or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Greenpeace flies blimp over Silicon Valley to praise Apple, others for 'building a greener Internet'

Greenpeace flies blimp over Silicon Valley to praise Apple, others for 'building a greener Internet'

post #1 of 32
While Greenpeace and Apple have had their clashes in the past, the environmental advocacy group took to the skies to instead praise Apple this week, championing the iPhone maker, along with Facebook and Google, for "building a greener Internet."

Apple's logo was displayed on Greenpeace's blimp, which flew over Silicon Valley on Thursday as part of a publicity stunt to encourage technology companies to adopt sustainable energy.

The other side of the blimp was used to call out four technology companies that Greenpeace feels are not going "green" with their cloud-based operations. The airborne vehicle displayed app logos for Amazon, Netflix, Twitter and Pinterest with the question "who's next to go green?"

The display comes a day after a report from the organization declared that Apple's data centers are the most environmentally friendly in the technology industry. Greenpeace also identified Apple as "the most innovative and most aggressive" company in Silicon Valley at finding ways to feed its data centers with renewable energy.

While Apple was given a score of "A" and ranked 100 percent in the group's "Clean Energy Index," Amazon and Twitter both earned failing grades. Google also earned an "A," but its servers still utilize some natural gas, coal and nuclear power, which gave the search giant just a 48 percent on the index.

Apple Maiden NC Data Center

Racks of Apple's iCloud servers in Maiden, NC

Greenpeace also praised Apple in February for reducing its use of conflict minerals in products like the iPhone. The group hailed Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook for increased transparency at the company under his watch.

The organization's endorsements of Apple are a change from years past, when Greenpeace singled the company out over environmental issues. In 2012, the group held protests in both Cupertino, Calif., and Cork, Ireland, accusing Apple of using coal-based power at its massive data center in Maiden, N.C. The company responded by pledging to rely on 100 percent renewable energy by the end of the year, and now lays claim to some of the greenest data centers on the planet.
post #2 of 32
Wonder what the carbon footprint is of the Greenpeace blimp.
post #3 of 32
what powered that blimp, Gas? how Green is that

^, okay you beat me to the punch...

I would love to see greenpeace members on the naked and afraid and see how well they would do without modern conveniences
post #4 of 32
I'm 100% behind the same causes as Greenpeace, and will even begrudgingly admit the effectiveness--even necessity--of publicity stunts when trying to foster change that benefits us all. Obviously you HAVE to burn some carbon on the road to lower emissions.

But even I know a giant gasbag when I see one.
post #5 of 32
"Well, that escalated quickly."

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #6 of 32
I always say the best way for anyone overly concerned about their carbon footprint is to 1) not exist and 2) not-have children, and you might as well take out as many hippies as you can before kill yourself.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #7 of 32
The biggest problem I've always had with Microsoft is their constant failure to be on blimps.
My car keeps crashing whenever I do 150mph. It's a design flaw. People tell me to slow down and drive normally but I should be able to use it as I wish.
My car keeps crashing whenever I do 150mph. It's a design flaw. People tell me to slow down and drive normally but I should be able to use it as I wish.
post #8 of 32

So they celebrate conservationism by wasting massive amounts of helium (which is short supply at the moment) in a ridiculously expensive PR stunt. Awesome, GP, just awesome.

post #9 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtDent View Post

About the same as a moped:  http://www.rotaxservice.com/rotax_engines/rotax_582ULs.htm

post #10 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I always say the best way for anyone overly concerned about their carbon footprint is to 1) not exist and 2) not-have children, and you might as well take out as many hippies as you can before kill yourself.

What's a "hippie"?

post #11 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

What's a "hippie"?

• http://www.southparkstudios.com/full-episodes/s09e02-die-hippie-die (21m:26s) 1biggrin.gif

post #12 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtDent View Post

Virtually nothing compared to the pressure it will put on Amazon, Netflix and Twitter to up their game.

Greenpeace stand for effecting change, and they can't do that without expending some energy to get there. To expect otherwise would be ludicrous.

censored

censored

post #13 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Greenpeace stand for effecting change, and they can't do that without expending some energy to get there. To expect otherwise would be ludicrous.

Greenpeace stands for BS - they were hassling Apple when Apple was much greener than anybody else a few years ago just because it was good publicity and could help them drum of donations.

