or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Email from Steve Jobs reveals Apple TV 'magic wand,' other future product ideas
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Email from Steve Jobs reveals Apple TV 'magic wand,' other future product ideas

post #1 of 112
Thread Starter 
An email Apple cofounder Steve Jobs sent to his top executives outlines the vision he had for the company in 2010, including future iPhone iterations, "Apple TV 2" and changes to MobileMe that hoped would leapfrog Google's cloud services.

iPad 2 3


The correspondence, submitted as evidence in the second California Apple v. Samsung patent trial, is bullet list of topics for Apple's Top 100, an annual meeting at which high-ranking employees gather to steer the company for the coming year. While just ideas and short notes, the email offers a rare glimpse into how Apple operates and, more importantly for Samsung, how it viewed competition.

As noted by The Verge, the Jobs email includes mention of a "Holy War" with Google. According to Jobs, this topic was the primary reason for the 2010 Top 100 meeting.

Even in 2010, Jobs was taking about the "Post PC era" and Apple being the first to get there with the iPad. He recognized the power of a tablet and a decentralized cloud-based ecosystem. Taking this idea a step further, Jobs noted that the "PC [was] now just another client alongside iPhone, iPad, iPod touch."

Everything was moving to the cloud, but Apple was behind after being caught in an "innovator's dilemma" regarding the Digital Hub concept, which put the PC at the center of a user's device universe. Microsoft and Google had a leg up in cloud technology, something that needed to be remedied.

Alongside the cloud initiatives, Jobs took special note of Apple TV, saying it needed to be a "must have" accessory for iOS devices. Once again, Apple sought to incorporate the set-top box into its iOS ecosystem, including expanded content, TV subscriptions and more. Mention was made of apps, a browser (presumably a Web browser) and a "magic wand," the latter of which may refer to this device, first uncovered by AppleInsider in 2009.

The full email is embedded below.

post #2 of 112
Great, Apple, just great. Now this email is going to be plastered all over the internet. I'm really beginning to think this lawsuit will end up hurting and embarrassing Apple more than any of their competitors. 1rolleyes.gif
post #3 of 112
And there's a reference to a cheaper iPhone straight, isn't there?
post #4 of 112
Roku CEO: Apple TV is essentially an accessory for the iPad.

SJ: Apple TV is a "must have" accessory for iOS devices

Guess the Roku CEO wasn't wrong all along. Time for some crow eating.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #5 of 112
Wow, he was really across the details. And to those who think Apple doesn't care about specs, well they might not market that way, but he was interested in keeping up at least.
post #6 of 112
Wow- what fun to read. I'm dying to know what "confidiential" is!

Liked "add content: NBC, Viacom, HBO. Subscriptions". They were thinking it then, likely just couldn't get it done. Doh.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #7 of 112
This is not the commandments...don't take this as god's word
post #8 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Great, Apple, just great. Now this email is going to be plastered all over the internet. I'm really beginning to think this lawsuit will end up hurting and embarrassing Apple more than any of their competitors. 1rolleyes.gif

What's in the memo to be embarrassed about? What I'm impressed about is how much of Apple's 2010 strategy contained in the email grew to fruition in the years following. It's the mark of the industry leader. Plans of the industry also-rans aren't so durable. They are often upset by the actions of the leader.

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

Reply

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

Reply
post #9 of 112
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
Great, Apple, just great. Now this email is going to be plastered all over the internet.

 

Plus to the sarcasm on this.

 
I'm really beginning to think this lawsuit will end up hurting and embarrassing Apple more than any of their competitors. 1rolleyes.gif

 

But not to this. Because their competitors will literally be creating IR sensor wands for their TVs, shoehorning Wii camera sensors into them to capture the input, and making abject fools of themselves. It’s going to be great.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #10 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

But not to this. Because their competitors will literally be creating IR sensor wands for their TVs, shoehorning Wii camera sensors into them to capture the input, and making abject fools of themselves. It’s going to be great.

It already exists.

"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #11 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Roku CEO: Apple TV is essentially an accessory for the iPad.

SJ: Apple TV is a "must have" accessory for iOS devices

Guess the Roku CEO wasn't wrong all along. Time for some crow eating.

But is it losing money? Doubtful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Plus to the sarcasm on this.

But not to this. Because their competitors will literally be creating IR sensor wands for their TVs, shoehorning Wii camera sensors into them to capture the input, and making abject fools of themselves. It’s going to be great.

You have sources at Sammy?
post #12 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Plus to the sarcasm on this.
So you think it's just fine that the whole world knows stuff like this:

5. iOS - Scott, Joz

Strategy: catch up to Android where we are behind (notifications, tethering, speech, ...) and
leapfrog them (Siri, ...)

