or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Amazon takes on Apple TV with new $99 fireTV streaming & gaming set-top box
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Amazon takes on Apple TV with new $99 fireTV streaming & gaming set-top box - Page 4

post #121 of 190

Apple have never been 1st at releasing anything, that's because other companies here the plans and rush out their own interpretation.

However, what Apple eventually releases is always the best.

 

If you can't wait for Apple to release the new ATV then don't. Go and buy a stop gap POS and pass it on to a friend when Apple release and you update.

 

Amazon heard that Apple were going to drop the ball so decided to beat them to it.

post #122 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

Apple have never been 1st at releasing anything, that's because other companies here the plans and rush out their own interpretation.
However, what Apple eventually releases is always the best.

If you can't wait for Apple to release the new ATV then don't. Go and buy a stop gap POS and pass it on to a friend when Apple release and you update.

Amazon heard that Apple were going to drop the ball so decided to beat them to it.

This can't be stated enough. How long did portable music players exist before Apple released one? How long did cellphones exist before Apple released one? How long did tablets exist before Apple released one? yet in each case Apple's entry was seen as entering a saturated market without enough features, and yet they are quickly became the model by which all other devices were judged and all other vendors quickly had to play catch up to mirror this device that wasn't anything more than a sic-fi dream before it came out, stupid and pointless the day it came out, and then get labeled as "Duh! It's so obvious!" when everyone starts to mirror their innovations.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #123 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post
 

1) Why?

 

2) How will you integrate your photos/music/videos with Amazon's offering?

Airplay is a PITA to use from my iMac to ATV and has lots of issues. I have a late 2103 build iMac and an even more recent ATV and Airport extreme. The imac is hardwired to the ATV via the Airport Extreme.

 

* iMac mouse becomes unresponsive when I enable Airplay

* audio fails to play over airplay, I have to restart coreaud daemon

* Video is choppy on tv. I can compare with the same video on the iMac screen which isn't choppy.

 

When it works it works OK, when it doesn't (about 50% of the time) it's a bitch. 

post #124 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post
 

So I checked this out at Amazon.com and they have some nice features but they are definitely missing a few things:

  •  
  • No built-in power supply (wallwart power adapter)
  •  

 

I fail to understand why people think this is a big deal for a device that you set and forget. My Macbook pro on the other hand has an external PS which is a PITA. It would make more sense for a portable device to have a built in PS than a device that never moves.

post #125 of 190

So the CEO of Roku complained that apple was losing money on ATV, do you all think that Amazon is even breaking even on this one. Do you think Amazon will ever tell anyone how many they sell. How often do people see the Kindle Fire in the wild, I actually see more kindle reader than I have ever seen Fires or FiresHD

post #126 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Your move, Apple.

How many times in the past two years has Cook said, "We've got amazing new products in the pipeline..."?

Definitely a bunch of market-appeasing, gasbag bromides at this point. They sound no different than any other vaporware-producing has-been.

 

There have been some amazing new products in the past two years.  As for vaporware, the only things I can remember Apple ever pre-announcing were the original iPhone and the new Mac Pro.  Seem pretty real to me.

post #127 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

1) Why?

2) How will you integrate your photos/music/videos with Amazon's offering?

We were discussing porn and Roku, but Amazon does have cloud services of its own.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #128 of 190
Wow there's a lot of comments. I'm really excited about the gaming aspect. Think about it, for $150 you can have a nice gaming machine with lots of games and more on the way - many for a dollar or less! That's less than a video game rental. And the specs for gaming are not bad. I could also buy this for my uncle cause he loves to game. I love apple, but I don't think they'd mind me getting a product from a few other companies. 1smile.gif man, I love all the options coming out these days.
post #129 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfofslides View Post

doesn't play usb deal killer

You want the TorrentBox. Plays pirated content straight from the torrents. Skip the USB dongle. /s

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #130 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

There's no reason to call anyone an asshat, you asshat (just kidding lol).

I would hardly call Apple a failure at anything.  They're an extremely successful company with record sales across the board.

