or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Carriers suggest a big-screen 'iPhone 6' could be a 'very special' success in China
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Carriers suggest a big-screen 'iPhone 6' could be a 'very special' success in China - Page 2

post #41 of 124

I don't see the big deal here. What is the opposition to an Apple phablet? That Samsung came out with phablets first and you don't want Apple to be seen as emulating Samsung? Please. Samsung came out with phablets as a desperation ploy: they were getting hammered, probably barely breaking even on the writeoffs that the phones that weren't selling plus their massive advertising budget. The phablets not only were very successful for Samsung individually, but made the entire brand more attractive and helped increase sales for all their products. 

 

So Samsung discovered (or rather created) a market that people did not know existed. Big deal. All Apple has to do is come out with a better phablet. You see, Samsung's phablet is merely a bigger version of the same device. It is the same as their regular smartphones but with a bigger screen. Excellent sales gimmick targeted towards the "bling" mindset but not exactly innovation.

 

What Apple should do is come out with an innovation that makes the best use of the larger screen space and particularly the larger device size, as the larger device size should mean the ability to put better hardware in it. So, Apple could use the larger display and the bigger device size to come out with a true "tweener" device, an "almost" tablet that you can use to place and receive calls, not just a larger phone. They could leverage it being bigger than a phone in some ways (i.e. gaming, productivity for business users, etc.) but smaller than a tablet in others (i.e. taking pictures).

 

That is essentially what Amazon did with the Fire TV. The newer technology available meant no longer having build a set top box for streaming alone: you can fit all the streaming capacity that you need in a dongle like Chromecast and the Roku stick. So they kept the device at about the same size as a Roku 3 and Apple TV and used the extra space to make it a "tweener" or hybrid device: streamer plus mini-game console plus portal for the Amazon Cloud apps. 

 

So if you quit being averse to it simply because your hated rival had the idea first, you would see that embracing the concept actually offers Apple a chance to introduce almost an entirely new device, essentially an I-Pad Mini that is also a practical phone - instead of being just a bigger phone. Apple should CERTAINLY emulate what Samsung has done with phablets and Amazon has done with a gaming set top box, except do it better. 

post #42 of 124

"According to White, there's been a sense of "disappointment" among some Chinese carriers regarding customer demand for the iPhone 5s."

 

I will tell you something about the typical Chinese businessman.  If you ask them how business is, they will always tell you, usually with a sigh for full effect, "It's not that good".  Why?  First of all, crowing about how great you're doing is bad form in the Asian Pacific rim cultures (where I grew up).  Second, why reveal to your suppliers (especially one as big and profitable as Apple) how well you're doing and weaken your negotiating position?  And third, there's always the taxman to consider.

 

And you're some person they don't know asking about how their businesses are doing?  Expect nothing other than the full sad sack routine.

post #43 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Most people didn't spend hours staring at the display of their Motorola Razr which is why smaller was a good thing back then.  People now spend a lot of time staring at the screen on smartphones which is why bigger is a good thing now. 

I did. I played those Java games on the RAZR. For hours. I texted. I even had an IM chat client installed. I never once felt the screen needed to bigger.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #44 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post
 

 

That still hasn't stopped Apple from modifying its specs... upward.

but they don't upgrade to compete with the competition... they upgrade when the price/performance/weight/battery-load works AND it solves a user problem.

 

When was the last time you saw apple talk about RAM and ghz in a presentation?   Even 64bits was about performance... they didn't talk about 'wow, we can address Petabytes of Virtual Memory'  they talked about how fast the thing ran.

 

How it performs in your hand is the only spec that matters.

post #45 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post
 

Specs aren't where apple fights it's wars... performance on the job is the critical measure.

 

doubling storage goes against apple ecosystem model, esp. on the phone.  

 

Same reason why apple doesn't build a phablet.   

