or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple unlocks new Copy Cat docs as evidence Samsung pilfered iPhone unlock

Apple unlocks new Copy Cat docs as evidence Samsung pilfered iPhone unlock - Page 6

post #201 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I've heard what Tim Cook said and none of it makes much sense to me. I just read on CNET that DisplayMate said the GS5 has the best display they've ever seen in a phone. There are larger screen phones that have just as good of battery life as the iPhone. And as long as Apple keeps the physical home button it will be difficult to make the screen bigger without making the overall device bigger. So when we get a bigger iPhone this year (which I'm 99.9% certain we will) what will the reason be? Did Ive find some magical way to make a 4.7" or 5" phone comfortable to use one handed? Or does Apple have some radical change to iOS that we don't know about? Or a display that will blow away the competition?

Basically it seems like you're saying Apple hasn't made a larger screen iPhone (until presumably this year) because it wasn't profitable enough to do so. Which is fine, but it goes against what Ive (and Cook) have said about Apple's North Star being about making the best products, not about money.

So is the old Rogifan being treated well? Have you spoken with his family? Or did you just pay him off and he left for the Cayman Islands? You can tell us, really.
post #202 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emes View Post

And therein you have the problem. Apple -and it's fans- have waaaay too much pride.

Where do think the modern industry would be if whoever invented ABS sued everyone who used it? Or if architects sued over a particular building method?

How do you think all these huge furniture designers feel about IKEA?

Shouldn't open your mouth about things if you don't know what you're talking about. There are a lot of patents involving ABS, and automakers do actually license them (both from each other and from component manufacturers like Delphi, Bosch and Seimens).

NOBODY has an overall patent on "ABS" just like nobody has a patent on "word processing" or "spreadsheets".

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

post #203 of 231
I dropped this thread with post #47 on page 2 and am amazed to come back and see it has stretched to page 6 with Rogifan still in the thick of it. Rogifan, dear, you remind me of my first wife. She always had to have the last word, too! But now it's early Monday. The weekend commercial break is over and we've all had a beer or a soda and popcorn and taken a leak or a dump. Time to get back to the trial later today so maybe we can have something new to argue about.

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

post #204 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

I dropped this thread with post #47 on page 2 and am amazed to come back and see it has stretched to page 6 with Rogifan still in the thick of it. Rogifan, dear, you remind me of my first wife. She always had to have the last word, too! But now it's early Monday. The weekend commercial break is over and we've all had a beer or a soda and popcorn and taken a leak or a dump. Time to get back to the trial later today so maybe we can have something new to argue about.

I respect when people are passionate about their points of view. That includes █████ even though I think his positions are usually deplorable.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #205 of 231
The company I work for (a FTSE 100 fmcg) has produced documents like the one Samsung has done about competitors IP and how it relates to current products. This is done as an exercise in the first round of can we invent around the patent or to add another layer of functionality to that patent which would then make it patentable in its own right. The existence of such documents doesn't automatically mean that there is wilful infringement/copying going on although Apple are quite rightly trying to make sure the jury see it that way.
post #206 of 231
Geez Daniel you should work for the Apple legal team. Great research!
post #207 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadarTheKat View Post

The question I would ask is, did Google patent their window shade or was it even patentable given what might exist as prior art? If so, then yes, they can make a determination as to whether Apple infringed their patent and, if so, sue for compensation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

People like to claim Apple has borrowed (or stolen) many deals from Android, to which. Have two questiions:

1. Why hasn't Apple been sued (or counter sued) for their "stealing"?

2. Are you sure Android actually had the idea first?

This is sort of related to both posts. I seem to remember Cydia had notifications before the standard iOS or Android implementations.

post #208 of 231
Quote:

Call it concern trolling if you want. I don't give a crap. And if you think a larger screen iPhone will take the wind out of Samsung, why did it take Apple this long to build one? Why did Apple allow Samsung to get as big as it is in the mobile phone market?

Apple didn't allow it to happen, Samsung's copying of  Apple's products made it happen.

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

post #209 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! You’re not making this up! Oh dear heavens, send the Indian Mafia after him! Samsung will make themselves a pariah in every country on Earth!

There really is an Indian mafia.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #210 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmm View Post

This is sort of related to both posts. I seem to remember Cydia had notifications before the standard iOS or Android implementations.
Nope. The Cydia folks may well have been influenced by the feature shown in an Android reveal several months earlier in Nov of 2007. The Cydia app you recall didn't come out until the following spring.
melior diabolus quem scies
post #211 of 231
Quote:

I've heard what Tim Cook said and none of it makes much sense to me. I just read on CNET that DisplayMate said the GS5 has the best display they've ever seen in a phone. There are larger screen phones that have just as good of battery life as the iPhone. And as long as Apple keeps the physical home button it will be difficult to make the screen bigger without making the overall device bigger. So when we get a bigger iPhone this year (which I'm 99.9% certain we will) what will the reason be? Did Ive find some magical way to make a 4.7" or 5" phone comfortable to use one handed? Or does Apple have some radical change to iOS that we don't know about? Or a display that will blow away the competition?