I'm sure Google is getting a good chuckle over that one. And what exactly has Siri leapfrogged? Certainly not Google Now.
post #13 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

But is it losing money? Doubtful.

I never believed that for a second.

Edit: What's with my posts showing up twice?
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #14 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Wow, he was really across the details. And to those who think Apple doesn't care about specs, well they might not market that way, but he was interested in keeping up at least.

You still don't get it! Since Steve came back It never has been and hopefully never will be about the specs. It has been all about improving the performance and the end user experience which are not necessarily tied to hardware specs.

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Reply

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Reply
post #15 of 112
I wonder If this says "Confidential - Attorneys Eyes Only", why I'm able to read it today? It looks as if it still had roadmap data that could still be used by competitors. It's nice to read and see where Apple plan to be in the future but this is a trial on infringement. IMO some of the future looking line items should have been redacted!,
KennDDS
Reply
KennDDS
Reply
post #16 of 112
Most of it looks pretty standard but a few things that stood out to me were the following:

- create low cost iPhone based on iPod Touch to replace 3GS

They mentioned this in 2010 but perhaps they felt it was best to wait until a more appropriate time. Now that the iPod Touch sales have dropped so much, maybe that photo shown recently of the silver shell with the splits in it and marked as iPhone but shaped like the iPod Touch is finally it. $399 off-contract.

- tie products together to further lock customers into our ecosystem

This has been evident but now it's clearer that it's one of Apple's motivations.

- catch up to Android (notifications, tethering, speech ... )

There's confirmation about Apple copying Android notifications. It was pretty obvious at the time but also minor relative to the copying that went the other way.

- TV subscription, app, browser, magic wand?

After 4 years, they still haven't done any of this. I guess this is one of those areas where they won't do it until they can do it right. Getting the controls right from the sofa is key to most of this. Subscriptions and other content is down to the providers.
post #17 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Roku CEO: Apple TV is essentially an accessory for the iPad.

SJ: Apple TV is a "must have" accessory for iOS devices

Guess the Roku CEO wasn't wrong all along. Time for some crow eating.

I love the way people take things out of context.  Lets look at the entire quote:

 

"- Strategy: stay in the living room game and make a great "must have" accessory for iOS devices"

 

honestly, you are trying too hard.

 

"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
post #18 of 112
I'd love to know why Apple's legal tea couldn't keep this from being made public. It has nothing to do with the trial and if anything is just embarrassing to Apple. There's a reason these documents are marked CONFIDENTIAL.
post #19 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I'd love to know why Apple's legal tea couldn't keep this from being made public. It has nothing to do with the trial and if anything is just embarrassing to Apple. There's a reason these documents are marked CONFIDENTIAL.

I really don't think it's embarrassing. This type of correspondence is happening at all companies in every industry. I enjoyed reading it and id love to see googles and microsofts just for fun. Anyone with half a brain will realize that. The other half uses android, so who really cares what they think anyway.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #20 of 112
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
I'm sure Google is getting a good chuckle over that one. And what exactly has Siri leapfrogged? Certainly not Google Now.

 

Given that Google Now didn’t exist when they launched Siri, yeah, it did. 

 

You realize this e-mail is from 2010, right? You have to look at the timeframe.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #21 of 112

this case is about patents, right? I see nothing in this email of any help to Samsung. Why was this document even placed into Exhibit? Just to be a menance? 

"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
post #22 of 112
This lawsuit is a terrific way for Samsung to mine Apple's executive memos for new product ideas.

Coming soon: The Samsung Galaxy Wand.
They don't know what it does yet, but it will have the more cores and memory than any competing wand. Because that's all that matters in wands.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #23 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

I really don't think it's embarrassing. This type of correspondence is happening at all companies in every industry. I enjoyed reading it and id love to see googles and microsofts just for fun. Anyone with half a brain will realize that. The other half uses android, so who really cares what they think anyway.
At the bottom of each page is this: Highly Confidential - Attorneys' Eyes Only. I wonder who leaked this then? For me it's not the contents that are embarrassing but the fact it was made public. These things are labeled as confidential for a reason.
post #24 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

This lawsuit is a terrific way for Samsung to mine Apple's executive memos for new product ideas.

Coming soon: The Samsung Galaxy Wand.
They don't know what it does yet, but it will have the more cores and memory than any competing wand. Because that's all that matters in wands.

the $2B loss over this "patent"case looks like a better and better deal every day. 