 

On the CPU I agree. Apple offers a lower clocked but far more efficient CPU. But we are talking about storage. How exactly can you justify Apple sticking with the exact same storage especially now that the camera and video needs far more storage than than the iPhone 3's camera? Are you suggesting Apple never upgrade their storage and if that is not your position then when should they? 2016, 2018? 

post #46 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post
 

but they don't upgrade to compete with the competition... they upgrade when the price/performance/weight/battery-load works AND it solves a user problem.

 

When was the last time you saw apple talk about RAM and ghz in a presentation?   Even 64bits was about performance... they didn't talk about 'wow, we can address Petabytes of Virtual Memory'  they talked about how fast the thing ran.

 

How it performs in your hand is the only spec that matters.

 

... and that wasn't my point.

 

My point is that Apple does increase spec... and I don't believe for a minute it's only when it works for them. Competition does play into it to some degree.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #47 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post
 

 

On the CPU I agree. Apple offers a lower clocked but far more efficient CPU. But we are talking about storage. How exactly can you justify Apple sticking with the exact same storage especially now that the camera and video needs far more than the iPhone 3's camera? Are you suggesting Apple never upgrade their storage and if that is not your position then when should they? 2016, 2018? 

Justification:  802.11ac, LTE/commodity pipes, and the cloud.    It's the endgame of the the iCloud model.... "All your data are belong to us!"

 

and I didn't say never... I just said goes against the model.... they will go to larger memory once the price/perf/size/battery-drain fits.  

post #48 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post


I did. I played those Java games on the RAZR. For hours. I texted. I even had an IM chat client installed. I never once felt the screen needed to bigger.

And I am sure you were not alone but guess what, that RAZR you spent hours looking at also had one of the largest screen at the time. It was considered small due to how thin it was but when it came to dumb phones the display size was not small. If you really wanted small you would have chosen the Sony T616. Your RAZR was a phbalet compared the the Sony. 

post #49 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post
 

That is a well thought out argument. And I agree with the bezel comment, because they really like one-handed operation, and 4" is pretty much the limit for that, so if they are going to go to 4.5" they must be going to reduce the bezel at the same time to allow the thumb to reach further.

But they may not be limiting themselves to one handed operation. I completely see what Sol is saying but I am wondering if the market hasn't changed over the years and there are many people for whom the iPhone will be their only computer, specially in the Asian market. If Apple is interested in bringing out a larger screened iPhone, could they rethink resolution altogether and transition to a higher resolution across all devices that will accommodate a larger iPhone without having to scale up the present 5s? If so, that could open the possibilities for a larger iPad and a larger iPhone at full retina resolution. The new versions of the present sizes would need a higher resolution screen. Apps would slowly transition to the new format. Would it be possible for a device with a lower resolution to satisfactorily display a higher res app? 

post #50 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post
 

but they don't upgrade to compete with the competition... they upgrade when the price/performance/weight/battery-load works AND it solves a user problem.

 

When was the last time you saw apple talk about RAM and ghz in a presentation?   Even 64bits was about performance... they didn't talk about 'wow, we can address Petabytes of Virtual Memory'  they talked about how fast the thing ran.

 

How it performs in your hand is the only spec that matters.

Yeah and I never said otherwise. You were the one that brought in the argument saying Apple doesn't go to war on specs. Apple will make improvements as they always do based on the needs of Apple customers and any technical or price hurdles. I have a 64GB iPhone and I am not even a heavy user of photos or videos and my iPhone is nearly full. After 7 years I think it is about time Apple introduced a 128GB option. 

post #51 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post
 

 

... and that wasn't my point.

 

My point is that Apple does increase spec... and I don't believe for a minute it's only when it works for them. Competition does play into it to some degree.

Your belief and my opinion differ.   and i believe wholeheartedly that specs are for techs.   

