or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Google prepping 'Android TV' set-top box with stripped-down interface, voice input and notifications
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Google prepping 'Android TV' set-top box with stripped-down interface, voice input and notifications

post #1 of 151
Thread Starter 
According to supposedly leaked documents, Google is readying a new contender for the living room in Android TV, a set-top box with an easy-to-use card interface, voice controls, push notifications and more.


Source: The Verge


In a report on Saturday, The Verge confirmed rumors from October that said Google was looking to rebrand Google TV under the Android moniker. The new platform, however, is said to be much different from the company's Google TV flop and will be more in line with offerings from Roku, the Apple TV and the new Amazon Fire TV.

While the exact nature of the acquired documents was not revealed, quotes lifted from the papers suggest early drafts of promotional material:

Android TV is an entertainment interface, not a computing platform. It's all about finding and enjoying content with the least amount of friction." It will be "cinematic, fun, fluid, and fast.


Powered by Android, the experience is said to be more along the lines of a standard set-top box, not a blown-up version of an Android smartphone or tablet. To that end, Google is apparently moving to a card-based interface that looks to riff on the Apple TV's GUI.

One Google document claims it should never take users more than three clicks or gestures to get from the home screen to new content, The Verge said. In addition, the system will boast a universal search function that can quickly find content across content delivery services as well as individual apps.




Android TV is basically a stripped-down version of Google TV in that it eschews features like VoIP, cameras, touchscreens and NFC support for a simplified system with a built-in framework for third-party apps and content. As seen in the screenshot above, Google is already partnering with Internet streaming firms like Hulu to build out Android TV's initial offerings. In addition, Google will bring big screen access to its own apps like Google Play Movies, YouTube and Hangouts.

Hardware for the device was not outlined in the report, though voice search via a physical remote control is said to be an included option. Amazon recently unveiled an identical feature as one of the main draws of its $99 fireTV.

Finally, Google is expected to keep the Chromecast platform alive as a separate product offering, but this means app developers will need to create content for more than one platform.
post #2 of 151
Can't wait until the next Apple TV. Getting more excited everyday.

What was this article about again?

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #3 of 151
If it does't work the 1st time, change the name and try again...
post #4 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Can't wait until the next Apple TV. Getting more excited everyday.

What was this article about again?

How tired the current APPLE TV actually is?
 
Where's the new Apple TV?
 
 
(So Y is the new X?   Zzzzzzzzzz......)
Reply
 
Where's the new Apple TV?
 
 
(So Y is the new X?   Zzzzzzzzzz......)
Reply
post #5 of 151

BOOM!

Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #6 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

If it does't work the 1st time, change the name and try again...

 

This is way more than a name change, but I also this the name change will actually prove quite important for this product. Branding and naming matter. If iPhone was called the TX75LL390 it wound't have seemed anywhere near as accessible to consumers.

Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #7 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

BOOM!
Boom what? That Google leaked this right after Amazon announced their box? That the UI looks like Xbox? That's it's basically just copying what every other STB/console device does? Honestly I'd be curious to know how many people come home at night and curse their TV interface. It seems tech companies these days are tripping all over each other trying to find what the next big thing is. Yet none of them are doing anything that makes you go WOW or holy shit. It's all variants of the same things.

Though now that we're getting notifications on our phone, wrist and TV I expect Google to design a bathroom mirror that displays notifications. and maybe showers and refrigerators too. Make sure every minute of the day wherever you are you get notifications.

At what point do people start switching off?!?
post #8 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

This is way more than a name change, but I also this the name change will actually prove quite important for this product. Branding and naming matter. If iPhone was called the TX75LL390 it wound't have seemed anywhere near as accessible to consumers.
How is this different than what Amazon announced other than it's the Google play ecosystem rather than Amazon Prime?
post #9 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

According to supposedly leaked documents, Google is readying a new contender for the living room in Android TV, a set-top box with an easy-to-use card interface, voice controls, push notifications and more.

...

In a report on Saturday, The Verge confirmed rumors from October that said Google was looking to rebrand Google TV under the Android moniker.

....

Powered by Android, the experience is said to be more along the lines of a standard set-top box, not a blown-up version of an Android smartphone or tablet.

 

This can't be right.  The Verge needs to get thier stuff together.  DED, in a very lengthy article written almost a year ago, assured us that Google was ditching Android and trying to distance themselves from it.

"Proof is irrelevant" - Solipsism
Reply
"Proof is irrelevant" - Solipsism
Reply
post #10 of 151
http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/07/29/google-appears-ready-to-ditch-android-over-its-intellectual-property-issues
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #11 of 151
Here we go again. Yawn.

Go ahead Google, just add to the confusion for consumers who buy crappy Netflix boxes. I'll wait for something truly innovative.

