or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Japanese newspaper repeats persistent 'iPhone 6' rumors: 2 screen sizes, Sept. launch
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Japanese newspaper repeats persistent 'iPhone 6' rumors: 2 screen sizes, Sept. launch - Page 2

post #41 of 62
Kudos to AI on a very specific and accurate headline. Beats link bait any day! Well-written and not sensational.
post #42 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

After the iPhone reveal at MacWorld, Steve asked Alan Kay what he thought about the device. Alan said, “Make the screen 5 inches by 8 inches and you’ll rule the world.”

 

And Steve did. He made the original iPad. THAT SIZE. FOR A REASON.

LOL Ok I see misquoted. I just remembered the 5" part, as if that were the ideal size for a phablet device. Small enough to be enough, big enough to get a few more things done.

 

But I don't follow that logic at all. A phone should be easily pocketable and allow for one-handed use. The tablet should be large enough to perform certain tasks, or see certain amounts of content, and thus be more conducive to two-handed use.

 

All that aside, I think there is room to grow with iPhone. Not much, but some.

post #43 of 62

So Apple is thought to completely ditch the format of the most successfull phone on the planet?

post #44 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalM View Post

So Apple is thought to completely ditch the format of the most successfull phone on the planet?

If you don't do it someone else will. Look at what happened to BB for not ditching their most successful format in time.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #45 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


I didn't word my comment properly by using "keep the iPhone UI exactly the same" and I'm not sure I understand your argument.

By using the 4.9404" display it would allow them to use the 264 PPI panels in the iPad Air which in turn means they not alter the UI in the current iPhone so that the elements are pixel-for-pixel identical but would all be slightly larger. This means the icons would be bigger but so would the space between the icons and so forth.

I think you're wanting the UI to be different so that it's optimized for a larger display, which means that a 4.9404" display is no longer a consideration. That said, Apple might find this to be the best display size but it would no longer be based on keeping the same pixel-for-pixel UI so it would be an unlikely coincidence.

Personally, I would like to see alter the UI to idealize it for a larger display — which doesn't necessarily mean more row or columns — and to use at least the 326 PPI used right now (or more) if their projections for display, backlight, GPU, and battery life going forward will make this feasible so they can still with it for a very long time.

I gotcha. I think I'd be happy with a 4.9" display at 640 x 1136 at 264 PPI because I (think) I would prefer large elements on a larger screen. However, 264 is a bit of a drop from 326, and the elements won't be getting much larger, nor will the device be held much father from the eyes...so the end result could end up being a display that is simply not as sharp in normal use as the former iPhone 4 thru 5s.

 

However, the upside is for the App store...not a single App could need updating at all to immediately take advantage of the display...but would Apple consider that benefit reason enough?

 

OK, so on the extreme end of things...a 4.9" 1280 x 2272 display at 527 dpi. Insanely small pixels, probably not even possible in 2014.

 

If thats just out of the ballpark, then what new resolution is a real option for Apple? If they go up to 5.5", is the above resolution more doable?

post #46 of 62
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post
If you don't do it someone else will. Look at what happened to BB for not ditching their most successful format in time.

 

Don’t do what, ditch the most successful phone on the planet?

Not sure anyone else can do that while Apple still has the title.

post #47 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Don’t do what, ditch the most successful phone on the planet?


Not sure anyone else can do that while Apple still has the title.

I was speaking in generalities, and I agree that no one else can probably do that, but life experience has taught me that nothing is too big to fail.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #48 of 62

I don't see the problem with having more choices & 4 & 5 inch iPhone options would be awesome, i know people that don't like big phones & i know people that don't like small phones, its a deal breaker for them, so more options could bring more customers to Apple.
Its up to Apple if its worth it or not, the issues being some sort of fragmentation between the 4 & 5 inch models. 
I guess if they up the resolution on both models to 1080P (i think a 1600x900 res would be totally ok), so the developers would have an easier time of it.

post #49 of 62

As shown in Anand's review of the HTC One M8 ( Brilliant Phone, dont understand why Android Camp would use Samsung over it ), 5" with a tiny bezel is already on the verge of being too large, especially its height. It will need to be a no bezel design allows Apple to do a 5". 

 

As i have stated before, the likely thing ( with the current trends Apple are making ) will be a 1.5x increase in each direction, making pixel of 1704 x 960, which gives a 5" screen 391 PPI.