"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
post #25 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

- TV subscription, app, browser, magic wand?

After 4 years, they still haven't done any of this. I guess this is one of those areas where they won't do it until they can do it right. Getting the controls right from the sofa is key to most of this. Subscriptions and other content is down to the providers.

I don't know what I was expecting, but I always imagined Steve Jobs' secret list to be more imaginative and inspiring. Guess even Willy Wonka has to put his pants on one leg at a time.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #26 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by snova View Post

the $2B loss over this "patent"case looks like a better and better deal every day. 

Don't worry.

Anandtech will make sure people focus on the megahertz race in wands. How else does one measure a product? It's design and quality?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #27 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

At the bottom of each page is this: Highly Confidential - Attorneys' Eyes Only. I wonder who leaked this then? For me it's not the contents that are embarrassing but the fact it was made public. These things are labeled as confidential for a reason.

Apple needs to get the attorneys who leaked this disbarred.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #28 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

It already exists.


Heh.
LG already has a "magic wand" remote for its newest "smart TVs," and having used it, I find it incredibly annoying and gimmicky. They adopted a "desktop OS" metaphor for their TV OS, with the remote/wand as a kind of "air mouse."

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #29 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

- TV subscription, app, browser, magic wand?

After 4 years, they still haven't done any of this. I guess this is one of those areas where they won't do it until they can do it right. Getting the controls right from the sofa is key to most of this. Subscriptions and other content is down to the providers.

I don't know what I was expecting, but I always imagined Steve Jobs' secret list to be more imaginative and inspiring. Guess even Willy Wonka has to put his pants on one leg at a time.

at least they had the sense to use some code names. They just did not take it far enough.  If they had all this would be gibberish. 

 

I'd start with code names for competitors.

i.e.

 

DespicableMe  = Google

Minion = Android

Gru = Sergey Brin

Kamino = Samsung

BuyNLarge = Amazon


Edited by snova - 4/4/14 at 9:10pm
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
post #30 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realistic View Post
 

You still don't get it! Since Steve came back It never has been and hopefully never will be about the specs. It has been all about improving the performance and the end user experience which are not necessarily tied to hardware specs.

How do you interpret this comment by Steve then, since he came back:

"iPhone 4 with better antenna, processor, camera & software to stay ahead of competitors until mid 2012"

https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.hipchat.com/9858/564763/EbGR9kXSYfwJJ2X/DX489%20Rev%2003-07-14.pdf

 

It's not "about" the specs, it's about making technology accessible to everybody, but to enable that, you need a certain level of specs. It's powerful CPUs and GPUs that enable more intuitive interfaces. 

post #31 of 112
TV SUBSCRIPTION!!!

3 years later still hasn't happened. Shame, 'cause if they had an all-you-can-eat TV subscription option for Apple TV that would provide them an opportunity to sell a fully fledged hardware TV product down the line. Try this: TV subscription package $40 per month on Apple TV (really it should cost $30, but they charge $40 when subscribing through Apple TV), or $599 up front for their TV plus $60 per month on a two-year contract and you get the iTV product plus the TV package. This way what's actually happening is the Apple TV customers who opt for the TV package are actually getting penalised by $10 per month unbeknownst to themselves, and customers who opt for an iTV think they are getting the TV for $20 per month plus the initial iPad-priced $599 entry fee. They think they are getting the TV for $1,079 when really they are paying $1,319. My thinking here is for that price I reckon Apple could produce one awesome TV. And they still play the marketshare game by continuing to sell Apple TV.

That's my thinking anyway.

Besides, what happens eventually in 15 years time when virtually every TV on the planet in living rooms is a smart TV? Couldn't a couple of these TV guys offer features in their TVs that equal the Apple TV and negate the need for someone to add such a box onto their set? Wouldn't this eventually kill Apple TV no matter what it tried to do? Or what if the top two or three TV sellers eventually joined forces by offering a service like a TV package or shared App Store via a software update? The likes of Apple would be kicked outta the living room. This is a tricky future prospect in my opinion. Apple need to seriously cut some deals and forge out that TV subscription plan. It's the only way they'll every be able to sell an Apple-quality television that people will lust after at a price within their reach.

Or what about a third option? Pay $99 for the TV plus $80 per month? Hmm... That'd three fine options to suit a lot of people. And in year three that monthly price could drop to $30 per month if you chose the iTV path? Business wise such a move would be sort of genius if I do say do myself. "You mean to say your iTV is only 2 years old and now your paying a smaller monthly fee for iTunes TV than I am for it on my Apple TV? That sucks! Yeah, I was thinking about getting an iTV myself anyway. No, seriously, I was."
Edited by Ireland - 4/4/14 at 9:56pm
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #32 of 112

Note: Jobs's description of the "Holy War with Google" was "all the ways we will compete with them" [emphasis added]. No mention of legal battles against them.


