or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's WWDC 2014 kicks off June 2, tickets to be issued by random selection April 7

Apple's WWDC 2014 kicks off June 2, tickets to be issued by random selection April 7 - Page 2

post #41 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

But if they're announcing an SDK/AppStore wouldn't they want to do that at WWDC? If all they announce are updates to iOS and OSX that will be a pretty boring conference.

This isn't MacWorld...this is a developer conference. The general public (including investors) can't and shouldn't expect something amazing at a developers conference beyond demo'ing the next revision of iOS and/or OS X. Yes, this happens but if it doesn't we can't forget that this is simply a developers conference. Where developers can bring their code in, have it looked it, get questions answered about current code, and how to apply any new SDKs for iOS and OS X. This is what WWDC is all about, not announcing new products. This is why they got away from doing MacWorlds. 

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

post #42 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

It's people like you who make the world worse. This is completely untrue and you know. I'm excited to see what Apple is going to come out with and can't wait to get the larger screen iPhone. 

Talk about living inside a bubble.  How simple-minded.  Really?  Talking bad about Google is who makes the world worse.  How about Genocide or sex slavery?  Aren't those just slightly worse?

You think there's going to be an iPhone announcement... how cute.  You don't know anything about WWDC or Apple, so I forgive you.

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini Retina, iPhone 6, iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #43 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Well at least confirmation that we will indeed see the next version of OS X as well. Syrah, or whatever it was called internally.

Interesting thought. Makes me wonder which surfing beach they will choose next for a product name. I'm thinking something either from Hawaii or Australia.
post #44 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Hmmm, if you're lucky enough to get selected could you then sell your ticket for a HUGE profit? Could Apple stop you doing that?

Sure they could, easily. Registration would be in your name and non-transferrable, and photo ID would be required to get your event badge, making scalping worthless.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #45 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

This is Apple's answer to Amazon? No wonder they are doomed!
/s

I wonder what new tech will they announce.

Nothing. Apple answers to no one.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #46 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

There is none.

Moscone Center is the largest convention space in SF Bay Area, with good access to hotels and public transit. This is why Oracle, Google, SalesForce, and others use the same facility.

Moving the WWDC to another city (like Las Vegas) brings its own set of headaches, challenges, and costs.

True there would be costs but there are also benefits to doing such things in Vegas. For one the strip isn't a city like San Francisco, it is a far more enjoyable place to visit and yes I've been in both cities. The big advantage for Apple though is easy accommodations for a very large crowd of people. Apple could open up WWDC to 10,000 people and they wouldn't even be noticed in Las Vegas.
post #47 of 76
Yes, this is a much better way of doing this. I also like @rogifan your idea of getting a demographic of world interest before hand rather than just those that are trigger prone to get a ticket. I think multiple WWDC's might be good but one thing that it world prevent is the intermingling of ideas from around the world in one location.
post #48 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Interesting thought. Makes me wonder which surfing beach they will choose next for a product name. I'm thinking something either from Hawaii or Australia.

They stated the names will be inspirational places in CA, not surf locations around the world. Since Mavericks is the name of the break which means it's not official so I wonder if even a park like Yosemite will be considered. I doubt they'll use any cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Sure they could, easily. Registration would be in your name and non-transferrable, and photo ID would be required to get your event badge, making scalping worthless.

When you go to register they have not-fine-print that states: WWDC tickets may not be sold, resold, bartered, auctioned, or transferred in any way.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #49 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

/s

I wonder what new tech will they announce.
Your comments are not usefull here and have no fact of any kind. Amazon is based in the entertainment market, such as the Kindle, books, reading-entertainment, fire TV streaming and gaming- entertainment the only other thing they have is an online store (shipping) Apples handles entertainment personal and business. They also do shipping for accessories. : )
post #50 of 76
Quote:

True there would be costs but there are also benefits to doing such things in Vegas. For one the strip isn't a city like San Francisco, it is a far more enjoyable place to visit and yes I've been in both cities. The big advantage for Apple though is easy accommodations for a very large crowd of people. Apple could open up WWDC to 10,000 people and they wouldn't even be noticed in Las Vegas.

