or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Obama administration upset over alleged Samsung 'selfie' publicity stunt

Obama administration upset over alleged Samsung 'selfie' publicity stunt

post #1 of 33
The White House is reportedly unhappy with South Korean electronics maker Samsung, over allegations that the company sponsored a "selfie" to which President Barack Obama was inadvertently a party.

The incident took place this week, when the World Series champion Boston Red Sox were recognized by the White House. At the event, designated hitter David Ortiz asked the president if the two of them could pose for a "selfie" with his Samsung smartphone, and Obama obliged, while one of Ortiz's Red Sox teammates yelled "cha-ching" in the background, mimicking the sound of a cash register.
The White House had "no idea" David Ortiz was sponsored by Samsung, and officials are reportedly "not happy" that the president was roped into what is alleged to have been a promotional stunt.
Since then, it's been noted that Ortiz is actually sponsored by Samsung, leading to allegations that the stunt was paid for by the company. Samsung Mobile also retweeted the image to promote "Big Papi's" use of one of the Galaxy Note 3 handset.

Samsung was asked by the New York Daily News whether the picture was sponsored, and the company issued a statement saying that officials "worked with David and the team on how to share images with fans," but that the company "didn't know if or what he would be able to capture."

After Ortiz's sponsorship was brought to light, the White House told CBS News senior White House correspondent Bill Plante that it had "no idea" the picture was a promotional effort by Samsung. He revealed that White House officials are "not happy" about the incident, but they have not made any requests to remove the tweets from Ortiz or Samsung.

"They don't want to appear heavy-handed," Plante said.

For his part, Ortiz has insisted that the photo with Obama was spontaneous, and was not sponsored by Samsung.

The incident marks the second time this year that Samsung has been connected to a high-profile celebrity "selfie" to promote its devices in the highly competitive smartphone space. At the Academy awards in March, Oscars host Ellen DeGeneres snapped a star-studded picture with a Galaxy Note as part of a sponsorship arrangement with Samsung. The comedienne also tweeted out other pictures taken that night with her iPhone.
post #2 of 33

Yeah, this is huge deal. Now close those illegal prisons and quite droning the shit outta the world.

Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #3 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"They don't want to appear heavy-handed," Plante said.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Since when?

post #4 of 33
World War III over a selfie.
post #5 of 33
I guess Samsung is like a teenage girl that justifies her existence by how many selfies she can capture.
post #6 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryb View Post

I guess Samsung is like a teenage girl that justifies her existence by how many selfies she can capture.

No need to defame teenage girls by likening them to Samsung.

post #7 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The White House is reportedly unhappy with South Korean electronics maker Samsung, over allegations that the company sponsored a "selfie" to which President Barack Obama was inadvertently a party.

The incident took place this week, when the World Series champion Boston Red Sox were recognized by the White House. At the event, designated hitter David Ortiz asked the president if the two of them could pose for a "selfie" with his Samsung smartphone...

Something tells me David Ortiz didn't say "my brutha can I snap a selfie with my SAMSUNG smartphone"? Obama is not my fav but then again he's not dumb as a fence post either.

With those sun glasses on my first look made me wonder why he was hugging up to either a spook or one of his Secret Service detail -- then I noticed the beard and the lack of a lapel pin.

I guess Samsung does live by the rule "the only bad press is none at only". Man they are slimy. 

post #8 of 33

When Phil Schiller was asked about the ability of the original iPhone to take a selfie “like Ellen DeGeneres did during the Oscars,”

Selfies. The Samsung way my foot!

post #9 of 33
Samscum
post #10 of 33
ROFL. Oh, dang, is Obama upset? And I thought selfies were his thing...

I don't like either party, so I'm enjoying watching this play out - poetic justice in progress.
post #11 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryb View Post

I'm less upset at Samsung than at Ortiz and the RedSox.   I'd expect him to act more like a statesman of the game (but hey... it's baseball).

