or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Why did Microsoft port Office to Apple's iOS iPad before Android?

Why did Microsoft port Office to Apple's iOS iPad before Android? - Page 4

post #121 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Seems to me that some folks are over thinking this. Why did MS go iOS before Android? Might be nothing more than PR. iOS users have been screaming for the programs for ages and naysayers have been saying MS will neve do it because it's the only thing the Surface has as a selling point. No one using Android had made similar claims. So by releasing the iOS version MS is saying hell no to the scared claims, which they don't need to do with Android
Don't let the tricky wording used by DED trick you. Office is available on Android. However, there is no seperate version for Android tablets at this time.
post #122 of 225

Back when "real men" cared about cars there was always lots of smack talk about the virtues of one brand over the others. I don't seem to recall arguments that included market share and quarterly shipping estimates or much in the way of Wall Street mumbo jumbo or Angry Birds. It was only about the virtues of the products and if you were really religious about it you could always put your pink slip on the line to challenge the conviction of your rival. Ah, how times have changed. Maybe we should all get out of doors more often and enjoy the sweet aroma of burning hydrocarbons and pleasing melody of screeching rubber. Grrrrrrrr.... manly men don't argue about phones or tablets much less, cough, cough workplace productivity applications ..... grrrrrrrrr ..... is there no testosterone left on the planet? .... grrrrrrr .... go play with your dog .... grrrrrr ;)

post #123 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Richardson View Post

The real story is that Windows RT is dead and Windows 8.X on tablets will have to fight on its merits. There is no reason for Microsoft to not release on Android; in fact, there is a phone version which was simultaneously updated with the iPhone version. We can expect this new Microsoft to be running on Android tablets soon; why not? ... It's not a testatment to the awesomeness of iOS, it's a major strategic decision to release some software which has probably been ready for two years. You know, back when iPads had 80% market share.

Yes, it is a testament to the strength of iOS. Office for iPad doesn't look like something that was written 2 years ago and has been sitting on a shelf. It is native to iOS 7 (not sure if it is 64-bit, though), and conforms to its UI guidelines and is extremely touch-centric. Also telling is that they did this before they even completed the touch-centric re-write of Office for Windows RT/8. Arguably if they were serious about promoting Surface, making it touch-centric should have been one of the first things they should have done, and had they had a completed version for iOS ready 2 years ago, they'd have been able to incorporate more of that design into the Surface version.

Also, that Microsoft went to the effort of updating the Android version of its smartphone Office software at the same time it updated Office Mobile for iPhone means that they likely could have done the same for tablets, but, quite correctly, view the phone market a bit differently. Samsung has made traction at the high end of the phone market. But they haven't made much traction at the high end of the tablet market. I'm sure Microsoft will release a version of Office for Android. There's really no reason not to (more opportunities for sales). But the next priority for Microsoft is the rewrite of Office for Windows RT. Android won't come until after that. Nadella hinted as much when he touted the Build conference next week.

What will be interesting to see is where the tablet market heads from here. It looks like Apple's iPad growth has matured, and yet despite good reviews, the latest Kindle Fire has supposedly seen a slight decline in sales from a year ago, and Asus doesn't seem to have seen increased sales from the Nexus line. So it's entirely possible that Apple will continue to dominate the tablet profit share even more than it does with smartphones.

post #124 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

Don't let the tricky wording used by DED trick you. Office is available on Android. However, there is no seperate version for Android tablets at this time.

But it's the same crippled phone version that's also available for iPhone. They quietly enabled the edit features without a subscription, but probably because they aren't very useful. Even on a Note 3, there's not much room for editing. And an upsized phone app on an Android tablet doesn't come close to a built-from-the-ground-up tablet version.