 

The 264 ppi will likely be too low now. It would had make sense when iPhone 5 era or in place of 5c.

 

Or Apple rethink the whole PPI, pixel, screen size etc from ground up.

 

 

There are only two kind of people in this world.

Those who dont understand Apple and those who misunderstood Apple.

Reply

There are only two kind of people in this world.

Those who dont understand Apple and those who misunderstood Apple.

Reply
post #50 of 62

Galaxy 5S hasn't been released, but it's OS has already been rooted.

 

http://wccftech.com/root-galaxy-s5-chainfire/

post #51 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post
 

 

The size difference between the 5S and a bezeless 4.7 iPhone6 will be minimal.

 

Like the iPod the iPhone will have a more diverse line of products.  iPod has the shuffle, Classic, nano, and touch.  I can easily see more iPhone variants because massive growth is now done.

 

Possible line up

 

Low tier: iPhone C $450

Mid tier: iPhone Air (4 inch screen, ultra thin) $650

High tier: iPhone Pro (4.7 inch screen and 5.5 inch) $700-$750

 

God, I hope not. Buying 3 iPhones a year will kill me.

post #52 of 62
Interesting that of the two manufacturers and plants named in the Nikkei article, one is associated with IGZO output (Sharp), and the other with LTPS (Japan Display).

I believe I read that the LTPS plant can do panels of greater than 600 ppi. Whatever they turn out to be, they must use a new technology in Apple-level quantities in order to justify Tim Cook's statements about there being no trade-offs if they do a larger screen.
post #53 of 62
Sounds like nonsense. Anything above 4.7'' is ridiculous IMO for a damn phone. Ok I'll acquiesce to folk with gigantic hands. But 5.5'' is still nonsense.
post #54 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksec View Post

Or Apple rethink the whole PPI, pixel, screen size etc from ground up.

Exactly. Perhaps it's time for Apple to ditch hard-coded pixel dimensions too.

Does it still make sense for an app to have two of each image asset?

Image.png
Image@2x.png

Why have both? The @2x image will just scale down on a non-Retina screen... and will look the same as the lower-rez image anyway. I don't see the point in having both.

When you are designing your app... you start by creating the bigger image in the first place. Then you have to make a 2nd smaller copy. It would be easier to just make the one bigger image that will work on both types of screens.

So what happens when Apple makes a higher resolution phone? Will you have to make 3 versions of each image?

Image.png
Image@2x.png
Image@3x.png (or whatever)

That seems a little ridiculous. You shouldn't have to do that.

You're right... Apple needs to rethink ALL of this.
post #55 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Silvy View Post
 

What I'm saying is if the phone gets taller say 6 inches tall or more and stays 2.5 to 2.75 inches wide it will look like CRAP.

A long skinny phone?

The 5S is perfect and why mess with perfection?

No. 5S is not perfect. It still has room to improve like edge-to-edge screen and smaller top/bottom bezels to make 4.5" screen, 720p, same chassis. Now that's perfection.

I Want My iOS UI Like in Apple Watch"
Reply
I Want My iOS UI Like in Apple Watch"
Reply
post #56 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Silvy View Post
 

What I'm saying is if the phone gets taller say 6 inches tall or more and stays 2.5 to 2.75 inches wide it will look like CRAP.

A long skinny phone?

The 5S is perfect and why mess with perfection?

No. 5S is not perfect. It still has room to improve like edge-to-edge screen and smaller top/bottom bezels to make 4.5" screen, 720p, same chassis. Now that's perfection.

perfection like beauty is subject8ve. There is a market for a bigger iPhone. You onky have to look at the sales of the galaxy range to see there are a lot of people who buy bigger phones.
The standpoint of "use one hand" defining how big a phone is is just holding Apple back and looking imho just plain silly. There is an un-met need for bigger phones. Price is nonissue as Apple price to the premium segment anyway.
post #57 of 62
Repeated and persistent rumors must be true, as Mr Chicken Little used to say.

Ignoring the goofiness of Apple prognosticators in general, there is obviously a market for different sized smart devices ever since the primary use of these devices moved beyond being simply a mobile phone. Calling them "smart phones" today is like calling a MacBook Pro a "Smart USB port." The iPhone has a phone feature, but as an always connected device it has so much more.

