or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Apple Software › Sandbag

Sandbag

post #1 of 7

Just got Safari 7.0.3 update which mentioned 'sandbagging' but doesn't explain it.  I can't find the right combination of words to google it. Any suggestions?

ADS
ADS
post #2 of 7
http://alistapart.com/article/sandbags

Lucky it didn't refer to teabagging
The devils that drive us do not discriminate
The devils that drive us do not discriminate
post #3 of 7
Originally Posted by sequitur View Post
Just got Safari 7.0.3 update which mentioned 'sandbagging' but doesn't explain it.  I can't find the right combination of words to google it. Any suggestions?

Could have sworn it said sandboxing.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
post #4 of 7

You're right. My face is red! 

ADS
ADS
post #5 of 7
Quote:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=sandbagged

"The act of undermining someone else's opinion subtly, yet in a public area, to make him/her appear foolish."

I think you just got sandbagged in the process of finding out what it means. The circle is complete.
post #6 of 7
Quote:

Funny how our brains work. Our own 'auto complete' doesn't work 100% of the time.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #7 of 7

sandboxing ... to oversimplify it, the OS is designed so that all running apps are allotted a "space" to run in, and get copies of any system resources they need... they don't share the "space" or their "copy" of the resources with any other running app... it's designed to avoid conflicts between running apps, and also provides a measure of security, in that one app can't "affect" any other app without going through the OS and it's security controls.

(Without sandboxing, an intentionally nefarious app could theoretically cause all sorts of bad problems with other apps and the possibly OS itself... like a trojan horse, if they could just get you to load and run their app... Sandboxing is designed to prevent such nefarious apps form being possible.)

(Hugely oversimplified, but that's the idea.)

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Apple Software
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Apple Software › Sandbag