or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple raises international App Store prices to adjust for exchange rates

Apple raises international App Store prices to adjust for exchange rates

post #1 of 16
Apple on Monday notified developers that App Store pricing for five currencies will be changing within the next 24 hours, with the adjustments serving to acclimate the digital store to fluctuating exchange rates.

As noted in the iTunes Connect letter, provided to AppleInsider by reader Gregg, the changes affecting both the iOS and OS X App Stores are routine adjustment made periodically to reflect worldwide economic trends.

To account for changes in foreign exchange rates, App Store retail prices will be increased for the following currencies:

• Australian Dollar
  • India Rupee
  • Indonesian Rupia
  • Turkish Lira
  • South African Rand

In addition to the App Store price bumps, Apple will be raising retail prices for Israeli New Shekels, while decreasing "some price tiers" for New Zealand.

Apple adjusted App Store pricing in the UK in 2011 and in Japan last year.

Developers can view the new Pricing Matrix as well as updates to their iOS Paid Applications and Mac OS X Paid Application contracts on the iTunes Connect website.
post #2 of 16

I have a sneaking suspicion that soon all iTunes music will be $1.29 per song and the $.99 song will go away.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #3 of 16
DOJ to investigate Apple on the so called exchange rate prices increases.
post #4 of 16
Why!!! Blame the queen!! 1wink.gif
post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

To account for changes in foreign exchange rates, App Store retail prices will be increased for the following currencies:

• Australian Dollar

The Australian Dollar has risen 4 cents against the USD in the last month and is tipped to go even higher in coming weeks. And Apple wants to increase prices? I guess they're just building in some fat for the impending tax bill once the 'Double Irish' sham is busted.

Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

The Australian Dollar has risen 4 cents against the USD in the last month and is tipped to go even higher in coming weeks. And Apple wants to increase prices? I guess they're just building in some fat for the impending tax bill once the 'Double Irish' sham is busted.

Is that the last time Apple increased its prices down under? Uh nope.
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

• Australian Dollar

Your chart is pointless: it shows the last four weeks of exchange rates.

When did Apple last change prices in Australia? (Note, for example that the article says that prices in the UK have not changed in three years). What has happened to the value of USD/AUD in that time?

I am quite willing to bet that it is at a new lower (depreciated) plateau relative to when Apple last changed prices.

PS: Pipped by jungmark

post #8 of 16
Interesting. USD99c apps used to be AUD$1.19 a few years ago then just the lowest tier was dropped to AUD99c. I wonder if they will leave the 99c tier and raise the others.

Personally I'd like to see the AUD over parity again, since I'll be travelling to the US later this year.
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I have a sneaking suspicion that soon all iTunes music will be $1.29 per song and the $.99 song will go away.

Your fears are unfounded.
Post from mstone to Benjamin Frost - "Perhaps that explains your lack of mental capacity. If I was your brother, I probably would have repeatedly smashed the side of your head with a cricket bat."
Post from mstone to Benjamin Frost - "Perhaps that explains your lack of mental capacity. If I was your brother, I probably would have repeatedly smashed the side of your head with a cricket bat."
post #10 of 16
If you take note of where the international date line is, you will also note that it is already April 1st somewhere in the world.

Just sayin'
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Your fears are unfounded.

Suspicion, not fear.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #12 of 16
Quote:

In the Indian iTMS, there is only one price for songs. It works out to about $0.25 per song.

post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by BestKeptSecret View Post

In the Indian iTMS, there is only one price for songs. It works out to about $0.25 per song.

Interesting.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #14 of 16
You can all thank the scumbags in the South African government. Our new digital tax kicks in today. All digital goods are taxed so there is more money for them to steal and to build lavish private homes with our taxes. Google Nkandla.
post #15 of 16
It's fair to raise prices based on the exchange rate. Still, it'd be nice if they lowered the prices on an improving exchange, the UK for example should now be lower.
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
post #16 of 16
Quote:

Suspicion, not fear.

Your suspicion is unfounded.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple raises international App Store prices to adjust for exchange rates
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple raises international App Store prices to adjust for exchange rates