or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Google prepping 'Android TV' set-top box with stripped-down interface, voice input and notifications
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Google prepping 'Android TV' set-top box with stripped-down interface, voice input and notifications - Page 3

post #81 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I know that they weren't the only tablet available, but most people don't know tablets existed before the iPad. Low end has become synonymous with cheap crap, but in the purest definition of the saying it's just the lowest end. A airplane that's 35,000 feet in the air and on a incline has one end that's lower than the other, so the airplane has a low end. It's all a matter of reference.

I don't think anyone looks at cost, quality and value of a Boeing double decker jetliner on the running and considers it low end compared to a single engine Cesna in the air even though one is physically lower than the other.

With android being free and the ease and cost at which Android can be placed in a device that says it's a tablet it's unlikely the iPad, even at $499 USD was even even close to the low-end retail coat of tablets by the time it shipped in April 2010.

PS: What about those Chinese USB flash drives sold with pirated movies installed to be played on TVs that say they are tablets?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #82 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

PS: What about those Chinese USB flash drives sold with pirated movies installed to be played on TVs that say they are tablets?

Was that ever confirmed to be the case? I've only seen the single report of it with no corroboration from elsewhere that they actually counted as tablets. Maybe they do, i dunno.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #83 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Was that ever confirmed to be the case? I've only seen the single report of it with no corroboration from elsewhere that they actually counted as tablets. Maybe they do, i dunno.

I don't know. That's why I put it as a postscript but I should have also written "reportedly" since I can't reasonably state it as fact at this point.

All I do know is there is a a horrible discount between Android-based "sales" and usage compare to iDevices, which is much, much worse she we only look at tablets. These usage reports make me wonder why anyone pro-Android would even consider wanting to say Android is killing iOS. When WinPC dominates over Macs in the 90's the usage, apps, and everything else fell inline with that fact.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #84 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I know that they weren't the only tablet available, but most people don't know tablets existed before the iPad. Low end has become synonymous with cheap crap, but in the purest definition of the saying it's just the lowest end. A airplane that's 35,000 feet in the air and on a incline has one end that's lower than the other, so the airplane has a low end. It's all a matter of reference.
Fine. You want to alter the definition of low-end, then let's clarify further.

A large number of Android tablets sold are crap. Garbage. Useless.

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Reply

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Reply
post #85 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


I don't know. That's why I put it as a postscript but I should have also written "reportedly" since I can't reasonably state it as fact at this point.

 

Don't know if it's a fact, yet I've seen you post about it multiple times.  Strange.

post #86 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Fine. You want to alter the definition of low-end, then let's clarify further.

A large number of Android tablets sold are crap. Garbage. Useless.

I'm taking low end at face value, the simplest meaning of the words. I'm not the one altering its meaning.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #87 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I'm taking low end at face value, the simplest meaning of the words. I'm not the one altering its meaning.
So do you agree or disagree with me that a large number of Android tablets are useless crap?

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Reply

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Reply
post #88 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumjuan View Post


Nexus Q???

Did Google actually release it? 1biggrin.gif
post #89 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

That's Business 101.

Funny that Apple just did the opposite. Changed the product but kept the name (Apple TV).
post #90 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post


So do you agree or disagree with me that a large number of Android tablets are useless crap?

 

A large number of Android tablets are running an old OS on hardware that can't keep up with todays tablet needs.  In that regard, a large number of Android tablets are useless crap.  That said, there are also a large number of Apple tablets that are running old versions of iOS and have hardware that can't keep up with todays tablet needs.  In that regard, a large number of Apple tablets are useless crap.  Does that imply that the majority of either are useless crap?  Not in the slightest.

post #91 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

A large number of Android tablets are running an old OS on hardware that can't keep up with todays tablet needs.  In that regard, a large number of Android tablets are useless crap.  That said, there are also a large number of Apple tablets that are running old versions of iOS and have hardware that can't keep up with todays tablet needs.  In that regard, a large number of Apple tablets are useless crap.  Does that imply that the majority of either are useless crap?  Not in the slightest.

