or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Video pits iPhone 5s Touch ID against Samsung's Galaxy S5 fingerprint scanner
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Video pits iPhone 5s Touch ID against Samsung's Galaxy S5 fingerprint scanner - Page 2

post #41 of 84
"Like and subscribe for a POSSIBLE GS5 giveaway." What does that mean exactly?
Edited by Ireland - 4/4/14 at 9:19am
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #42 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by thismarty View Post

Either I've got one seriously unusual set of thumbs or TouchID is a 99% marketing.

I'm on my fourth iPhone 5S and I still can't get TouchID to recognize one of my thumbs for more than a day. Works great right after training, requires multiple attempts a few hours later, won't work no matter what the next day, if not earlier.

The only thing TouchID is good for IMHO is making Siri seem to suck less.

Seeing as Touch ID has nothing to do with Siri I guess that catches you out on a lie then, doesn't it?
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #43 of 84

Message this video conveys regarding fingerprint technology:

 

iPhone 5S - hands down winner.

 

Samesung Galaxy 5s - gimmick.

Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
post #44 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Seeing as Touch ID has nothing to do with Siri I guess that catches you out on a lie then, doesn't it?
I think he was just saying that Siri also doesn't work a lot of time, but TouchID is worse. Not necessarily a lie, though my experience has been much better in both cases.

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #45 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by togan View Post

7.1 cleared all the problems I had with my thumb. For some reason my fingers worked but my thumb was out of the question two days later. Faster and perfect reads now. Have you updated your 4th 5s :/

Exactly the same for me. Before 7.1 Touch ID was hit or miss with my thumb, usually 95% with finger, but now 100% with any registered finger.

post #46 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

I think he was just saying that Siri also doesn't work a lot of time, but TouchID is worse. Not necessarily a lie, though my experience has been much better in both cases.

 

Right, that's fair enough. But 4th iPhone 5s, honestly? Do you believe him? I don't. There's no way of knowing anything for sure, but my bet is he has never owned one.

Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #47 of 84
He forgot to say that while Paypal is going to accept fingerprint payment someday, you can't use it on the PlayStore, while you can use TouchID on the AppStore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by patsu View Post

I had some issues with 7.0 TouchID.

iOS7.1 Touch ID has been perfect so far. ^_^

Nice to hear that the update apparently truly fixed some issues with it.
post #48 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

He forgot to say that while Paypal is going to accept fingerprint payment someday, you can't use it on the PlayStore, while you can use TouchID on the AppStore.

I wonder why Samsung didn't use Google for payment processing? Google is more than capable of that.

Is this the beginnings of Samsung trying to get away from Google and/or Android?

Even if Samsung sticks with Google... there's gonna be a lot of cooks stirring the pot.

You'll have Samsung supplying the hardware and TouchWiz... Google providing the OS and services... and PayPal handling payments.

That seems needlessly complicated.
post #49 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingthebigG View Post

Samsung does, however, include a few tricks not yet available on the iPhone, the most prominent being payments integration with PayPal.

If I remember correctly, Touch ID provides authentication for iTunes, App Store and iBooks Store purchases.

I would think an Apple-focused Web site would try to mention this just to show Apple does provide electronic payment capabilities with Touch ID.

I just buy stuff from within the eBay app it integrates with the PayPal app, why bother with Touch ID for that when the passwords are already set up, especially when to even access my phone you need to enter the strong password I set up.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #50 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Well, they did manufacture a few hundred of the gold versions, so yes, it will likely be in short supply after a few weeks...

On launch it will be a three to five week wait, same for the blue model.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #51 of 84

In my opinion Samsung should have just left out the fingerprint scanner for now and had better focused on finding new ways to unlock. Or at least waited until the technology for an integrated fingerprint scanner into the display is ready.

post #52 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by revenant View Post
 

i have never had a problem ever, nor my wife.  she did at first, but that was user error (she thought she could just touch, but the thumb needs to stay put for a second).