That could work providing the 1000+ engineers and other employees didn't have to go back to 1 Infinite Loop during the week to perform other duties. They'd likely have to do a more complete shutdown of the office but perhaps that will be possible once the new HQ gets populated.

post #51 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

When you go to register they have not-fine-print that states: WWDC tickets may not be sold, resold, bartered, auctioned, or transferred in any way.

?

He said the same thing you are.  His "sure they could" was the response to "Could apple stop them from doing this?"

post #52 of 76
Quote:

True there would be costs but there are also benefits to doing such things in Vegas. For one the strip isn't a city like San Francisco, it is a far more enjoyable place to visit and yes I've been in both cities.

I disagree- personal preference.  :\ 

post #53 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

This isn't MacWorld...this is a developer conference. The general public (including investors) can't and shouldn't expect something amazing at a developers conference beyond demo'ing the next revision of iOS and/or OS X. Yes, this happens but if it doesn't we can't forget that this is simply a developers conference. Where developers can bring their code in, have it looked it, get questions answered about current code, and how to apply any new SDKs for iOS and OS X. This is what WWDC is all about, not announcing new products. This is why they got away from doing MacWorlds. 
Except WWDC 2010 introduced iPhone 4, WWDC 2012 introduced the rMBP and of course last year we got a sneak peak at the nMP. Since Apple has announced nothing but CarPlay so far this year I fully expect to see some hardware announcement there. Especially since Cook there will be brand new products announced this year. That would be an awful lot to cram into one or two events this fall.
post #54 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

?

He said the same thing you are.  His "sure they could" was the response to "Could apple stop them from doing this?"

I know, and I could have been more clear. I was backing up his with comment with the specific text from Apple's WWDC registration site that states it's not possible.

post #55 of 76
Quote:

Um. June in the desert? A lot of Devs are probably in Silicon Valley. San Fran is way more enjoyable. In addition, I don't think they want 10000 people. It makes sessions less intimate and lines to ask the Apple engineers much longer.
post #56 of 76
@Andysol,

No, this is definitely my bad as my reply was too ambiguous.. The onus* is clearly on the writer to try to make their position clear in the text, especially when we're talking about t forum that has multiple authors engaging in multiple conversations within the same thread.

* Pronounced "anus" if you're Dewey from Justified.

post #57 of 76
Quote:

Clearly, Apple has decided against hosting in Vegas. There are tons of conferences in Vegas every year, starting with CES.

Note that one of the challenges of Apple hosting in another city is shuttling their employees to the location. Since WWDC is being held at Moscone, Apple staff can drive home at the end of the day and sleep in their own beds. Apple clearly can afford it, yet they choose not to do so.

My guess is that most of Apple's senior management prefers SF to Vegas, and that figures into their decision on where to hold it.

Note that WWDC isn't a tradeshow. It's a developers conference. The point is to sit in sessions and hands-on workshops that help you write better software. It's not about wandering around some huge floor shoving tchochkes into your messenger bag, gawking at booth bunnies, or partying all night long.

I'm not convinced that Apple wants a 10000 attendee conference. The interaction in hands-on sessions doesn't scale linearly with size. There are also concerns overworking key employees (overloading their speaking schedule) by holding multiple breakout sessions or extending the number of conference days.

Edited by mpantone - 4/3/14 at 12:32pm
post #58 of 76
Quote:

and 1000 apple developers wouldn't show up.   maybe 300, maybe only 100.  Apple isn't going to spend $500 a head to ship developers to LV, on top of losing their productivity (those 1000 developers aren't there 5x24.... they show up a couple days, and head home or the office and get work done.).

Why is trying to allow a larger set of people in one venue an advantage to apple.   Maybe they see the 'Developer Channel' on Apple TV 'Thinking Different?'   

And 'more enjoyable' is debatable.    

post #59 of 76
Quote:

@Andysol,

No, this is definitely my bad as my reply was too ambiguous.. The onus* is clearly on the writer to try to make their position clear in the text, especially when we're talking about t forum that has multiple authors engaging in multiple conversations within the same thread.

* Pronounced "anus" if you're Dewey from Justified.

Solip- Hopefully- you will really enjoy what I'm about to tell you.

