or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Microsoft shows off new 'Windows in the car' concept to take on Apple's CarPlay

Microsoft shows off new 'Windows in the car' concept to take on Apple's CarPlay - Page 3

post #81 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

CarPlay is a bit of an unfortunate name, driving is a responible activity, and you shouldn't really call products that go in the car "play."

Well, CarResponsibility really doesn't have that ring to it...

post #82 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by BestKeptSecret View Post

Well, CarResponsibility really doesn't have that ring to it...

What about simply iCar?

post #83 of 99
Serious in-car systems use Microsoft Office
post #84 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

One thing I'd like to see from in-car information systems would be the inclusion of the currently posted legal speed limit for the location being traveled.

That would be useful for when you're not keeping your eyes on the road.
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
post #85 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyAppleUser View Post

I don't want to be driving a Car where Microsoft software or hardware is installed.  I have no desire to see the "MS Blue Screen of Death" as I'm driving.   

Love your name! Although it's tautologous.
- African proverb
- African proverb
post #86 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I predict this will fail unless it has the Windows desktop UI, keyboard and mouse, and Microsoft Office, Car Edition. I also predict that with all those things, it will still fail. And Microsoft will hang this failure on Satya Nadella, who will have to give the CEO spot up to Steve Ballmer, who returns after his "wilderness months" to lead Microsoft again. I call it "the cycle of fail."

😄
- African proverb
- African proverb
post #87 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

What about simply iCar?

That suggests they're building the actual car.
- African proverb
- African proverb
post #88 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

How about drones that are linked to your map directions, current GPS location, and that maintain a certain distance ahead of you with a camera system and on-board system designed for "law enforcement recognition" so you know when you need to slow down.

THAT I would buy.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #89 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

That would be useful for when you're not keeping your eyes on the road.

It would be useful for navigating and avoiding speed traps, of which there are many in my area.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #90 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I don't see that as an issue. This appears to work just like CarPlay in that the UI is being sent via the Windows Phone to overlay on the car's in-dash system. This doesn't appear to be another Ford SYNC

"During one demonstation, the system was shown with the ability to control vehicle functions -- such as turning on and off a defrosting system and tuning the radio -- and displaying hyper-localized navigation information like whether or not the vehicle was currently in a school zone."

post #91 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowitall View Post

"During one demonstation, the system was shown with the ability to control vehicle functions -- such as turning on and off a defrosting system and tuning the radio -- and displaying hyper-localized navigation information like whether or not the vehicle was currently in a school zone."

Now I see this as an issue.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #92 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

It would be useful for navigating and avoiding speed traps, of which there are many in my area.

If you stick to the speed limit, as you should, you will never need to worry about speed traps.
- African proverb
- African proverb
post #93 of 99
Quote:

If you stick to the speed limit, as you should, you will never need to worry about speed traps.

Yeah because everyone in the world are little darlings like yourself. I'm sure you've never sped in your life.. *rollseyes*

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

post #94 of 99
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post
Yeah because everyone in the world are little darlings like yourself. I'm sure you've never sped in your life.. *rollseyes*

I fail to see how that’s a valid reply.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
post #95 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I fail to see how that’s a valid reply.

Well, even if you respect speed limits, there will be an occasion where you will fail to notice that you are speeding. Conversation with your passenger, a little bit of downhill, or just focusing on road in front of you. Failure to notice speed change sign? Happened to me, my only speeding ticket in my life (so far). Got caught driving 75km/h in 50km/h zone. I do remember that road was 70km/h (NZ Police tolerates up to 10km/h over the limit), and completely failed to notice where it changed to 50km/h. Sign might have been obscured somehow. I'd save around US$150 in fine, had I a device capable of warning me that speed limit has changed.

So yeah. Even if I'm not speeding type, I'm happy to have additional layer of speed-abiding "security".
post #96 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

Well, even if you respect speed limits, there will be an occasion where you will fail to notice that you are speeding. Conversation with your passenger, a little bit of downhill, or just focusing on road in front of you. Failure to notice speed change sign? Happened to me, my only speeding ticket in my life (so far). Got caught driving 75km/h in 50km/h zone. I do remember that road was 70km/h (NZ Police tolerates up to 10km/h over the limit), and completely failed to notice where it changed to 50km/h. Sign might have been obscured somehow. I'd save around US$150 in fine, had I a device capable of warning me that speed limit has changed.

So yeah. Even if I'm not speeding type, I'm happy to have additional layer of speed-abiding "security".

Metroview has speed limits, school zone and fixed speed camera locations in Australia and I presume also New Zealand, I bought it from the App store years ago, it gives audio warnings when speed limits change or when approaching a camera.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #97 of 99
There was a mention this weekend that Alpine will be selling a CarPlay compatible head unit by this fall. Priced in the $500-$700 range according to the article.
http://asia.nikkei.com/Markets/Tokyo-Market/Alpine-to-sell-console-for-Apple-s-in-car-infotainment-system

(Reposted for those that might have missed it from the other CarPlay thread. )
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #98 of 99
Quote:

Try doing the speed limit when you have a thundering 5.0L V8 with 420bhp.
('13 Mustang GT was the best purchase I ever made)
Nothing feels better than laying the smack down on a $60k BMW in a sub $30k car.
post #99 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleCPA View Post

Try doing the speed limit when you have a thundering 5.0L V8 with 420bhp.
('13 Mustang GT was the best purchase I ever made)
Nothing feels better than laying the smack down on a $60k BMW in a sub $30k car.

Well, if you're struggling to reach the speed limit, that's fine, too. Just don't go over it.
- African proverb
- African proverb
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Microsoft shows off new 'Windows in the car' concept to take on Apple's CarPlay