or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Reuters: Production of 'iPhone 6' screens to begin in May, 5.5" model delayed
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Reuters: Production of 'iPhone 6' screens to begin in May, 5.5" model delayed

post #1 of 45
Thread Starter 
Apple is preparing to ramp up production of displays bound for next-generation iPhones which, according to Reuters, will launch this fall in 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch varieties.

iPhone Plus
Mockup of iPhone with 4.94-inch screen, created by Marco Arment.


Citing supply chain sources, Reuters on Tuesday reported that Apple partner display manufacturer Japan Display will be first to start mass production of 4.7-inch panels bound for the so-called "iPhone 6" as early as May, with Sharp and LG Display to follow in June. Current iPhone 5s and 5c models sport a 4-inch display.

A second, larger 5.5-inch version is also on the way, but difficulties with in-cell manufacturing methods have delayed a ramp to mass production. An initial kick-off date is unknown, but suppliers are expected to begin manufacturing the large phablet-size screen "several months" after the 4.7-inch version. To push production forward, Apple could initially fall back on older thin film technology for the 5.5-inch display, then switch to in-cell at a later date, sources said.

According to the publication both new iPhone models were slated to use in-cell touchscreens, a technology that slims down the overall thickness of a device's touch panel by incorporating capacitive touch sensors into the LCD array. Apple first employed the tech in 2012 with the iPhone 5.

The latest rumors run counter to a report from Japanese financial publication Nikkei, which last week said Apple was already producing 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch displays to be used in the next iPhone. While the publications disagree on a manufacturing start date, they agree on screen sizes and suppliers.

Along with the reported bump in screen size, rumors surrounding Apple's next flagship handset abound. The most recent speculation ranges from the inclusion of sapphire displays to a new 10-megapixel f/1.8 camera module with interchangeable lenses.
post #2 of 45
Is this earlier than prior iPhone screen production ramp-ups? Apple must expect huge demand, if they're starting production in May for a September release. No more out-of-stock for Apple products from now on 1wink.gif
post #3 of 45
I love the idea of staggering the release dates, even it's not intentional. As long as they can get the bigger phone on the shelf by November, Apple will end up selling 70mil iPhones this Holiday qtr.

I can't wait to finally watch movies, read, prepare documents etc on my iPhone. It's been a long time coming...if this rumor is true. I might just end up getting both sizes.
post #4 of 45
Prediction: The 5.5 inch will be this season's 6C. Same resolution as 4.7 inch phone, A7 and current camera.
post #5 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric38 View Post

Is this earlier than prior iPhone screen production ramp-ups? Apple must expect huge demand, if they're starting production in May for a September release. No more out-of-stock for Apple products from now on 1wink.gif

Yeah, that and maybe releasing the new product in more countries on the release date. It seem Apple is hitting more countries about the same date with each new release. I'm thinking this will not just be an incremental advancement... the 64-bit chip will be put to task, leaving Samscum panting to claim, "me too."
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #6 of 45
I don't know man. For me I get frustrated when I can't use my iPhone 5 with one hand. Usually that's when waking up or going to sleep. But I like the sleekness of this size device. I just can't see myself wanting something that's as big as even 4.7 inches let alone 5.5 inches. I'm definitely not getting the 5.5 inch one if one comes out but the 4.7 inch one if that's the only new one available in a moderately small size then I'll probably get that one.
You can't spell appeal without Apple.
Reply
You can't spell appeal without Apple.
Reply
post #7 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcstarheel View Post

I don't know man. For me I get frustrated when I can't use my iPhone 5 with one hand. Usually that's when waking up or going to sleep. But I like the sleekness of this size device. I just can't see myself wanting something that's as big as even 4.7 inches let alone 5.5 inches. I'm definitely not getting the 5.5 inch one if one comes out but the 4.7 inch one if that's the only new one available in a moderately small size then I'll probably get that one.

 

I have a phone with a 4.7" screen and have no problems operating it with one hand when I need to.  4.7" is the perfect size for my hands (YMMV).

post #8 of 45
Yep. I think all the analysts are underestimating how well a bigger iPhone will sell. There are 100's of millions of past and present iPhone users that will decide to get the bigger iPhone over the next couple years. Sammy made a huge mistake by releasing an incremental upgrade with the S5. Decisions on a phone will be easily made this fall. I just worry about price. I could see Apple charging $600 on contract for their 5.7" with 128gb, or they could make the larger 5.7" the next iteration of the 5c, which makes a lot of sense to me, given their unwavering objection to 2-handed smartphone use. "Here you go, the phablet, but it's plastic." Kinda a way to keep folks buying their premium phone, but giving them the option for a phablet similar in look and specs to the 5c. Maybe the 5.7" won't come with TouchID.
post #9 of 45
Hasn't anyone here found it ironic, that this "report" comes out on the same day that Apple has announced the date for their next quarterly report call? Don't you see what those bastards on Wall Street are doing? They're now going to start citing imaginary and fictitious claims of Apple delaying the production of the "saviour" of the iPhone line (a phablet), just before the call, to make it appear the company is floundering, thus causing a stock crash again. All the while, NO ONE actually knows ANYTHING conclusive about the next iPhone, and we won't know anything truly conclusive right up until a week or two before the announcement!