Bullshit! Apple doesn't sell a single iPad that doesn't run the latest OS and doesn't have very capable HW unlike the plethora of crap Android-based tablets being sold all over the world from vendors as new with HW that was never good enough for Apple and a version of Android that hasn't been new for couple years now.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #92 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

That said, there are also a large number of Apple tablets that are running old versions of iOS and have hardware that can't keep up with todays tablet needs.  In that regard, a large number of Apple tablets are useless crap.

What are those? Can you specify the model?

PS: I'm typing this on my iPad 2 running iOS 7.1.
post #93 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


Bullshit! Apple doesn't sell a single iPad that doesn't run the latest OS and doesn't have very capable HW unlike the plethora of crap Android-based tablets being sold all over the world from vendors as new with HW that was never good enough for Apple and a version of Android that hasn't been new for couple years now.

 

Bullshit!  (Sorry, I just wanted in on the excitement)

 

Anyways, I can buy a first generation iPad, for example, and because it's running on old HW and an old OS it falls under the category of useless crap in my book (which is admittedly subjective).  Who said anything about buying directly from Apple?  My point was about yesterdays OS on yesterdays HW being useless crap.

post #94 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post
 

 

A large number of Android tablets are running an old OS on hardware that can't keep up with todays tablet needs.  In that regard, a large number of Android tablets are useless crap.  That said, there are also a large number of Apple tablets that are running old versions of iOS and have hardware that can't keep up with todays tablet needs.  In that regard, a large number of Apple tablets are useless crap.  Does that imply that the majority of either are useless crap?  Not in the slightest.

 

Trying to move the goalposts again I see. Do I have to write this so a 5 year old can understand?

 

There are brand-new, latest model Android tablets (as in they were just introduced and aren't a 2-3 year old model that happens to sell for a cheap price now that the newer version is out) which can barely compete with an iPad 1 (which is now exactly 4 years old).

 

There are brand-new, latest model Android phones which are no better than an iPhone 3GS (which would have coincidentally also been 4 years old at the time of their announcement).

 

Or to make it even simpler: There are brand-new Android devices being sold which are useless crap the minute you first turn them on.

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Reply

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Reply
post #95 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

Bullshit!  (Sorry, I just wanted in on the excitement)

Anyways, I can buy a first generation iPad, for example, and because it's running on old HW and an old OS it falls under the category of useless crap in my book (which is admittedly subjective).  Who said anything about buying directly from Apple?  My point was about yesterdays OS on yesterdays HW being useless crap.

Apple (the vendor) is not selling iPads from 2010 to retail outlets for sale yet various vendors are selling cheap Android tablets to various vendors for sale. Your argument that being able to buy an unopened or used 1st ten iPad from some eBay, Craig's List, some paw shop or privately owned cellphones and beepers store is pathetic.

Here's a 7" Coby Kryos with an 800MHz ARM CPU (not even a good ARM CPU, 256MB RAM and 4GB of onboard storage running Android 2.3 and sold by Coby (the same company that made it), not some another seller via Amazon or someone looking to sell their used tablet. Note that this has only been available for sale since June 9, 2013 which is only 9 months 28 days ago. How long ago was Android 2.3 released?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #96 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

The only thing Google hasn't tried to clone from Apple is Steve Jobs himself. Crap...I just gave them an idea........

They are doing it already. But like The Boys from Brazil, they age at a normal rate, so it will be another 20 years before the first batch of Jobs clones can take their tech guru positions at Google.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #97 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


Apple (the vendor) is not selling iPads from 2010 to retail outlets for sale yet various vendors are selling cheap Android tablets to various vendors for sale. Your argument that being able to buy an unopened or used 1st ten iPad from some eBay, Craig's List, some paw shop or privately owned cellphones and beepers store is pathetic.

