air... but elongated iPhone? Nah.

 

Obviously some time will come where I'll have to switch, probably soon due to iOS 8 being unlikely to run smooth on 4... but It's still so awesome. Please.

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

 

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Reply

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

 

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Reply
post #33 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post
 Woman on the other hand are more variable, some of them can carry a 27" iMac in their hand bags! 😳  

Maybe TS will make a photoshop of that...

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

 

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Reply

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

 

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Reply
post #34 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemE View Post

For sure they should offer both. Those of us that want a larger screen usually use some form of headset. I could really use the screen size for many applications. But certainly many others like them pocketable so I hope they use some of their BILLIONS of cash and develop two models.

Or you could buy an iPhone and an iPad and make them MORE billions. Problem solved, business case sound, everyone happy.

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

 

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Reply

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

 

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Reply
post #35 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


The only reason to go with the 4.94" device is so you can keep the iPhone UI exactly the same but use the iPad Air display's 264 PPI, so it would be the same as it currently is, just bigger. I hope this isn't the solution they go for.

Isn't really the only point though?

 

I mean look at iPad. They didn't keep the iPhone icons and UI button sizes, and just go all in on screen real estate. They scaled everything up, making it easier to see.

 

They could have left the icons at iPhone size, and gave you many more on each page of the Home Screen, and likewise just go ALL real estate throughout the UI....but they didn't.

 

Presumably, because with a bigger screen, you could make everything bigger, and thus easier to see. This helps, considering the bigger the screen the further away from your face you will hold it (naturally).

 

Personally, I would much prefer the iPhone UI and layout remain the same, but all UI elements grow larger to fill out the space. I don't need more real estate on my iPhone, but it would be nice if, on a slightly larger screen, if the UI elements were slightly larger and easier to see.

 

What would you rather have, another row of icons? And call that 'worth it' for a bigger iPhone?

post #36 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightknight View Post
 

Or you could buy an iPhone and an iPad and make them MORE billions. Problem solved, business case sound, everyone happy.

Way back when, someone (don't remember who) told Apple in the iPhone/iPad prototype phase to "Make it 5 inches and you'll rule the world".

 

What they didn't realize, is if you make one 4" and another 8"....people will buy BOTH! Muhahahahaha.

post #37 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Isn't really the only point though?

I mean look at iPad. They didn't keep the iPhone icons and UI button sizes, and just go all in on screen real estate. They scaled everything up, making it easier to see.

They could have left the icons at iPhone size, and gave you many more on each page of the Home Screen, and likewise just go ALL real estate throughout the UI....but they didn't.

Presumably, because with a bigger screen, you could make everything bigger, and thus easier to see. This helps, considering the bigger the screen the further away from your face you will hold it (naturally).

Personally, I would much prefer the iPhone UI and layout remain the same, but all UI elements grow larger to fill out the space. I don't need more real estate on my iPhone, but it would be nice if, on a slightly larger screen, if the UI elements were slightly larger and easier to see.

What would you rather have, another row of icons? And call that 'worth it' for a bigger iPhone?

I didn't word my comment properly by using "keep the iPhone UI exactly the same" and I'm not sure I understand your argument.

By using the 4.9404" display it would allow them to use the 264 PPI panels in the iPad Air which in turn means they not alter the UI in the current iPhone so that the elements are pixel-for-pixel identical but would all be slightly larger. This means the icons would be bigger but so would the space between the icons and so forth.

I think you're wanting the UI to be different so that it's optimized for a larger display, which means that a 4.9404" display is no longer a consideration. That said, Apple might find this to be the best display size but it would no longer be based on keeping the same pixel-for-pixel UI so it would be an unlikely coincidence.

Personally, I would like to see alter the UI to idealize it for a larger display — which doesn't necessarily mean more row or columns — and to use at least the 326 PPI used right now (or more) if their projections for display, backlight, GPU, and battery life going forward will make this feasible so they can still with it for a very long time.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #38 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post
 
Personally, I would much prefer the iPhone UI and layout remain the same, but all UI elements grow larger to fill out the space. I don't need more real estate on my iPhone, but it would be nice if, on a slightly larger screen, if the UI elements were slightly larger and easier to see.

I used to have perfect vision, but once I hit 40 my eyesight started getting a little fuzzy. Even corrective lens can't make your vision perfect again. I would like the UI elements a little bigger. That is the one area that the OS can't give control over to the end user. They allow you to make the content text larger but there is no point really because that is the part you can usually pinch zoom anyway. It is the tiny UI elements that are the problem for older eyes.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #39 of 62
Originally Posted by pmz View Post
Way back when, someone (don't remember who) told Apple in the iPhone/iPad prototype phase to "Make it 5 inches and you'll rule the world".

 

After the iPhone reveal at MacWorld, Steve asked Alan Kay what he thought about the device. Alan said, “Make the screen 5 inches by 8 inches and you’ll rule the world.”

 

And Steve did. He made the original iPad. THAT SIZE. FOR A REASON.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #40 of 62
I doubt they'll use the Mini design. The iPhone is still their flagship product, new designs are introducted with it. They are not just going to add sapphire without using it for doing something different.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Japanese newspaper repeats persistent 'iPhone 6' rumors: 2 screen sizes, Sept. launch
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Japanese newspaper repeats persistent 'iPhone 6' rumors: 2 screen sizes, Sept. launch