or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iOS 7 reaches 87% adoption, still growing faster than Android 4.4 KitKat

Apple's iOS 7 reaches 87% adoption, still growing faster than Android 4.4 KitKat

post #1 of 82
Apple has updated its App Store statistics for April, reporting that 87 percent of its users accessing the iTunes Store have now installed its latest iOS 7.

App Store iOS 7 87%

Apple first released iOS 7 in mid September alongside a new crop of iPhones. Six months later, there are more users on iOS 7 than any other mobile platform API level.

Google's Android 4.4 KitKat, also unveiled last year, still hasn't even officially rolled out to many owners of a variety of quite popular Android phones. Overall, Google reports that just 5.3 percent of its active Google Play users are now using KitKat.

Compared to the mobile OS figures from each company from early February, iOS 7 has jumped up by 5 percentage points, while KitKat has only improved by 3.5 percentage points in the same two month period.

Apple's customers are also leaving old software behind faster. Just 11 percent of App Store users are still on iOS 6, and only one percent are using an iOS version more than a year and a half old. On Android, a full 33.3 percent of the installed base is stranded on a version dating from earlier than the summer of 2012, prior to the release of iOS 6. Another 61.4 percent are on a version released during the span of iOS 6.

Android Fragmentation April 2014

Apart from operational and technical bragging rights, the fact that Apple can rapidly distribute the newest versions of its mobile platform also means that developers can be confident about using the latest features Apple releases.

In August, a survey taken by Twitterrific developer Craig Hockenberry of The Iconfactory indicated that 95 percent of developers were working to add support for iOS 7 in their apps, while 52 percent already planned to released iOS 7-only apps.

"The Fallacy of Android First"

In stark contrast, Emu chat app co-founder Dave Feldman just profiled for TechCrunch that his company's plans to release its app for Android first ran into a series of problems so significant that he observed, "Android didn't work out for us" and pulled the title from Google Play.

Feldman outlined that his company's initial market research indicated that Android had more users, was improving its user interface and that "a few high-profile influencers were switching to it from iPhone."

He also noted other "hopeful rumors: Android apps were easier to build. Adoption of recent Android versions was high enough that we could limit our backward compatibility, avoid serious fragmentation, and still have a large potential user base."

In reality however, Emu ran into "unanticipated technical hurdles" with Android's "open" chat architecture allowing any third party app to sit on top of the phone's SMS and found that "even when you don't support older Android versions, fragmentation is a huge drain on resources.""Even when you don't support older Android versions, fragmentation is a huge drain on resources" - Dave Feldman, Emu

He also concluded that "Google's tools and documentation are less advanced, and less stable, than Apple's," and that "Android's larger install base doesn't translate into a larger addressable market."

Feldman cited similar findings by Steve Cheney, who observed that "building and releasing on Android costs 2-3x more than iOS. This is due to a multitude of reasons: less sophisticated tools, generally more cumbersome APIs, fewer exposed advanced features, enormous QA issues brought on by fragmentation, etc. The rough rule of thumb is for every iOS engineer you actually need two Android engineers--or twice the development time."

Android security issues

In addition to erecting problems for app developers, Android's fragmentation and update lag also create security problems for users.

In February, a report by Cisco detailed that 99 percent of mobile malware targets Android.

That echoed the "staggering rate" of malware growth observed last summer by Juniper Networks in a report that noted that "77 percent of Android's threats could be largely eliminated today if all Android devices had the latest OS. Currently only 4 percent do."

Android Malware

In contrast, when an SSL flaw was discovered in Apple's iOS code, the company was able to fix the problem and distribute the update to its users within just a few days.

One specific critical security flaw in Android's WebView, addressed by Google in Android 4.2, is still open to exploit for the majority of Google's Android users many months later because they simply can't obtain the patch for their phone from the vendors, carriers or Google.

Many Android users don't even know they are at risk for exploits. The wide open nature of Android's Play Store just resulted in Google listing "Virus Shield" as its top performing app for over a week. However, despite positive reviews and a 4.5 star rating, the $3.99 app was found to do absolutely nothing but defraud the more than ten thousand users who paid to download it.
post #2 of 82
There's probably a limit to the % of iOS 7 devices that we might be about to reach. In my country there are quite a few 3GS still around. Add the iPad first gen (which I have). And you might get the percentage missing to 100%.
post #3 of 82
Somebody needs to ban the use of pie charts. 1oyvey.gif
post #4 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunkzombie View Post

There's probably a limit to the % of iOS 7 devices that we might be about to reach. In my country there are quite a few 3GS still around. Add the iPad first gen (which I have). And you might get the percentage missing to 100%.