Here's a 7" Coby Kryos with an 800MHz ARM CPU (not even a good ARM CPU, 256MB RAM and 4GB of onboard storage running Android 2.3 and sold by Coby (the same company that made it), not some another seller via Amazon or someone looking to sell their used tablet. Note that this has only been available for sale since June 9, 2013 which is only 9 months 28 days ago. How long ago was Android 2.3 released?

 

Coby Kryos?  Who's that?  I think you may be the one making a stretch for an argument this time if you're trying to paint that Coby Kryos tablet as being a good representation of Android as a whole.  Also, it looks like it's running yesterday's HW running on yesterday's OS.  That would fall in line with what I was saying above yet somehow you think this doesn't?

 

Now, if you or Eric would like to go on a "a large number of Coby Kryos tablets are useless crap" campaign, then by all means be my guest.  You may not find too much resistance on that one.  Heck, you two might even be able to get away with a "most Coby Kryos tablets are useless crap" campaign!


Edited by DroidFTW - 4/6/14 at 10:16pm
post #98 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

Coby Kryos?  Who's that?  Also, it looks like it's running yesterday's HW running on yesterday's OS.  That would fall in line with what I was saying above yet somehow you think this doesn't?

You can't buy the original iPad from Apple (the vendor) but you can buy old HW with an outdated OS from other vendors all over the world. The fact you have never heard of Coby proves my point about Android-based devices and you wanting to include all iPads that have ever been sold and ever will be sold forever and ever so long as you can get someone on eBay or Craig's List to sell you a used one just proved the bullshititudeness of your previous comments.
Edited by SolipsismX - 4/6/14 at 10:22pm

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #99 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


You can't buy the original iPad from Apple (the vendor) but you can buy old HW with an outdated OS from other vendors all over the world. The fact you have never heard of Coby proves my point about Android-based devices and you wanting to include all iPads that have ever been sold and ever will be sold forever and ever so long as you can get someone on eBay or Craig's List to sell you a used one just proved the bullshititudeness of your previous comments.

 

So you feel that Coby Kryos tablets are an accurate representation of the Android tablet market as a whole?

post #100 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

So you feel that Coby Kryos tablets are an accurate representation of the Android tablet market as a whole?

Comparing the reported Android tablet sales v Android tablet usage it sure looks that way. It's certainly not the latest Samsung tablets that are setting the sales trend throughout the world.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #101 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


Comparing the reported Android tablet sales v Android tablet usage it sure looks that way. It's certainly not the latest Samsung tablets that are setting the sales trend throughout the world.

 

If Coby Kryos tablets are a fair example of Android tablets and Samsung tablets aren't, would you care to share a source which shows that Coby Kryos tablets are outselling Samsung tablets?  Just one would do.

post #102 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

If Coby Kryos tablets are a fair example of Android tablets and Samsung tablets aren't, would you care to share a source which shows that Coby Kryos tablets are outselling Samsung tablets?  Just one would do.

Moving the goalposts yet again, I see. Now you want not just this brand, but this particular model by this brand to show that it's outselling all Samsung tablets even though the argument stated is that cheap Android tablets (like this one example) are why Android-based tablet sales are high and yet their usage reports are so very low. Fucking pathetic!

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #103 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


Moving the goalposts yet again, I see. Now you want not just this brand, but this particular model by this brand to show that it's outselling all Samsung tablets even though the argument stated is that cheap Android tablets (like this one example) are why Android-based tablet sales are high and yet their usage reports are so very low. Fucking pathetic!

 

No no no.  You misunderstand.  I thought we were talking all Coby Kryos tablets vs. all Samsung Tablets too.  Where are you getting this individual model stuff from?  It should also be noted that you've been the one to name these companies.  You're the one who brought both of them up.  You brought up Coby Kryos as being a fair representation of an Android tablet while claiming that Samsung tablets aren't.  These are your statements.  I'm merely asking you to back up your statements with evidence.  I don't feel that asking for evidence to back up your claims is "fucking pathetic"

post #104 of 151
The issue of set top boxes may not be what Apple is up to at all. Given the net "out of band" model that is talked about there is another option. Apple headend device(s) to provide many of the services "locked" into other hardware products. Think about it. If Apple has been building out this network that is now known to deliver their exclusive content, why not circumvent most of the hardware upgrade cycle?

