or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Why did Microsoft port Office to Apple's iOS iPad before Android?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Why did Microsoft port Office to Apple's iOS iPad before Android? - Page 3

post #81 of 225
Question: Why target Apple's minority tablet platform over Android which supposedly owns a 61.9 percent market share?

Answer: Because market share isn't as important as you think it is.

Market share is simply the percentage of things sold over the last quarter. ALL things.

Tablet market share includes iPads, Samsung tablets, Asus tablets, and all those cheap terrible tablets sold around the world.

But Android tablets make up a lot of units sold and thus a huge percentage of market share... so that's the clear winner, right?

Not so fast.

You can't just look at market share and make a decision based on that. You also have to consider the customers who might buy your app.

Developers don't care how many units are sold... developers will go where there is a better chance to make money.

And it's been like that for a long time. For instance... the iPhone has NEVER had more than 25% smartphone market share. And yet... it's always been a hugely successful platform.

Why?

Because iPhone customers spend more money on apps, games and accessories. It doesn't matter what their market share happens to be. And the same is true for tablets.

The iPad may only have 34% of the tablet market... but there's a better chance you'll be able to sell your app.
post #82 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post



Oh, and why just use Apple's sold numbers against shipped numbers? We all know how that makes no sense, especially since Apple does, in a roundabout way, give shipped numbers. When Apple talks about days or weeks of supply "in the channel" that's shipped devices. You multiply the average number of devices sold that previous quarter per day by the number of days supply in the channel, and then add that number to the total number sold, and you magically get the number shipped. But no one uses that number. It's very convenient, but I almost never see it done, except occasionally on Seeking Alpha. I've mentioned this to a number of writers on financial sites, and the response is something like; Well, yeah, I guess, that should be done. when I ask why they don't do it, the reply is; Uh, no one else does it.

 

Well, not true. Apple does give shipped, not sold numbers, thats what they give. You have to work out "sold", so thats the roundabout way. But you are right in not trusting the others. 

I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #83 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

But apparently, they first came out with the ad supported version which made them very little money, and so then came out with the paid version that sold very poorly. They did talk in a press conference about how poorly the paid version sold when compared to the iOS version.

From three years ago:
'In another bellwether for Android’s growing impact on the mobile gaming industry, Angry Birds is producing roughly even revenue from both Google’s platform and iOS, says its recently-funded maker Rovio."

Rovio is not a good poster-child for claiming developers don't make money on Android. It really doesn't help your argument to keep citing them. I'm sure you can find a valid example but Angry Birds is not one of them.
http://www.insidemobileapps.com/2011/03/13/angry-birds-android-ios/
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #84 of 225

I don't imagine Microsoft Office will do very well on Android either.  I downloaded the new version of Office on my Android device and tried it out.  It wasn't very impressive.  Android already has better office apps.  Also, Google Docs seems to be slowly taking over in many environments and the need for MS Office declines more everyday.  Releasing a version for Android tablets won't help them stay relevant as there are already better alternatives.  Microsoft will likely have to up their game if they want to succeed in the Android ecosystem.

post #85 of 225
Originally Posted by WS11 View Post
the device itself can do quite a bit more than an iPad.

 

Honestly?

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
post #86 of 225

Just a minor nit, but Apple's software is NOT free.  It is included in the price of the product [ie Numbers for newly purchased iPhones].

post #87 of 225

None of this pro-Apple talk makes any sense.  Almost no sane investor on Wall Street would bet on on Apple's survival against Google and Android.  Most are sure that Apple will only continue dropping from the 2012 starting point of its infamous death spiral.  Apple is still being valued for zero growth and even Microsoft is seen as having better growth prospects than Apple.  Microsoft is probably just making a mistake betting on Apple's iPad or simply had too much money invested already to kill the project.  Google and Android's market share completely obliterate every other computing platform on the planet.  The general consensus is that without Steve Jobs running Apple, the company will not be successful at any venture.  It just seems so obvious that most industry leaders are certain Apple will fail.  As it is, Microsoft's offering MS Office for iPad has increased Microsoft's value, but on Apple it has had the opposite effect.  Most analysts disregard Apple having any hooks into the Enterprise at all.  Most companies with strong positions in the Enterprise are not considered doomed companies.  Apple is, so any Enterprise presence Apple has must be rather minor.  All this boasting about Apple's strength in the post-PC era and it appears to me that Apple has been hit the hardest of all tech companies in terms of value.  Apple appears to be struggling merely to hold its ground.  Watch how Apple blows another financial quarter while Tim Cook proudly smiles.

post #88 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

The bigger competitor to MS is Google Apps, particularly Google Docs !

Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

I don't imagine Microsoft Office will do very well on Android either.  I downloaded the new version of Office on my Android device and tried it out.  It wasn't very impressive.  Android already has better office apps.  Also, Google Docs seems to be slowly taking over in many environments and the need for MS Office declines more everyday.  Releasing a version for Android tablets won't help them stay relevant as there are already better alternatives.  Microsoft will likely have to up their game if they want to succeed in the Android ecosystem.
http://www.networkworld.com/news/2014/031914-google-apps-279871.html
"For decades, basic office software didn't pose any major questions for IT departments - you bought Microsoft Office, and then worked on keeping it up-to-date, because there simply wasn't much else available that made sense for the enterprise. By the mid-1990s, Microsoft had ruthlessly dispatched competitors like Novell and was essentially unchallenged in the enterprise software market.

Over the past several years, however, Microsoft's dominion over productivity software use at the organizational level has been slowly but steadily eroded, due in large part to the emergence of a new cloud-based competitor, in the form of Google Apps. . . "
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #89 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post
 

 

You might want to stop listening to anyone saying that Apple is doomed.  That's complete nonsense.

post #90 of 225

Because iOS users are Microsoft's best chance of making any money from their Office-on-iOS venture. 

 

This has been mentioned before in a variety of other developer-related contexts over the years. It's fact. 

post #91 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post
 

None of this pro-Apple talk makes any sense.  Almost no sane investor on Wall Street would bet on on Apple's survival against Google and Android.  Most are sure that Apple will only continue dropping from the 2012 starting point of its infamous death spiral.  Apple is still being valued for zero growth and even Microsoft is seen as having better growth prospects than Apple.  Microsoft is probably just making a mistake betting on Apple's iPad or simply had too much money invested already to kill the project.  Google and Android's market share completely obliterate every other computing platform on the planet.  The general consensus is that without Steve Jobs running Apple, the company will not be successful at any venture.  It just seems so obvious that most industry leaders are certain Apple will fail.  As it is, Microsoft's offering MS Office for iPad has increased Microsoft's value, but on Apple it has had the opposite effect.  Most analysts disregard Apple having any hooks into the Enterprise at all.  Most companies with strong positions in the Enterprise are not considered doomed companies.  Apple is, so any Enterprise presence Apple has must be rather minor.  All this boasting about Apple's strength in the post-PC era and it appears to me that Apple has been hit the hardest of all tech companies in terms of value.  Apple appears to be struggling merely to hold its ground.  Watch how Apple blows another financial quarter while Tim Cook proudly smiles.

 

Can't believe I actually wasted time reading through that.

 

Another to add to the block list.

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Reply

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Reply
post #92 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Question: Why target Apple's minority tablet platform over Android which supposedly owns a 61.9 percent market share?

Answer: Because market share isn't as important as you think it is.

Market share is simply the percentage of things sold over the last quarter. ALL things.

Tablet market share includes iPads, Samsung tablets, Asus tablets, and all those cheap terrible tablets sold around the world.

But Android tablets make up a lot of units sold and thus a huge percentage of market share... so that's the clear winner, right?

Not so fast.

You can't just look at market share and make a decision based on that. You also have to consider the customers who might buy your app.

Developers don't care how many units are sold... developers will go where there is a better chance to make money.

And it's been like that for a long time. For instance... the iPhone has NEVER had more than 25% smartphone market share. And yet... it's always been a hugely successful platform.

Why?

Because iPhone customers spend more money on apps, games and accessories. It doesn't matter what their market share happens to be. And the same is true for tablets.

The iPad may only have 34% of the tablet market... but there's a better chance you'll be able to sell your app.

 

Tell it to the analysts and media seeking to manipulate Wall St.

 

AI and DED in particular, have long held a stance of looking behind the numbers to expose the fallacy of "marketshare" as the only useful metric.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #93 of 225
I seem to recall that the Mac version of Office was better than PC... well, except for PowerPoint, I guess.
post #94 of 225

Microsoft also announced that Office Mobile (iPhone and Android phone) are now free.