(of course Johnny Gomes' dress was just so fashion wrong as well....  

who wears white pants before Memorial day? ;-) )

Personally, I think it's low class to sponsor-promote your trip to the White House...  I don't think it's as fine a line as some make it out.  Ortiz knows he's on Samsung's payroll, and he's cashing out on the deal.... he's not some semi-poor 20 something amateur  who may have gotten training expenses from her sponsors prior to becoming a miracle at the winter olympics and snapping a  very much personal (in social media is anything personal) souvenir    Papi is a 38yo 100Millionaire. 

Would he take a selfie at the open casket of, say, Pete Rose or Peter Gammons [not wishing either dead]? and post the picture on Twitter?  

(well, if Samsung says so for $100K...[and I'm sure agents who get their 15% would suggest it]  maybe...).

Respect the Office, and Respect your ability to win when it mattered...

post #12 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by mytdave View Post

ROFL. Oh, dang, is emperor Obama upset? And I thought selfies were his thing...

I don't like either party, so I'm enjoying watching this play out - poetic justice in progress.

If it improves the politics ('optics') of the person in office... it's all good.  

However, you certainly don't want the end game.  "Welcome to the GoDaddy.com Press Briefing Room in the Benjamin Moore 'Regal White' White House... Today's Briefing is sponsored by Netflix.com, where House of Cards 3 is available for download now on your complimentary Press Pool Microsoft Surface Reporter Pros, and Press Secretary's Nissen's wardrobe was provided for promotional consideration by Macys.com... Macy's, where 'Projecting Power is a Macy's Man's Strong Suit'"

post #13 of 33
It was a scam, but Samsung knew nothing about it. They never know anything about it, same as the earlier flagship launch in Korea, they knew ABSOLUTELY nothing about it.
post #14 of 33
Looking forward to Ortiz being spotted with his iPhone, having put the SameDung phone back in its box after cashing his endorsement check.
I have enough money to last the rest of my life. Unless I buy something. - Jackie Mason
Never own anything that poops. - RadarTheKat
I have enough money to last the rest of my life. Unless I buy something. - Jackie Mason
Never own anything that poops. - RadarTheKat
post #15 of 33
I see they even got a token white guy in the picture. lol.gif
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #16 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankie View Post

After Bush I'm not sure it's possible to "degrade the office any lower."

I think "Tricky Dick" was way worse. "W" wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer, but he wasn't evil, in my opinion, not like Nixon was.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #17 of 33

That is what handlers are for...to vet people and their intentions.  But President Obama portrays his "hipness" so he should take it like a man.

post #18 of 33
Ah, the Samsung theft of the day. Must be short of patents to infringe this week.

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

post #19 of 33

"Obama obliged, while one of Ortiz's Red Sox teammates yelled "cha-ching" in the background, mimicking the sound of a cash register."

Ah the sacrifices such underpaid baseball players need to go to to feed their entourages. His team knew he was cashing in.

post #20 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

With those sun glasses on my first look made me wonder why he was hugging up to either a spook or one of his Secret Service detail -- then I noticed the beard and the lack of a lapel pin.

"Spook"? That is an unfortunate word to have used. 1oyvey.gif
post #21 of 33
Apple's losing social awareness ground to Samsung.

A superior product that whispers will eventually be outdone by an inferior one that yells.
post #22 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Apple's losing social awareness ground to Samsung.

A superior product that whispers will eventually be outdone by an inferior one that yells.

An inferior product that screams, "look at me, look at me, me cool!" [sic].

post #23 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by quinney View Post

"Spook" is also slang for a spy / CIA operative. But yes, it has another, derogatory meaning.

post #24 of 33

Okay for once the Samsung hire Celeb did not use an Apple product, over Samsung, but they caught the attend of the US government. How smart are they, and this ball player can beat he is now on the do not allow list the government keeps.

post #25 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlApple View Post

A US citizen is the only person that has rights under US law.
Remind me to never be a tourist in that old US of A over there.

censored

censored

post #26 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Remind me to never be a tourist in that old US of A over there.