If I can upgrade services "in network" without hardware upgrades I can focus on revenue from content and enhanced services for my revenue stream. No less true for the cellular market where such a method is essential. This is a plan that makes sense and one the cable companies are all to familiar with in their endless incremental network upgrades. (The cable issues related to cable protocols.) The issue is not all IP or not, but service prioritization. In a more IP like structure MPLS would be a good architecture. ATM to cable head end to MPLS where traffic gets prioritized and on to the home or business. No need for a messy cable architecture that, while it is working, it is not consistent with other non cable networks and services.

Let's face it, ALL network traffic gets prioritized. It is the way the communications infrastructure works. Cable lacks many basic communication protocols that would benefit neutrality without the mess.
post #105 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

So you feel that Coby Kryos tablets are an accurate representation of the Android tablet market as a whole?

You can't just disown the cousin you think brings embarrassment to the family name.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #106 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

No no no.  You misunderstand.  I thought we were talking all Coby Kryos tablets vs. all Samsung Tablets.  It should also be noted that you've been the one to name these companies.  You're the one who brought both of them up.  You brought up Coby Kryos as a fair representation of an Android tablet while claiming that Samsung tablets aren't.  These are your statements.  I'm merely asking you to back up your statements with evidence.  I don't feel that asking for evidence to back up your claims is "fucking pathetic"

Oh, I understand what yore trying to do with your shell game logic but it's not going to work here. We are talking why Android tablets are mostly sold for well under $100 worldwide with old HW that predates the original iPad and using an version of Android that was designed and released for a smartphone many years ago. I clearly referred to various vendors and supplied an example because I like to back up my arguments with proof.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #107 of 151

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

You can't just disown the cousin you think brings embarrassment to the family name.

 

Agreed, you can't just say that the cousin isn't a part of the family, but you also can't say that the cousin is a fair representation of the whole family name.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Oh, I understand what yore trying to do with your shell game logic but it's not going to work here. We are talking why Android tablets are mostly sold for well under $100 worldwide with old HW that predates the original iPad and using an version of Android that was designed and released for a smartphone many years ago. I clearly referred to various vendors and supplied an example because I like to back up my arguments with proof.

 

So we're back to the 'tablets that run on yesterdays HW with yesterdays OS are crap' argument?  I agree with that one.  I believe I even said as much earlier.


Edited by DroidFTW - 4/6/14 at 11:06pm
post #108 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


I'm taking low end at face value, the simplest meaning of the words. I'm not the one altering its meaning.

 

So, the Sharp 4K monitor they are selling to go with the Mac Pro in the Apple Store is "low end" because it's the only one?

 

I dunno, but $3,600 for a 32" display doesn't really sound "low end" to me.

post #109 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post
 

 

So you feel that Coby Kryos tablets are an accurate representation of the Android tablet market as a whole?

 

You are deliberately being obtuse, right?

 

You said you can buy a first generation iPad, which won't run iOS 7.1 officially.

The point SolipsismX is making is that you cannot 'officially' buy a first gen. iPad since Apple does not sell any.

 

Your point is about as valid as buying an Apple ][ from somewhere and saying it doesn't run Mavericks and then say the Apple ][ is crap.

 

SolipsismX gave you a link to a tablet that is manufactured by a company that has been on sale since less than a year ago, which runs Android 2.3.

 

You are implying that it isn't representative of Android as a whole, but isn't each one of these tablets sold by Coby counted in the Android Market Share?

 

Your initial argument was about how iPads are also crap tablets since they do not have the latest iOS and you provide a throwaway line that you can get a 1st gen. iPad as proof of your shaky claim.

 

Once you have been called out, you work overtime to move the goal posts, while deliberately appearing obtuse as you try to come up with something that resembles a sound argument.

post #110 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by BestKeptSecret View Post
 

 

You are deliberately being obtuse, right?