Edited by Cpsro - 4/4/14 at 9:53pm
post #33 of 112
Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post
Note: Jobs's description of the "Holy War with Google" was "all the ways we will compete with them." No mention of legal battles against them.

 

“BUT BUT BUT BUT NO! HOW WILL WE JUSTIFY SAYING ‘INNOVATE DON’T LITIGATE’ ANYMORE?!”

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #34 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

“BUT BUT BUT BUT NO! HOW WILL WE JUSTIFY SAYING ‘INNOVATE DON’T LITIGATE’ ANYMORE?!”

QUIET! Samsung's got that all covered with their marketing budget.

post #35 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

It already exists.

Does it vibrate?
post #36 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnd0ps View Post

Does it vibrate?

 

You're in luck.

 

Q: Does the PlayStation Move motion controller include vibration feedback?
A: Yes. The PlayStation Move motion controller includes vibration feedback in the body of the controller.

 

Source: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/09/07/playstation-move-the-ultimate-faq/

post #37 of 112
The "magic wand" is Amazons Fire remote. Unfortunately, it sucks.
post #38 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

It already exists.


This one looks like an actual wand from Harry Potter.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #39 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Wow, he was really across the details. And to those who think Apple doesn't care about specs, well they might not market that way, but he was interested in keeping up at least.

That's what is meant when people say Apple doesn't care about specs. They don't add specs just to check something off a list. They add specs that make the device work better. If that happens to also put them well in front of the competition in terms of specs they will then market that spec because it's good for business but their business is making the device better, not simply adding it so they can say it's better. That's all the difference in the world.
Edited by SolipsismX - 4/5/14 at 9:36am

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #40 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

TV SUBSCRIPTION!!!

3 years later still hasn't happened. Shame, 'cause if they had an all-you-can-eat TV subscription option for Apple TV that would provide them an opportunity to sell a fully fledged hardware TV product down the line. Try this: TV subscription package $40 per month on Apple TV (really it should cost $30, but they charge $40 when subscribing through Apple TV), or $599 up front for their TV plus $60 per month on a two-year contract and you get the iTV product plus the TV package. This way what's actually happening is the Apple TV customers who opt for the TV package are actually getting penalised by $10 per month unbeknownst to themselves, and customers who opt for an iTV think they are getting the TV for $20 per month plus the initial iPad-priced $599 entry fee. They think they are getting the TV for $1,079 when really they are paying $1,319. My thinking here is for that price I reckon Apple could produce one awesome TV. And they still play the marketshare game by continuing to sell Apple TV.

That's my thinking anyway.

Besides, what happens eventually in 15 years time when virtually every TV on the planet in living rooms is a smart TV? Couldn't a couple of these TV guys offer features in their TVs that equal the Apple TV and negate the need for someone to add such a box onto their set? Wouldn't this eventually kill Apple TV no matter what it tried to do? Or what if the top two or three TV sellers eventually joined forces by offering a service like a TV package or shared App Store via a software update? The likes of Apple would be kicked outta the living room. This is a tricky future prospect in my opinion. Apple need to seriously cut some deals and forge out that TV subscription plan. It's the only way they'll every be able to sell an Apple-quality television that people will lust after at a price within their reach.

Or what about a third option? Pay $99 for the TV plus $80 per month? Hmm... That'd three fine options to suit a lot of people. And in year three that monthly price could drop to $30 per month if you chose the iTV path? Business wise such a move would be sort of genius if I do say do myself. "You mean to say your iTV is only 2 years old and now your paying a smaller monthly fee for iTunes TV than I am for it on my Apple TV? That sucks! Yeah, I was thinking about getting an iTV myself anyway. No, seriously, I was."

In 15 years I don't expect TVs to be anything more than a panel of glass or other material not more than a few millimeters thick. It may not even need a power cable, and almost surely will not have much more in the way of connnectivity than a wifi chip in it. The "smart" part of a TV viewing experience will come from assorted Internet Wifi devices that beam images to it.

Most of my "vision" for the TV of the future is already in labs and/or working today in one small form or another, so 15 years out is a pretty conservative time span. As to every TV on the planet, that'll be a stretch and I'm sure will still see old CRTs in certain less-advantaged lands on this silly and unequal blue dot in the universe.
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Email from Steve Jobs reveals Apple TV 'magic wand,' other future product ideas