Love to have you. We're a fine bunch of yokels over here.
post #27 of 33

Wait until nightfall. That's when the anti-American trolls come out to play.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #28 of 33
He hates samsung. Haha 1smile.gif Orbotix took a video of him using Sphero and he had a iPhone 4s in his hands. It's still on YouTube. And he said if it wasn't for the secret service, he'd have iPhone. Any what might not be true but I think it's kind of funny
post #29 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Wait until nightfall. That's when the anti-American trolls come out to play.
Wait for a bit of patriotism mocking banter, that's when the over sensitive paranoiacs come out to play.

No one was being anti-American.

censored

censored

post #30 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Stupid POTUS.
Once again degrades the office.

There's no reason to idolize politicians. It doesn't matter what politician. It's even more ridiculous to extrapolate anything from a photo like this. I can think of numerous reasons to criticize the guy. The one you chose is simply idiotic.

post #31 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Quote:

@quinney :\

If I had intended to denigrate the man's race I could have pulled from a litany of words I have heard in my life (having gone thru high school & college in Texas). The term spook is a well used term for CIA or Intelligence industry folks and more commonly IMHO the the racial epithet you imply I used.

In the dictionaries and Wikipedia on my iMac it defines spook as:

1. a ghost,

2. spy,

3. offensive dated term for a black person.

So if you are dead set on finding the possible ugliness in a quip I guess your accusation stands.

I believe in, and have hope for, the human race and when ask to fill out a form that asks for your race/ethnicity I answer human if given the opportunity. 

BTW: 2 of my favorite people in the world are of african american heritage. My sister and her husband adopted the baby boy then a couple years later a baby girl. These young folks (22 & 19) are my only niece and nephew except by marriage. When their father died of brain cancer leaving them with a single mom I filled in (they were 5 & 2) as a father figure for them (especially my nephew) and do not tolerate the use of racial epithets from any around me.

I also think it unfortunate that an dated term like that be pointed out as not PC. In the english language there are often words that can have multiple meanings. Why not try to look for the good in context and assume 'no harm' was intended instead of dragging out the negative?

post #32 of 33
Hahahaha.
President Selfie not happy with his selfie. Doubtful.
More like naif, solipsistic President Selfie not happy he got whoopsied outmaneuvered, which isn't difficult.
post #33 of 33
Quote:

@quinney 1hmm.gif
If I had intended to denigrate the man's race I could have pulled from a litany of words I have heard in my life (having gone thru high school & college in Texas). The term spook is a well used term for CIA or Intelligence industry folks and more commonly IMHO the the racial epithet you imply I used.

In the dictionaries and Wikipedia on my iMac it defines spook as:
1. a ghost,
2. spy,
3. offensive dated term for a black person.
So if you are dead set on finding the possible ugliness in a quip I guess your accusation stands.

I believe in, and have hope for, the human race and when ask to fill out a form that asks for your race/ethnicity I answer human if given the opportunity. 

BTW: 2 of my favorite people in the world are of african american heritage. My sister and her husband adopted the baby boy then a couple years later a baby girl. These young folks (22 & 19) are my only niece and nephew except by marriage. When their father died of brain cancer leaving them with a single mom I filled in (they were 5 & 2) as a father figure for them (especially my nephew) and do not tolerate the use of racial epithets from any around me.

I also think it unfortunate that an dated term like that be pointed out as not PC. In the english language there are often words that can have multiple meanings. Why not try to look for the good in context and assume 'no harm' was intended instead of dragging out the negative?

I thought the context of your comment clearly pointed to the second definition of spook. So much so that no other use of the term even crossed my mind in this instance.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Obama administration upset over alleged Samsung 'selfie' publicity stunt