 

Took out my iPhone to check the top Apps and Office Mobile was at #3. Went to Google Play and it's #36.

 

Guess we know which platform has users more interested with doing actual work. Seems like MS made the right choice.

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Reply

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Reply
post #95 of 225
You follow the herd by naively pre-supposing that market share is the be-all, end-all for success, and then write a lengthy article wondering why MSFT didn't follow in the herd's tracks!

Wonderful.

One does need to imagine some secret information MSFT may have used to make the decision - it's all publicly on display, if one is willing at all to look past the market share number: there is the 2-1 greater profits iOS app developers realize (I.e. IPad users are more likely to buy Office); there is the 80% iPad web surfing statistics (I.e. IPad tablets actually get used); there are the demographics that suggest more affluent iPad users; there's the fact that iPads already dominate in the industries MSFT wants to sell into - education and small businesses. Just about any metric - other than raw market share - favors developing for iOS rather than Android first. One has to be blind not to see it.
post #96 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

The bigger competitor to MS is Google Apps, particularly Google Docs

Not a lot of people seem to realise that Microsoft's a bigger competitor to Google's core revenue stream than Apple. On Yahoo News, there are comments about why they feature articles about things that people have done with the iPhone like photography-related when 'Android phones are just as good and cheaper'. One of those reasons is that people actually do interesting things with their Apple products but Yahoo is a major competitor to Google, why would they feature Google's products?

There's a group of people who just have an 'anything but Apple' mentality so they'll use Windows and Android and complain about everything Apple without taking much thought to the idea that the two products they have are from fiercer competitors than the company they hate, whose products they most likely don't have.

Anyway, the issue here isn't really about Android as a whole, just Android tablets. Office is available for Android and can run on tablets, it just uses the phone UI:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.microsoft.office.officehub

A more accurate title would be why did Microsoft make a tablet version of Office for the iPad first. Probably the same reason hardly anyone makes tablet optimized versions of their apps for Android. Tm Cook said there were 500,000 tablet optimized apps for iPad vs 1,000 for Android:

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2014/02/07/tim-cook-trashes-crappy-android-tablet-experience-in-latest-interview/

You can see by the comments that one stung a little... which suggests they should do that more often.
post #97 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post
 

Microsoft also announced that Office Mobile (iPhone and Android phone) are now free.

 

Took out my iPhone to check the top Apps and Office Mobile was at #3. Went to Google Play and it's #36.

 

Guess we know which platform has users more interested with doing actual work. Seems like MS made the right choice.

 

Or, as pointed out above, Android already has superior options.  The fact that Office Mobile is at #3 signals to me that iOS had poor alternatives.  This new version of Office Mobile is far from the best option on Android.

post #98 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS11 View Post
 

Not to say that tagline is suddenly false, the T100 does come with Office H&S 2013 for free and the device itself can do quite a bit more than an iPad.

 

It's also quite a bit slower than the iPad (Air). And as a Windows machine, it's only average for performance and only suited to simpler tasks. And touch optimized Apps are scarce, making its use as a tablet, well, useless.

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Reply

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Reply
post #99 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post
 

 

Or, as pointed out above, Android already has superior options.  The fact that Office Mobile is at #3 signals to me that iOS had poor alternatives.  This new version of Office Mobile is far from the best option on Android.

 

Please list these "superior" options. iOS had iWork, which is superior to anything Google has in Google Docs and also superior to anything on Android. So people aren't flocking to Office on iOS because of "poor alternatives".

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Reply

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Reply
post #100 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post
 

 

Please list these "superior" options. iOS had iWork, which is superior to anything Google has in Google Docs and also superior to anything on Android. So people aren't flocking to Office on iOS because of "poor alternatives".

 

If iWork is so amazing then why would MS Office be the third most popular app?  That makes no sense.  If that's the case, then why are people "flocking to Office", as you say and the top apps chart would appear to confirm?

 

From what I've read on AI and other tech websites, iWork is indeed good and shows a lot of promise, but still had a ways to go to be able to compete with the big boys.  Maybe they've made large strides in the last few months?

post #101 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post
 

Microsoft also announced that Office Mobile (iPhone and Android phone) are now free.