So- one of the writers on justified is a gentleman named VJ Boyd.  He is from Dallas and is a avid listener to our sports radio station "1310 The Ticket".  Before I continue- this isn't your average "sports" station.  In fact- its basically a "guys" station that has an enormous cult following and has dominated the entire DFW male demographic market the past 15-20 years.  Has also won a Marconi (think oscars for radio).  Its absolutely a genius station- basically like sitting in and listening to a bunch of your buddies talking.  When someone says something wrong, or makes a mistake- they jump all over them and make fun of it.

That all said- so VJ is this huge listener- and he uses bits, names, and "drops" from the Ticket in his episodes.  Here is where he got it from:

http://www.theunticket.com/craig-rosengarden-thinks-the-anus-is-on-him/

My favorite part is he tries to cover it up by saying he meant to say "The hanus"- which makes even less since.  You'll also notice during that episode the other guy even questions him and says "The anus?" just like the co-host did.

Other things he's snuck in during other episodes are the names of the personalities: Sterm, Reiner, Corby, TC Flemming, Donovan, etc.

VJ Boyd is genius- and I love him for it.  8-) 

post #60 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Which means, as one would have to expect, there will be room for extras this year either. iOS & OS X updates. iPhone & iPad updates. A Mac or two will see a refresh.

What a fucked up perspective. So to you, completely new versions of iOS, OSX, iPhones, iPads, and Macs, each of which requires MILLIONS of man-hours of engineering, and which no doubt will contain numerous hardware and software additions, all fall under the "nothing new" category. You've already decided that updates to Apple's entire product line will elicit a *yawn" from you, so you can set yourself up to be "disappointed". I look forward to your predictable whining, which is already what you've decided to do no matter how awesome Apple's new products are and how many new innovations they contain.  You do not even like any of Apple's products if you're banking all your hopes on an "extra", whatever the hell that means. For those of us that actually use and love Apple products, it's pretty damn exciting when they get major updates.  Also, I somehow doubt you will be impressed even by a new product category, going by your perspective and insane expectations. 

Edited by Slurpy - 4/3/14 at 10:26am
post #61 of 76
Last years logo hinted at iOS7s design sirection. Looks like 8 is getting a matrix
post #62 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

/s
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeiP5 View Post
Your comments are not usefull here and have no fact of any kind. Amazon is based in the entertainment market, such as the Kindle, books, reading-entertainment, fire TV streaming and gaming- entertainment the only other thing they have is an online store (shipping) Apples handles entertainment personal and business. They also do shipping for accessories. : )

Well, he did use "/s" to indicate sarcasm.    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

(but I confess I'm having a hard time figuring out if you are employing sarcasm as well…)

post #63 of 76

Anyone suggesting Vegas for WWDC clearly doesn't know Apple.  Only Federighi's hair would make sense in Vegas.

post #64 of 76
Quote:

You have no clue what you're talking about. This lottery system is exactly what Google already is doing for Google I/O because it's so popular and sells out within minutes. The demand to get into Google I/O is just as high as the Apple Conference. Stop spreading untrue information.

While GoogleIO is popular, it has always been slower to sell out than WWDC even when everyone was given weeks advance notice VS Apple making you wait for the announcement. Add to that the higher cost of WWDC, the longer duration of WWDC, no spif at WWDC, the more highly technical sessions at WWDC, And it is even more plain WWDC has more developer interest than GoogleIO. That and GoogleIO feels more like a trade show than a developers conference.
post #65 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by daphreev View Post

The second picture looks like an Apple TV.

So does the first, if you look closely enough.

I always appreciate an Android fan who puts his energy into advertising Apple products.
I always appreciate an Android fan who puts his energy into advertising Apple products.
post #66 of 76
Quote:

They stated the names will be inspirational places in CA, not surf locations around the world. Since Mavericks is the name of the break which means it's not official so I wonder if even a park like Yosemite will be considered. I doubt they'll use any cities.

It is my understanding that the OSX naming roadmap has already been laid out, with contributions split roughly between Ive and Schiller.

Ive chose:

Yosemite

Redwood

Hollywood

Tahoe

Schiller chose:

Disneyland

Alcatraz

South Central L.A.