 

Show me one apple ad that says... 'Other phones suck because they don't have NNN spec!"   Even Retina display was not about 326dpi (or whatever... see, it doesn't matter), it was about the 'clearest crispest image on a phone'   That people buy.   Even then they don't fight on Spec, they fight on function... so if you're saying 'when it works for them' means that,  of course they introduce newer, faster, more performing technology... but they don't do it as marketing checkbox, and hope it makes a difference in a sale or an app.   

 

The 'competition does come playing into play' is when Apple can build a handset that a developer can build a capability or a responsiveness that Apple can hold a competitors phone and say 'Their's performs like crap'   Then they put that app up on the stage and market the hell out of it.

post #52 of 124

I am much less interested in having a larger screen phone than my current iPhone (5s) than I am interested in how it would be implemented. To just say "a bigger screen" to me, means nothing. Is it sharper at all viewing angles? Have they thwarted the battery drain a larger screen would require while still increasing the batter life compared to the 5s and keep it thin? How about the heat? How about the ratio (16x9 and narrow or will it go wider)?

 

To me, screen size is just a spec number. Those vary in importance to every individual user so it doesn't matter to everyone the same way. Spec numbers don't mean much to Apple user base, the implementation is more important – how it ties to a feature to be actually useful and not just something to brag about like Camera MPs.

 

However, if there is a reason, like if they add tactile feedback on/under the screen and want a wider keyboard for it – that makes sense. If the screen gets better for actual features instead of "now it's as big as other phones", then I can see it spurring upgrades from the install base.

 

Here's the thing though, I don't think Apple will get more sales out of "just" a bigger screen at at the end of all this. I think Android users making fun of apple's screen size would just find another spec to bitch about (nfc, MPs, "open") why they won't be switching and the iPhone users who envy the 5" screens will be nullified by those who would rather keep a manageable size for one handed oppression. If it happens I can potentially see people looking to upgrade going with a 5s (for it's size, abundance of accessories, cheaper price) just as much as those wanting the bigger screen (weather they have been waiting for that feature or just want a visual way to show people this is the "new" one).

It's only after you've lost everything that you're free to do anything.

Tyler Durden | Fight Club
Reply
It's only after you've lost everything that you're free to do anything.

Tyler Durden | Fight Club
Reply
post #53 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post
 

Yeah and I never said otherwise. You were the one that brought in the argument saying Apple doesn't go to war on specs. Apple will make improvements as they always do based on the needs of Apple customers and any technical or price hurdles. I have a 64GB iPhone and I am not even a heavy user of photos or videos and my iPhone is nearly full. After 7 years I think it is about time Apple introduced a 128GB option. 

Opinions vary.  Once I started using iCloud to store photos, and iTunes Match, I got 10GB free on my 32GB iPhone.  

 

I just think technically and strategically, it's easier to say 'No' to 128GB than to improve other facets of the phone/ipad hw base to support the end game of the apple ecosystem, because in the end, all phones will be commodities, and storage is probably the most commodity of them all.

post #54 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post
 

Your belief and my opinion differ.   and i believe wholeheartedly that specs are for techs.   

 

Show me one apple ad that says... 'Other phones suck because they don't have NNN spec!"   Even Retina display was not about 326dpi (or whatever... see, it doesn't matter), it was about the 'clearest crispest image on a phone'   That people buy.   Even then they don't fight on Spec, they fight on function... so if you're saying 'when it works for them' means that,  of course they introduce newer, faster, more performing technology... but they don't do it as marketing checkbox, and hope it makes a difference in a sale or an app.   

 

The 'competition does come playing into play' is when Apple can build a handset that a developer can build a capability or a responsiveness that Apple can hold a competitors phone and say 'Their's performs like crap'   Then they put that app up on the stage and market the hell out of it.

 

Wow. You just love putting words in other people's mouths. When did I ever say anything about Apple advertising specs? Ummmm... oh yea... never.

 

... and it's always good to know that we can rely on you, an insider at Apple Inc., to provide us with the details as to why Apple does and does not do things.