We're ready Apple.
post #12 of 151
I hope Apple will release the new Apple TV before Google releases its copy.
Mac user since August 1983.
Reply
Mac user since August 1983.
Reply
post #13 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

How is this different than what Amazon announced other than it's the Google play ecosystem rather than Amazon Prime?
The big difference is Google didn't announce anything.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #14 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkichline View Post

Here we go again. Yawn.

Go ahead Google, just add to the confusion for consumers who buy crappy Netflix boxes. I'll wait for something truly innovative.

We're ready Apple.

When????
 
Where's the new Apple TV?
 
 
(So Y is the new X?   Zzzzzzzzzz......)
Reply
 
Where's the new Apple TV?
 
 
(So Y is the new X?   Zzzzzzzzzz......)
Reply
post #15 of 151

..but, but, Chromecast.

"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
post #16 of 151
I'll just keep my chromecast
post #17 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by snova View Post

..but, but, Chromecast.

It's understandable why Gogole would ditch GoogleTV. They created a horrible product and they are now scaling it back to a more realistic concept with a new name, but Chromecast has a modicum of success so why create this competitor to it. We know that Chromecast is really built from Android, not Chrome OS, so what is the key difference here? The HW? I don't get how this is going to help Chromecast going forward unless they are also ditching it in favour of Android TV.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #18 of 151
GoogleTV, Chromecast, Android TV....


That company is a disaster.
post #19 of 151

Screw them both and go with chromecast

post #20 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

The big difference is Google didn't announce anything.
Then I'm not sure what the BOOM is for.
post #21 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

If it does't work the 1st time, change the name and try again...

That's Business 101.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #22 of 151
Now here's a company that can't make up its mind.
post #23 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Then I'm not sure what the BOOM is for.
Nor do I
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #24 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Nor do I

I just took it as he was BOOMing the previous post by pazuzu.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #25 of 151

But the media and iHaters (some infesting this forum) all harped about GoogleTV (years ago) being the next "AppleTV Killer".  Where are they now?  

This is not a "new" contender.  Just lipstick on a pig.  Google will put it out, it will suck big time, and then they'll hope that people forget about yet another blunder this one-hit wonder product.

post #26 of 151
It "seems" to me that with regard to updating the Apple TV (and even to an extent launching the iWatch) Apple is letting all these companies fire their warning shots and establish themselves where they are so when Apple comes out with their update/new product there will be no mistaking where the innovation lies. Way back in 2006 and going into 2007 some of the same cries (even on this forum) were dropped for Apple to come out with their thing sooner rather than later to ward off the competitors trying to one-up them. Hopefully, history will be rhyming this year.

And hopefully this time they'll be able to stop the slavish copying after the fact.
You can't spell appeal without Apple.
Reply
You can't spell appeal without Apple.
Reply
post #27 of 151

All these streamer boxes are basically the same. Once the movie starts, you cannot tell the difference between them. The only differentiating factor is the menu system, which are all about the same too. FireTV has voice search, Google will certainly have voice search and Apple will as well with the next revision. I fail to see the difference except for brand loyalty. As soon as someone comes out with 4K then all the others will follow in short order. It is really about the decoder chips being available in quantity at an affordable price, before that will happen.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #28 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

All these streamer boxes are basically the same. Once the movie starts, you cannot tell the difference between them. The only differentiating factor is the menu system, which are all about the same too. FireTV has voice search, Google will certainly have voice search and Apple will as well with the next revision. I fail to see the difference except for brand loyalty.

The implementation and execution will be vastly different just as it is now with the Apple TV, Roku, and Google TV… as well as with Scientific Atlanta and Motorola digiboxes, and TiVo.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #29 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post
 

All these streamer boxes are basically the same. Once the movie starts, you cannot tell the difference between them. The only differentiating factor is the menu system, which are all about the same too. FireTV has voice search, Google will certainly have voice search and Apple will as well with the next revision. I fail to see the difference except for brand loyalty. As soon as someone comes out with 4K then all the others will follow in short order. It is really about the decoder chips being available in quantity at an affordable price, before that will happen.

 

Well, it's also about a couple of other things:

 

1) Content.

 

2) Affordable 4K monitors.

post #30 of 151
So is Google going to log all the viewing data into the user's gmail and search profile. That's going to cross the creepy line.
post #31 of 151

The only thing Google hasn't tried to clone from Apple is Steve Jobs himself. Crap...I just gave them an idea........

post #32 of 151
There's no great product or capability differentiation that currently exists among the competing suite of set-top boxes to include the Apple TV. Unless there is a breakthrough capability, I fail to see that any device regardless of brand will make a dent in the existing marketplace. If people say that Apple is not innovating then this charge also holds true for Google and Amazon- their TV devices are ripe-offs of existing r=technology. I'm waiting foe Apple to break this paradigm on the 2 June WWDC.
post #33 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Man View Post

There's no great product or capability differentiation that currently exists among the competing suite of set-top boxes to include the Apple TV. Unless there is a breakthrough capability, I fail to see that any device regardless of brand will make a dent in the existing marketplace. If people say that Apple is not innovating then this charge also holds true for Google and Amazon- their TV devices are ripe-offs of existing r=technology. I'm waiting foe Apple to break this paradigm on the 2 June WWDC.
i am not sure Apple will break that paradigm. The television experience is not one which offers much scope for groundbreaking innovation. The Apple TV is more about the ecosystem and services. But you do need new hardware to market your goods, and each new iteration needs to introduce new technology. That is a paradigm that will not change.
post #34 of 151

I'm not sure that's what the interface will look like. I think Microsoft actually patented that look.