Seaworld

My Ass!

Close runners up for selection from Ive were:

Cupertino

Venice

Mojave

Golden Gate

Schiller decided not to use:

Universal Studios

Death Valley

Mountain View

post #67 of 76

I agree second picture looks like it represents an Apple TV.  Two thoughts here.  1.  I think the scattered colored shapes in the picture represent different uses.  The centered one is bringing all these uses into one device.  2.  Could also release new colored versions like the 5C.

post #68 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

the logo looks like an old school crt tv dot matrix....
If the invite art were made of dots, I would say Quantum Dot Display Technology is on its way. Unless of course Quantum dots actually look like that. 1biggrin.gif
post #69 of 76
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

1) sold out in...4 minutes this time?

3) if there's one thing Samsung or Google can't copy, it the vibrancy of these yearly 'get togethers'

Edit: pipped by @saarek

You have no clue what you're talking about. This lottery system is exactly what Google already is doing for Google I/O because it's so popular and sells out within minutes. The demand to get into Google I/O is just as high as the Apple Conference. Stop spreading untrue information.

Didn't know. Sorry, that was stupid of me for not checking first. Thank you.
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
post #70 of 76
Quote:

You didn't know about the lottery (I didn't know the lottery) but his statement about the demand being the same which he follows up with "Stop spreading untrue information" seems ironic. I'm not sure what measure he's using but people in this thread have posted the times and WWDC has been selling out considerably faster than Google I/O despite the mention that Google I/O ticket sales are announced in advanced.

PS: How does one measure sell out times if you're using a lottery that will get picked later? You stop the clock on the first ~5500 people that signed up?

post #71 of 76
Quote:

Quote:

You didn't know about the lottery (I didn't know the lottery) but his statement about the demand being the same which he follows up with "Stop spreading untrue information" seems ironic. I'm not sure what measure he's using but people in this thread have posted the times and WWDC has been selling out considerably faster than Google I/O despite the mention that Google I/O ticket sales are announced in advanced.

PS: How does one measure sell out times if you're using a lottery that will get picked later? You stop the clock on the first ~5500 people that signed up?

Oh my. Sure hope this doesn't turn out like that other thread...

So, yeah, thank you, I didn't know that either.

Sorry, I got stuff to do early tomorrow. But will like any follow up on sell out times posts should this turn into a good discussion.

Thank you.
post #72 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I like how Apple is doing it this year. Lots of lead time and doing the lottery allows them to really know how many people want to attend and from where. Should give them a good idea if a second WWDC, maybe in Europe, is needed.

You can always hope -- the logistics of bringing the 1000+ engineers for talks, labs, etc. plus all the equipment and other support just doesn't seem practical. Besides, the cat would be out of the bag for a bunch of the Apple announcements. One of greatest parts is networking with other developers -- you lose a lot of that. Maybe they could have some sort of simulcast for the larger talks and stagger the chow times. They already replay popular talks.

Maybe its time to restrict the press some -- I am sure it would not be a popular idea for them but they appear to have gotten to be a significant portion of those in attendance. Back in the conferences in middle to late 80's press wasn't allowed.

Certainly not the easiest problem to solve.

Kudos to Apple for the efforts they have made. I do appreciate that Apple now makes the videos available online within hours and to all developers without additional charge. That was a refreshing change.

post #73 of 76
After reading all the comments written so far, I decided to throw in some "fun" historical WWDC date information.

WWDC 2014 starts June 2.
WWDC 2013 started June 10.
WWDC 2012 started June 11.
WWDC 2011 started June 6.
WWDC 2010 started June 7.
WWDC 2009 started June 8.

This year's WWDC will being held earlier in June than the previous five WWDCs. 😉
post #74 of 76
@sog35 - Looks like AppleTV's used to create the dot matrix effect 1wink.gif
post #75 of 76

Overlapping application icons implies iOS 8 improves the way apps collaborate on tasks????

The share sheets could sure benefit from a wider selection of preferred apps based on the type of data e.g. images, reply to addresses, weblinks.
post #76 of 76
Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

Isn’t that last year’s?

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's WWDC 2014 kicks off June 2, tickets to be issued by random selection April 7