Basically it seems like you're saying Apple hasn't made a larger screen iPhone (until presumably this year) because it wasn't profitable enough to do so. Which is fine, but it goes against what Ive (and Cook) have said about Apple's North Star being about making the best products, not about money.

It is impossible to use the S5's fingerprint scanner one handed.

post #212 of 231
Quote:

This is an interesting point. While there have been phones like the GS3/4 Mini they have been junk. They weren't a smaller version of the flagship - they were also crippled in terms of features, performance and quality. I have never seen a compact Android phone with a top-end processor or screen quality of a flagship.

I'm wondering, do Android venders assume that nobody would buy a smaller premium device? Apple sells them by the gazillions, so why aren't they attacking Apple in this market?

Apple's marketing research found there's no growth to speak of in smaller phones. The fastest growing segment is the 4.5" and up devices. I would imagine other manufactures would have come to the same conclusion in their market research. You'll see a few "minis", two recent ones from Samsung and HTC for instance, but it's just not where the big numbers are even according to Apple's own folks.
post #213 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emes View Post

Is it just me, or does anyone else get confused between 5s and S5?

Indeed; Samsung yet again trying to sully the waters.
Post from mstone to Benjamin Frost - "Perhaps that explains your lack of mental capacity. If I was your brother, I probably would have repeatedly smashed the side of your head with a cricket bat."
Post from mstone to Benjamin Frost - "Perhaps that explains your lack of mental capacity. If I was your brother, I probably would have repeatedly smashed the side of your head with a cricket bat."
post #214 of 231
Quote:

This part makes sense to me. The case would be far too complicated and too long if Apple used more patents (say 20). Trials involving serial killers often break the cases down into smaller, more manageable trials instead of presenting ALL the evidence at a single trial.

The real problem isn't limiting patents - it's the time it takes to get to trial. A much better idea (IMO), would be to fast-track patent cases due to how fast the technology industry changes. It's ludicrous that Samsung can use IP for years before it gets to trial. If they had a fast-track system in place, Apple could have already completed several trials by now, with each one quickly deciding a few patents.

There's also much less of a chance of a mistrial with a smaller case. In a large, complex trial there's a greater possibility that one (or more) mistakes could happen which cumulatively could be enough to cause a mistrial. Look at Quinn last trial. They blabbed information about one of Koh's decisions to the press after she ruled they wouldn't let some POS Samsung phone that was nothing like an iPhone as evidence. In a long trial, how many more opportunities would Quinn have to introduce something they could use later to get a mistrial?

What you suggest is fine. I hinted at concurrent trials in my mention of multiple juries, but I agree that keeping the number of patents down may lead to less confusion. The thrust of my complaint was the yawning gaps between trials.
post #215 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

So is the old Rogifan being treated well? Have you spoken with his family? Or did you just pay him off and he left for the Cayman Islands? You can tell us, really.
I have no idea what you're talking about.
post #216 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

Apple didn't allow it to happen, Samsung's copying of  Apple's products made it happen.
I was responding to the comment that a larger screen iPhone will take share away from Samsung. Well if that's the case, then presumably had Apple released a larger screen iPhone in 2012 or 2013 Samsung wouldn't be as big as it is now because customers that wanted a larger screen phone would have gone with the better device - iPhone. But since Apple didn't offer that, Samsung stepped in, along with their huge marketing war chest.
post #217 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

It is impossible to use the S5's fingerprint scanner one handed.
And what does that have to do with Apple's reasons for making a larger iPhone? No one has yet explained how, in 2012 and 2013 Apple couldn't build a larger screen iPhone, but in 2014 they can. I'm not arguing for or against it - I'm quite happy with my 5S but also think it makes sense for Apple to offer multiple screen sizes like they do with iPads and Macs. I'm just interested to see how Apple announces this bigger phone to the world. Will there be something about this bigger phone that is so much better than the competition that it won't look like Apple is playing catch-up? I hope so. I'd love it if 2014 was 2007 all over again. 1smile.gif
post #218 of 231
Quote:

I have no idea what you're talking about.

I think Flaneur is expressing mild bemusement at the revelation of your gender, as one or two here seemed to think you were a guy.