 

EDIT: Yup, here it is http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-granted-us-patent-for-the-windows-8-start-screen


Edited by Emes - 4/6/14 at 9:01am
post #35 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It's understandable why Gogole would ditch GoogleTV. They created a horrible product and they are now scaling it back to a more realistic concept with a new name, but Chromecast has a modicum of success so why create this competitor to it. We know that Chromecast is really built from Android, not Chrome OS, so what is the key difference here? The HW? I don't get how this is going to help Chromecast going forward unless they are also ditching it in favour of Android TV.
It's not going to help anyone. I don't know of anyone using Chromecast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Boom what? That Google leaked this right after Amazon announced their box? That the UI looks like Xbox? That's it's basically just copying what every other STB/console device does? Honestly I'd be curious to know how many people come home at night and curse their TV interface. It seems tech companies these days are tripping all over each other trying to find what the next big thing is. Yet none of them are doing anything that makes you go WOW or holy shit. It's all variants of the same things.

Though now that we're getting notifications on our phone, wrist and TV I expect Google to design a bathroom mirror that displays notifications. and maybe showers and refrigerators too. Make sure every minute of the day wherever you are you get notifications.

At what point do people start switching off?!?

Here's what needs to happen:
If I say "I want to watch X-men", I want the device to query Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Crackle, Crunchyroll, etc for all shows that are "x-men" and return that in an unified interface. The Xbox 360 kinda does that. Not very well though.
Second I want a unified interface in which I can stop, play, skip, fast forward, rewind, record** and replay** anything that can be plugged into or streamed from this device. Hell I'll buy the first device that lets me record from any HDMI source and stream it to my Apple Toys. If I can't get a unified interface from the box, I at least want it streamed to a box that does.

I don't see anyone doing either. All the SmartTV's out there are horrible garbage that used Google's half baked GoogleTV(Android), so I don't see how Google can make it any worse or better without scrapping Android altogether, may as well scrap Android now before anyone actually uses it and we end up with another WindowsXP-security-swiss-cheese like current Android.

I'm not buying any TV boxes from anyone, nor am I going to pay the premium for a SmartTV until Apple shows it's hand. The current TV environment is a mess of incompatible junk that sucks on a HDMI port for it's single-purpose software (iTunes, Neflix, Amazon, Hulu, etc) and is otherwise only slightly more useful than cable/DTH boxes (which are super-slow, and can't stream to devices)

**I'm fully aware HDCP will not want this, but I'm not saying break HDCP, just use push it to the playback device.
post #36 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

GoogleTV, Chromecast, Android TV....


That company is a disaster.


Nexus Q???

post #37 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS11 View Post



Typical DED clickbait.

Thanks for your educational comment
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

The big difference is Google didn't announce anything.

While I like some of your intelligent comments on patents, you are being disingenuous thinking, Google didn't purposely announce this the same week,
post #38 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Though now that we're getting notifications on our phone, wrist and TV I expect Google to design a bathroom mirror that displays notifications. and maybe showers and refrigerators too. Make sure every minute of the day wherever you are you get notifications.
They got you covered. The Verge reports that, in Android TV,
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Verge View Post

Google is encouraging developers to only use notifications in very limited cases.
post #39 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

All these streamer boxes are basically the same. Once the movie starts, you cannot tell the difference between them. The only differentiating factor is the menu system, which are all about the same too. FireTV has voice search, Google will certainly have voice search and Apple will as well with the next revision. I fail to see the difference except for brand loyalty. As soon as someone comes out with 4K then all the others will follow in short order. It is really about the decoder chips being available in quantity at an affordable price, before that will happen.

But Apple TV is the only device that lets you mirror you iPhone/iPad content on you TV.
post #40 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It's understandable why Gogole would ditch GoogleTV. They created a horrible product and they are now scaling it back to a more realistic concept with a new name, but Chromecast has a modicum of success so why create this competitor to it. We know that Chromecast is really built from Android, not Chrome OS, so what is the key difference here? The HW? I don't get how this is going to help Chromecast going forward unless they are also ditching it in favour of Android TV.

They'll ditch it eventually.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Google prepping 'Android TV' set-top box with stripped-down interface, voice input and notifications