post #125 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

None of this pro-Apple talk makes any sense.  Almost no sane investor on Wall Street would bet on on Apple's survival against Google and Android.  Most are sure that Apple will only continue dropping from the 2012 starting point of its infamous death spiral.  Apple is still being valued for zero growth and even Microsoft is seen as having better growth prospects than Apple.  Microsoft is probably just making a mistake betting on Apple's iPad or simply had too much money invested already to kill the project.  Google and Android's market share completely obliterate every other computing platform on the planet.  The general consensus is that without Steve Jobs running Apple, the company will not be successful at any venture.  It just seems so obvious that most industry leaders are certain Apple will fail.  As it is, Microsoft's offering MS Office for iPad has increased Microsoft's value, but on Apple it has had the opposite effect.  Most analysts disregard Apple having any hooks into the Enterprise at all.  Most companies with strong positions in the Enterprise are not considered doomed companies.  Apple is, so any Enterprise presence Apple has must be rather minor.  All this boasting about Apple's strength in the post-PC era and it appears to me that Apple has been hit the hardest of all tech companies in terms of value.  Apple appears to be struggling merely to hold its ground.  Watch how Apple blows another financial quarter while Tim Cook proudly smiles.

Way overblown. The Street doesn't see the explosive growth that Apple had over the past decade, but it's difficult to see how even Steve Jobs could have replicated that if he were still alive and at the helm. What the stagnant stock price shows is an expectation that Apple's 2010s may be a lot like Microsoft's 2000s. IOW, not much growth, but still a very viable company.

post #126 of 225
The simple reason is because iOS actually has a larger market share despite all the assumptions.
post #127 of 225
Originally Posted by nkalu View Post
The simple reason is because iOS actually has a larger market share despite all the assumptions.

I’d think ‘lies’ is a better word than ‘assumptions’.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
post #128 of 225
Quote:

Market researchers are not always coy in supplying context for the numbers they tabulate. In a conversation with AppleInsider last fall, IDC analyst Ryan Reith noted that his company engaged in research during 2013 that turned up a "significant surge in low end devices," which he described as "tier two" class tablets, ones that feature processors as slow as 600 MHz and include devices that Reith offhandedly described as "kids tablets or toys." 

These sort of "tablets" make up an incredible two thirds of the global tablet numbers reported by market research firms, clarifying that it's the recent recognition of these devices as "tablets" that has affected Apple's iPad "market share," not competition from tablet makers like Samsung and Microsoft, both of whom continue to struggle far behind Apple in their tablet sales

Exactly. Which is why we need to compare APPLES to APPLES here. 

These Tier 2 and even Tier 3 tablets shouldn't be allowed to be used as data points in the tablet market. It's deceptive and they know it.

Quote:
I think you are right. I was just about to add a post saying that I suspect Google is the main enemy of Microsoft these days not Apple. Add the fact the Ballmer-Gates duopoly seems to have lost some power and so the hate Apple mantra is fading.

Nah. They went for Apple for the simple fact that:

1. Apple has probably 75% of the high end tablet market if not more. That means that they can make the most revenue by putting Office on the iPad. These % that IDC quotes like the article said are made up of 2nd and 3rd tier tablets that shouldn't even be allowed to be in the numbers.  If the are included then it should be a different category that makes it OBVIOUS that they are including kids toys and other things in here that cannot be used for productivity.

2. Apple probably had 90% of the enterprise market. That means again more sales for Office.

3. It's not going to be pirated on the iPad.

4. Lastly, do you think they are going to port this to Android which is the most pirated App software? 

post #129 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I’d think ‘lies’ is a better word than ‘assumptions’.

Well the one guy from them did say that those included 2nd, 3rd tier tablets that are the real reason the % are distorted. I'm not sure why Wall Street and other people don't point this out but then that would require them to be honest.

post #130 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

If course it was manipulative. I wouldn't expect anything else, and I don't even blame them for that. It's marketing.

But not too long ago, we had to deal with Microsoft fans parroting that same false narrative. I wonder if the fans also knew better and were consciously trolling, or if they really believed in the bullshit about iPads being just toys.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #131 of 225
Quote:

But Android tablets are just stretched phones anyway. 1smile.gif

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #132 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

He also mentions how much harder it is to use their development software, and how much harder it is to develop for Android. Android isn't yet a serious tablet platform, and it's true that there are very few real tablet apps available. Some day, I suppose that will change. But considering that Google doesn't care, it will take a long time.
1thing I've noticed is some prefer to work with android before IOS, but release IOS version first.