For a second? Don't get something started. It may SEEM like a second, but it's only 0.4 seconds if you include pressing the home button; if you're  phone is already activated then a scan takes just 0.24 seconds. Here's a video showing it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wW3OcxMnhwc

post #53 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings View Post
 

For a second? Don't get something started. It may SEEM like a second, but it's only 0.4 seconds if you include pressing the home button; if you're  phone is already activated then a scan takes just 0.24 seconds. Here's a video showing it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wW3OcxMnhwc

sorry, i did not time it.  my point was that she tapped it as fast as she could and that was clearly not long enough.

post #54 of 84

I couldn't stop laughing while watching the video, as he kept trying to say something positive about the S5's fingerprint reader while finding it impossible for it to work. Maybe he was being sarcastic about the Samsung's capabilities by showing it missing the read over and over while the iPhone read it perfect every time and from multiple angles.

 

Also, that huge thing would be impossible to unlock with one hand using that gesture...period. It looks uncomfortable to hold, especially if you have smaller hands. He also mentions you can pay with Paypal which is cool, but considering the amount of failed attempts shown in the video, you'd be much faster just typing in the password and could do it with just one hand instead of two.

 

As to Touch ID, in my experience (and my wife's), it works just like in the video: perfectly every time. I had a thumb that had occasional misses in the beginning (funny that the other thumb worked perfectly), but after 7.1 that one works fine too. Also, I have one programmed in my wife's phone and it's always worked perfectly. And when I use touch ID to pay for iTunes purchases, it also works. Sorry Samsung. Nice try, but no. :)

 

Just pondering...

post #55 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numenorean View Post
 

I couldn't stop laughing while watching the video, as he kept trying to say something positive about the S5's fingerprint reader while finding it impossible for it to work. Maybe he was being sarcastic about the Samsung's capabilities by showing it missing the read over and over while the iPhone read it perfect every time and from multiple angles.

 

Also, that huge thing would be impossible to unlock with one hand using that gesture...period. It looks uncomfortable to hold, especially if you have smaller hands. He also mentions you can pay with Paypal which is cool, but considering the amount of failed attempts shown in the video, you'd be much faster just typing in the password and could do it with just one hand instead of two.

 

As to Touch ID, in my experience (and my wife's), it works just like in the video: perfectly every time. I had a thumb that had occasional misses in the beginning (funny that the other thumb worked perfectly), but after 7.1 that one works fine too. Also, I have one programmed in my wife's phone and it's always worked perfectly. And when I use touch ID to pay for iTunes purchases, it also works. Sorry Samsung. Nice try, but no. :)

 

Just pondering...

To be fair, the failed attempts in the video were deliberate in order to demonstrate that it only reads when you swipe directly down (but if you do it works quite well). But I have to say that Samsung should have just left off the fingerprint scanner for now (at least until the fingerprint scanner built into the display technology is ready) and should have just focused on finding alternative ways of unlocking phones. The implementation as it is now is not as it should be.

post #56 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by tastowe View Post

The samsung are cheater again by copy the lock screen with camera at the right corner from iPhone lock screen

It has been possible to slide from the right to activate the camera on Android phones since at least 2.0 (release 2009). With the iPhone only introducing this feature in iOS 5.0 (release end 2011). So not really seeing your point here :s. Here you have for example have an xperia phone with Android 4.0 with the camera button in the right corner (2011). 

http://i582.photobucket.com/albums/ss269/netbookc/XB1/XperiaSICSFirmware_04.png

or HTC on Android 2.3: http://www.theunwired.net/media/column/htc_sensation/htc_sensation_lockscreen.jpg

In Android 4.0 the camera as standard was included into the circular lock screen design (but some skins still used the old method) and in 4.1 it became part of the lock screen widgets opening the camera with a swipe (it is also still possible to use the circular design to open the camera if you wish to add it).


Edited by Chipsy - 4/4/14 at 6:51am
post #57 of 84
Is that iPhone jailbroken? What is that gesture he uses to lock the iPhone? And how does he have 5 icons on the dock?
post #58 of 84
Don't worry. Once other ARM licensees are on the 64-bit train, it'll be praised as 'innovation' by the haters.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #59 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Don't worry. Once other ARM licensees are on the 64-bit train, it'll be praised as 'innovation' by the haters.

To be correct they actually already were on the 64bit train. Pretty much every major chip designer and manufacturer (Applied Micro, Nvidia which at that time already announced that they were working on a 64bit chip for smartphones with Project Denver, Marvell, Samsung, Qualcomm...)  licensed ARMv8 at the moment the license became available. Apple just finished earlier for which they deserve a lot of credit.

post #60 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipsy View Post

To be correct they actually already were on the 64bit train. Pretty much every major chip designer and manufacturer (Applied Micro, Nvidia which at that time already announced that they were working on a 64bit chip for smartphones with Project Denver, Marvell, Samsung, Qualcomm...)  licensed ARMv8 at the moment the license became available. Apple just finished earlier for which they deserve a lot of credit.

