or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › BlackBerry wins injunction, sales ban against 'Typo' iPhone keyboard

BlackBerry wins injunction, sales ban against 'Typo' iPhone keyboard

post #1 of 31
A U.S. district court judge on Friday granted BlackBerry a preliminary injunction against the Typo iPhone keyboard case for infringing on certain patents, effectively banning sales of the Ryan Seacrest-backed device.

Typo

In a ruling handed down by U.S. District Judge William Orrick, BlackBerry was able to establish a "likelihood" of proving that the Typo Bluetooth keyboard infringes on its patents, reports Reuters.

That knowledge, combined with Typo's inability to challenge BlackBerry's patents, is enough to slap the company with a preliminary injunction banning sales.

"BlackBerry is pleased that its motion for a preliminary injunction against Typo Products LLC was granted," BlackBerry said in a statement. "This ruling will help prevent further injury to BlackBerry from Typo's blatant theft of our patented keyboard technology."

AppleInsider was able to take a look at Typo in January, just days after BlackBerry hit the company with its patent infringement suit. Overall, we found the device to be a well-built but cumbersome keyboard aimed at BlackBerry die-hards.

As for Typo, the company said it was disappointed with the decision and will file an appeal.

"Typo will continue to make and sell innovative products that busy people can't live without," the company said.
post #2 of 31
All reviews indicate that it's a piece of shit anyways. No loss.
post #3 of 31

F that Keyboard.

One thought he was invincible... the other thought he could fly.

They were both wrong.

One thought he was invincible... the other thought he could fly.

They were both wrong.

post #4 of 31

"Typo will continue to make and sell innovative products that busy people can't live without," the company said.

Amazing. I wonder if they were able to restrain themselves from bursting into laughter after making that statement. 

post #5 of 31
I have one. Love it. Don't be an asshole.
post #6 of 31

A friend of mine has one (he was a Blackberry junky and hates the touch keyboards).   I tested it out and it works as advertised on my 5s.   Tests indicate that that it is faster than a touch keyboard and I suppose if that is what you are used to that would be the case.

post #7 of 31
Seacrest out!
post #8 of 31
I always knew the Typo keyboard was a mistake.
post #9 of 31
Who'd want that piece of junk anyway?

I hate dealing with old, Blackberry's with their dinky, tiny keys.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #10 of 31
"This ruling will help prevent further injury to BlackBerry"

(Notwithstanding all of the last 6 years.)
post #11 of 31
I know it's been said plenty of times before, but I'd much rather have an upgrade to the touch keyboard for ios. My GF used to have a blackberry (now moved onto the LG G2 and likely to be an apple switcher come the next upgrade) and I always hated typing on it.
post #12 of 31
If this continues for more then two or three weeks, Typo can just attend the Blackberry garage sale and pick up the patent for $10 as long as they take a box of unsold BB phones too.
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #13 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebiggfrogg View Post

I always knew the Typo keyboard was a mistake.
Hilarious.
post #14 of 31
Typo is a horrible name for that product. It suggests the keyboard is prone for the user to make typing errors using it. And how is Blackberry suffering any damages from this product? It's not like anyone is buying their phones anymore or that Typo is taking any business from Blackberry.
Edited by GoDisplay - 3/29/14 at 8:19am
post #15 of 31

What was Typo thinking? There's like a gazillion different keyboard styles.

post #16 of 31
If they designed the keys to not be a direct Blackberry rip-off them they'd have no problems. This is IP theft pure and simple.
post #17 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjackson View Post

You're the only one! Its a POS!

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

post #18 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by THT View Post

Yeah, They copied a very distinctive key cap style, among other obvious apes in conjunction with that.

This story doesn't make it clear, I had to follow this link back to an older story:
http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/01/03/blackberry-sues-ryan-seacrest-backed-typo-alleges-patent-infringement

Quote:

Unless posts were deleted, I don't think there were any assholes in this thread then or now.

It's OK for you to like it, but it seems a lot more people think it needs help. I see several reviews and they rate it pretty poorly for a product with a $99 list price.

Nice but pricey:
http://www.cnet.com/products/typo-iphone-keyboard-case/

two out of five stars:
http://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/accessories/typo-iphone-keyboard-case.aspx
http://www.digitaltrends.com/cell-phone-accessories-reviews/typo-iphone-keyboard-review/

"needs refinement":
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/16/technology/personaltech/review-typo-keyboard-case-for-iphone-5.html

too expensive, too many sacrifices:
http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/entry/typo-products-typo-keyboard-case-for-iphone-5-5s/
Edited by JeffDM - 3/29/14 at 12:53pm
post #19 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by THT View Post

Yeah, They copied a very distinctive key cap style, among other apes in conjunction with that.