I decided to download it, even though I have no use for it. I just wanted to see if you can actually create Office documents. Turns out I was unable to even run the app because I apparently don't have an acceptable email address.

 

It says to get started enter a Microsoft email address or the email address of your organization. I entered my corporate email address but it was rejected. I entered in my iCloud address and that was rejected as well. I'm not sure how I am expected to use this app, if I can't get past the first screen of the setup process. Delete!

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #102 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post
 

 

If iWork is so amazing then why would MS Office be the third most popular app?  That makes no sense.  If that's the case, then why are people "flocking to Office", as you say and the top apps chart would appear to confirm?

 

From what I've read on AI and other tech websites, iWork is indeed good and shows a lot of promise, but still had a ways to go to be able to compete with the big boys.  Maybe they've made large strides in the last few months?

 

I'm still waiting for your list of "superior" Android alternatives.

 

iWork has been out for a long time, and is free with any new iDevice purchase, so it won't have a "spike" of downloads like you would with a newly released product (like Office).

 

Google Docs only had one big advantage over iWork, which is collaboration. And between Apple's first showing of iWork running in a browser and the iPad Air announcement Apple added collaboration. Google Docs is not very feature-rich if you want to create something beyond a simple spreadsheet or document.

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Reply

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Reply
post #103 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post
 

 

I'm still waiting for your list of "superior" Android alternatives.

 

iWork has been out for a long time, and is free with any new iDevice purchase, so it won't have a "spike" of downloads like you would with a newly released product (like Office).

 

Google Docs only had one big advantage over iWork, which is collaboration. And between Apple's first showing of iWork running in a browser and the iPad Air announcement Apple added collaboration. Google Docs is not very feature-rich if you want to create something beyond a simple spreadsheet or document.

 

So iWork has been out for a long time, is great, yet when an alternative comes out it spikes to #3 because why?  That is a signal that iWorks may not be as great for everyone else as it is for you.  If it works for you and does everything you need then by all means continue using it.  I'm certainly not here to try to tell you otherwise.

 

Google Docs also has one other big advantage over iWork that you failed to mention and that is compatibility with other OS's.  Last I knew iWork only worked on Apple devices.

post #104 of 225
Originally Posted by WS11 View Post
Of course, the T100 runs x86 Windows 8.1.  

 

Okay, I was making a joke based on the posters, but now I’m actually mocking that claim by saying HONESTLY?!

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
post #105 of 225

Quote:

Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post
 

 

So iWork has been out for a long time, is great, yet when an alternative comes out it spikes to #3 because why?  That is a signal that iWorks may not be as great for everyone else as it is for you.  If it works for you and does everything you need then by all means continue using it.  I'm certainly not here to try to tell you otherwise.

 

Google Docs also has one other big advantage over iWork that you failed to mention and that is compatibility with other OS's.  Last I knew iWork only worked on Apple devices.

 

Oh FFS. iWork now works in browsers. Apple demonstrated it running in both IE and Chrome on Windows PC's. So now iWork is available on any device with a browser. Just like Google Docs.

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Reply

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Reply
post #106 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post
 
Google Docs only had one big advantage over iWork, which is collaboration. 

I'm not sure about Google Docs, but I thought it was part of Google Apps. I still use iWork, but Google Apps for Business, especially Mail and Google Drive are is really full featured and lightyears ahead of iCloud.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #107 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

So iWork has been out for a long time, is great, yet when an alternative comes out it spikes to #3 because why?  That is a signal that iWorks may not be as great for everyone else as it is for you.  If it works for you and does everything you need then by all means continue using it.  I'm certainly not here to try to tell you otherwise.

Google Docs also has one other big advantage over iWork that you failed to mention and that is compatibility with other OS's.  Last I knew iWork only worked on Apple devices.

1) @EricTheHalfBee's remarks about spiking is sound. We see all the time. Do you think the number of Chrome for iOS downloads the first few days are inline with the number of people who are currently using it? I certainly downloaded it, tried it, but then went back to Safari. The same thing for many other Mac and iOS browsers.

2) Most apps have something they can do better than a competitor, and this is certainly true for iWork, MS Office, OpenOffice, and Google Docs. iWork was never as advanced as most of their competitors and that's even more true with their revision but I find it very constant and more pleasant to use over other options.