 

By the way... I'm really curious as to how the 4" solved a problem over the 3.5" iPhone. I didn't know there was a problem with my Wife's 4s.

 

Oh boy...

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #55 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

How does he know the people aren't buying the domestic cellphones because they're domestic? Even if they have larger screens, maybe that's not the reason people are buying them, maybe they're just being patriotic.

One thesis I read that I can see the underlying logic in is that for people of modest means who cannot buy multiple gadgets and who want a more convenient input device the larger screen fills those multiple roles better than smaller devices. So the larger screen sized phones are a compromise for that one attainable device.

 

I can see that because if I were forced to distill down my 5s, iPad Air and MacBook Pro into one mobile device I'd probably choose a Retina LTE iPad Mini over an iPhone myself... a loss in convenient mobility for better content creation capability...

post #56 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

Your belief and my opinion differ.   and i believe wholeheartedly that specs are for techs.   

Show me one apple ad that says... 'Other phones suck because they don't have NNN spec!"   Even Retina display was not about 326dpi (or whatever... see, it doesn't matter), it was about the 'clearest crispest image on a phone'   That people buy.   Even then they don't fight on Spec, they fight on function... so if you're saying 'when it works for them' means that,  of course they introduce newer, faster, more performing technology... but they don't do it as marketing checkbox, and hope it makes a difference in a sale or an app.   

The 'competition does come playing into play' 
is when Apple can build a handset that a developer can build a capability or a responsiveness that Apple can hold a competitors phone and say 'Their's
 performs like crap'   Then they put that app up on the stage and market the 
hell out of it.

Whether you define it simply by a number or you regurgitate the marketing line, a spec is a spec, and it is important in selling a phone. Apple bumps the specs of the iPhone annually because the competition does the same. Apple can't be left behind in that regard. This fall when Apple releases the A8 in a new phone it won't be because the A7 is insufficient in its own right; the A7 is an incredibly capable chip. Rather the A8 will be used because Apple's competitors will be releasing phones with faster chips.
post #57 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by websnap View Post
 

I am much less interested in having a larger screen phone than my current iPhone (5s) than I am interested in how it would be implemented. To just say "a bigger screen" to me, means nothing. Is it sharper at all viewing angles? Have they thwarted the battery drain a larger screen would require while still increasing the batter life compared to the 5s and keep it thin? How about the heat? How about the ratio (16x9 and narrow or will it go wider)?

 

To me, screen size is just a spec number. Those vary in importance to every individual user so it doesn't matter to everyone the same way. Spec numbers don't mean much to Apple user base, the implementation is more important – how it ties to a feature to be actually useful and not just something to brag about like Camera MPs.

 

However, if there is a reason, like if they add tactile feedback on/under the screen and want a wider keyboard for it – that makes sense. If the screen gets better for actual features instead of "now it's as big as other phones", then I can see it spurring upgrades from the install base.

 

Here's the thing though, I don't think Apple will get more sales out of "just" a bigger screen at at the end of all this. I think Android users making fun of apple's screen size would just find another spec to bitch about (nfc, MPs, "open") why they won't be switching and the iPhone users who envy the 5" screens will be nullified by those who would rather keep a manageable size for one handed oppression. If it happens I can potentially see people looking to upgrade going with a 5s (for it's size, abundance of accessories, cheaper price) just as much as those wanting the bigger screen (weather they have been waiting for that feature or just want a visual way to show people this is the "new" one).

Being seriously myopic here. If you deny that there is a market for bigger phones, then why not apply the same to tablets and PCs? Should Apple end the I-Pad line and only sell I-Pad minis? Should their PCs have no screen sizes larger than 13 inches because anyone who wants something bigger can just mirror their screens on an HDTV? Of course not. It is just another option available for people who want it.

 

It is not just the bigger screen but the implementation? My point exactly. Apple should come out with a real phablet, a legitimate hybrid or tweener device, instead of just a bigger phone that is called a phablet. 

