or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Questionable 'iPhone 6' prototype shows protruding camera, lacks Apple's 'True Tone' flash

Questionable 'iPhone 6' prototype shows protruding camera, lacks Apple's 'True Tone' flash

post #1 of 79
New snapshots that purport to show a prototype of Apple's so-called "iPhone 6" have emerged from China, though the device pictured bears some bizarre inconsistencies that call its authenticity into question.

The photos depict a handset slightly taller, wider, and thinner than the iPhone 5s and are said to have come directly from insiders at Taiwanese contract manufacturer Foxconn, Apple's longtime iPhone assembly partner. They were originally published on Chinese microblogging site Weibo and first noticed by GforGames.

The two most prominent changes from current models are an iPod touch-style protruding camera lens and the lack of the dual-LED True Tone flash setup found in the iPhone 5s. While the external camera lens may be a trade-off for overall device size, it seems unlikely that Apple would abandon the True Tone system as imaging becomes a more important differentiator in mobile devices.

It is difficult to ascertain the exact size due to the photos' low resolution, though the spacing between the headphone jack and the Lightning port suggests it may play host to a screen somewhat less than five inches diagonally. Schematics included in the images also show iPhone 5c-style speaker holes.

There are some areas where the pictured device does line up with rumors about Apple's next-generation iPhone. That handset is believed to sport a larger display, for instance, and an industrial design reminiscent of the iPad mini.
post #2 of 79

It's either completely fake or a new revised iPod Touch.

post #3 of 79

Steve would never have had the camera protrude.

No, seriously, he wouldn’t have. He would have waited until they could engineer an optical zoom that would remain flush with the case before putting it in a shipping product. Not sure of Apple’s game here.

And how can it be said that it’s taller, wider, or thinner from these images? There’s absolutely no frame of reference.

Originally Posted by THEMAC1NT0SH View Post
It's either completely fake or a new revised iPod Touch.

The iPod touch has a single panel back. It wouldn’t need separation.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

post #4 of 79

The iPhone doesn't need to be any thinner.  If depth room can be saved internally, please make the battery larger.  I'd rather have 2 days of charge.

post #5 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And how can it be said that it’s taller, wider, or thinner from these images? There’s absolutely no frame of reference.

I guess because the headphone jack and lightning port are known points of reference: "It is difficult to ascertain the exact size due to the photos' low resolution, though the spacing between the headphone jack and the Lightning port suggests it may play host to a screen somewhat less than five inches diagonally."

post #6 of 79
Looks to me like an iPod touch. Perhaps all these rumors of a 5"+ phone are for a new iPod touch?
post #7 of 79

Why is the design factory looking at iPhone schematics in Microsoft Word on Windows XP?

post #8 of 79
Designing next-gen of iPhone using Windows XP? Makes it hard to believe.
post #9 of 79
I'm not sure if Jony Ive uses Windows XP to design his best products.. If so, I'm surpr%u2026 No, no way, it's impossible:) It's like Tim Cook with LG G2 on Apple keynotes! 120% fake.
post #10 of 79
This is complete BS.

The design is way too similar to the 5s. Johnny Ive and the team are not gonna release something with the same design 3 years in a row.
post #11 of 79
Where's the Samsung logo?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #12 of 79
post #13 of 79
I want to see the sapphire glass.
This is the real thing, I feel it. Looks very thin.
The white parts are probably for a test model only.
post #14 of 79
Quote:

No, seriously, he wouldn’t have. He would have waited until they could engineer an optical zoom that would remain flush with the case before putting it in a shipping product. Not sure of Apple’s game here.

Of course there is a reference. The Lightning port and headphone jack. It seems 1-1.5 mm thinner than the iPhone 5.

post #15 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephanJobs View Post

This is complete BS.

I agree. Apple would never use MS Word, on the now unsupported XP for crying out loud, for prototype drawings¡
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
post #16 of 79

How about this is the new iPhone 6c design?  Based on the single speaker and the lack of True Tone Flash, it is very similar.  Maybe Apple decided to do away with the plastic case and use an all metal design.

post #17 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

I want to see the sapphire glass.
This is the real thing, I feel it. Looks very thin.
The white parts are probably for a test model only.

Previous leaked photos of prototypes show that Apple does not use different colors for test units. They use the same materials as what the final product is meant to have. It's actually important in determining color, wear, design, etc.

I don't understand the interest in seeing the sapphire glass. It would look the same, as it is glass. Its function is to permit light to pass through. The difference would be in durability and other performance measurements that would not be visible.

Anyhow, this is a fake. Fortune 100 manufacturers don't use MS Word to create engineering schematics. They use high-end CAD programs like ProEngineer, AutoCAD, etc.

post #18 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I agree. Apple would never use MS Word, on the now unsupported XP for crying out loud, for prototype drawings¡

Foxconn needed to open a Word file, and a PC clone running a pirated copy of Windows XP is in fact, the standard workplace configuration in Taiwan. 1wink.gif

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #19 of 79

When I meant that I wanted to 'see' sapphire glass, I just meant I wanted the iPhone to have it... I had thought people would tell me what you said.

The lack of true-tone flash is dubious, but I don't see any obvious indication that it's a fake. It's still very early for mass production, maybe they are doing some tests for build only, before looking at materials.

Well, if it's fake I'd be happy about it, that protruding camera looks terrible.

post #20 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawson100 View Post

Designing next-gen of iPhone using Windows XP? Makes it hard to believe.