45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #14 of 32
In Apple's case, going green, Greenpeace style, has meant destroying all the green things that'd be growing instead of their acres of solar cells. At least Apple isn't into killing birds aka wind farms.
post #15 of 32

Unless the blimp is filled with hydrogen (Oh the humanity!), it's filled with a completely unrenewable gas that comes from oil wells that the Earth is running out of.

post #16 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

Greenpeace stands for BS - they were hassling Apple when Apple was much greener than anybody else a few years ago just because it was good publicity and could help them drum of donations.
And Apple were hassling Microsoft when Vista was having issues and they saw an opportunity to sell a few more Macs. Using opportunity to sell a message does not equate to BS, it equates to good messaging policy.

censored

censored

post #17 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

what powered that blimp, Gas? how Green is that

^, okay you beat me to the punch...

I would love to see greenpeace members on the naked and afraid and see how well they would do without modern conveniences

What powered the blimp?  

I think it was Cow Flatuence?!?

But more importantly, what was used to fill the blimp?

Greenpeace Hot Air?

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #18 of 32
Man, this thread certainly has brought out all the underground blimp experts.

censored

censored

post #19 of 32
Quote:

Will hipsters do? lol.gif
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #20 of 32
Quote:

And Apple were hassling Microsoft when Vista was having issues and they saw an opportunity to sell a few more Macs. Using opportunity to sell a message does not equate to BS, it equates to good messaging policy.

It isn't good messaging policy - because the criteria they use to pick companies to hassle has nothing to do with the environment.  Eventually everyone will realize that they are crooks and this policy will backfire.

They are not an organization that protects the environment, they are an organization that shakes down people for money.

45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #21 of 32

How much fossil fuel-sourced electricity and how big a carbon footprint does manufacturing a blimp (and all of its customized parts) require?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #22 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

It isn't good messaging policy - because the criteria they use to pick companies to hassle has nothing to do with the environment.  Eventually everyone will realize that they are crooks and this policy will backfire.

They are not an organization that protects the environment, they are an organization that shakes down people for money.

1) I wonder if they are moving their own goalposts specifically to make it harder for Apple to get 100% or as many A's next time. To me, that seems like something they would do.

2) My problem with the blimp is that it seems like a waste compared to other forms of advertisements, but maybe I'm wrong. I'd think talking out a digital ad praising Apple would do more good but maybe this blimp is unique enough to get news media to report on it thereby making it the most cost, fuel, and environmentally efficient form of praise.

post #23 of 32
One word, beautiful. Nice to see thats it's 100% Eco friendly and good for google too. But that That great that Apples servers are 100% green.
post #24 of 32
Meanwhile in San Francisco residents have spotted what appears to be several blimps loaded with shipping containers converging on the fisherman's wharf area.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #25 of 32

Apple cares about ecology but screws our government by avoiding paying taxes which they owe!

post #26 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

Apple cares about ecology but screws our government by avoiding paying taxes which they owe!

Taxes they owe or taxes you think they should pay above what they legally owe?

post #27 of 32
Quote:

Apple pay all their US taxes, they are one of America's largest taxpayers, why should they pay US taxes on income derived outside the country, which is never repatriated, Apple is a multinational company just like any other multinational company.
post #28 of 32
Quote:

They pay every cent they are legally obliged to, blame the lawmakers that you elect (so blame yourself) for the complex tax code.

45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #29 of 32
Man, this thread certainly has brought out all the underground blimp experts.

Oh I like that.

The blimp is hideous by the way. I can tell by the pixels and from having seen quite a few blimps in my time.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
post #30 of 32
Quote:

Taxes they owe or taxes you think they should pay above what they legally owe?

I'm sure you guys knew already, but I was reading a blurb in the latest issue of Wired about how companies like Apple and Google use countries like Ireland to circumvent paying more taxes. Million(s) dollar loopholes.

post #31 of 32
So a future based on renewable energy bringsb the knives out here? The alternative, as clearly spelled out by many including the just released IPCC report, is incompatible with continuing human civilisation. Apple understands this, unless you think Tim is just on a giant marketing kick.

And as for equating wind farms with bird deaths you really need to read some studies on the issue instead of regurgitating whatever Fox News / Daily Mail is spouting. And of course, as we all know, the CO2, particulates and other gases from burning coal to generate our electricity actually improve your health ...

Isn't a hippie someone who thinks that there might be more to life than making more and more money?
post #32 of 32
Quote:

Did someone say hippies?

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 95

..... the greatest fame comes from adding to human knowledge, not winning battles.
Paraphrased from Napolean Bonaparte, 1798
..... the greatest fame comes from adding to human knowledge, not winning battles.
Paraphrased from Napolean Bonaparte, 1798
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Greenpeace flies blimp over Silicon Valley to praise Apple, others for 'building a greener Internet'