Have you always been a member of the weaker sex?
post #219 of 231
Quote:

I was responding to the comment that a larger screen iPhone will take share away from Samsung. Well if that's the case, then presumably had Apple released a larger screen iPhone in 2012 or 2013 Samsung wouldn't be as big as it is now because customers that wanted a larger screen phone would have gone with the better device - iPhone. But since Apple didn't offer that, Samsung stepped in, along with their huge marketing war chest.

Before the iPhone launched Samsung was number two handset vendor in the world, behind Nokia and number one in the United States.

post #220 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Nope. The Cydia folks may well have been influenced by the feature shown in an Android reveal several months earlier in Nov of 2007. The Cydia app you recall didn't come out until the following spring.

Ah I was going from memory on that one. Thanks.

post #221 of 231
Quote:

Before the iPhone launched Samsung was number two handset vendor in the world, behind Nokia and number one in the United States.

In overall mobile phone market share I believe Motorola held the number two spot by quite a large percentage over Samsung, whose market share was falling, with Nokia #1 of course. In the smartphone category Samsung had an even worse showing, lumped into the "others" category". If you have something that disagrees and shows Samsung as more successful than any manufacturer other than Nokia at the time I wouldn't mind seeing it tho.

http://www.canalys.com/newsroom/64-million-smart-phones-shipped-worldwide-2006
http://www.gartner.com/newsroom/id/501734

Even as late as 2008 Samsung's smartphone sales were essentially non-existent.
http://appleinsider.com/articles/08/02/05/iphones_share_of_us_smartphone_market_rises_to_28_percent.html
Edited by Gatorguy - 4/7/14 at 6:12am
post #222 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

In overall mobile phone market share I believe Motorola held the number two spot by quite a large percentage over Samsung, whose market share was falling, with Nokia #1 of course. In the smartphone category Samsung had an even worse showing, lumped into the "others" category". If you have something that disagrees and shows Samsung as more successful than any manufacturer other than Nokia at the time I wouldn't mind seeing it tho.

http://www.canalys.com/newsroom/64-million-smart-phones-shipped-worldwide-2006
http://www.gartner.com/newsroom/id/501734

Even as late as 2008 Samsung's smartphone sales were essentially non-existent.
http://appleinsider.com/articles/08/02/05/iphones_share_of_us_smartphone_market_rises_to_28_percent.html

Notice I stated handset vendor, not smartphone vendor.

http://edablog.com/2008/02/21/nokia-strategy-analytics/

http://www.engadget.com/2007/07/13/samsung-passes-motorola-takes-number-two-market-share-spot/

I was slightly out on the US, that didn't happen until 2008

http://www.symbian-freak.com/news/008/11/samsung_became_the_number_one_handset_vendor_in_us.htm

Samsung's transition mirrors the general market move towards smartphones becoming a larger proportion of handsets sold.

Their rise to number one occurred pre-Android.

Edited by hill60 - 4/7/14 at 7:00am
post #223 of 231
Quote:

Notice I stated handset vendor, not smartphone vendor.

http://edablog.com/2008/02/21/nokia-strategy-analytics/

http://www.engadget.com/2007/07/13/samsung-passes-motorola-takes-number-two-market-share-spot/

I was slightly out on the US, that didn't happen until 2008

http://www.symbian-freak.com/news/008/11/samsung_became_the_number_one_handset_vendor_in_us.htm

Samsung's transition mirrors the general market move towards smartphones becoming a larger proportion of handsets sold.

Their rise to number one occurred pre-Android.

Yup, I did notice which is why I linked the market data for overall mobile phone sales before the iPhone's introduction which is what your original claim pertained to. I also added another link for smartphone specific share as simply a point of interest. Your linked source is noting market share after the iPhone was introduced which you didn't mention in the first post. Thanks for that data too tho.

BTW did you notice how Samsung unseated Motorola for first place in the US at the end of 2008? The same way they've unseated every other smartphone vendor now including Apple.

"...a broad device portfolio across multiple carriers, technologies and segments.... from high-end products such as the touch-screen Instinct to lower-end phones given free to customers who sign up with a particular carrier"

As DED would say, we've seen all this before.
Edited by Gatorguy - 4/7/14 at 7:16am
post #224 of 231
Quote:

And what does that have to do with Apple's reasons for making a larger iPhone? No one has yet explained how, in 2012 and 2013 Apple couldn't build a larger screen iPhone, but in 2014 they can. I'm not arguing for or against it - I'm quite happy with my 5S but also think it makes sense for Apple to offer multiple screen sizes like they do with iPads and Macs. I'm just interested to see how Apple announces this bigger phone to the world. Will there be something about this bigger phone that is so much better than the competition that it won't look like Apple is playing catch-up? I hope so. I'd love it if 2014 was 2007 all over again. 1smile.gif