The problem is that Android tablet sales are exploding.

http://www.tech-thoughts.net/2013/05/tablet-market-share-trends-android-ipad-windows.html#.UzxkUI6sRtE

Apple dominated this category as recently as 2010.  Now they're the smaller player.

Apple dominated the smart phone market, now outside of the US they are by far a niche player.

So am I a nervous nellie (lol!) as a shareholder to be concerned about an Amazon box that capitalizes on Amazon's streaming services while providing voice input and gaming capabilities?

No, I don't think I'm a nervous Nellie.  The Amazon box is unproven, but the history of Android's continued explosive growth compared to Apple's slow steady growth, gives some reasons for a shareholder to be concerned!

I hope Apple blows it out of the water in 2014.  Woah, Nellie!

If you were a shareholder you'd be more concerned about profits not market share. . Apple has the lion's share.
post #131 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


Several, but Apple also released amazing refreshed products during that time.

 

Added 'refreshed' to your post. You obviously forgot. ;) 

post #132 of 190

Can we get a BBC iPlayer app for Apple TV now, please?

post #133 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post


He also they'll be released in late 2013 and throughout 2014. It's only April.

To be fair, they have updated the AC adapters and the internals on their keyboards and AirPort Express's. That's definitely 'amazing'. 

post #134 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick LeSwunder View Post


You'd know about gasbagging with the same tired comment about Cook. You technobabies are worse than my 2 year old with your "gimme now" mentality.

 

You're right: We've all been saying "gimme now"...for two years. 

post #135 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by NormM View Post
 

 

There have been some amazing new products in the past two years.  As for vaporware, the only things I can remember Apple ever pre-announcing were the original iPhone and the new Mac Pro.  Seem pretty real to me.

 

Please list "amazing new products." Amazing refreshes of existing products don't really count, what with all the NEW products competitors are releasing day in, day out. 

 

Disclaimer: I own 3 shares of APPL, so my desire to see new products at the expense of long-term vision overwhelms my sensibilities. 

post #136 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post


Does AI need to have an IQ test for posters before they're allowed to contribute content to the forums?

Back off! Insults are inappropriate. This is obviously someone whose English is a second language.
post #137 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Please list "amazing new products." Amazing refreshes of existing products don't really count, what with all the NEW products competitors are releasing day in, day out. 

Disclaimer: I own 3 shares of APPL, so my desire to see new products at the expense of long-term vision overwhelms my sensibilities. 

I accept they are refreshed models (2012 MBP to 2013 MBP) or general model categories (10" iPad as in iPad 4 to iPad Air) but that's still a new product, each with innovations and advancements that oft make it worthwhile to upgrade. I am sporting an iPhone 5S, Retina iPad mini, and Late-2013 15" MBP all within a short timeframe last year because they are advancement I felt were worth spending the money on.

If you had asked me if I thought I'd likely upgrade from my iPhone 5 before the 5S was announced I think I would been uncertain. I ended up not getting the iPhone 4S. My iPad was an iPad 3 and my Mac was a 2010 13" MBP. This shows I certainly don't need to buy the latest Apple product just because it's new.

If you own see new as being a brand new model category that Apple has never before entered then you're going to be disappointed a lot. They've only ever had 4 of them that were wildly successful. The Mac in 1984, the iPod in 2001, the iPhone in 2007, and iPad in 2010. I think it's irrational to expect that Apple release brand new product categories annually.

Other vendors simply rebrand a product type but that's because it's a failure. Even Apple has done it with .Mac to MobileMe to iCloud. This is what you do when something has become tainted. You don't do this when something is highly successful without having a very, very, very good reason. I guess Apple could have called the iPad mini the iPhablet and you would have gotten a new product category in 2012 but that wouldn't have been a smart move for numerous reasons.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #138 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


This can't be stated enough. How long did portable music players exist before Apple released one?