 

And it isn't about shutting up the Android people. Like it or not, there are people who actually LIKE the Android OS. Android has its fans. Big deal. But there is nothing keeping Apple from making a phablet for A) Apple fans who want one and B) people who want a phablet and don't care who makes it. The goal here is not just to get Android users to switch. Get it into your thinking: Apple is never going to crush Android, not through lawsuits or any other means. Some people - lots of people - legitimately like Android just as they legitimately liked Wintel in the 1990s and 2000s. And people who can't or don't want to pay Apple's prices will always choose an Android device over not having one at all. Instead, the goal is to offer an Apple phablet for people who wants phablets. Samsung has proven that a large, lucrative phablet market exists so why not make money servicing that market? This is not the same as wearables, a product looking for a market. This is something for which a proven market already exists, and moreover is just a version of what Apple already makes a mint off. The only reason not to do it is because Samsung did it first. Big deal. Other companies had MP3 players, tablets, smart phones and PCs first too. Apple just came along later and made theirs better.

post #58 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

Opinions vary.  Once I started using iCloud to store photos, and iTunes Match, I got 10GB free on my 32GB iPhone.  

I just think technically and strategically, it's easier to say 'No' to 128GB than to improve other facets of the phone/ipad hw base to support the end game of the apple ecosystem, because in the end, all phones will be commodities, and storage is probably the most commodity of them all.

I agree but I do think we might be hitting the wall at the low end with 16GB (especially with the size of the last OTA updates) and it's been several years since they doubled the capacity so I think we could see that this year.

I don't agree with @gwmac's wording of "After 7 years I think it is about time Apple introduced a 128GB option." He makes it sound like we've been stuck at 64GB for 7 years now or that 128GB was somehow possible back in 2007.

I whipped up this chart to show the relative time between capacity doubling in the various models…


We might assume that the exponentially of this effect may also includes the additional time between doubling of capacity or think that Apple would rather wait for a tock instead of introducing it with a new design.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #59 of 124

I'll be getting an iPhone 6 no matter what size the screen is since my contract will be up and AT&T doesn't have a discount for off contract phones. I don't like paying a full monthly bill unless it is for a new subsidized phone. I have a 64GB right now and I haven't even begun to fill it up so I probably won't bother with the 128 even if it is offered. One nice thing about AT&T though, is that they let you unlock your old phone after the contract is up, which allows me to upgrade my international phone using the recently replaced phone. In this case my iPhone 5 will become my new international phone.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #60 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I'll be getting an iPhone 6 no matter what size the screen is since my contract will be up and AT&T doesn't have a discount for off contract phones. I don't like paying a full monthly bill unless it is for a new subsidized phone. I have a 64GB right now and I haven't even begun to fill it up so I probably won't bother with the 128 even if it is offered. One nice thing about AT&T though, is that they let you unlock your old phone after the contract is up, which allows me to upgrade my international phone using the recently replaced phone. In this case my iPhone 5 will become my new international phone.

Any reason not to jump to Verizon where the GSM is already unlocked so you can use just the one device in and out US when you travel?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #61 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Any reason not to jump to Verizon where the GSM is already unlocked so you can use just the one device in and out US when you travel?

I need two phones while in Central America, so my stateside contacts can continue to call me on my regular number, plus a local number for my local contacts, and we are on a group plan with AT&T.

 

BTW does Verizon iPad also have GSM capability?

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #62 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post


Well if it's that simple, why are we getting it in 2014 and not 2012 or 2013? Unless Apple leadership thought the large screen phones were a fad that would die out?

I think we're seeing (now and in the future) Android/Samsung's vast ideas and product launches as a TEST bed for potential successful implementation.

 

NOTHING is wrong with Apple proactively learning from the environment (i.e. Android/Samsung), taking the best ideas and then improving them.  Why make millions when you can make billions?!  :-)

 

Don't forget that both the iPod and the iPhone were merely ideas and products that already existed in some form (beta or otherwise).  Its genius was in implementation, cohesiveness, "just works" functionality and design.

