or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Why did Microsoft port Office to Apple's iOS iPad before Android?

Why did Microsoft port Office to Apple's iOS iPad before Android? - Page 6

post #201 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

So yeah... Google is the enemy. Also common enemy MS is sharing with Apple. I'll be surprised to see Ms releasing anything for Google in the years to come - I'd rather expect they slowly drop what they already have (OneNote, OneDrive) but they will probably keep them live, as attempt to pull more people over the fence.

Except that Microsoft announced another Android app today.
http://blogs.office.com/2014/03/31/the-evolution-of-email/
melior diabolus quem scies
post #202 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by msimpson View Post

Will someone please hire Daniel Erin Dilger for a real paying job so he can quit writing these business school term papers.

Wow! That's telling him.
We can't wait until you post your wisdom on this or any other site.
I am sure your arguments will be just as cogent.
post #203 of 225
Daniel, we love you.

Eloquent, smart, precise and downright fun to read.

Not to mention you are freaking a hot dude!

Cheers
post #204 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Except that Microsoft announced another Android app today.
http://blogs.office.com/2014/03/31/the-evolution-of-email/

I wouldn't compare mail client with Office suite. Additionally... I believe existing Android mail clients already have full access to Hotmail/Outlook.com/Exchange... so by releasing mail client, MS is not really expanding Android's capabilities. With MS Office, however...
post #205 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

I wouldn't compare mail client with Office suite. Additionally... I believe existing Android mail clients already have full access to Hotmail/Outlook.com/Exchange... so by releasing mail client, MS is not really expanding Android's capabilities. With MS Office, however...

It does follow the same set of releases as they did for iPad though. Outlook was released for iPad a few months prior to the new Office apps and this will be the same on Android.

MS will likely release everything that make for iOS on Android too. It seems the one thing they've realised before anyone else is that software needs to be on all platforms and there doing with everything from Office and One Note to Xbox Music. Even Xbox Live is rumoured to be going cross platform onto iOS. Their cloud services with Azure are also having no loyalty to push only MS services, they've run Linux for year and last year even started offering Oracle as a DB solution.

post #206 of 225

Are you suggesting I'm a troll or agitator?  I firmly agree with DED on many, including this, editorial.  My point is that preaching to the choir is one thing and asking Gartner themselves why they're writing what they write does nothing to expose the truth.  Perhaps Daniel is trying to get big media to bite on his articles, but I've never seen his pieces anywhere outside of the mac-centric tech sites.  

post #207 of 225
Quote:

Why did Microsoft port Office to Apple's iOS iPad before Android? The author himself noted the most likely reason:
"More recently, Microsoft's last chief executive Steve Ballmer was rumored to have postponed the deployment of native iPad Office apps that were ostensibly ready to release back in 2012,"

That's not a reason. Read the article.

"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
post #208 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

That's not a reason. Read the article.

LOL. That quote came from the article. Apparently you were the one not reading it.
post #209 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It's well known that both Gartner and IDC strain to make Microsoft look as good as possible. Microsoft is a major client of theirs. If you go to Gartner's site, and I imaging
E the same is for IDC, they say that their goal is to make their clients look as good as possible. Not in those exact words, but you can easily get the point.

It's one reason why both have worked very hard to minimize the drop in Windows sales over the last three years. Both keep overestimating those sales as long as they can. They both underestimate Mac sales, even after Apple releases the numbers.

I don't trust their estimates because we know that Samsung, for example had stopped reporting shipments of their smartphones and tablets after the first quarter of 2011, when Lenovo caught them at giving out tablet shipment numbers that didn't meet reality, when they had claImed to have shipped 1.5 million to N America the last quarter of 2010, but Lenovo accused them of hiding the fact that they only sold 20,000 during that same period. Samsung refused to respond to financial analysts questions about that, and it wasn't the last time.

But nevertheless, Gartner, IDC and others quote these kinds of numbers for Samsung shipments which can't be verified, even though during the trial here in early 2013, Samsung,s shipment numbers as estimated by these companies was again shown to be far off the mark, when both Apple and Samsung had to show actual sales numbers of the products under dispute. Of the estimated 1 million Samsung tablets supposedly shipped here of models under dispute, Samsung had only sold 38,000 one quarter. Of their smartphones, they on,y sold between one third and one half the number.

And yet, none of the companies doing the estimating looked at these numbers and said that they were going to revise Samsung,s sales numbers downward. The same numbers remained on their books, and in the public record. What a load of crap!

Tim Cook has to be politic about this, he can't have public disputes with these companies. If he did, you and others, would call him names about it, even though the complaints would be legitimate.

