or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Visionaries of the tech world who foresaw Apple's future
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Visionaries of the tech world who foresaw Apple's future - Page 3

post #81 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emes View Post
 


Haha. It's all very fun to laugh at Gates, but remember: the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation is the largest transparently operated charitable foundation in the world.

 

You didn't see Steve Jobs doing that kind of thing.

 

 

No, because he had more class than to publicise his charitable efforts.

 

http://www.apple.com/au/product-red/

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #82 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

No, because he had more class than to publicise his charitable efforts.

http://www.apple.com/au/product-red/

Because you assume it's self-serving, whereas it could be to make more people aware, and in turn increase donations towards the charity. I'm not claiming it's either or, but it has helped a great many people.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #83 of 105
Well, I like Dvorak because his curmudgeon style is a good offset to all the "this will be great!" commercial hype surrounding each and every new shiny thing to come to market.

However when he started being a Mac fan on "This Week In Tech" -- a podcast from some of the old ScreenSavers crew captained by Leo LaPorte; I started to worry about Apple.

Anyway -- I think that most of these naysayers were not being insightful as much as they were waving a baton and pretending to lead the parade. They were all "right place, right time" heroes of their day and they felt invulnerable.

So, cut Dvorak some slack -- we need our crusty eccentrics. He hits 50% out of the park, and 50% in the ditch. That's 90% better than most of the tech prostitutes in the media.
post #84 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post
 

 

No, because he had more class than to publicise his charitable efforts.

 

http://www.apple.com/au/product-red/


Pfft. One organization is hardly comparable to Gate's exploits, especially one that has not been nearly as successful as the B&MGF.

post #85 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post
 

 

So how does the surface compare to the 64bit desktop class architecture Apple's A7 ARM based CPU brings to the game?


With an equally 64bit Intel core i5?

 

Unless you meant the Surface RT, in which case I did not say it was as good as the iPad. Just that in terms of functionality as mobile OS tablets they are essentially the same.

post #86 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emes View Post


Haha. It's all very fun to laugh at Gates, but ...bla, bla, bla...

If you want to grace yourself with reading about the rest of his incredibly generous and life-saving endeavors, go here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_%26_Melinda_Gates_Foundation

You didn't see Steve Jobs doing that kind of thing.

Sooo, you, like most fools, think public generosity is more important than generosity done in secret?? You're right, though, "You didn't see Steve Jobs doing that kind of thing," because he didn't do it for the attention. Finally, it was Bill's friend, out of Omaha that prodded the prick to be a donor instead of a dick.
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #87 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fake_William_Shatner View Post

So, cut Dvorak some slack -- we need our crusty eccentrics. He hits 50% out of the park, and 50% in the ditch. That's 90% better than most of the tech prostitutes in the media.

He hit damn near all of them into the ditch... of the few he didn't strike out against. Anyway, Mark Stephens (aka Robert X. Cringely) did a more accurate job of prognosticating while being a curmudgeon.
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #88 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post


Sooo, you, like most fools, think public generosity is more important than generosity done in secret??

That's not what I said. You're completely misinterpreting my post. My point is that Bill is just more generous with his money than Steve was. And even if what you say is true and he had to be forced into philanthropy, the end justifies the means, as he has helped millions of people around the world.

post #89 of 105
Blissful writing.

“Meanwhile, Samsung is focusing on copying Apple's paleo-retail strategy of partnering with Best Buy to erect themed tables in genius-free settings.”

Genius.
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #90 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by formosa View Post

My favorite quote after the iPhone was announced was made by Palm CEO Ed Colligan:

"We've learned and struggled for a few years here figuring out how to make a decent phone,'' he said. "PC guys are not going to just figure this out. They're not going to just walk in.''

In a sense, Mr. Colligan was right. Apple didn't just walk in; they upended the tables.
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #91 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

I'm surprised Balmer wasn't included...




...then again he doesn't really need a sarcastic take on his reality.