 

In short, don't expect Apple to prematurely excrete a plethora of half-assed devices.  Leave that to samsung.

 

If a larger screen iPhone is not launched in 2014, however, that indeed would be bad for Apple.

post #63 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Well if it's that simple, why are we getting it in 2014 and not 2012 or 2013? Unless Apple leadership thought the large screen phones were a fad that would die out?

It's easier to engineer for and until now simply more profitable for them to use one or two basic shells to cover their entire smartphone line. I'd guess Apple has realized for some time there's a large market for a 4.7" + smartphone but why not milk what they had for as much as they could wring out of it? With dropping prices for the entire category and fewer willing to compromise on what they want now is probably a good time to expand their offers. That's my opinion.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #64 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I need two phones while in Central America, so my stateside contacts can continue to call me on my regular number, plus a local number for my local contacts, and we are on a group plan with AT&T.

BTW does Verizon iPad also have GSM capability?

1) Have you considered a US work option like Google Voice that can then easily forward alms to different numbers? I'm thinking that if it works internationally it might save you some money and clutter.

2) I think the iPads also work that way but I am not certain.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #65 of 124
I wish AI would follow iMore's lead. Quit reporting analysis and checks from financial analysts. Their interest isn't in helping consumers make better decisions, it's to move the stock and benefit their clients period.

http://www.imore.com/reminder-financial-analysts-want-move-apples-stock-price-not-inform-its-customers
post #66 of 124

so first, it was that it was not sold on every telecom there - moved on to, there was a need for a cheaper version... now a bigger screen. Anyone that thinks young people are buying Xiaomi because the iPhone does not have a bigger screen (or was not in China mobile or they all cant afford it) have not been to China lately. That team is doing a great job over there.

post #67 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
 
1) Have you considered a US work option like Google Voice that can then easily forward alms to different numbers? I'm thinking that if it works internationally it might save you some money and clutter.

It really isn't too much trouble the way I do it now. I have no idea how Google Voice works, but I assume I would need a new phone number from them which is too much trouble since everyone already has my current numbers. I don't carry my international phone when in the states nor I do "carry, carry" my stateside phone when in Central America. I leave it in my car or on the kitchen counter. I mostly communicate using Skype when I need to call internationally, but as a courtesy to my stateside contacts, I like to know when they tried to reach me by phone.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #68 of 124
I've been saying in this forum for ages, from my vantage point in Asia, that Apple is being wiped out by the big screen Android phones. They should have reacted years ago and released a big screen phone. Seeing iPhones in the hands of people in Hong Kong is rare nowadays. Unless the iPhone 6 is big and innovative it won't do that well.
post #69 of 124
Originally Posted by Lerxt View Post
Unless the iPhone 6 is big and innovative it won't do that well.

 

Sure thing¡

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #70 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

It really isn't too much trouble the way I do it now. I have no idea how Google Voice works, but I assume I would need a new phone number from them which is too much trouble since everyone already has my current numbers. I don't carry my international phone when in the states nor I do "carry, carry" my stateside phone when in Central America. I leave it in my car or on the kitchen counter. I mostly communicate using Skype when I need to call internationally, but as a courtesy to my stateside contacts, I like to know when they tried to reach me by phone.

You don't need a new number, and your 'number' can ring wherever you want it to.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #71 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerxt View Post

Unless the iPhone 6 is big and innovative it won't do that well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Sure thing¡

We've heard that every… single… year since LTE-based phones tried to one-up the iPhone but were forced to then use a larger display to hide the larger components and battery. I don't think it's impossible but like FireTV it's great to have specs but most people want something that works for them not something they have to constantly work. This is especially true of a handset which is why the iPhone continues to dominate the world's handset market with it's best-in-class UX and why it's the device all others are measured against. I think a larger display would be nice and I think it's possible this year, so long as the display is bigger, not the device, at least not outside of reason like we see with this large, thick, 5"+ devices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

You don't need a new number, and your 'number' can ring wherever you want it to.