Everybody knows that IOS is better market than android, just wonder if competing with something that's now free on IOS will let Micosofts apps sell.
post #133 of 225
I love Dan's op ed articles but not this one. Like so many (too many) technology writers, Dan doesn't collaborate with people in the real (non-tech) world that comprises 80% or more of the economy.

Simply put, Word for iPad has true track changes whereas Pages for iPad has watered down track changes.

I'm a card carrying Apple fan %u2014 two Mac minis, two iPad minis, two iPhones, one Apple TV, one MacBook Air, one iPod Classic, one iPod nano (watch model), one iPod touch.

But I work with people in the 80% and they require Word-compatible track changes. This feature partially explains why Word for iPad is at the top of the App Store charts.

Compatibility is another huge feature. Just tonight a friend of mine who is not an Apple fan was thrilled that she could finally send the senior executive team of her company actual Excel files instead of PDF versions since they all use iPads as their main computer.
post #134 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Can always count on Gatorguy to "come to the rescue" of any product that is compared unfavourably to an Apple product in any thread, no matter what. 

No, you're wrong: Not 'any' product. 

Only those that are somehow -- even if they're only tangentially -- related to Google. 

post #135 of 225
Quote:

Don't let the tricky wording used by DroidFTW trick you. Office on Android is a severely limited version. There is no tablet-optimized, feature rich version of Office for Android.

Here's a simple way to look at it. Office for Android is a 27MB download. That's for the entire package. Word for the iPad is a whopping 250MB. If you get all four Apps (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and OneNote) it's over 900MB.

I wonder, do you actually think a 27MB App contains the same functionality as a 900MB App? Or perhaps you think MS wrote a highly optimized and efficient version for Android and a bloated, inefficient version for the iPad?

I know this is a simple comparison, but it's something everyone should understand.

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

post #136 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

No, you're wrong: Not 'any' product. 

Only those that are somehow -- even if they're only tangentially -- related to Google. 

Really? That's all you could find to say? I would have expected you to add something of value to the discussion instead of dropping by just to be snippy. You and I used to have fairly respectful discussions here. I learned a few things from you, consider you one of the more educated members. Sad that it seems it's no longer worth your effort to be civil.

Hoping maybe I'm wrong and you've just had a rough week.
Edited by Gatorguy - 3/29/14 at 7:35pm
melior diabolus quem scies
post #137 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Hoping maybe I'm wrong and you've just had a rough week.

I do respect your research, civill discourse and the generally respectful manner in which you reply but many of us wonder why you spend so much time here when you clearly are not a Mac type of guy?

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #138 of 225
Quote:

Tricky wording? Like trying to suggest that Microsofts old "mobile Office" for iPhone/Android/WP8 is anything like Microsoft's new iPad touch apps that are real apps that work like iWork?  

post #139 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I do respect your research, civill discourse and the generally respectful manner in which you reply but many of us wonder why you spend so much time here when you clearly are not a Mac type of guy?

Oh, I think I'm definitely a "Mac type of guy". I get along great with most of my fellow graphic professionals who are overwhelmingly Mac shops. I just don't use a Mac. Used to tho, an old iMac that pretty much bit the dust a couple years back.

Remember now why I had it too. There were two ad agencies sending over Quark files back in the day. Thank goodness that buggy software has pretty much disappeared. It was barely worth the hassle dealing with it. InDesign made things so much easier when they went cross-platform.
Edited by Gatorguy - 3/29/14 at 8:04pm
post #140 of 225
Quote:

Quote:

Oh, I think I'm definitely a "Mac type of guy". I get along great with most of my fellow graphic professionals who are overwhelmingly Mac shops. I just don't use a Mac. Used to tho, an old iMac that pretty much bit the dust a couple years back.

So since you are no longer a Mac user, is there not a more appropriate site for you to post to like www.formerappleuser.com or whatever they call it?

post #141 of 225
Quote:

So since you are no longer a Mac user, is there not a more appropriate site for you to post to like www.formerappleuser.com or whatever they call it?

All the smart guys are here tho.

