or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › How Wikipedia's sloppy facts obscured reality in Apple vs. Samsung trial

How Wikipedia's sloppy facts obscured reality in Apple vs. Samsung trial - Page 4

post #121 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Curious if thats just the Galaxy S series or all Galaxy models which includes the S, Note, Pro, Tab, R, W, M, and Y

Was that an old banner pic in the Hill60 link? Samsung announced 200 million S-model sales back in February, supposedly 100M of those in the past year.
http://www.sammobile.com/2014/02/24/samsung-sold-more-than-200-million-galaxy-s-handsets/
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #122 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Was that an old banner pic in the Hill60 link? Samsung announced 200 million S-model sales back in February, supposedly 100M of those in the past year.
http://www.sammobile.com/2014/02/24/samsung-sold-more-than-200-million-galaxy-s-handsets/

No, it was taken at the Samsung Galaxy S5 launch in Sydney, Australia last week, on the 24th of March.

Maybe 50 million + were "shipped" not sold.

430 million iPhones sold over the same time frame.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #123 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

No, it was taken at the Samsung Galaxy S5 launch in Sydney, Australia last week, on the 24th of March.

Maybe 50 million + were "shipped" not sold.

430 million iPhones sold over the same time frame.

That's the problem with lying. Sammy can't remember which lies it told.
post #124 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

This kind of dumbassery (your comment) is the reason some people hate Apple. 

Your comment is the reason many people hate Apple-haters.

"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
post #125 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

My ultimate dream is for DED to write an exposé on his own articles and how they obscure reality.  I am concerned, though, that such an article may cause a feedback loop that brings down the internet...

If that's your ultimate dream, then you need to wake up.

- African proverb
- African proverb
post #126 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

If that's your ultimate dream, then you need to wake up.

Right?! My ultimate dream has nothing to do with anyone who reads this site.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #127 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiltedGreen View Post

Why single out WikiPedia? Just change the sentence a little and you're done ...

Everyone (at least, everyone with any brain), knows not to trust "Authority X" as a single source for knowledge.

The TV, magazines, the government, politicians, corporations, newspapers and more all have an angle. In this information overloaded age, we are lucky to be able to easily cross-reference against other reports and interpretations. Essential if you want to have any hope to find out what's really going on around us.

As an ex of mine said .. The only place you can find "objectivity" is in the dictionary. :-)

You'll find subjectivity in the dictionary, too.

- African proverb
- African proverb
post #128 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanSolecki View Post

Look at this entire thread. Look at the amount of time and effort this website devotes to bashing Samsung.

It's really embarrassing that these people exist.

DED is pretty much the Fox News of tech reporting, and everything he writes is a hit-piece.

I start visiting this site, browse through a bit to see when the updates are coming, and then one of these steaming piles always turns me away again.

Without this garbage this site would be so, so much better.

Keep enjoying that mountain view, as you clearly can't see the wood or the trees.

- African proverb
- African proverb
post #129 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Where did you read that? Wikipedia?

No; she used her brain.

- African proverb
- African proverb
post #130 of 147
Quote:

Where did you read that? Wikipedia?

No; she used her brain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

I just noticed the talk page for the Wikipedia page in question.  I've worked with a team that successfully updated a 'controversial' page on wikipedia and our method was VERY different then what I'm seeing here.  'Vigilantes' going in and 'attacking' the page will get your edits reverted very quickly.  If a change is going to be made to shift the tone of the article it would be best to form a group in private and create a draft for the proposed changes.  Peer review it amongst the group and make sure it's as unbiased as possible.  Stick only to facts and provide citations for those facts.  As it stands now I can't think of a single person on this forum that would be capable of being unbiased and sticking only to facts, but surely there are AI members who don't post regularly that would fit the bill.  Our team found that the wikipedia regulars were quite welcoming when approached in that manner.  Stick to the facts and inject no opinion.  I'd also suggest giving it some time before approaching with any changes.  As the page has recently been vandalized multiple times in the last few days there is currently a lock on the page and people will also be very weary of future changes after loooking at the revision history.

It's hard to be unbiased when fighting wrong.

- African proverb
- African proverb
post #131 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

Whether or not any regular posters are capable of working in an unbiased and facts only nature is arguably the least important part of my initial post.  Strange how that's what gets focused on...

The point is that the current strategy for getting the Wikipedia page changed is a very bad one.  Don't go in and make changes like removing content and replacing it with "Samsung, go suck a duck" under an anonymous IP address or make changes just so you can screenshot it and see how long it takes to get reverted.  That's considered vandalism and it hurts your cause.  There is a much better alternative approach if you're serious about wanting the page to be improved.

Not really so strange, seeing as you decided to casually slander every single poster here as irredeemably biased and therefore probably not worthy of editing a precious Wikipedia entry.

- African proverb
- African proverb
post #132 of 147
Quote:

Not really so strange, seeing as you decided to casually slander every single poster here as irredeemably biased and therefore probably not worthy of editing a precious Wikipedia entry.

You'd think that someone that prefers Android would appreciate the "openness" of Wikipedia. 1biggrin.gif

post #133 of 147
Quote:

Huh? I'm an Apple-hater now? Grow up, ffs.

Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others.
15" Matte MacBook Pro: 2.66Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, GT330m 512MB, 512GB SSD

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

iPad 3rd Generation, 32GB

Mac Mini Core2Duo 2.26ghz,...

Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others.
15" Matte MacBook Pro: 2.66Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, GT330m 512MB, 512GB SSD

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

iPad 3rd Generation, 32GB

Mac Mini Core2Duo 2.26ghz,...

post #134 of 147
Quote:

She's too busy raising dragons. lol.gif
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #135 of 147
Quote:

Mine might, I'm not sure if she reads AI or not.  8-)

post #136 of 147
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

This kind of dumbassery (your comment) is the reason some people hate Apple. 

This comment is the reason that people hate people who hate Apple-haters.

post #137 of 147
Shamey, shamey
Plz leave edits in the hands of professional "impartial" wiki editors like this ........

Bjornte, interpret as you wish. You might be pleased to know that you must have made Dilger's day.
After all, it is quite rare that his diatribes have any effect. But here we have it, this article is now labelled as biased, and will certainly be rewritten in a manner more pleasing to Cupertino.
To be honest, I thought you, as a European, especially a proud Norwegian, would be above kowtowing to large American companies. Alas, I see Apple is inching closer and closer to its goal of eliminating all meaningful competition via its world-class legal and marketing departments.

Furthermore -- even more happy news for you -- since Wikipedia is apparently controlled by the American companies with the largest marketing and legal departments, just as any other American media outlet, I see no purpose in further contributing to, trusting in, or promoting Wikipedia. So have at it, edit as the overlords from Cupertino demand. Slopswool (talk) 22:45, 29 March 2014 (UTC)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Apple_Inc._v._Samsung_Electronics_Co.,_Ltd.
post #138 of 147
Quote:

Mine involves Ganymede. Also dying of old age. Really old. But those are unrelated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank pope View Post

Alas, I see Apple is inching closer and closer to its goal of eliminating all meaningful competition via its world-class legal and marketing departments, and its army of blind followers.

Just shut up and go away, please.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

post #139 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Mine involves Ganymede.

The moon, or the Greek mythology hero?
post #140 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

The moon, or the Greek mythology hero?

Moon. Can't drink a glass of mythology.

post #141 of 147
Quote:

Moon. Can't drink a glass of mythology.

Can't drink a glass of moon either, unless that's some obscure saying I've never heard before, and I've heard just about all of them.
post #142 of 147
Quote:

Shamey, shamey
Plz leave edits in the hands of professional "impartial" wiki editors like this ........

Bjornte, interpret as you wish. You might be pleased to know that you must have made Dilger's day.
After all, it is quite rare that his diatribes have any effect. But here we have it, this article is now labelled as biased, and will certainly be rewritten in a manner more pleasing to Cupertino.
To be honest, I thought you, as a European, especially a proud Norwegian, would be above kowtowing to large American companies. Alas, I see Apple is inching closer and closer to its goal of eliminating all meaningful competition via its world-class legal and marketing departments, and its army of blind followers.
Furthermore -- even more happy news for you -- since Wikipedia is apparently controlled by the American companies with the largest marketing and legal departments, just as any other American media outlet, I see no purpose in further contributing to, trusting in, or promoting Wikipedia. So have at it, edit as the overlords from Cupertino demand. Slopswool (talk) 22:45, 29 March 2014 (UTC)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Apple_Inc._v._Samsung_Electronics_Co.,_Ltd.

Beats the paid comments from Samsung, US overlords, Korean overlords take your pick, somewhere in the middle is the truth.

post #143 of 147
Quote:

Shamey, shamey

That is one hell of a pathetic page there. I'm baffled that someone could write such a thing, have such a view.
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
post #144 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Can't drink a glass of moon either, unless that's some obscure saying I've never heard before, and I've heard just about all of them.

Can if there's water on it. Ganymede has it in spades.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

That is one hell of a pathetic page there. I'm baffled that someone could write such a thing, have such a view.

Idiots tend not to like being corrected, do they? Otherwise I'd set straight the moron naming me in "wanting" a nuclear attack. lol.gif

Of course, I can't do it with the username I use everywhere, because that's "not impartial", and I can't do it with another username, because then "how could you possibly have the information"?

We know that Samsung pays people to change their presentation on websites. Why haven't they been banned from Wikipedia yet?

post #145 of 147
Quote:

Can if there's water on it. Ganymede has it in spades.

Ahh gotcha. I had forgotten that, thanks for the astronomy refresh.
post #146 of 147
"Everyone (at least, everyone with any brain), knows not to trust Wikipedia as a single source for knowledge."

Everyone (at least, everyone with any brain), knows not to trust "Authority X" as a single source for knowledge.
Quote:

You'll find subjectivity in the dictionary, too.

Err, clearly my point was a little too subtle for you.

People seem to expect "objectivity" in the media for some odd reason - what they get instead is information mixed with opinion which curiously happens to align with the views of the publishers. Objectivity exists only in the dictionary; subjectivity, however, can be found everywhere.
post #147 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiltedGreen View Post

"Everyone (at least, everyone with any brain), knows not to trust Wikipedia as a single source for knowledge."

Err, clearly my point was a little too subtle for you.

People seem to expect "objectivity" in the media for some odd reason - what they get instead is information mixed with opinion which curiously happens to align with the views of the publishers. Objectivity exists only in the dictionary; subjectivity, however, can be found everywhere.

Ok, but I guess my point was too subtle for you, too. The words 'subjectivity' and 'objectivity' are to be found in a dictionary, but there is no more guarantee of objectivity in a dictionary definition than there is in anything else.
- African proverb
- African proverb
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • How Wikipedia's sloppy facts obscured reality in Apple vs. Samsung trial
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › How Wikipedia's sloppy facts obscured reality in Apple vs. Samsung trial