This argument doesn't work here, since ATV is Apple's entry into the marketplace, and has been around for years, essentially unchanged, as a "hobby", while they have let others slowly eat away their marketshare. Unlike the iPod, iPhone and iPad, the ATV should operate invisibly. Currently it doesn't, and now Amazon has jumped well ahead of where Apple should have been with their product at this point. Perhaps Apple will do something revolutionary, but the reality is, these devices hold no tangible emotional attachment the way the previous iDevices do, and this will ultimately be about leverging infrastructure. Amazon is a good match for iTunes in the marketplace, and hardware is just a matter of fact. Both will have identical features because they have to. Apple's challenge now is putting together a better entertainment experience which has nothing to do with a piece of hardware.

post #139 of 190
Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post
while they have let others slowly eat away their marketshare.

 

Could have sworn it was still growing.

Quote:
…the ATV should operate invisibly. Currently it doesn’t…

 

1. What does this mean?
2. How is it not the case?

 
…these devices hold no tangible emotional attachment…

 

They represent the dream of bankrupting cable and satellite companies by providing only the channels you want at only the price you want to pay. That’s an emotional attachment if I’ve ever heard one.

 
Apple's challenge now is putting together a better entertainment experience which has nothing to do with a piece of hardware.  

 

YES! Exactly.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #140 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

This argument doesn't work here, since ATV is Apple's entry into the marketplace, and has been around for years, essentially unchanged, as a "hobby", while they have let others slowly eat away their marketshare. Unlike the iPod, iPhone and iPad, the ATV should operate invisibly. Currently it doesn't, and now Amazon has jumped well ahead of where Apple should have been with their product at this point. Perhaps Apple will do something revolutionary, but the reality is, these devices hold no tangible emotional attachment the way the previous iDevices do, and this will ultimately be about leverging infrastructure. Amazon is a good match for iTunes in the marketplace, and hardware is just a matter of fact. Both will have identical features because they have to. Apple's challenge now is putting together a better entertainment experience which has nothing to do with a piece of hardware.

So you're saying the Apple TV is the Newton and the Fire TV is an Archos tablet. I'll accept that. Now Apple has a cool decade before they need to figure out how to actually make the living room actually work… which FireTV doesn't. It's just a couple more bells and whistles that most likely won't care about, especially if it will cost them another $40 on top of the $99 FireTV box to get some mobile gaming options in their living room. I don't think Sony, MS and Nintendo have anything to worry about from Fire TV either.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #141 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Could have sworn it was still growing.

The Six Stages of Apple Device Denial:
  1. "Apple will never be able to make a dent because the market is already saturated with better devices."
  2. "Apple fanatics are buying all the Apple's devices."
  3. "Apple is only good at marketing which is why idiots who don't understand technology are buying these inferior devices."
  4. "Apple is only successful because everyone else buys their devices."
  5. "Apple has lost its way because they aren't releasing new products like they did with (previous) devices."
  6. "Apple had all the marketshare when they created this device but now they are losing it to others with better devices."


(I'll refine and name the stages later)

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #142 of 190
Didn't Roku try to say Apple was losing money on ATV (not that I believe that)? If that were true, well, Amazon would be losing bigtime on this device.

Another day another loss leader copycat device from Amazon. When is Amazon ever going to make money?

cut the tech garbage and check me out at

www.appletechspot.com

Reply

cut the tech garbage and check me out at

www.appletechspot.com

Reply
post #143 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post
You're right: We've all been saying "gimme now"...for two years. 

speak for yourself please.   I would bet that If you got the exact product you dreamed of, you would be saying "gimme now" a few weeks later for something new that you think you want.

 

"its not about having what you want, its about wanting what you got".  

"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
post #144 of 190
Apple could easily leapfrog over these also-rans by releasing the next ATV this Summer, while still adding gaming and other features.
These gizmos tKe some time to design and build.

More media deals, and closing on whatever the Comcast and TWC deal is, will put Apple way out front.

To date, IMO the Roku and Fire are just copy-cats anyways.

Oh... And didn't Apple add Bluetooth keyboard feature to the ATV OS?.
post #145 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Could have sworn it was still growing.