Oh, and why just use Apple's sold numbers against shipped numbers? We all know how that makes no sense, especially since Apple does, in a roundabout way, give shipped numbers. When Apple talks about days or weeks of supply "in the channel" that's shipped devices. You multiply the average number of devices sold that previous quarter per day by the number of days supply in the channel, and then add that number to the total number sold, and you magically get the number shipped. But no one uses that number. It's very convenient, but I almost never see it done, except occasionally on Seeking Alpha. I've mentioned this to a number of writers on financial sites, and the response is something like; Well, yeah, I guess, that should be done. when I ask why they don't do it, the reply is; Uh, no one else does it.

Brilliant reportage, right?

Yet, whenever we see usage numbers for Samsung, Amazon, and others, they're all well down in the single digits. Doesn't match those inflates ship estimates, which writers then conflate as sales estimates.

Thank you for siting that extremely telling revelation: the 1,000,000 to 38,000 correction. Ever since I saw that reported, I put no credence whatsoever in any device estimates from anyone. I would say it's amazing how little the media made of it, but I suppose it's in their interests to cover it up; too much money changing hands and a good story-'Apple is doomed'-always trumps the truth.

- African proverb
- African proverb
post #210 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Yes, it was. Rovio made a big point about it back then. Android users are very resistant to paying for apps. I don't remember how much Angry Birds cost me, as it was some time ago. I have several versions of the game. It's just a small amount though. But the ad supported version on Android has done well.

It's possible that now they've gone to the in app purchasing model, as that's proving very successful on both platforms.

I should be grateful that Apple is raking it in on IAPs, but I generally hate them. It's fine if the app is free with an option to purchase the full app for one price. What I can't stand is when there are multiple purchases-it feels like the developer is milking the customer for all it's worth. Just give me the option to get all the good stuff in one fell swoop and be done with it.

- African proverb
- African proverb
post #211 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I decided to download it, even though I have no use for it. I just wanted to see if you can actually create Office documents. Turns out I was unable to even run the app because I apparently don't have an acceptable email address.

It says to get started enter a Microsoft email address or the email address of your organization. I entered my corporate email address but it was rejected. I entered in my iCloud address and that was rejected as well. I'm not sure how I am expected to use this app, if I can't get past the first screen of the setup process. Delete!

Developers who force you to give them your email address to use their app should be made to type out a thirteen letter password a million times for every letter 'e' they wish to write for the rest of their life and if they ever get their password wrong, they will be hung, drawn and quartered.

Let the punishment fit the crime.

- African proverb
- African proverb
post #212 of 225
Quote:

Thank you for siting that extremely telling revelation: the 1,000,000 to 38,000 correction. Ever since I saw that reported, I put no credence whatsoever in any device estimates from anyone. I would say it's amazing how little the media made of it, but I suppose it's in their interests to cover it up; too much money changing hands and a good story-'Apple is doomed'-always trumps the truth.

The stat he gave, 38K shipped instead of the announced 1M, had no corroborating cite he could supply. I think that one may have been chalked up to a faulty memory.
post #213 of 225
Quote:

The stat he gave, 38K shipped instead of the announced 1M, had no corroborating cite he could supply. I think that one may have been chalked up to a faulty memory.

Oh, the figures are correct; I distinctly remember those numbers during the court case. If you're really interested in verifying the figures, I presume there is a transcript somewhere online. Or you could put your trust in your fellow posters. Or both.

- African proverb
- African proverb
post #214 of 225
Quote:

Oh, the figures are correct; I distinctly remember those numbers during the court case. If you're really interested in verifying the figures, I presume there is a transcript somewhere online. Or you could put your trust in your fellow posters. Or both.
I can't find any other reference to those particular figures other than a post Mel himself made over at Ars, nor could Mel locate one. If you could supply the link, which you seem to believe you can, it would be appreciated. At least it would vindicate Mels' memory and yours and give you an opportunity to elicit an apology and thank you from me. What could be better? 1biggrin.gif
post #215 of 225
Its simple... Apple has less OS fragmentation. So it was easier to focus on iPad, than the big fragmented devices and different Operating systems and phones running Android.
post #216 of 225
Quote:

I can't find any other reference to those particular figures other than a post Mel himself made over at Ars, nor could Mel locate one. If you could supply the link, which you seem to believe you can, it would be appreciated. At least it would vindicate Mels' memory and yours and give you an opportunity to elicit an apology and thank you from me. What could be better? 1biggrin.gif

Sorry, can't be bothered. AI covered the whole trial, so why not do a search here?
- African proverb
- African proverb
post #217 of 225
Quote:

Sorry, can't be bothered. AI covered the whole trial, so why not do a search here?

I did. You apparently have a faulty memory when it comes to those figures. You can't find it exists either.
post #218 of 225
Quote:

I did. You apparently have a faulty memory when it comes to those figures. You can't find it exists either.

