or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Reuters: Production of 'iPhone 6' screens to begin in May, 5.5" model delayed

Reuters: Production of 'iPhone 6' screens to begin in May, 5.5" model delayed - Page 2

post #41 of 45

yep, I do want a more significant battery in the future iPhone but the replaceability hasn't really been an issue for me. I replaced the battery in both my 3GS and my now rather old 4S (as well as the screen when I cracked it). It really wasn't all that hard, and I suspect not having a flimsy battery door on the back allows for a more sturdy construction. Sure it would be convenient if it was more of traditional design but it's not soldered in and I'm not afraid to pick up a screw driver so it doesn't really bother me. The battery being rather small from the get go though is a problem in my eyes. Hopefully with bigger phones we'll also see more room for bigger batteries. My guess is that phones can get only so thin before they get impractical and the 5S is already pretty darn thin. 

post #42 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Apple is not like other manufacturers that change screen sizes almost yearly. Whatever size they choose will be here for at least 2 generations. The 4" was a gamble to see if they could compromise and allow one handed use but also make it slightly larger to appeal to the growing number of people that wanted a larger display. It sold well but it failed to satisfy the larger display crowd. Had they gone with 4.3" I think it would have lasted longer than just 2 years. One handed use is simply not as important as it used to be. People use their smartphones far differently they did years ago. Even the iPhone 5s gets a lot more two handed use thanks to this usage change over previous generations of iPhones. If you are doing anything that require more than a few seconds of usage like reading, playing games, watching videos, etc...there is a natural inclination to rest it in the palm of one hand and use the other hand to touch the screen. Not only is this far more comfortable, it is easier on the eyes and makes everything appear far larger. Take a look at the top paid and free apps. Most are landscape preferred type apps and if they offer both, work far better in landscape. Apple knows this and will adapt accordingly. I used to think they would likely keep a 4" around but now think the 4" model will be reserved solely for the cheaper models as a 6c and the premium line will all be larger displays. People can either get with the times and buy a 4.7" or larger or buy a 6c and get older technology or go with someone else that sells one. Are there any besides Apple selling a premium 4"? I was hoping for around 5" personally but 4.7" is big enough to keep me with Apple. Anything smaller than 4.7" and I would be very reluctant to stick with an iPhone again. 

I disagree. I much prefer apps in portrait mode, both on the iPhone and iPad, because it's much more comfortable to hold than in landscape. I normally use one hand for my iPhone 5.
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
post #43 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

I agree, this 5.5 inch replacement seems extreme.
We will likely see Samsung go for even more sizes, the reality is they could release a "watch" that is 8 inch, takes 2 straps to hook to arm, but it's still childish.
Times don't change 33% in a year however, would apple go larger, likely, it would make since 4.2-4.7 inches, not the 5+, if they do it we will see likely see always a model with a 4ish screen size, the idea of a 6 large, 6 small, 6C, and 5C is insane to.

What you're saying is erroneous. You are making assumptions that are of your own imagination. But Apple themselves has had a document revealed in the new trial between themselves and Samsung that says that they don't have product that people want, referring to both larger phones, and less expensive models.

I can easily see a 4.7" phone. In fact, this year, we're up for our two year contract, and we'll be getting new phones. I know that we all would prefer that 4.7" phone.

As far as a 5.5", or larger, models go, I don't need that. My wife wouldn't want something that big, though I havents as yet asked my daughter, who recently received a degree in commercial photography, and carries her iPhone, iPad and 15" Macbook Pro Retina everywhere she goes, along with a camera, or two.

I'm still reading about the one hand thing, and I do understand Apple's insistance upon easy one hand use. But, like so many other things over the years that Apple has insisted on, thet could change too. If they can, finally, come out with a phone with a small side bezel, that would amerialorate the size increase to a minor one for the 4.7" model, rendering people's objections null and void. Even a 5.5" model would be smaller than otherwise.

I just think that it's always foolish to insist that Apple will never do this or that, or will do this or that. They have a tendency to do this or that, and a tendency to not do this or that, but it's not written in stone.