The Six Stages of Apple Device Denial:
  1. "Apple will never be able to make a dent because the market is already saturated with better devices."
  2. "Apple fanatics are buying all the Apple's devices."
  3. "Apple is only good at marketing which is why idiots who don't understand technology are buying these inferior devices."
  4. "Apple is only successful because everyone else buys their devices."
  5. "Apple has lost its way because they aren't releasing new products like they did with (previous) devices."
  6. "Apple had all the marketshare when they created this device but now they are losing it to others with better devices."


(I'll refine and name the stages later)

Apple is doomed because it is losing market share to lower margin products made by "other". 

"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
post #146 of 190

I'm probably dreaming here, but how amazing would it be if the AppleTv were a full-on serious game console? Not just something to play casual iphone games, but straight-up xbox/playstation level stuff.

 

Or maybe I'm not dreaming. They didn't buy PrimesSense for nothing. 

post #147 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

The Six Stages of Apple Device Denial:
  1. "Apple will never be able to make a dent because the market is already saturated with better devices."
  2. "Apple fanatics are buying all the Apple's devices."
  3. "Apple is only good at marketing which is why idiots who don't understand technology are buying these inferior devices."
  4. "Apple is only successful because everyone else buys their devices."
  5. "Apple has lost its way because they aren't releasing new products like they did with (previous) devices."
  6. "Apple had all the marketshare when they created this device but now they are losing it to others with better devices."


(I'll refine and name the stages later)

Don't forget "Apple litigates and doesn't innovate"
post #148 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Could have sworn it was still growing.

The Six Stages of Apple Device Denial:
  1. "Apple will never be able to make a dent because the market is already saturated with better devices."
  2. "Apple fanatics are buying all the Apple's devices."
  3. "Apple is only good at marketing which is why idiots who don't understand technology are buying these inferior devices."
  4. "Apple is only successful because everyone else buys their devices."
  5. "Apple has lost its way because they aren't releasing new products like they did with (previous) devices."
  6. "Apple had all the marketshare when they created this device but now they are losing it to others with better devices."


(I'll refine and name the stages later)

No SD card slot, no physical keyboard, no USB Port, no multitasking = no sale.

Apple thinks their customers are stupid AND dumb!  (saw this one on another forum)

NetBooks are red hot and Apple is missing the boat due to their greed and stupidity.

___ is going to be an iPod Killer

___ is going to be an iPhone Killer

Intel's Ultrabook design is going to be an MacBook Air Killer

Amazon's Fire is going to be an iPad Killer

Google $35 Chromecast is going to be an AppleTV killer. 

Amazon's FireTV is a game changer

Apple incremental product updates don't count.

 


Edited by snova - 4/2/14 at 5:22pm
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
post #149 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Added 'refreshed' to your post. You obviously forgot. 1wink.gif 

While the point of this thread is people waiting for a refreshed product.
post #150 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

?

I'm disappointed Apple didn't release something similar last year.  At the very latest, last month.  I'm also not concerned Apple will "chase" a competitor- I'm concerned Apple didn't beat them to the punch like they normally do.  Had Apple released a similar device last month, everyone would laugh at this box and it would be DOA.  Will it still be DOA- possibly, but it's hard to argue that its not the best box out there right now.  Outside of Airplay and iTunes access- it crushes the ATV in a multitude of ways.

Again, tell me why Apple couldn't have released an Apple TV with:
A7- which they already have
Voice Search- which they already have
Gaming- which they already have controllers for
App Store- which they could easily already have

That isn't "spec chasing"- sorry.

I'm holding out that Apple has some proprietary or specific reason why they were holding out. If its what I mentioned above- I'll be extremely happy, but I'll also say- what took so long?

I understand your point but they couldn't even make enough A7s for the iPhone which is their money maker. Now that they seem to have caught up, I wouldn't think the A7 out of the realm of possibility in a refresh/redesign.
post #151 of 190

I'm not sure but I think the newest Broadcom H265 4K chips are still sampling. So perhaps Apple is the sampler and will be the first to market with them.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #152 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

You're right: We've all been saying "gimme now"...for two years. 