This type of sterile conjecture is going beyond anything that should be considered legal, and I firmly hope Tim Cook starts going after these vermin.
post #10 of 45
Apple wouldn't be foolish enough to get rid of the 4" iPhone, especially after years and years of praising that screen size.
post #11 of 45
Apple needs to catch up quickly with other leading smartphone manufacturers.
post #12 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagMan1979 View Post

Hasn't anyone here found it ironic, that this "report" comes out on the same day that Apple has announced the date for their next quarterly report call?

 

You mean April Fool's Day?  What could possibly be fishy about an iPhone phablet announcement on April Fool's Day...  ;) 

post #13 of 45
May be that is what Tim Cook was referring to as new product Category. When our usage of iPhone isn't very much a phone at all. It is more like a Gaming / Internet / Muti Media Devices more then anything.
post #14 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksec View Post

May be that is what Tim Cook was referring to as new product Category. When our usage of iPhone isn't very much a phone at all. It is more like a Gaming / Internet / Muti Media Devices more then anything.

Here's my guess:

 

iPhone mini = 3.5", taking design clues from the iPhone 5C

iPhone = 4.7" replacing the 4", the idea is to differentiate the bigger iPhone from the original size.

 

iPod (Touch) = 5.5" , targeted to gamers. Definitely not a phone anymore.

post #15 of 45
1) What? No 4" iPhone anymore? Ah, April Fools Day. This is getting a little childish.

2) And that 5.5" screen could be for an iWatch from Samsung.
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
Reply
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
Reply
post #16 of 45
Isn't this "news" were modified year after year from 3 to 4 to 5...to 6? OMG....how creative and innovative does a journalist needs to be about the screen delays time after time?
post #17 of 45

im ok with this. An iOS device capable of phone calls with a 5.5" display and a bunch of upgrades over my 4S... yes please!

post #18 of 45
Did anyone really think Apple was building a 5.5" phablet? No. What's allegedly delayed never existed, other than as one of many prototypes in the design lab.
post #19 of 45
And we know what's going on.

The iPhone with bigger screen will be an ultra compact ultra thin, light phone with as thin bezel as possible to hit a perfect balance of big screen and form factor.

If this iPhone will be able to make people of smaller screened iPhones upgrade and (more importantly) at the same time convince phone users who want over 4" display to buy iPhone, even convincing some of the over 5" users to upgrade (like people who upgrade from iPad to iPad mini) sales will be so high that Apple doesn't need to make a crippled clumsy phone/tiny tablet type of device and so they will not release the even bigger iPhone.

If the sales will be lowered by number of people waiting for an even larger iPhone Apple will make one later ! Pretty simple and great strategy.

I personally think that the 1 scenario will happen, because I think that most small tablet users use these because of specs (bigger phone=better specs, lots of people is fooled by paper specs so they buy the biggest phone with "best specs") and if you can offer them a lot smaller phone with not so much smaller display and over the top specs you won them over to your side... But Apple never offered great specs by measures of other companies.
post #20 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric38 View Post

Apple wouldn't be foolish enough to get rid of the 4" iPhone, especially after years and years of praising that screen size.
The oldest phone will retain that size. But Apple has never been fixed on a particular screen size. Yes, the 4" model is easily used with one hand. But times change, and so do screen sizes.
post #21 of 45
There is no 5.5" iPhone.
post #22 of 45

I think it's interesting that we're hearing the 5.5" rumour from multiple different sources. It doesn't make it true, but it certainly bolsters its credibility.

post #23 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

I have a phone with a 4.7" screen and have no problems operating it with one hand when I need to.  4.7" is the perfect size for my hands (YMMV).
I have big hands too I just like the look and feel of the iPhone 5. I'll have to try out the 4.7" if it comes to pass. But I feel I'll need to use two hands more.
You can't spell appeal without Apple.
Reply
You can't spell appeal without Apple.
Reply
post #24 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

The oldest phone will retain that size. But Apple has never been fixed on a particular screen size. Yes, the 4" model is easily used with one hand. But times change, and so do screen sizes.