I'm sure that those older devices account for more than 13% of devices still in use. They're just not accessing the app store.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #5 of 82
But it's only 87% of iOS users running iOS 7, not 87% of iOS AND Android users. Check...and...mate.
post #6 of 82

Deja Vu

"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
post #7 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunkzombie View Post

I'm sure that those older devices account for more than 13% of devices still in use. They're just not accessing the app store.

got data or just speculation?

post #8 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

why? 

visualization can be more powerful then simply text. I'll happily take the pie charts over the tables. 

post #9 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by snova View Post

That has regularly been said about the Android distribution data, so I imagine he's simply applying the argument to Apple.

post #10 of 82
That's an amazing number for a mobile OS version that is worst thing to ever happen to humanity and proof Apple can't survive without Steve Jobs¡

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I agree¡ We should replace pie charts with varying degrees of open Pac-Man mouthes.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #11 of 82
Quote:
The wide open nature of Android's Play Store just resulted in Google listing "Virus Shield" as its top performing app for over a week. However, despite positive reviews and a 4.5 star rating, the $3.99 app was found to do absolutely nothing but defraud the more than ten thousand users who paid to download it.

Hilarious! "Thank you, Android Police"...

post #12 of 82

It's interesting to me how different authors spin the same data.  In this article http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/04/01/android-platform-distribution-numbers-updated-kitkat-more-than-doubles-to-5-3-gingerbread-continues-its-slow-decline/ the change in KitKat's penetration was highlighted as more than doubling over the last month.

By that reasoning, KitKat grew by 112%  in one month while iOS 7 grew by 6% over the last two months.

post #13 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

It's interesting to me how different authors spin the same data.  In this article http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/04/01/android-platform-distribution-numbers-updated-kitkat-more-than-doubles-to-5-3-gingerbread-continues-its-slow-decline/ the change in KitKat's penetration was highlighted as more than doubling over the last month.

By that reasoning, KitKat grew by 112%  in one month while iOS 7 grew by 6% over the last two months.

Did you just compare a change from 4.3 to 4.4, a point update with a change from 6.x to 7.x instead of 7.0.x to 7.1, a point update? 1hmm.gif

post #14 of 82
Quote:

One must Always spin data in favor of Apple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Did you just compare a change from 4.3 to 4.4, a point update with a change from 6.x to 7.x instead of 7.0.x to 7.1, a point update? 1hmm.gif

Uh.. No. The growth rates of the latest OSes, Period.

post #15 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddpacino View Post

Uh.. No. The growth rates of the latest OSes, Period.

He clearly wrote KitKat which is only 4.4 and iOS 7 and not iOS 7.1.

post #16 of 82
Quote:

2 devices of my own that can't be updated plus constant reminders of how long Apple devices last fo, all the iPods Touch that were sold until a little over a year ago, all the first gen iPads, and all the iPhones 3G(S) I still see people using. Do you really believe all those devices that sold for years makeup only 13% of active devices?
post #17 of 82
Quote:

why? 
visualization can be more powerful then simply text. I'll happily take the pie charts over the tables. 
Ok the iOS one isn't bad because it only has three data points. But the Android one is hideous. Bar charts are always preferable to pie charts.
post #18 of 82
Quote:

I'm guessing that you're buying into that interpretation. In the same way, I could interpret it by saying that the percentage of people open to malware infection are 97% android users and only 3% apple - in other words, android cares less about your safety than their market share. Also comparing androids adoption to itself rather than to apple makes android sound better - which is what they did. Saying their newest OS has doubled in users doesn't mean as much when the the number of users was small to begin with. It's not hard to see the facts though - Apple's users are using the most modern software, android users are on old software right now - leaving them open to malware and safety issues.
post #19 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinpublic View Post

.....leaving them open to malware and safety issues.

Gotta use the phone in order to be susceptible. We all know that by usage stats Android users don't use their phones. A pseudo danger at best.
post #20 of 82

I really, really, REALLY don’t care how many Android phones get updates. All I care about is getting iOS updates on my iPad.

post #21 of 82

Am I the only one who has the feeling that DED's repeat button is stuck on 'on'? :)

It's well known that the adoption of Android updates is slower then that of iOS updates and the reasons for that are also well known, there is really no reason in repeating it to no end :s.

post #22 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Google's Android 4.4 KitKat, also unveiled last year, still hasn't even officially rolled out to many owners of a variety of quite popular Android phones. Overall, Google reports that just 5.3 percent of its active Google Play users are now using KitKat.

Compared to the mobile OS figures from each company from early February, iOS 7 has jumped up by 5 percentage points, while KitKat has only improved by 3.5 percentage points in the same two month period.

Can't wait for the inevitable summer articles, between WWDC and September when everyone who will upgrade to iOS 7 has, and we hear how Apple is doomed because iOS 7 adoption isn't growing as fast as KitKat is.
Quote:

Oh, wait. It already started.
post #23 of 82
Quote:

why? 

Considering we live with today's youth's coining their favorite IM statement concerning reading: TLDR; pie charts visually cut through the lazy nature of today' Generation Nothing.

post #24 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Considering we live with today's youth's coining their favorite IM statement concerning reading: TLDR; pie charts visually cut through the lazy nature of today' Generation Nothing.