3) I believe iWork will work everywhere that Google Docs does.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #108 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post
 

I'm not sure about Google Docs, but I thought it was part of Google Apps. I still use iWork, but Google Apps for Business, especially Mail and Google Drive are is really full featured and lightyears ahead of iCloud.

 

Mail and Drive offer more than iCloud for sure, but this article is about Office and similar packages, which means we're talking about the big 3 - word processing, spreadsheets and presentations.

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Reply

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Reply
post #109 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post
 

Quote:

 

Oh FFS. iWork now works in browsers. Apple demonstrated it running in both IE and Chrome on Windows PC's. So now iWork is available on any device with a browser. Just like Google Docs.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

3) I believe iWork will work everywhere that Google Docs does.

 

Good to know!  Care to share the link to where anyone can go and use it?  I'm only finding a download for Macs on Apple's site.

 

EDIT:  Ah, thru iCloud I see.


Edited by DroidFTW - 3/29/14 at 2:48pm
post #110 of 225
Imagine if the contrary had happened and Office was first release on Android. People would say that :

- open always wins
- you can do real work only on Android
- it's a proof Android is better than iOS
- Apple is doomed

Yet now I see no one saying that :

- too open is bad
- you can do real work on iPad
- iOS is at least as good as Android
- Apple wins

More than 15 years ago when Steve Jobs introduces Office for Mac people said Apple was in a bad position and needed Microsoft to thrive. Now Microsoft introduces Office on iPad but it's them who absolutely needed to do that. Apple didn't care much.
post #111 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


1) @EricTheHalfBee's remarks about spiking is sound. We see all the time. Do you think the number of Chrome for iOS downloads the first few days are inline with the number of people who are currently using it? I certainly downloaded it, tried it, but then went back to Safari. The same thing for many other Mac and iOS browsers.

 

And I downloaded MS Office for Android to try it.  There's no doubt that tech geeks like us are going to test out the new options, but I just don't see that applying to the masses.  Much like how most users don't tinker with default settings when the default is good enough for them.

post #112 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post
 
Mail and Drive offer more than iCloud for sure, but this article is about Office and similar packages, which means we're talking about the big 3 - word processing, spreadsheets and presentations.

The way I work is not ideal because things are disconnected from one another. For example I use Google Apps Mail for business. I'm not sure if that is different than gmail or not but I like it a lot better than Apple Mail or web based iCould mail. For the occasional productivity app usage I still use iWork (the old version) on the desktop and for cloud storage I use Google Drive. It would be nice if Apple offered similar solutions because then I could use all Apple offerings but that is not the case. For me, all my productivity tasks are on the desktop. I almost never use iWork online or iOS. 

 

I would imagine most people aren't willing to put up with their productivity tasks including email, storage and office-like apps separated like I do which likely drives them to Windows and Office/365, One Drive solutions because it is all integrated with few limitations. From that perspective the release of Office for iPad is a godsend for many business folks because they love their iPads but need to be connected to the office without jumping through hoops.


Edited by mstone - 3/29/14 at 3:36pm

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #113 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

And I downloaded MS Office for Android to try it.  There's no doubt that tech geeks like us are going to test out the new options, but I just don't see that applying to the masses.  Much like how most users don't tinker with default settings when the default is good enough for them.

That's an interesting point. How many people are just testing it v how many really want it? This time around, I didn't DL their iOS apps and I haven't used Office 365 on their online portal. I haven't even use MS Office for Mac in a couple years. It was one of the biggest deals in tech this week and I saw major outlets covering it. Perhaps tech geek is a widening and generalizing group as we get more and more people connected. That said, I don't know anyone locally that installed it.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #114 of 225
Many Android tablets are toys, that can be purchased for under $100 for children. Not too many children need Office. The iPad is the defacto standard tablet for business and K-12 education and all the primary software vendors are making apps for it. The K-12 educational publishers standardized on the iPad and have had their courseware contrnt available for the iPad for a few years already.
post #115 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post


TechCrunch posted an article comparing the development process of an identical app for both iOS and Android. A good factual read particularly for those that only know what little they've heard in forum posts. IMO "fragmentation" is much less of a concern thatn it was even 6 months ago. There's other reasons bigger developers prioritize iOS over Android, not that most ignore Android anyway.
http://techcrunch.com/2013/11/16/the-state-of-the-art/?ncid=fb

 

Can always count on Gatorguy to "come to the rescue" of any product that is compared unfavourably to an Apple product in any thread, no matter what. 