Same number, too? I have a free number setup specifically to give on everyone-whom-isn't-a-friend-or-relative that will auto-forward to my cell. I wasn't aware of a technique to have someone call you at your cell which then reroutes over IP and then calls your cell in another country with local charges (unless I'm misunderstanding which I think is very likely).

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #72 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 
Originally Posted by Lerxt View Post
Unless the iPhone 6 is big and innovative it won't do that well.

 

Sure thing¡

Well, perhaps he meant in Hong Kong, which might be true and since we are not there, there is no way for us to know if his street impressions are accurate or not. For what it's worth my impression in Central America is that it is 90% Android or feature phone. Mostly only wealthy people have iPhones. There are no subsidies.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #73 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post
 

 

Wow. You just love putting words in other people's mouths. When did I ever say anything about Apple advertising specs? Ummmm... oh yea... never.

 

... and it's always good to know that we can rely on you, an insider at Apple Inc., to provide us with the details as to why Apple does and does not do things.

 

By the way... I'm really curious as to how the 4" solved a problem over the 3.5" iPhone. I didn't know there was a problem with my Wife's 4s.

 

Oh boy...

 

The 4" display changed the aspect ratio from the 3.5" displays 3:2 to 16:9.  This was an important change for viewing HD video; notice how none of the 4" display is letterboxed versus the intrusive letter boxing on the iPhone 4/4S 3.5" display.

I have enough money to last the rest of my life. Unless I buy something. - Jackie Mason
Never own anything that poops. - RadarTheKat
Reply
I have enough money to last the rest of my life. Unless I buy something. - Jackie Mason
Never own anything that poops. - RadarTheKat
Reply
post #74 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post
 

One thesis I read that I can see the underlying logic in is that for people of modest means who cannot buy multiple gadgets and who want a more convenient input device the larger screen fills those multiple roles better than smaller devices. So the larger screen sized phones are a compromise for that one attainable device.

 

I can see that because if I were forced to distill down my 5s, iPad Air and MacBook Pro into one mobile device I'd probably choose a Retina LTE iPad Mini over an iPhone myself... a loss in convenient mobility for better content creation capability...

 

Larger displays are more attractive at point of sale.  Just walk into a Best Buy and browse the phones on sale.  You will be attracted to the phones with the larger displays (well, most people will be).  So Samsung and others take advantage of this.  It's only later when you try putting the darn thing in your pocket or when you feel foolish holding it to your face that you have second thoughts, but by then your money is on its way to South Korea.

 

I do think its a bit different for women as they often carry a phone in a bag and so a large size is not a disadvantage.  In any event, this whole meme surrounding screen size advantage will go away in six months after Apple takes away the last advantage Android phones can claim.

I have enough money to last the rest of my life. Unless I buy something. - Jackie Mason
Never own anything that poops. - RadarTheKat
Reply
I have enough money to last the rest of my life. Unless I buy something. - Jackie Mason
Never own anything that poops. - RadarTheKat
Reply
post #75 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadarTheKat View Post

The 4" display changed the aspect ratio from the 3.5" displays 3:2 to 16:9.  This was an important change for viewing HD video; notice how none of the 4" display is letterboxed versus the intrusive letter boxing on the iPhone 4/4S 3.5" display.

You think that was the reason for the move to 4"? To better watch certain videos on your cellphone? BTW, movies are not shot in 16:9 so why aren't we using CinemaScope or some other ultra wide resolution. At least when you view 16:9 on an ultra-wide display the video fits that height perfectly so you're not losing any of the size like you are with letterboxing the other way.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #76 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


I agree but I do think we might be hitting the wall at the low end with 16GB (especially with the size of the last OTA updates) and it's been several years since they doubled the capacity so I think we could see that this year.