Why is Apple seemingly so late to the party? Tim Cook already explained this quite well. They didn't want to do "big" unless doing big was in line with their overall non compromising quality standards. I believe this extends all the way from the devices themselves to the backing ecosystem and tooling that would have to be in place to deliver on Apple's quality imperatives, one of which is usability and another is application portability across different screen sizes. They will figure these things out an they will offer different size options, maybe even an iPhone Nano, but only when they can do so without compromising on the key quality attributes of the product line. It's only a question of "when" at this point.

While I'm not eager to stuff a ginormous device into my pants pocket I wouldn't pretend that everyone else feels the same way. Same goes on the nano size which I wouldn't be able to see, much less keep from losing in the washing machine. On the jumbo size I think one of the best applications would be a total refresh of the iPod Touch product. I have zero doubts that a larger Touch would be a big hit for gamers. The extra footprint lends itself to pumping up the processing capability and battery capacity for a more immersive and multiplayer gaming experience. Basing a new "Super Touch" on an upscaled version of the iPhone 5C seems to make a lot of sense to me. The plastic body and color options play more into the market segment served by the Touch versus the super premium iPhone product line. I just don't see a compelling reason to base a Touch on the iPhone 5S. But the 5C, absolutely, and especially in a larger size and where one-handed use is not really a driving influence. It's not just games either, apps like GarageBand, DJ apps, and a scaled down Final Cut Pro (Personal) for doing tiny video production, and other forms of Personal Creativity apps would play out very well on a Super Touch device (and iPad) in my opinion. In fact, I think Apple should have rebranded the iPod Touch the iPad Nano years ago.

Have a nice day.
post #58 of 62
Looking forward to the BIG screen. Finally!!
post #59 of 62

"Ignoring the goofiness of Apple prognosticators in general, there is obviously a market for different sized smart devices ever since the primary use of these devices moved beyond being simply a mobile phone. Calling them "smart phones" today is like calling a MacBook Pro a "Smart USB port." The iPhone has a phone feature, but as an always connected device it has so much more.

Why is Apple seemingly so late to the party? Tim Cook already explained this quite well. They didn't want to do "big" unless doing big was in line with their overall non compromising quality standards. I believe this extends all the way from the devices themselves to the backing ecosystem and tooling that would have to be in place to deliver on Apple's quality imperatives, one of which is usability and another is application portability across different screen sizes. They will figure these things out an they will offer different size options, maybe even an iPhone Nano, but only when they can do so without compromising on the key quality attributes of the product line. It's only a question of "when" at this point.

While I'm not eager to stuff a ginormous device into my pants pocket I wouldn't pretend that everyone else feels the same way. Same goes on the nano size which I wouldn't be able to see, much less keep from losing in the washing machine. On the jumbo size I think one of the best applications would be a total refresh of the iPod Touch product. I have zero doubts that a larger Touch would be a big hit for gamers. The extra footprint lends itself to pumping up the processing capability and battery capacity for a more immersive and multiplayer gaming experience. Basing a new "Super Touch" on an upscaled version of the iPhone 5C seems to make a lot of sense to me. The plastic body and color options play more into the market segment served by the Touch versus the super premium iPhone product line. I just don't see a compelling reason to base a Touch on the iPhone 5S. But the 5C, absolutely, and especially in a larger size and where one-handed use is not really a driving influence. It's not just games either, apps like GarageBand, DJ apps, and a scaled down Final Cut Pro (Personal) for doing tiny video production, and other forms of Personal Creativity apps would play out very well on a Super Touch device (and iPad) in my opinion. In fact, I think Apple should have rebranded the iPod Touch the iPad Nano years ago.

Have a nice day."

 

Agree 100%         How many times does Apple need to keep saying it:  Function, function, function.

post #60 of 62
Originally Posted by Jume View Post
Finally!!

 

A less relevant word has never been expressed.

post #61 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Apple has a nice system for increasing (and decreasing) the font sizes in iOS 7.

They do, but it's a shame that they don't apply to half the fonts you see.
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #62 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Apple has a nice system for increasing (and decreasing) the font sizes in iOS 7.

They do, but it's a shame that they don't apply to half the fonts you see.

This is true. Also it only applies to a few core apps from Apple, but certainly not all. They need support for 'Dynamic Type'. And even if all apps meet this requirement, the layout on buttons gets in the way when increasing the font size.
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
Reply
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Japanese newspaper repeats persistent 'iPhone 6' rumors: 2 screen sizes, Sept. launch
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Japanese newspaper repeats persistent 'iPhone 6' rumors: 2 screen sizes, Sept. launch