 

From your link, which I assume the most favorable article towards Android you could possibly find on the subject:

 

Quote:

 Apple’s is Xcode, which is, by and large, a joy to work with. It’s slick, fast, powerful, helpful without being intrusive, and it keeps getting better at papering over both the unheimlich compilation machinery beneath its glossy exterior, and the complex and paranoid certificate/profile machinery which Apple imposes on developers to retain its titanium-fisted control over iOS apps and devices. The debugger works seamlessly, and the simulator is fast and responsive.

 

But Android? Oh, Android. The current state-of-the-art IDE is Eclipse, customized with Android plugins, and it is embarrassingly bad. Slow, clunky, counterintuitive when not outright baffling, poorly laid out, needlessly complex, it’s just a mess. Its debugger is so clumsy that I find myself doing log-file debugging most of the time, whereas the XCode debugger is my iOS go-to bug-hunt tool. And the less said about the Android emulator, which takes minutes to launch and then half the time fails to connect to the Android Debug Bridge, the better.

 

Conclusion:

Quote:
 iOS, and by some distance. Android has its advantages, but overall, it remains significantly easier to write good iOS apps than good Android apps. Combine that with the fact that iOS users tend to be wealthier–and arguably more influential–and it still makes sense for most startups who want to make a splash to go iOS-first, Android-later. The new Android Studio IDE could conceivably close some of that gap…but not all of it.

(For the record, my own primary phone is a Nexus 4, and I’m very happy with it.)

 

Yeah, sounds fantastic. Next time you Google "android development is better than iOS" or something, make you you actually read the article to see if it fits your agenda. 

post #116 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post
 

None of this pro-Apple talk makes any sense.  Almost no sane investor on Wall Street would bet on on Apple's survival against Google and Android.

Any chance you could change your psychotic posting style, Constable Odo? It may work with the denizens of DS9 but here on Earth it comes across as just plain insane…

post #117 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Can always count on Gatorguy to "come to the rescue" of any product that is compared unfavourably to an Apple product in any thread, no matter what. 

From your link, which I assume the most favorable article towards Android you could possibly find on the subject

I wasn't trying to find a biased pro-Android article nor "coming to the rescue" which I thought would have been obvious from my comment when posting it. I was instead looking for something that fairly portrayed the process. If you missed that in the original post I would have thought my comment to Mel on that issue would have made it totally clear.
http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/176236/why-did-microsoft-port-office-to-apples-ios-ipad-before-android#post_2506439

I understand that may seem a confusing and foreign thing to do if you were someone who only admits to reading or searching for articles that fit your agenda. 1hmm.gif

I'm not as blindly pro-Android as you'd like to believe. Blindly pro-anything is pretty silly IMO whether it's religion, politics or your consumer product choices.

EDIT: To their credit most members here are generally open to views and evidence that may not fit with what they already believed, and I'd definitely slot myself in that category.
Hat-tip to Soli
Edited by Gatorguy - 3/29/14 at 4:16pm
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #118 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.ballmer View Post
 
Any chance you could change your psychotic posting style, Constable Odo? It may work with the denizens of DS9 but here on Earth it comes across as just plain insane…

Yeah, that was quite the soliloquy. I thought about refuting some of those comments but he was not entirely out of the mainstream group think on any of the topics he addressed. I would disagree with all of his prophetic scenarios but it is pointless to argue with his talking points because they are all based on the future which no one can predict.

 

BTW I admire your post count/sign up date. Quite an accomplishment to be able to refrain from commenting when so much BS is posted on this site. You must be a very kicked back dude. Too bad you had to respond to such a jackass comment as his.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #119 of 225
Another great article to read. I like in depth looks like this. Great article. Thank you.
post #120 of 225
Seems to me that some folks are over thinking this. Why did MS go iOS before Android? Might be nothing more than PR. iOS users have been screaming for the programs for ages and naysayers have been saying MS will neve do it because it's the only thing the Surface has as a selling point. No one using Android had made similar claims. So by releasing the iOS version MS is saying hell no to the scared claims, which they don't need to do with Android

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Why did Microsoft port Office to Apple's iOS iPad before Android?
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Why did Microsoft port Office to Apple's iOS iPad before Android?