I don't agree with @gwmac's wording of "After 7 years I think it is about time Apple introduced a 128GB option." He makes it sound like we've been stuck at 64GB for 7 years now or that 128GB was somehow possible back in 2007.

I whipped up this chart to show the relative time between capacity doubling in the various models…
 


We might assume that the exponentially of this effect may also includes the additional time between doubling of capacity or think that Apple would rather wait for a tock instead of introducing it with a new design.

 

It's been my theory that Apple will use a bump in minimum storage from 16GB to 32GB to raise the price of a larger display iPhone, thus offsetting the higher cost of materials in such an iPhone.

I have enough money to last the rest of my life. Unless I buy something. - Jackie Mason
Never own anything that poops. - RadarTheKat
Reply
I have enough money to last the rest of my life. Unless I buy something. - Jackie Mason
Never own anything that poops. - RadarTheKat
Reply
post #77 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadarTheKat View Post

It's been my theory that Apple will use a bump in minimum storage from 16GB to 32GB to raise the price of a larger display iPhone, thus offsetting the higher cost of materials in such an iPhone.

1) I could see Apple doing that and I don't expect a significantly larger iPhone that is sold along with a new 4" iPhone to be the same price or cheaper than the 4" flagship. I could make an argument for why they might do that but I think it's highly unlikely. I think they'd probably make it $100 more expensive like with the iPad line, and I could see double the capacity as being one way to account for the price jump.

2) So no capacity bump if they keep a 4" iPhone? How about an option for a 128GB model?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #78 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


You think that was the reason for the move to 4"? To better watch certain videos on your cellphone? BTW, movies are not shot in 16:9 so why aren't we using CinemaScope or some other ultra wide resolution. At least when you view 16:9 on an ultra-wide display the video fits that height perfectly so you're not losing any of the size like you are with letterboxing the other way.

 

I merely answered a question about what advantages the 4" display brought and that is an advantage.  In addition, the 4" display allowed Apple to go bigger in only one dimension, lessening the impact of needed changes to apps.  I do think Apple wanted to shift to the 16:9 aspect ratio and the iPhone 5 was their opportunity to do that.  We'll see that aspect ratio remain in future iPhones with larger displays.

I have enough money to last the rest of my life. Unless I buy something. - Jackie Mason
Never own anything that poops. - RadarTheKat
Reply
I have enough money to last the rest of my life. Unless I buy something. - Jackie Mason
Never own anything that poops. - RadarTheKat
Reply
post #79 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


1) I could see Apple doing that and I don't expect a significantly larger iPhone that is sold along with a new 4" iPhone to be the same price or cheaper than the 4" flagship. I could make an argument for why they might do that but I think it's highly unlikely. I think they'd probably make it $100 more expensive like with the iPad line, and I could see double the capacity as being one way to account for the price jump.

2) So no capacity bump if they keep a 4" iPhone? How about an option for a 128GB model?

 

I agree we are certainly due a 128GB model, even if the display size remains 4".

I have enough money to last the rest of my life. Unless I buy something. - Jackie Mason
Never own anything that poops. - RadarTheKat
Reply
I have enough money to last the rest of my life. Unless I buy something. - Jackie Mason
Never own anything that poops. - RadarTheKat
Reply
post #80 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadarTheKat View Post

I merely answered a question about what advantages the 4" display brought and that is an advantage.  In addition, the 4" display allowed Apple to go bigger in only one dimension, lessening the impact of needed changes to apps.  I do think Apple wanted to shift to the 16:9 aspect ratio and the iPhone 5 was their opportunity to do that.  We'll see that aspect ratio remain in future iPhones with larger displays.

That change also helps them now if they do make a larger iPhone that increases in both dimensions. They couldn't have an iPhone 4.5" before that was 3:2. That would be way too wide.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Carriers suggest a big-screen 'iPhone 6' could be a 'very special' success in China
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Carriers suggest a big-screen 'iPhone 6' could be a 'very special' success in China