Actually, just back in comment #197 of this comment thread I did exactly that (explained why, in 2012 or 2013, apple might not have felt ready to build a larger screen iPhone, but in 2014, with their sapphire deal, they are now ready.  Here's that post again so you won't have to scroll back to it:

#197:  Actually, a spreadsheet and some basic math skills can yield remarkable insights. For example, the current iPhone is 2.31" wide, but the display is 1.94" wide. If Apple were to extend the screen to the edges, using software numbing to ignore touch input at the edges, thus creating a virtual bezel (easily accomplished) and maintaining the display's current 16:9 aspect ratio, the screen could grow to 4.3" diagonal measurement without increasing the width of the handset. The top bezel could be shrunk to accommodate the greater height of this 4.3" display (perhaps this is why Apple moved the headset jack to the bottom back with the iPhone 5 in anticipation of decreasing the top bezel). With these changes you could have a 4.3" display in a handset the exact same dimensions as the iPhone 5 series handsets.

What's more, going side edge to side edge with a 4.85" 16:9 display would require Apple to widen the handset less than 1/5th of an inch. This iPhone would be slightly taller too, but at only about 1/5th inch wider it would still easily qualify for one handed use. So perhaps there is a reason Apple has waited; they didn't want to compromise on an edge to edge display being covered by gorilla glass, which falls at about a 6.5 on the MOHs hardness scale, versus 9 on that same scale for sapphire (diamond, by comparison, is a 10, the hardest substance known).

I have enough money to last the rest of my life. Unless I buy something. - Jackie Mason
Never own anything that poops. - RadarTheKat
I have enough money to last the rest of my life. Unless I buy something. - Jackie Mason
Never own anything that poops. - RadarTheKat
post #225 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadarTheKat View Post

What's more, going side edge to side edge with a 4.85" 16:9 display would require Apple to widen the handset less than 1/5th of an inch. This iPhone would be slightly taller too, but at only about 1/5th inch wider it would still easily qualify for one handed use. So perhaps there is a reason Apple has waited; they didn't want to compromise on an edge to edge display being covered by gorilla glass, which falls at about a 6.5 on the MOHs hardness scale, versus 9 on that same scale for sapphire (diamond, by comparison, is a 10, the hardest substance known).

And they don't necessarily have to literally go edge-to-edge. They could just use IGZO or some other new technology to get closer to the edge which will negate some of the width that is gained from the increased display width.

Increased height really isn't an issue and if it was they have enough room to play negate that by 100%.

post #226 of 231
Quote:

Technological advances and little to no compromises.
post #227 of 231
I just watched the movie Preditor and toward the end, Preditor uses Slide to Unlock feature on his wrist based computer. That is 20 years before Steve Jobs "invented" it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnfDXznMf0E&noredirect=1
post #228 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Gibson View Post

I just watched the movie Preditor and toward the end, Preditor uses Slide to Unlock feature on his wrist based computer. That is 20 years before Steve Jobs "invented" it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnfDXznMf0E&noredirect=1

I read Homer's Icarus and Daedalus, the Wright Brothers were a couple of thousand years too late.

A fictional representation is not a working implementation although it can provide inspiration.

post #229 of 231
Quote:

1) What @hill60 said.

2) Where does Preditor[sic] slide to unlock the device. Looks like he touches it and it pops open. If you really want to show something actually sliding to actually unlock a physical device then you missed the obvious one.

post #230 of 231
Quote:

You realize that means, nothing, right?

Also, if you have an issue with the slide-to-unlock patent, then take it up with the USTPO.  The fact is, the only thing that matters in this case is that Apple holds a patent on this, and Samsung copied it.  That part is indisputable.  Now, the issue is what are the damages?  That's the question being determined (among others, as slide-to-unlock is not the only patent at issue here).

post #231 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabe View Post

One important thing to keep in mind is that neither Samsung nor Apple can be reasonably accused of stealing an item if that item is not claimed to be owned by someone else. If either party copies and utilizes something first used by the other but not claimed as their intellectual property, there is no theft. So the answer to your first question is that unless the item has been declared as someone else's intellectual property, Apple is free to use it without being accused of stealing.
You seriously think it's not stealing to take ideas others already came up with before you and declare them “your intelectual property“?

A good patent gives the world something it truly didn't have before, whereas a bad patent tries to take away something the world already had.

Only because it is possible in a deranged world to patent ideas others came up with before you, that doesen't mean it's morally right to do so...
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple unlocks new Copy Cat docs as evidence Samsung pilfered iPhone unlock
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple unlocks new Copy Cat docs as evidence Samsung pilfered iPhone unlock