I haven't. Anyone who would wait 2 years for an item you can get for 85 refurb for the current model (like I did a year and a half ago) is pathetic and deserves to be mocked.
post #153 of 190
Apple can beat this just by creating a more robust ATV that runs the iOS well enough that the entire App store becomes its playground. I'd certainly pay a chunk of change for that.

I like that Amazon's unit plays games. They seem to be approaching tablets and TVs with aplomb. The unit looks nice and has some nifty features. Great price. Optional game controllers show their commitment. Sweet.

It will definitely nudge Apple. I think Amazon is going to sell a ton of these things. Bye, Roku.
post #154 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


You'd be surprised to know how many CRT TVs are still out there. Somebody bought all those digital converter boxes the government was giving out vouchers for.

 

Do those CRT TVs actually have HDMI input?

post #155 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

Do those CRT TVs actually have HDMI input?

The highest quality inputs were component or S-Video. The lower priced Rokus have RCA and a HDMI outputs.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #156 of 190
I think Amazon has reached a point where Apple needs to think about changing its game plan. It was all fine to sit on a high horse, charge the moon for your products when the competition sucked. But Amazon has finally reached a point where they can offer a legitimate competition to Apple on multiple fronts - hardware, cloud services, App Store, ecosystem, etc. At this point, one would probably say Amazon is at a level where for many people it makes no sense to go with Apple.

I would say Amazon is a much bigger threat to Apple than Google or Samsung is. I think a day will soon come when Amazon will offer Apple style quality and service, at Google style prices. At that point, Apple needs to be ready to change their plans quickly.
post #157 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by macarena View Post

I think Amazon has reached a point where Apple needs to think about changing its game plan. 

Apple is one of the most profitable companies on earth. In contrast, Amazon is one of least profitable companies out there for it size. You think Apple needs to be more like Amazon?   I'm sorry, but how on earth did you reach this conclusion? Amazon's game plan is clear. Race to the bottom until you kill your competitor.  No thanks. Amazon can go fight it out with the likes of Google and other White Box vendors that make next to nothing per unit shipped.  The whole reason for Apple success is very much opposite of the way Amazon does things.


Edited by snova - 4/2/14 at 9:47pm
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
post #158 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by macarena View Post

I think Amazon has reached a point where Apple needs to think about changing its game plan. It was all fine to sit on a high horse, charge the moon for your products when the competition sucked. But Amazon has finally reached a point where they can offer a legitimate competition to Apple on multiple fronts - hardware, cloud services, App Store, ecosystem, etc. At this point, one would probably say Amazon is at a level where for many people it makes no sense to go with Apple.

I would say Amazon is a much bigger threat to Apple than Google or Samsung is. I think a day will soon come when Amazon will offer Apple style quality and service, at Google style prices. At that point, Apple needs to be ready to change their plans quickly.

Hahahaha. By then, Amazon investors will see past Bezo's con game and actually want the company to make money.

Besides Apple TV is $99.
post #159 of 190

I'm not interested in the games, and I already have a Chromecast and a Roku. For me, this doesn't add anything.

post #160 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Ya' know ...

There is this shadow app out there named Popcorn-Time:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Popcorn_Time


If this could somehow be transformed into a legitimate streaming service through the likes of AppleTV it would be amazing.

I haven't watched a full movie, but the UI is great and the video looks fantastic on a 27" iMac. The latest movie releases are available through Popcorn-Time before DVD or RedBox, etc.

I feel there is something here that could force the hand of content-providers to embrace a solution similar to the music industry (iTunes) or see their sales nosedive.

Sounds great... except that when I went to check it out just now, this:

http://techcrunch.com/2014/04/02/popcorn-time-has-gone-dark-again/?ncid=rss

Right at about the time you posted? Your followers blew it up after your exposé... 1smoking.gif
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Amazon takes on Apple TV with new $99 fireTV streaming & gaming set-top box