EDIT: Who knows, I may need to put another Mac in the shop before all is said and done. There's been a few times I wish I had one available and you know what happens then. Once you go Mac you never look back. 1biggrin.gif
Edited by Gatorguy - 3/29/14 at 8:13pm
post #142 of 225
Quote:

All the smart guys are here tho.

And that doesn't  make you wonder why we all like Macs?

post #143 of 225
Quote:

On the surface your comment makes sense but as GG eludes, above, this forum has many excellent contributors.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #144 of 225
Nadella is smart enough to realize that, like in the early days of Macintosh or even Apple ][, Microsoft is and should be first and foremost a software company and that those millions of iPad users are not the enemy but rather potential customers of your products. Monkey Boy never got that, and look what competing (make that: trying to compete) with Apple on everything from music players to phones to tablets has done to the once mighty MS/Windows brand.
post #145 of 225
Quote:
Remember now why I had it too. There were two ad agencies sending over Quark files back in the day. Thank goodness that buggy software has pretty much disappeared. It was barely worth the hassle dealing with it. InDesign made things so much easier when they went cross-platform.

Now that's just BS, Quark was always bullet proof on both Mac and Windows. It was very strict on the way things were built but it never failed when built the correct way. inDesign brought lot of designer friendly features into the graphic workflow but nothing is any different. You still need to produce output ready documents regardless of which layout application you use.

post #146 of 225
Quote:

Now that's just BS, Quark was always bullet proof on both Mac and Windows. It was very strict on the way things were built but it never failed when built the correct way. inDesign brought lot of designer friendly features into the graphic workflow but nothing is any different. You still need to produce output ready documents regardless of which layout application you use.

Hmmm. In my recollection most of RIP/print issues disappeared once they converted over to InDesign. That was nearly 10 years ago tho so maybe you're right and they didn't know how to build proper files in Quark and finally figured it out with InDesign.

EDIT: I don't miss my old Fiery Rip station either. 1hmm.gif Progress.
Edited by Gatorguy - 3/29/14 at 8:38pm
post #147 of 225
Quote:

Hmmm. In my recollection most of RIP/print issues disappeared once they converted over to InDesign. That was nearly 10 years ago tho so maybe you're right and they didn't know how to build proper files in Quark and finally figured it out with InDesign.

I think you may be right about that. I was using Quark when it was still called Visionary, Now days it seems to be one of those situations where anyone who owns a hammer is a carpenter. If you don't have training, you don't have shit, when it comes to best industry practices in graphic design. We still see people with MS Word who think they can design their own brochures. I don't bother treating them with kid gloves. I just tell them flat out that they have no clue what professional design is. Remarkably they usually concede an let me do what I do with no complaints. I rarely get the comment that they want to "jazz it up" or "make it pop" once I tell them they are incompetent morons. And I do. Somehow I get away with it.

post #148 of 225

What these companies really want is to lock customers in, right? 

On the desktop, software applications are for serious work and very expensive, meaning that people will tend to get locked in to a particular OS. So being an OS vendor is how to lock people in to you on that platform. 

But that won't work on tablets. The App Store has made software very cheap: less than $5 or free, so being an OS vendor is not the plum position on tablets that it is on desktops, from the point of view of lock in. Microsoft is correctly trying a different strategy involving the cloud. In fact they should remove all that tablet junk from Windows 8.1 and just make it a pure desktop product again.

post #149 of 225
Quote:

I think you may be right about that. I was using Quark when it was still called Visionary, Now days it seems to be one of those situations where anyone who owns a hammer is a carpenter. If you don't have training, you don't have shit, when it comes to best industry practices in graphic design. We still see people with MS Word who think they can design their own brochures. I don't bother treating them with kid gloves. I just tell them flat out that they have no clue what professional design is. Remarkably they usually concede an let me do what I do with no complaints. I rarely get the comment that they want to "jazz it up" or "make it pop" once I tell them they are incompetent morons. And I do. Somehow I get away with it.

I got to deal with my favorite issue twice this week. Grand format event canvas. Client sends over sub-megabyte jpeg for the primary image. When I discuss a more appropriate file, perhaps an AI/EPS or even PDF they send over. . .

the exact same little jpeg but now in a PDF. During the recent recession there's been a whole lot of companies who decided they would handle design in-house, apparently believing anyone with a copy of Powerpoint and an account with iStock can do it. It's become my job, and probably yours, to fix it for 'em.
post #150 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Don't let the tricky wording used by DroidFTW trick you. Office on Android is a severely limited version. There is no tablet-optimized, feature rich version of Office for Android.