Finished earlier and with nobody knowing about it, complete with compatible OS, Apps and development tools.

Always remember Apple founded ARM along with Acorn.

If it wasn't for Apple, Applied Micro, Nvidia , Project Denver, Marvell, Samsung and Qualcomm would have nothing.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #61 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Don't let Apple's competitors dupe you into believing otherwise; the A7 is a fantastic development.

Something tells me those who cherry pick benchmarks to attack Apple aren't so much "duped" as willing participants in dismissing Apple.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #62 of 84
Originally Posted by thismarty View Post
Either I've got one seriously unusual set of thumbs or TouchID is a 99% marketing.

 

I see your confusion. Your post is 99% FUD; that’s what you’re mixing up here.

 

TouchID has worked on every iPhone 5S I’ve tried. That means display phones, in various stores (so various cleanliness of clientele), in various cities, and it’s right every time. 

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #63 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post


Finished earlier and with nobody knowing about it, complete with compatible OS, Apps and development tools.

Always remember Apple founded ARM along with Acorn.

If it wasn't for Apple, Applied Micro, Nvidia , Project Denver, Marvell, Samsung and Qualcomm would have nothing.


Misread the message at first. Well I'm sure if ARM didn't become the main supplier of mobile architectures I'm sure that someone else would have picked up the slack. Also Apple's share in ARM was not that large to be honest. It apparently also sold of a lot of shares in 1999 (only keeping around 15% apparently)


Edited by Chipsy - 4/4/14 at 7:40am
post #64 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipsy View Post


Misread the message at first. Well I'm sure if ARM didn't become the main supplier of mobile architectures I'm sure that someone else would have picked up the slack.

Like brick sized Intel phones with cooling fans.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #65 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Is that iPhone jailbroken? What is that gesture he uses to lock the iPhone? And how does he have 5 icons on the dock?

It looks like cydia is the fifth icon.

The big thing to notice is the iPhone's obviously better one handed operation.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #66 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I see your confusion. Your post is 99% FUD; that’s what you’re mixing up here.

TouchID has worked on every iPhone 5S I’ve tried. That means display phones, in various stores (so various cleanliness of clientele), in various cities, and it’s right every time. 
Of the two iPhone 5S users I know of (myself included) TouchID failed.
In my case it worked initially most of the time but failed almost all of the time after a few month.
It failed most of the time from the start in the other case.
After iOS7.1 TouchID works 100% for me and most of the time for the other iPhone 5S.
post #67 of 84

This looks like more of a gimmick than a utility. This is just a way to check the box on the long list of 'features' Samsung's flagship phone has. A fingerprint scanner of this quality would never had made it past the prototype stage at Apple. To be effective, a feature should consistently perform under typical everyday use. 

 

With my 5S, I'd guess that 95% of my daily unlocks are done with my fingerprint, almost always one-handed. I'll be curious to see how usable this feature will be on Android, as it seems that using a code will still be easier with one hand. Users will likely learn to go back to using a code after multiple failed unlock attempts with the fingerprint scanner. 

 

Finally, while many pundits claimed Apple's Touch ID was a gimmick, it works exceptionally well. The average user unlocks their phone 110 times day, that's 110 times you no longer have to type in a 4 digit passcode.  One-handed & instant access to your secure phone, apparently not easy to replicate. 

post #68 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post


I wonder why Samsung didn't use Google for payment processing? Google is more than capable of that.

Is this the beginnings of Samsung trying to get away from Google and/or Android?

Even if Samsung sticks with Google... there's gonna be a lot of cooks stirring the pot.

You'll have Samsung supplying the hardware and TouchWiz... Google providing the OS and services... and PayPal handling payments.

That seems needlessly complicated.

 

I think that Google simply didn't want to have anything to do with their fingerprint scanning system. I doubt they've made as much research as Apple did on security. Even if they've been using fingerprint tech for a long time on other products they make, it's their first time on a connected device.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowitall View Post


Of the two iPhone 5S users I know of (myself included) TouchID failed.
In my case it worked initially most of the time but failed almost all of the time after a few month.
It failed most of the time from the start in the other case.
After iOS7.1 TouchID works 100% for me and most of the time for the other iPhone 5S.