 

You said you can buy a first generation iPad, which won't run iOS 7.1 officially.

The point SolipsismX is making is that you cannot 'officially' buy a first gen. iPad since Apple does not sell any.

 

Your point is about as valid as buying an Apple ][ from somewhere and saying it doesn't run Mavericks and then say the Apple ][ is crap.

 

SolipsismX gave you a link to a tablet that is manufactured by a company that has been on sale since less than a year ago, which runs Android 2.3.

 

You are implying that it isn't representative of Android as a whole, but isn't each one of these tablets sold by Coby counted in the Android Market Share?

 

Your initial argument was about how iPads are also crap tablets since they do not have the latest iOS and you provide a throwaway line that you can get a 1st gen. iPad as proof of your shaky claim.

 

Once you have been called out, you work overtime to move the goal posts, while deliberately appearing obtuse as you try to come up with something that resembles a sound argument.

 

I’ve noticed a fair amount of misrepresenting my position and then trying to claim that I move the goal posts when I don’t stick to the position I’m told that I have.  I see you’re misrepresenting my position as well.   Allow me to clarify a few things:

 

1)  I never said that iPads are crap tablets.  I said that a large number of Android tablets and iPads are crap.  There’s a big difference.  I don't think iPads are crap tablets.

 

2)  Soli’s point about buying tablets only thru "official" means is completely irrelevant to what was being discussed.  Whether someone bought a tablet direct from the maker, from a third party retailer, or a local purchase from a friend has no bearing on the quality of the tablet.

 

3)  RE: Coby tablets being counted in Android Market Share.  Yes, I'd imagine that they are.  If their tablets connect to the Google Play Store then they’re included in Google’s figures as well.  The question then becomes, how much of that share?  If Samsung tablets outsell Coby tablets, then wouldn’t Samsung be a better choice to represent your average Android tablet?  If you were to go out and ask people to name Android tablet manufacturers, do you think you’ll get names like Samsung or no-names like Coby?

 

4)  My point always was and still is that a tablet running on yesterday's hardware and yesterday's OS can be considered useless crap in comparison to those that are running on today's hardware and today's OS.  With that in mind, Eric's claim that "a large number of Android tablets are useless crap" is certainly true, but it doesn't really say much.  One could also easily say that a large number of Apple tablets are useless crap and it would also be true.  It also wouldn't be saying anything of importance.


Edited by DroidFTW - 4/7/14 at 12:25am
post #111 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post
 

 

I’ve noticed a fair amount of misrepresenting my position and then trying to claim that I move the goal posts when I don’t stick to the position I’m told that I have.  I see you’re misrepresenting my position as well.   Allow me to clarify a few things:

 

1)  I never said that iPads are crap tablets.  I said that a large number of Android tablets and iPads are crap.  There’s a big difference.  I don't think iPads are crap tablets.

 

2)  Soli’s point about buying tablets only thru "official" means is completely irrelevant to what was being discussed.  Whether someone bought a tablet direct from the maker, from a third party retailer, or a local purchase from a friend has no bearing on the quality of the tablet.

 

3)  RE: Coby tablets being counted in Android Market Share.  Yes, I'd imagine that they are.  If their tablets connect to the Google Play Store then they’re included in Google’s figures as well.  The question then becomes, how much of that share?  If Samsung tablets outsell Coby tablets, then wouldn’t Samsung be a better choice to represent your average Android tablet?  If you were to go out and ask people to name Android tablet manufacturers, do you think you’ll get names like Samsung or no-names like Coby?

 

4)  My point always was and still is that a tablet running on yesterday's hardware and yesterday's OS can be considered useless crap in comparison to those that are running on today's hardware and today's OS.  With that in mind, Eric's claim that "a large number of Android tablets are useless crap" is certainly true, but it doesn't really say much.  One could also easily say that a large number of Apple tablets are useless crap and it would also be true.  It also wouldn't be saying anything of importance.