Here's a simple way to look at it. Office for Android is a 27MB download. That's for the entire package. Word for the iPad is a whopping 250MB. If you get all four Apps (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and OneNote) it's over 900MB.

I wonder, do you actually think a 27MB App contains the same functionality as a 900MB App? Or perhaps you think MS wrote a highly optimized and efficient version for Android and a bloated, inefficient version for the iPad?

I know this is a simple comparison, but it's something everyone should understand.

The one on Android certainly is 27MB.  The rest of your post would certainly explain why I found the Android version to be underwhelming and said that Android already has much better options while you felt the need to jump in and defend MS Office.

As an aside, DED once claimed that Excel isn't capable of doing basic addition correctly.  Make sure to double check your figures when using it!  :lol: 

post #151 of 225
Quote:

the exact same little jpeg but now in a PDF. 

I don't even worry about that. It is the ALL CAPS ITALIC BOLD RED HEADLINE UNDERLINED WITH THREE EXCLAMATION POINTS!!!

My god man get a grip. Yes that is white space and no we do not need to put something there.

post #152 of 225
Quote:

I don't even worry about that. It is the ALL CAPS ITALIC BOLD RED HEADLINE UNDERLINED WITH THREE EXCLAMATION POINTS!!!

My god man get a grip. Yes that is white space and no we do not need to put something there.
ROTFL! Probably in Times Bold too, tho I kinda like the look of Brush Script all caps as one of my clients sends over at least once a year.
Edited by Gatorguy - 3/29/14 at 9:18pm
post #153 of 225
Bringing Office to the iPad is huge for large companies. Where I work, you can bring your own device and have it connected to our work mail and portal servers. This means that I can now review Office documents in their raw file type rather than the less than perfect options out there. If our enterprise decides to allow editing of Office documents (which I don't expect since they don't want our proprietary content hosted in Microsoft's cloud) then I cannot see any reason for me to use much more than my iPad for more than 80% of my needs. There will definitely be times that I need the more powerful desktop/laptop version and some of our tools are built for desktop usage only but after that, the iPad has now become an even more powerful tool than before, a true enterprise tool. We are also developing tools specifically for the iPad so there is longevity in the platform for us.

And from an anecdotal point of view, I see tons of iPads at my workplace, the trend is growing everyday. I have seen a handful of Samsung and Microsoft tablet devices but at least 95% of the tablet devices are iPads, both in full size and mini.

Finally, for those people who still think that it is difficult to use documents in iOS then they need to rebook at the tools they use. I use Documents by Readdle. It is a great app which logs directly into Dropbox. I drop my file into Dropbox, edit and manipulate it as needed using any of my hardware (PC laptop, wife's MacBook Air, iPad) and then use Documents to link it to an email and send it out. It works a charm. I was on vacation this week and for the first time only took my iPad with me. I was able to watch and check my work emails, make changes to documents as needed and use Documents to send it on. Very simple.

I would say that adding a file directly into the native email app would be more useful but I am not giving up the speed, ability and sheer enjoyment I get out of my iPad Mini Retina for something that is easily solvable through other great third party apps out there which are designed and continually updated for this platform.
post #154 of 225
Quote:

I got to deal with my favorite issue twice this week. Grand format event canvas. Client sends over sub-megabyte jpeg for the primary image. When I discuss a more appropriate file, perhaps an AI/EPS or even PDF they send over. . .

the exact same little jpeg but now in a PDF. During the recent recession there's been a whole lot of companies who decided they would handle design in-house, apparently believing anyone with a copy of Powerpoint and an account with iStock can do it. It's become my job, and probably yours, to fix it for 'em.
Quote:

^^^ Part of the main reason I decided a couple of years ago to move away from print and packaging graphics as my my main business. I just got sick of fighting for good graphic design with people that got put behind a computer with Office, mostly sales and marketing folk that decided they could do their sales and POS materials themselves. It became too depressing and maddening to see CI's, logos and packaging being molested after a company demanding artwork and sources handed it over "their departments". We saw Usage Manuals thrown to the bottom of a drawer and ignored, to even taking company-made brochures and posters back to the studio and reworking them ourselves. This all led to frustration, fighting for "best graphic design practises" as you put it... with an ever dwindling return on emotional, professional, and financial investment. It eventuallly screwed up my health and a number of personal relationships dear to me. Design... for me at least... is a very emotional driven discipline, and rather unfortunately I came to hate and despise myself for having the talent and fortitude to do it.

I got "away with it" too with my clients... not so much with loved ones and most importantly myself. Being pissed, depressed and demoralized all the time is tiring.
Quote:

ROTFL! Probably in Times Bold too, tho I kinda like the look of Brush Script all caps as one of my clients sends over at least once a year.

...and yes now I can laugh again at that sort of thing too! From the old days, I believe I saw that headline in Zapf Chancery once a week! Restaurants, hotels, bakeries and produce packaging businesses LOVE Zapf...1smoking.gif
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
post #155 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank pope View Post

Troll or agitator? I cannot decide. Maybe while DED is at it, he should punch someone's lights out ; )

Have you seen the guy? He'd have trouble punching out a bundy clock.

post #156 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsherly View Post

Have you seen the guy? He'd have trouble punching out a bundy clock.

Ooooh! Ooooh!
Wait, I've got this one
Hater, right?
post #157 of 225

because Microsoft has a track record of making poor decisions?

post #158 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

None of this pro-Apple talk makes any sense.  Almost no sane investor on Wall Street would bet on on Apple's survival against Google and Android.  Most are sure that Apple will only continue dropping from the 2012 starting point of its infamous death spiral.  Apple is still being valued for zero growth and even Microsoft is seen as having better growth prospects than Apple.  Microsoft is probably just making a mistake betting on Apple's iPad or simply had too much money invested already to kill the project.  Google and Android's market share completely obliterate every other computing platform on the planet.  The general consensus is that without Steve Jobs running Apple, the company will not be successful at any venture.  It just seems so obvious that most industry leaders are certain Apple will fail.  As it is, Microsoft's offering MS Office for iPad has increased Microsoft's value, but on Apple it has had the opposite effect.  Most analysts disregard Apple having any hooks into the Enterprise at all.  Most companies with strong positions in the Enterprise are not considered doomed companies.  Apple is, so any Enterprise presence Apple has must be rather minor.  All this boasting about Apple's strength in the post-PC era and it appears to me that Apple has been hit the hardest of all tech companies in terms of value.  Apple appears to be struggling merely to hold its ground.  Watch how Apple blows another financial quarter while Tim Cook proudly smiles.

For the record, there is this stylist tool for for writers called paragraphs that makes writing more readable. Most of us that made it through the school system are aware of it.

I like how you worked "Enterprise" in your writing ODO, but wouldn't the "Defiant" be more appropriate for "Deep Space Nine"?

post #159 of 225

Why? Because screw Google, that's why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Iverson View Post

because Microsoft has a track record of making poor decisions?

If you read through the article, the author highlights the many reasons that it's a good decision.

post #160 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Pretty sure this is an editorial and not news.

News / truth is where you find it.

In 1973, the "Lincoln Journal" became the first of many newspapers to move the strip to the editorial page to avoid conflicts between "Doonesbury's" avid fans and equally avid detractors. In 1975 the comic strip received a Pulitzer Prize... for editorial cartooning. Over the years, a number of newspapers have declined to publish certain of Trudeau's strips. Yet, the largely liberal Trudeau has received kudos from unlikely sources, including President Gerald Ford who said "There are only three major vehicles to keep us informed as to what is going on in Washington: the electronic media, the print media, and 'Doonesbury' - not necessarily in that order."

http://www.funtrivia.com/en/subtopics/Origins-and-History-of-the-American-Comic-Strip-217724.html
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Why did Microsoft port Office to Apple's iOS iPad before Android?
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Why did Microsoft port Office to Apple's iOS iPad before Android?