Times change, but people's hands and pockets aren't getting larger.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #25 of 45

I do not believe in a 5.5" model. "Delayed" = "killed" 

post #26 of 45
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post
Times change, but people's hands and pockets aren't getting larger.

 

Since our hands (and feet, ears, nose) grow throughout our entire lives, all we have to do is wait until EVERYONE gets older and then a 5.5” phone will be viable!

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #27 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Times change, but people's hands and pockets aren't getting larger.

But culture changes. You can look at an economy car in the US from the 80s, 90's, 00's and today and see that they have become much bigger over the years.

The iPhone had a huge display when it was initially released and that 3.5" display was one of the ways their competitors made fun of it. It was only when they saw an opportunity to beat Apple to LTE chip that they had to use much larger displays. It seems like an accident for the handset vane dots, but people have taken to them because these devices are more a part of our lives than ever before, replacing many activities we only did with a "PC".

Just as the 4" iPhone 5 is lighter in weight and smaller in volume than the 3.5" iPhone 4S it's possible Apple will be able to reduce much of the size and weight increases with advanced electronics. I doubt they will be able to make it smaller and lighter than the 5S but they may be able to get to a manageable pocket size.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #28 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Did anyone really think Apple was building a 5.5" phablet? No. What's allegedly delayed never existed, other than as one of many prototypes in the design lab.

If it does exist, it will exist for the vocal minority. It'll be a test: will they put their money where their mouths are? Or were they just looking for something, anything, to criticize Apple for?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #29 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

But culture changes. You can look at an economy car in the US from the 80s, 90's, 00's and today and see that they have become much bigger over the years.

You could say anything with a screen got bigger, but that race can't go on forever in phones. Just as economy cars can't keep growing in size without exiting that market segment and being replaced by a new, smaller economy model, which is often the same size as the old model that outgrew the segment.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #30 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

You could say anything with a screen got bigger, but that race can't go on forever in phones. Just as economy cars can't keep growing in size without exiting that market segment and being replaced by a new, smaller economy model, which is often the same size as the old model that outgrew the segment.

I don't think anyone is claiming phone display sizes will constantly grow in size. At some point the trend might be smaller, especially if we get optical implants.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #31 of 45

Apple is not like other manufacturers that change screen sizes almost yearly. Whatever size they choose will be here for at least 2 generations. The 4" was a gamble to see if they could compromise and allow one handed use but also make it slightly larger to appeal to the growing number of people that wanted a larger display. It sold well but it failed to satisfy the larger display crowd. Had they gone with 4.3" I think it would have lasted longer than just 2 years. One handed use is simply not as important as it used to be. People use their smartphones far differently they did years ago. Even the iPhone 5s gets a lot more two handed use thanks to this usage change over previous generations of iPhones. If you are doing anything that require more than a few seconds of usage like reading, playing games, watching videos, etc...there is a natural inclination to rest it in the palm of one hand and use the other hand to touch the screen. Not only is this far more comfortable, it is easier on the eyes and makes everything appear far larger. Take a look at the top paid and free apps. Most are landscape preferred type apps and if they offer both, work far better in landscape. Apple knows this and will adapt accordingly. I used to think they would likely keep a 4" around but now think the 4" model will be reserved solely for the cheaper models as a 6c and the premium line will all be larger displays. People can either get with the times and buy a 4.7" or larger or buy a 6c and get older technology or go with someone else that sells one. Are there any besides Apple selling a premium 4"? I was hoping for around 5" personally but 4.7" is big enough to keep me with Apple. Anything smaller than 4.7" and I would be very reluctant to stick with an iPhone again. 


Edited by gwmac - 4/1/14 at 9:52am
post #32 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric38 View Post

I love the idea of staggering the release dates, even it's not intentional. As long as they can get the bigger phone on the shelf by November, Apple will end up selling 70mil iPhones this Holiday qtr.



I can't wait to finally watch movies, read, prepare documents etc on my iPhone. It's been a long time coming...if this rumor is true. I might just end up getting both sizes.

 



What? Both sizes? Total waste.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #33 of 45
I'll take 4.7. More than big enough for my phone. I have my iPad mini for anything else I want to do with a larger screen.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #34 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

I'll take 4.7. More than big enough for my phone. I have my iPad mini for anything else I want to do with a larger screen.