Apparently anyone's experience is just what it is, anecdotal. TouchID seems to be working great for most people and really terrible for a very small minority. The update fixed most of the problems and I really wonder how. Was the analysis flawed? Did it really 'forget'? Some people may really have a peculiar fingerprint configuration or a particular skin type that doesn't work with TouchID. As usual, statistics would be a better way to asses if it works, but we'll never get those.

post #69 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by togan View Post

7.1 cleared all the problems I had with my thumb. For some reason my fingers worked but my thumb was out of the question two days later. Faster and perfect reads now. Have you updated your 4th 5s :/

 

Same here.  Early on things would be good for a while then it was hit-or-miss.  However since iOS v7.1 my iPhone 5s recognizes my finger and thumb almost without fail now.  Much improved and very happy.

post #70 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by thismarty View Post

Either I've got one seriously unusual set of thumbs or TouchID is a 99% marketing.

I'm on my fourth iPhone 5S and I still can't get TouchID to recognize one of my thumbs for more than a day. Works great right after training, requires multiple attempts a few hours later, won't work no matter what the next day, if not earlier.

The only thing TouchID is good for IMHO is making Siri seem to suck less.

My Touch ID was working ok on iOS 7. I upgraded to 7.1 and it either wouldn't work or was almost impossible to use. After restoring to a fresh install of the ios and restarting the phone dozens of times I went to the Apple Store. As the "genius" was working with me I glanced over her shoulder and saw she was reading a bulletin to capture iPhone 5s that are presented with Touch ID failures after upgrading to 7.1. She replaced my phone and it works great. If you have an Apple Store nearby take it there. They will check to make sure the replacement is working before you leave.
post #71 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by thismarty View Post

Either I've got one seriously unusual set of thumbs or TouchID is a 99% marketing.

I'm on my fourth iPhone 5S and I still can't get TouchID to recognize one of my thumbs for more than a day. Works great right after training, requires multiple attempts a few hours later, won't work no matter what the next day, if not earlier.

The only thing TouchID is good for IMHO is making Siri seem to suck less.

If you're going to be doing this:



... you should at least wipe the ear wax off first before attempting an unlock... just sayin' 1smoking.gif
Edited by ThePixelDoc - 4/4/14 at 10:03am
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
post #72 of 84

What a horrendous implementation of a feature. I can't believe Samsung isn't embarrassed by this. Even after being given the template by the 5S 6 months ago, this is the best they could come up with? What utter incompetence, and contempt for users. You have to know this was tested internally, with shit results, yet they decided to release it anyway cause they couldn't really give 2 shits. Who cares whether it works well or not, or whether users actually keep using it? They got the bullet point in (at the expense of the customer), and with Samsung that's the only thing that has ever really mattered. The bullet point, with a middle-finger to useability.

 

I'd like to see one article from a mainstream site or the media that describes how horrible this feature is, but I know that won't happen. The fictional scenario that the 5S sensor could be "hacked" was plastered all over the fucking media several months ago- I guess cause that tied nicely with "Apple is doomed". Why not some stories on CNN/Forbes/NYT/etc discussing the (lack of) security of Samsung's solution, when the S5 will be the best selling Android phone? No, won't happen. 


Edited by Slurpy - 4/4/14 at 10:42am
post #73 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS11 View Post
 

Meanwhile Intel's Merrifield smartphone (dual core) is the only Android smartphone to run a 64-bit kernel.

 

350275-intel-moorefield-reference-phone.jpg

 

Small chassis paired with a 4 inch display, better battery life than Android flagships that are using larger batteries, and despite running Android (which is not as well optimized as iOS) it still manages to offer similar performance to the iPhone 5S.

This is actually very interesting.

 

I had always thought that the reason that Android phones are gigantic is because the manufacturers simply cannot create a phone in Apple's size with the same performance/battery life/camera quality as the iPhone, so they have no choice but to make them huge.

 

Kudos to Intel.

post #74 of 84
Samsung's biometric unlocking has potential and due to its size, you are always going to use two hands anyway. i been using iPhone the last five years, lately, i am starting to be open for a change.
post #75 of 84
"Meanwhile, Intel (insert chip codename) blah blah blah (insert cherry picked benchmarks) blah blah blah therefore intel wins."