I haven't tried. The figures may be slightly inaccurate, but only by small amounts. I remember the contrast being huge—pretty well a million less than the estimate made, which in itself was about a million. Off the top of my head, the 1,000,000 figure may well have been right, being an estimate, as it was likely to be a round number. Possibly 1,100,000. The 38,000, however, may have been something like 38,325, as it was the actual internal sales figure that Samsung were reluctantly obliged to reveal at trial.
- African proverb
- African proverb
post #219 of 225
Quote:

If Google is not delivering results, perhaps Bing will deliver superior results.

Quite a few.

It seems Google is being surpassed.

It makes me glad I no longer need to rely on their seemingly biased results, sweeping unfavourable stuff under the carpet so to speak.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #220 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

If Google is not delivering results, perhaps Bing will deliver superior results.

Quite a few.

It seems Google is being surpassed.

It makes me glad I no longer need to rely on their seemingly biased results, sweeping unfavourable stuff under the carpet so to speak.

Nope, not there either.Those "Samsung or IDC said 1M tablets but really only 30K or sumthin" figures aren't found in a Bing search. Not even anything close. Maybe Bing is also faulty since you thought it was there too.

You, Mel and Mr Frost may all be remembering that the sales revealed in the lawsuit seemed not to equal PR announcements and/or IDC reports. The thing is the IDC estimates were for worldwide shipments AFAIK as I believe Samsung's were. The figures culled from the Apple/Samsung trial were US only, and only a subset of those related to the supposedly infringing models. That's why I questioned Mel in the first place. I thought perhaps he had some evidence or source I hadn't seen yet.

In any event tho the US Samsung units did appear on the surface to be lower than some had assumed. Nothing was certain since not all Samsung sales were included as not all Samsung models available in the US were included in Apple's accusations and thus reported per court order.
Edited by Gatorguy - 4/2/14 at 6:49pm
post #221 of 225
Quote:

What time frame are you referring? According to the court's documents Samsung sold 1.4 million in over 2.5 years. The graph shows about 11 quarters so even when averaged that only 127k per quarter but as you cans see on the graph that had some quarters that were better than that. That last quarter looks like it could be much lower that 38k.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #222 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

What time frame are you referring? According to the court's documents Samsung sold 1.4 million in over 2.5 years. The graph shows about 11 quarters so even when averaged that only 127k per quarter but as you cans see on the graph that had some quarters that were better than that. That last quarter looks like it could be much lower that 38k.

That's what I asked Mel several posts back.
http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/176236/why-did-microsoft-port-office-to-apples-ios-ipad-before-android/40#post_2506477

Then again tried to get clarification on it here:
http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/176236/why-did-microsoft-port-office-to-apples-ios-ipad-before-android/40#post_2506479

As I've said more than once I don't recall it but I'm not saying it's definitively wrong. Several here apparently believe it was reported, yet no one seems to have a source for it. That does seem to indicate their memories may be faulty.
Edited by Gatorguy - 4/2/14 at 7:16pm
post #223 of 225
Quote:

That's what I asked Mel several posts back.
http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/176236/why-did-microsoft-port-office-to-apples-ios-ipad-before-android/40#post_2506477

Then again tried to get clarification on here:
http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/176236/why-did-microsoft-port-office-to-apples-ios-ipad-before-android/40#post_2506479

As I've said more than once I don't recall it but I'm not saying it's definitively wrong. Several here apparently believe it was reported, yet no one seems to have a source for it. That does seem to indicate their memory's may be faulty.

Here is one that states… "The court documents show that in the U.S., between April and June, Samsung sold 37,000 units."

post #224 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Here is one that states… "The court documents show that in the U.S., between April and June, Samsung sold 37,000 units."

That's fine but where did Samsung or IDC or Gartner or whoever report 1M US during that same period? Mel used that point to prove we shouldn't have any trust in IDC reports and that's the only reason I even bothered questioning him as to his accuracy. I wasn't questioning widely reported poor sales of Samsung tablets here in the US. Thanks for the effort you're making tho. No one else was even getting this close. I'd guess this must be the report they recall, and validating my initial comments that IDC reported worldwide shipments while only US sales were reported in the lawsuit. The two aren't directly comparable.

Thx!
Edited by Gatorguy - 4/2/14 at 7:35pm
post #225 of 225
Quote:

That's fine but where did Samsung or IDC or Gartner or whoever report 1M US during that same period? Mel used that point to prove we shouldn't have any trust in IDC reports and that's the only reason I even bothered questioning him as to his accuracy. I wasn't questioning widely reported poor sales of Samsung tablets here in the US. Thanks for the effort you're making tho. No one else was even getting this close. I'd guess this must be the report they recall, and validating my initial comments that IDC reported worldwide shipments while only US sales were reported in the lawsuit. The two aren't directly comparable.

Thx!

True but I doubt US sales would be a small fraction of total sales of Sammy tablets.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Why did Microsoft port Office to Apple's iOS iPad before Android?
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Why did Microsoft port Office to Apple's iOS iPad before Android?