Foxconn didn't design the iPhone.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #21 of 79
Uh, how can they tell there is no True Tone flash from those photos? And the protruding lens? We're looking at low res photos of computer displays...one with a photo and the other with a diagram. The protruding lens might just be for diagram visibility purposes. The other is unclear.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #22 of 79

Heard about Goophone? Search for it. They not only fck iPhone, but every famous android phone out there: HTC One, Galaxy S...Sony Xperia, Nokia N...whatever. Chinese knockoffs are great business and they're like garbage in flee market, it's everywhere and can't be shut down.

post #23 of 79
Quote:

Why would Steve come into picture here?, after all he asked Apple to not to think WHAT STEVE WOULD DO? :\

post #24 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Foxconn needed to open a Word file, and a PC clone running a pirated copy of Windows XP is in fact, the standard workplace configuration in Taiwan. 1wink.gif

I wish they would hand out phones with proper cameras to their employees, but so far we got these flurry images from 0.4 Megapixel cameras.
post #25 of 79
Quote:

This is complete BS.

The design is way too similar to the 5s. Johnny Ive and the team are not gonna release something with the same design 3 years in a row.
So what different design are you expecting? Colored plastic sure didn't go over well.
post #26 of 79
Johnny Ive and the team are not gonna release an iDevice with the same design 3 years in a row.

Fixed.

Apple would never use MS Word, on the now unsupported XP for crying out loud, for prototype drawings¡

Wait, what’s sarcastic about that?

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
Colored plastic sure didn't go over well.

Are we still on those lies?

post #27 of 79
Quote:

Baloney! If a significant technology advance required it the iPhone would have required it. You seem to forget that one of Steve's personal goals was to remake the photography would.
Quote:

Again you don't know what you are talking about here. If the gains are worth it Steve would jump on such a design. Why? Because one of his goals with iPhone was and apparently still is Apples aim, to revolutionize the photography world. A phone with even a modest 2X optical zoom is an very very desirable alternative to a fixed focal length device. I would imagine that Apple would go for even more zoom. Beyond that they could be incorporating other technologies into that bump.
Quote:
Well that is probably wishful thinking.
Quote:

post #28 of 79
Quote:

Quote:
Apple would never use MS Word, on the now unsupported XP for crying out loud, for prototype drawings¡

Wait, what’s sarcastic about that?

post #29 of 79

Re the apparent lack of true-tone it could be the "5c" type version. They could be reserving that feature for the higher version - which is likely to be even bigger (sigh)

I dont believe this is an iPod Touch - due to the uneccessary breaks in the back , unless they add cellular connectivity like an iPad of course.. which could be appealing.. in which case it would also resolve the issue of the 5c space too..

William
iMac 21.5" Late 2012, iPad 3 (Works fine for films), iPhone 5 (6 on order)

William
iMac 21.5" Late 2012, iPad 3 (Works fine for films), iPhone 5 (6 on order)

post #30 of 79
Quote:

I wish they would hand out phones with proper cameras to their employees, but so far we got these flurry images from 0.4 Megapixel cameras.

LOL. These are the same cameras used to prove that Bigfoot exist.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #31 of 79
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post
You seem to forget that one of Steve's personal goals was to remake the photography would.

Oh, no! In fact, I tend to be far more aggressive in what I think is possible now than what is actually possible now. Guess I’m naïve, but if a bunch of people thinking the same way means we see great tech sooner than otherwise, good

I maintain that this could also be a light field camera miniaturization. :lol:

˙uʍop ǝpısdn ǝʇıɹʍ ʎןןɐnʇɔɐ sn buıʇʇǝן ɹoɟ sʞuɐɥʇ ˙ǝpoɔıun 'ɥɐ

post #32 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdowell View Post

Re the apparent lack of true-tone it could be the "5c" type version. They could be reserving that feature for the higher version - which is likely to be even bigger (sigh)

I dont believe this is an iPod Touch - due to the uneccessary breaks in the back , unless they add cellular connectivity like an iPad of course.. which could be appealing.. in which case it would also resolve the issue of the 5c space too..

Has nobody considered the possibility that Apple may have found a way to get true tone into a single aperture?

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #33 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdowell View Post

What about this is Goophone 6c? Done deal.

post #34 of 79
Quote:

This is complete BS.

The iPod Classic still has the click wheel. And the PowerMac G5 design carried over to the Mac Pro.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #35 of 79
Quote:

¡

I mean, !
post #36 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

Chinese knockoffs are great business and they're like garbage in flee market, it's everywhere and can't be shut down.

Dood, you're Engrish locks!

post #37 of 79
Quote:

Goodness!  Have you folks been visiting NASA?  Hanging out with Jack Klompus?

post #38 of 79
Anyone know when the next official annc typically is? This spring? Summer, fall? A particular month?

I won't hold anyone's feet to the fire, obviously ur not guaranteeing there will be an annc.
post #39 of 79
Quote:

I'd think at least you would be above this "Steve wouldn't have" bullshit. Even if this is true, you have no clue of the design/engineering/feature factors that were considered to make that decision. If having a scratch-proof sapphire-coated lens protrude a mm in order to allow some major advantage that would be impossible otherwise, that wouldn't be the biggest disaster in the world, and you have no insight into what SJ in 2014 would "do". Many design compromises have been made with Apple products in order to enhance usability. 

post #40 of 79
Quote:

This is complete BS.

What a ridiculous statement. The fundamental design of the iPhone hasn't really changed since 2007. It simply goes through major enhancements every revision, but the overall iconic shape remains. I see no reason this will change, they're not gonna come up with a significantly different shape simply for the hell of it. They will refine and enhance what they have, which is what they should do. Same thing that's done with Macbooks, iMacs, iPads, etc. 

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Questionable 'iPhone 6' prototype shows protruding camera, lacks Apple's 'True Tone' flash
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Questionable 'iPhone 6' prototype shows protruding camera, lacks Apple's 'True Tone' flash