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #76 of 84
I was worried about that last picture until I saw a partial of the cup at the top.
It's the heat death of the universe, my friends.
Reply
It's the heat death of the universe, my friends.
Reply
post #77 of 84
I would love to have touch ID especially for purchases.
post #78 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipsy View Post
 

To be fair, the failed attempts in the video were deliberate in order to demonstrate that it only reads when you swipe directly down (but if you do it works quite well). But I have to say that Samsung should have just left off the fingerprint scanner for now (at least until the fingerprint scanner built into the display technology is ready) and should have just focused on finding alternative ways of unlocking phones. The implementation as it is now is not as it should be.

 

That's a fair point, but at the same time it proves my point. The Samsung needs a gesture so exact, that you need two hands and a perfect movement to get it to work every time, whereas the iPhone's Touch ID works every time from every angle in an easy, effortless way.

 

Also, the S5 scanner doesn't seem built into the display. It seems more like the display serves as a guide for you to start the movement through the scanner, a bit like starting right outside the screen on an iPhone to bring up the control panel. I also don't think it's not ready or that the S5 scanner is bad, since, as you say, it works quite well when you swipe directly down. The main problem I see is that it's terrible for a smartphone and for the average consumer as currently placed. It would be just fine under other applications and uses. 

 

The main reason why the current implementation doesn't work, imho, apart from needing such a perfect swipe, is that they tried to copy the iPhone implementation on the home button. Perhaps, it would have been better to place a small ditch of adequate length for one to slide the finger on, on the back of the phone under the camera. This way one could swipe one's index finger on it while holding the phone and using a single hand. It would maintain the current technology, but in a more useful, guided manner, usable with one hand and less prone to errors. On top of that it would be easy to find not just 'cause it's a groove on the back of the phone, but by starting at the camera bump. Something similar to that or some other, clever way to have it be easier, especially one handed. :)

 

Just pondering...

post #79 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS11 View Post
 

Meanwhile Intel's Merrifield smartphone (dual core) is the only Android smartphone to run a 64-bit kernel.

 

350275-intel-moorefield-reference-phone.jpg

 

Small chassis paired with a 4 inch display, better battery life than Android flagships that are using larger batteries, and despite running Android (which is not as well optimized as iOS) it still manages to offer similar performance to the iPhone 5S.

 

Would they have come up with this if ARM wasn't around?

 

Twenty-four years after Apple founded ARM with Acorn.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #80 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numenorean View Post
 

 

That's a fair point, but at the same time it proves my point. The Samsung needs a gesture so exact, that you need two hands and a perfect movement to get it to work every time, whereas the iPhone's Touch ID works every time from every angle in an easy, effortless way.

 

Also, the S5 scanner doesn't seem built into the display. It seems more like the display serves as a guide for you to start the movement through the scanner, a bit like starting right outside the screen on an iPhone to bring up the control panel. I also don't think it's not ready or that the S5 scanner is bad, since, as you say, it works quite well when you swipe directly down. The main problem I see is that it's terrible for a smartphone and for the average consumer as currently placed. It would be just fine under other applications and uses. 

 

The main reason why the current implementation doesn't work, imho, apart from needing such a perfect swipe, is that they tried to copy the iPhone implementation on the home button. Perhaps, it would have been better to place a small ditch of adequate length for one to slide the finger on, on the back of the phone under the camera. This way one could swipe one's index finger on it while holding the phone and using a single hand. It would maintain the current technology, but in a more useful, guided manner, usable with one hand and less prone to errors. On top of that it would be easy to find not just 'cause it's a groove on the back of the phone, but by starting at the camera bump. Something similar to that or some other, clever way to have it be easier, especially one handed. :)

 

Just pondering...


In anyway I think we agree on the idea that Samsung made a mistake of integrating it now in this implementation. :)

P.s. I didn't say that it was built into to display, I said they should have waited until that technology is ready, and at that moment put that in instead ;)


Edited by Chipsy - 4/4/14 at 3:34pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Video pits iPhone 5s Touch ID against Samsung's Galaxy S5 fingerprint scanner
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Video pits iPhone 5s Touch ID against Samsung's Galaxy S5 fingerprint scanner