At home even if I had a 5.5" iPhone I would still use my much larger iPad so on that I agree with you. But not that many people have a iPad with a data plan for a number of reasons, mostly due to cost. So most iPads are limited to wifi only which is very hit or miss when you are in public. I will continue to use my iPad as my primary iOS device at home for pretty much everything besides voice calls and texts, but when I am outside the home I would love to have around  5" iPhone. I can pretty much guarantee all the naysayers who claim to want a 3.5" or 4" will have a change of heart once they actually use a larger iPhone. They won't admit it here but the sales figures will speak for themselves. A larger iPhone will not only break it will crush previous iPhone sales numbers by a huge margin. 

post #35 of 45

...in addition to delay of the 5.5" iPhone, supply chain checks show that iPhone 19p will also be delayed due to waning supply of sarium krellide crystals needed to store energy for its phaser.   

post #36 of 45

I'd be much happier with a 4.7" iPhone than a 5.5" iPhone.

 

I seriously, legitimately, hope the iPhone 6 is one model, 4.7" or close to it, and the 5.5" rumor was never anything more than that.

 

5.5" is just WAAYY to big for a phone that goes in my pocket and is frequently used with one hand.

post #37 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric38 View Post

I seriously, legitimately, hope the iPhone 6 is one model, 4.7" or close to it, and the 5.5" rumor was never anything more than that.

If they'd do that they'd most likely lose tens of millions of customers.
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
Reply
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
Reply
post #38 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric38 View Post

Apple wouldn't be foolish enough to get rid of the 4" iPhone, especially after years and years of praising that screen size.
I agree, this 5.5 inch replacement seems extreme.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

1) What? No 4" iPhone anymore? Ah, April Fools Day. This is getting a little childish.

2) And that 5.5" screen could be for an iWatch from Samsung.
We will likely see Samsung go for even more sizes, the reality is they could release a "watch" that is 8 inch, takes 2 straps to hook to arm, but it's still childish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

The oldest phone will retain that size. But Apple has never been fixed on a particular screen size. Yes, the 4" model is easily used with one hand. But times change, and so do screen sizes.
Times don't change 33% in a year however, would apple go larger, likely, it would make since 4.2-4.7 inches, not the 5+, if they do it we will see likely see always a model with a 4ish screen size, the idea of a 6 large, 6 small, 6C, and 5C is insane to.
post #39 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric38 View Post

Yep. I think all the analysts are underestimating how well a bigger iPhone will sell. There are 100's of millions of past and present iPhone users that will decide to get the bigger iPhone over the next couple years. Sammy made a huge mistake by releasing an incremental upgrade with the S5. Decisions on a phone will be easily made this fall. I just worry about price. I could see Apple charging $600 on contract for their 5.7" with 128gb, or they could make the larger 5.7" the next iteration of the 5c, which makes a lot of sense to me, given their unwavering objection to 2-handed smartphone use. "Here you go, the phablet, but it's plastic." Kinda a way to keep folks buying their premium phone, but giving them the option for a phablet similar in look and specs to the 5c. Maybe the 5.7" won't come with TouchID.

I worry about a DECENT BATTERY! A little over a year and I can hardly make it till noon. Adding insult to injury I'll have to mail the damn thing, be without a phone for at least a week and pay, all in, about $100 for the "privilege." This, in a day and age where most people don't have a landline. This is unacceptable. With many phones you just get a spare battery on eBay for $5 and swap it yourself. Come on Apple! Real people don't care about the world's THINNEST phone.

post #40 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post
 

At home even if I had a 5.5" iPhone I would still use my much larger iPad so on that I agree with you. But not that many people have a iPad with a data plan for a number of reasons, mostly due to cost. So most iPads are limited to wifi only which is very hit or miss when you are in public. I will continue to use my iPad as my primary iOS device at home for pretty much everything besides voice calls and texts, but when I am outside the home I would love to have around  5" iPhone. I can pretty much guarantee all the naysayers who claim to want a 3.5" or 4" will have a change of heart once they actually use a larger iPhone. They won't admit it here but the sales figures will speak for themselves. A larger iPhone will not only break it will crush previous iPhone sales numbers by a huge margin. 

 

4.7 inches is  still a significant increase.  Hold up a ruler to your iPhone 5 (if you have one) and you'll see what I mean.  It makes the phone considerably larger.  5.5" looks ridiculous when doing that same test.   I don't disagree that sales will improve with larger models.  I'm just saying 4.7 would be all I'd want.   As for the iPad, yeah...I'm wifi only.  It doesn't bother me though, because there is wifi anywhere I'd be where I'd really want to use internet functions (mostly).   

I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Reuters: Production of 'iPhone 6' screens to begin in May, 5.5" model delayed
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Reuters: Production of 'iPhone 6' screens to begin in May, 5.5" model delayed