To use a number like 33%, and say that Apple won't change the size by that amount in one year is strange?you have no basis for saying that other than your own feelings about it. What do you expect Apple to do, move the phone up in .25" increments every two years? Now, THAT would be odd, and self defeating. If they're going to do it, they need to make a major move, and do it quickly. That's the only way they can avoid the large amount of fragmentation that would result by making baby steps. It would also allow them to make a major resolution change, and then stick with it. Otherwise, they can't do that either.

With high end phone sales significantly slowing down for everyone, there is little growth to be seen there any more. About 30% of the sales are now of phones larger than 4". This would give Apple product in that area where they don't compete. Remember the document that recently came out in the new trial between themselves and Samsung, where Apple said that they don't have product people want in large phones and less expensive models. This would address one area.

It's possible that 4" models could be relegated to less expensive lines. The 5C could be the top model in a new, less expensive, series, possibly for 2015.

There are really no benefits to doing what you say, and lots of benefits to doing what we're reading about, it what I'm saying.
post #44 of 45
Oops!
post #45 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

What you're saying is erroneous. You are making assumptions that are of your own imagination. But Apple themselves has had a document revealed in the new trial between themselves and Samsung that says that they don't have product that people want, referring to both larger phones, and less expensive models.

I can easily see a 4.7" phone. In fact, this year, we're up for our two year contract, and we'll be getting new phones. I know that we all would prefer that 4.7" phone.

As far as a 5.5", or larger, models go, I don't need that. My wife wouldn't want something that big, though I havents as yet asked my daughter, who recently received a degree in commercial photography, and carries her iPhone, iPad and 15" Macbook Pro Retina everywhere she goes, along with a camera, or two.

I'm still reading about the one hand thing, and I do understand Apple's insistance upon easy one hand use. But, like so many other things over the years that Apple has insisted on, thet could change too. If they can, finally, come out with a phone with a small side bezel, that would amerialorate the size increase to a minor one for the 4.7" model, rendering people's objections null and void. Even a 5.5" model would be smaller than otherwise.

I just think that it's always foolish to insist that Apple will never do this or that, or will do this or that. They have a tendency to do this or that, and a tendency to not do this or that, but it's not written in stone.

To use a number like 33%, and say that Apple won't change the size by that amount in one year is strange?you have no basis for saying that other than your own feelings about it. What do you expect Apple to do, move the phone up in .25" increments every two years? Now, THAT would be odd, and self defeating. If they're going to do it, they need to make a major move, and do it quickly. That's the only way they can avoid the large amount of fragmentation that would result by making baby steps. It would also allow them to make a major resolution change, and then stick with it. Otherwise, they can't do that either.

There are really no benefits to doing what you say, and lots of benefits to doing what we're reading about, it what I'm saying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

4.7 inches is  still a significant increase.  Hold up a ruler to your iPhone 5 (if you have one) and you'll see what I mean.  It makes the phone considerably larger.  5.5" looks ridiculous when doing that same test.   I don't disagree that sales will improve with larger models.  I'm just saying 4.7 would be all I'd want.   As for the iPad, yeah...I'm wifi only.  It doesn't bother me though, because there is wifi anywhere I'd be where I'd really want to use internet functions (mostly).   

I've mentioned that my family all have iPhones (and iPads, and Macs).

Well, if Apple can use the mythical bezel-less screen we've been reading about for years (one small manufacturer has had a screen like that, but I don't know if they still do), then the 4.7" phone doesn't have to be that much larger. By necessity, a 5.5" model does. But my friends who do have these phablets seem to like them, even though they're too big for my hands. I know a number of people who haven't bought an iPhone, or worse, who have moved to Android specifically because of the availability of larger models. Almost all of these people have said that they would get an iPhone if it were in the larger size they prefer.

Sometimes we need to stop talking about what WE want, and think about other people's needs instead.

So you have an iPad without cellular and GPS. That's fine for you, but all of my iPads have had those features, and I would never do without them. Which one of us is right? According to your thinking, only you are, and that's clearly incorrect.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Reuters: Production of 'iPhone 6' screens to begin in May, 5.5" model delayed
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Reuters: Production of 'iPhone 6' screens to begin in May, 5.5" model delayed