Some people are beyond sarcasm.
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #92 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

He deserves everything his pointy little head worked so hard to earn. As a wise man one observed, "It's not what you put in your mouth that corrupts you, it's what comes out of your mouth..."

Indeed; from the heart of man spews forth evil.
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #93 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

He deserves everything his pointy little head worked so hard to earn. As a wise man one observed, "It's not what you put in your mouth that corrupts you, it's what comes out of your mouth..."

What does the abolishment of dietary laws have to do with the article? lol.gif
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #94 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


What does the abolishment of dietary laws have to do with the article? lol.gif

 

Most people use their mouths to also speak from... if you use a different orifice then that's your business,  ;)

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #95 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emes View Post
 

That's not what I said. You're completely misinterpreting my post. My point is that Bill is just more generous with his money than Steve was. And even if what you say is true and he had to be forced into philanthropy, the end justifies the means, as he has helped millions of people around the world.

Hmmm, let me quote you word for word, "You didn't see Steve Jobs doing that kind of thing."

 

And that's exactly what I took you to task for. Did you not say that??? Let me help you out here...

 

"You didn't SEE Steve Jobs doing that kind of thing."

 

No, I didn't SEE Steve Jobs doing that because while he did do that, he didn't do it publicly. Of the five ways of giving, in the Hebrew language, doing so publicly is the lowest of all.

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #96 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emes View Post
 

Just that in terms of functionality as mobile OS tablets they are essentially the same.

 

Apart from the 64bit bit that is.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #97 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post
 

Hmmm, let me quote you word for word, "You didn't see Steve Jobs doing that kind of thing."

 

And that's exactly what I took you to task for. Did you not say that??? Let me help you out here...

 

"You didn't SEE Steve Jobs doing that kind of thing."

 

No, I didn't SEE Steve Jobs doing that because while he did do that, he didn't do it publicly. Of the five ways of giving, in the Hebrew language, doing so publicly is the lowest of all.


Oh dear.

 

My point is that, no matter how he did it or for whatever reason, Bill Gates has helped millions of people, and so laughing at him is an incredible insult as well as a sign of vast immaturity and ignorance.

 

I don't know why you brought up the Hebrew language as a form of proof, but the reason Gates made his philanthropy public was to get others including Zuckerberg and Buffet to join in and help, which is actually even more helpful.

post #98 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post
 

 

Apart from the 64bit bit that is.


Actually, the benchmark scores between the Surface 2 and iPad Air weren't that far off. The Surface 2 actually beat the iPad in Sunspider.

post #99 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emes View Post


Actually, the benchmark scores between the Surface 2 and iPad Air weren't that far off. The Surface 2 actually beat the iPad in Sunspider.

How does it go at real time audio processing, you know, doing real work?
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #100 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post
 

I'm surprised Balmer wasn't included...

Ballmer would have qualified except he never accomplished anything productive.

post #101 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Ballmer would have qualified except he never accomplished anything productive.


Depends on the criteria used ... Sweat ?

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.

Frank Zappa

Reply

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.

Frank Zappa

Reply
post #102 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydrogen View Post

Great ! Where do these people hide ? Do they still dare making other similar predictions ?

Mostly not. 

 

Of late they have been leaving the predictions to -- analysts.

post #103 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emes View Post
 

... My point is that Bill is just more generous with his money than Steve was. ... as he has helped millions of people around the world.

Gates indeed has done that, and that's good.

 

Every time people use this to defend Microsoft's behavior, I just remind that that Bill is giving away YOUR money.

post #104 of 105

Dvorak has been a veritable Schrödinger's cat throughout his career, cooped up in a box isolated from any outside influence of reality. His possible exposure to some sort of toxic experiment has created a quantum paradox where Dvorak is perpetually both writing and wronging at the same time, an uncertainty that must be seen to be believed.
 

I just saw this article and the above bit just blew my mind. Such great writing. Bravo!

post #105 of 105

That is amazing about this great composer a cat!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Visionaries of the tech world who foresaw Apple's future