The major point made by the analysts (I think Gartner started it) was that iPad was outnumbered by White Box cheap pads. Until they invented this category, in my opinion making their statistics pointless because only a fairly minor percentage is named, they reported iPads as owning the market. So far I have not seen any statistics where named Android brands are not outnumbered by iPads. Based on this statistics your Coby vs Samsung comparison makes very little sense as the no-name brands are the typical Android tablets.

 

I also find your position that iPad, a discontinued product, available second hand at ebay, proves that iPads are not up to date system-wise is hilarious, and event tempting, not worth any further comment!

post #112 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPT View Post
I also find your position that iPad, a discontinued product, available second hand at ebay, proves that iPads are not up to date system-wise is hilarious, and event tempting, not worth any further comment!

 

Here we go again with the misrepresenting what I say thing.  Instead of continually repeating myself I'll try a different approach.  Please show me where I said that iPad's are not up to date system wise.


Edited by DroidFTW - 4/7/14 at 2:12am
post #113 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

So do you agree or disagree with me that a large number of Android tablets are useless crap?

Absolutely agree.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #114 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkdrop1 View Post

First company to offer porn apps or channels wins.
Period.

 

Mirror porn from iPad, iPhone, Mac...

 

...Apple TV wins.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #115 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensmovement View Post
 

What does Google TV mean for Chromecast?

Simple: nothing. Not only do they target separate market segments with separate price points ($35 versus $99) but they are actually different devices. Chromecast is a mirroring device that cannot operate independently of a smartphone, tablet or PC...

 

Meanwhile, Google TV is a standalone device...

 

blah blah blah

 

Hmmm ... wonder what DED and the Google/Android bashers would have to say about that development. It will be much harder, after all, to Google Internet "a stolen product" ...

 

Why I expect they would say that Apple TV is both these things, a combination of Chromecast and Google TV in one device.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #116 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post
 

 

Coby Kryos?  Who's that?  I think you may be the one making a stretch for an argument this time if you're trying to paint that Coby Kryos tablet as being a good representation of Android as a whole.  Also, it looks like it's running yesterday's HW running on yesterday's OS.  That would fall in line with what I was saying above yet somehow you think this doesn't?

 

Now, if you or Eric would like to go on a "a large number of Coby Kryos tablets are useless crap" campaign, then by all means be my guest.  You may not find too much resistance on that one.  Heck, you two might even be able to get away with a "most Coby Kryos tablets are useless crap" campaign!

 

It would fall into the category of "other" where all the growth in Android tablet sales is occurring.

 

How much more of the "other" is junk like this?

 

Going on usage statistics, quite a lot.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #117 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post
 

 

Here we go again with the misrepresenting what I say thing.  Instead of continually repeating myself I'll try a different approach.  Please show me where I said that iPad's are not up to date system wise.

 

When you said you can buy an iPad NOW, which won't run the latest version of iOS.

 

As far as I know the only place to get a first gen iPad is on the second hand market.

 

I bought a brand new iPad 2 last week for some relatives from Fiji, it came with iOS 7 and updated to iOS 7.1.

 

It more than exceeded their needs, now they want two more they are reasonably priced and work a lot better than the cheap Android junk that comprises most of it's marketshare.

 

The thing is they never thought they could afford Apple.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #118 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

Funny that Apple just did the opposite. Changed the product but kept the name (Apple TV).

But they did change the name Newton to iPad for their tablet.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #119 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

So, the Sharp 4K monitor they are selling to go with the Mac Pro in the Apple Store is "low end" because it's the only one?

I dunno, but $3,600 for a 32" display doesn't really sound "low end" to me.

Have you ever said "that's the low end of high end"? I know I have plenty of times.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #120 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

When you said you can buy an iPad NOW, which won't run the latest version of iOS.

I hope you're just trolling.

You misreading my post != Me actually saying it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Google prepping 'Android TV' set-top box with stripped-down interface, voice input and notifications