or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Thoughts on Chrome OS

Thoughts on Chrome OS

post #1 of 3

I recently bought a Chromebook (HP 11 see photo below). I bought it because of a few reasons namely zero viruses and malware, it does all the things I need it to do (photos, music, YouTube, Twitter, Facebook, email, Amazon and others) simply and without any unnecessary issues, virtually no bloatware, cost (£229). I just wondered what everyone else thought about this new OS.

Edited by Bondm16 - 4/6/14 at 10:54am
Always happy to debate an issue with anyone. Once it turns into name calling, I am out of there. 
Always happy to debate an issue with anyone. Once it turns into name calling, I am out of there. 
post #2 of 3

As you know "new" is quite relative in the world we now live in and Chrome OS is surprisingly a few years old, and it's based upon Linux code. I've been a Linux advocate since the days of  its early release. I started a internet business and couldn't afford one of those fancy Sun Microsystem servers. A friend turned me onto Linux and approximately 20+ years later I still use it on all my servers, but it's my Apple Computers that I have truly loved and continue to use for all my desktop operations to this day.

So back to your question regarding Chrome OS. My introduction to Chrome OS and a Chrome Book was a result of my getting tired of dealing with viruses, malware, spyware,  and constant hardware crashing. Thus leading to my throwing my mother's 2 year old IBM Thinkpad running Windows into the trash. Basically she would drop the computer off at my house and I'd get it back to the best of it's abilities. Which would last a week or so.

One day during this typical total waste of time is when I finally had it. At first I considered giving her a 2010 MacBook Pro that still runs as if it's brand new and still has the original battery that provides a solid 2-3 hours of working time. The 2 year old Thinkpad battery would last 5 minutes if that. Well, it was hard for me to part with one of my beloved Macs so I looked for alternatives. I ended up purchasing the Acer Chrome Book. Acer! What had I done! Ha! Well, I took this little, new toy home and started playing with it. My mom finally had to rip it out of my hands as I was having so much fun with it. I love the Chrome store and all the applications, and I actually loved the solid feel of the Acer hardware.

So, in my exhaustive response, I have to say I love Chrome, Chrome OS, The Chromium Project and The Chrome Books! My mom just needed a computer that would allow her to email, surf the web, write documents. With her Chrome Book she can do that and there's so much more you can do with them. I paid $199 for her Chrome Book and that was well over a year ago. The days of messing with Windows are behind me. I'm not anti-microsoft, but I prefer other products.

Funny story. A diehard Windows friend of mine (He still has the MS mentality), finally after about 10 years of my constantly suggesting that he try an Apple he finally gave in. Well, now he's an Apple fan, and continues to provide MS IT support. He was starting to switch his clients over to Apple, but he discovered he was not making the money. Why? Because he no longer had to deal with constantly reloading Windows. So as a self employed IT support person MS is a perfect solution if you are into, well, possibly walking a bit close to that ethical line. Google Chrome** products would result in the very same thing as Apple products. Stability, reliability, and saving money. Sure you might pay a bit more up front for an Apple product but it's going to last. Personally I like Linux, FreeBSD, and Apple and avoid the "war" of words. I love the fact that Google is a Linux advocate!. Go Android, go Chrome OS, go ????

Cheers, Eric

post #3 of 3

Many thanks indeed Eric.  I love my Chromebook. I like Windows 7 as well which runs my main computer but I find Chrome OS to be more user-friendly, uncluttered and simple to use.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Thoughts on Chrome OS