This story doesn't make it clear, I had to follow this link back to an older story:
http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/01/03/blackberry-sues-ryan-seacrest-backed-typo-alleges-patent-infringement

Quote:

Unless posts were deleted, I don't think there were any assholes in this thread then or now.

It's OK for you to like it, but it seems a lot more people think it needs help. I see several reviews and they rate it pretty poorly for the product at a its $99 list price.

Nice but pricey:
http://www.cnet.com/products/typo-iphone-keyboard-case/

two out of five stars:
http://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/accessories/typo-iphone-keyboard-case.aspx
http://www.digitaltrends.com/cell-phone-accessories-reviews/typo-iphone-keyboard-review/

"needs refinement":
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/16/technology/personaltech/review-typo-keyboard-case-for-iphone-5.html

too expensive, too many sacrifices:
http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/entry/typo-products-typo-keyboard-case-for-iphone-5-5s/

Classy response. Kudos!

post #20 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

You're the only one! Its a POS!

No he's not... don't be a negative nancy.  Its quite nice.

The only downside IMHO is it replaces the home button with a key, so you lose touch ID.

Doodle Dice iPhone puzzle game: A fun, free physics-laden collection of dice games.  Greatest app made yet?  Perhaps young man... Perhaps.
Doodle Dice iPhone puzzle game: A fun, free physics-laden collection of dice games.  Greatest app made yet?  Perhaps young man... Perhaps.
post #21 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellya74u View Post

Classy response. Kudos!

Its one of the nicest bt keyboard cases you can buy.  So its not perfect.  I've seen and used it, berry addicts immediately take to it and like it.

post #22 of 31
So Blackberry can quickly get a sales injunction for this but Apple can't get injunctions on Samsung devices even after blatantly copying the iPhone and iPad? What the fk is wrong with our judicial system????
post #23 of 31
Where was Lucy Koh on this judgement?
post #24 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugbug View Post

Its one of the nicest bt keyboard cases you can buy.  So its not perfect.  I've seen and used it, berry addicts immediately take to it and like it.

Cool, but where do  the berry addicts carry it? It is like way too tall for pockets.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #25 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

So Blackberry can quickly get a sales injunction for this but Apple can't get injunctions on Samsung devices even after blatantly copying the iPhone and iPad? What the fk is wrong with our judicial system????

It's a much simpler case with just one obviously offending simple product.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #26 of 31
Yes, the keyboards design is like the blackberry bold but the layout for the keyboard was from Palm so... I don't think id buy that and its pricy.
post #27 of 31
The only reason users like the keyboard on the Blackberry is it was the only option available in order to get a "smartphone". I had multiple company issued BB phones that I endured for 5 years. I can't remember the model of the first one but the thing was huge! At least the keys on that one were a little easier to handle. I hated the tiny keys and interface that in many cases wasn't intuitive as they got smaller. A year and a half ago they switched to iPhones. What a difference! Apple's iOS is easy to learn because of the touch interface. Granted the iOS touch keyboards could use improvement and allowing 3rd party software keyboards to be selected as defaults for the system and for individual apps would be the best way to handle it. But why would I want to spend money on a keyboard case that makes my iPhone into a system I hated? I know there are plenty of BB lovers out there that are upset that this case is not available anymore especially if they didn't know it existed until this article was written.
Edited by mnbob1 - 3/31/14 at 7:01am
post #28 of 31
Wherever there's a celebrity endorsement, there's a crappy product.
post #29 of 31

Does BB honestly think this some how impacted their ability to sell more BB. Usually when you are award an injunction against selling more product, the Patent holder usually has to show it has adversely affected their own sales.

Hell, they did not stop Samsung from selling their copycat products and Apple show they did in fact affect their sales.

I guess in some twisted way BB think by getting this product off the market they will get back those few people who prefer the physical keyboard over a virtual keyboard.

Edited by Maestro64 - 4/1/14 at 6:00am
post #30 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleCPA View Post

Wherever there's a celebrity endorsement, there's a crappy product.

I gather he's a co-owner of the venture.
post #31 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I gather he's a co-owner of the venture.
Ok...whenever there's a celebrity co-owner there's a crappy product
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › BlackBerry wins injunction, sales ban against 'Typo' iPhone keyboard