Both the person you quoted and yourself are right. It is a good way of presenting something clearly in this time where people definitely seem to become more lazy. Though one always has to be careful with visualizations as it is easy to manipulate them. For pie charts this is less important although it is possible to manipulate how they look somewhat certainly when they are in 3d (f.e. by taking a piece out it will seem bigger or by placing something on the far side of the pie it will appear smaller). But graphs are very easy to manipulate, just by for example changing the spacing on the X-axis or Y-axis and changing the starting point of the X-axis or Y-axis one can dramatize the effects. Which could result in evolutions looking more drastic or less drastic then they are. It's very easy to make the same increase look either less or more significant than it is. Therefor it's still always important to look at the numbers and the data selection.

Edited by Chipsy - 4/7/14 at 4:06pm
post #25 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Plus it looks like pizza. lol.gif
post #26 of 82
Quote:

Yes when you compare percentages of change in two different numbers you can create all sorts of misleading ideas. Like Windows Phone, it’s doing so well because at some points it has increased by some huge percentage! Then you realize that the few million WP grew by is dwarfed by the several millions in new growth found elsewhere. 

If you’re driving 5 MPH and increase your speed by 100%, you’re going a wicked fast 10 MPH. If you’re driving 80 MPH and speed up to 100 MPH, you’ve only increased your speed by a measly 25%. But don’t try to impress a cop with that sort of garbage comparison. 

post #27 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

2 devices of my own that can't be updated plus constant reminders of how long Apple devices last fo, all the iPods Touch that were sold until a little over a year ago, all the first gen iPads, and all the iPhones 3G(S) I still see people using. Do you really believe all those devices that sold for years makeup only 13% of active devices?

Apple sold fewer than 20 million original iPads the first year. Since then it’s sold +170 million. So no, the original iPad is not big percentage of sales (8.5% and shrinking, not accounting for breakage or failure).

The iPhone 3GS was also a popular phone, but only during its first year. Second year sales drop off rapidly in favor of the new model, and third year sales are a very small percentage of overall sales. Also, after three years the number of those phones still in service begins dropping rapidly. 

Any way you slice it, you have no support for your claim that old devices must be greater than 13% of the installed base. Instead, you’ve highlighted that virtually everyone who can update to iOS 7 already has

The difference with Android is that a) lots of people who would like to upgrade can’t; b) there are still "new" phones shipping with really old versions of Android (yes, even iOS 4-era Android 2.x variants) and c) even phones on the same Android version (say, 4.3) still have different layers of crap that create fragmentation problems and security issues. 

post #28 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipsy View Post

Am I the only one who has the feeling that DED's repeat button is stuck on 'on'? :)

It's well known that the adoption of Android updates is slower then that of iOS updates and the reasons for that are also well known, there is really no reason in repeating it to no end :s.

As long as there are people who keep lying about the tech market, you’re going to have to stomach listening to the truth begin reported over and over again.

If you don’t like it you can go hide out on an Android fan site and relish your delusions with likeminded folk.

post #29 of 82
Not intending to waylay the discussion but this is somewhat pertinent. Just finished reading an interesting article about developing for the two platforms. Whether typical or not it certainly sounds like an honest take on this developers experience.
http://techcrunch.com/2014/04/06/the-fallacy-of-android-first/
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #30 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

As long as there are people who keep lying about the tech market, you’re going to have to stomach listening to the truth begin reported over and over again.

If you don’t like it you can go hide out on an Android fan site and relish your delusions with likeminded folk.

Lol easily agitated are we? :) It was just an honest remark questioning the use of such articles over and over again.

But looking at your second remark it seems like you think it's impossible to both like and use Android and Apple products.

Edited by Chipsy - 4/7/14 at 5:12pm
post #31 of 82
I wonder what the number of people who upgrades is who wish they could go back to iOS6? Outside of this forum, I don't know a single person who is even remotely happy with iOS7, and at least 90% of them would go back to iOS6 if Apple would allow it.
post #32 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

I wonder what the number of people who upgrades is who wish they could go back to iOS6? Outside of this forum, I don't know a single person who is even remotely happy with iOS7, and at least 90% of them would go back to iOS6 if Apple would allow it.

Outside internet tech forums I don't know of anyone that complains about iOS 7 and wishes they could go back to iOS 6.

post #33 of 82
Quote:

Outside internet tech forums I don't know of anyone that complains about iOS 7 and wishes they could go back to iOS 6.

So you don't actually know any real humans who use iOS devices then.
post #34 of 82
So you don't actually know any real humans who use iOS devices then.

This is really pretty funny until you realize how wrong it is. :lol:

post #35 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

This is really pretty funny until you realize how wrong it is. lol.gif

Anyone who tells me that they don't know people who hate iOS7 is lying. I'm just trying to find out what exactly it is that he's lying about.
post #36 of 82
Quote:

Anyone who tells me that they don't know people who hate iOS7 is lying. I'm just trying to find out what exactly it is that he's lying about.

What do you base that option stated as a "fact" on? Note that you didn't say that some people wish iOS 7 didn't have this or that issue but that they hate iOS 7 and wish they could go back to iOS 6 getting rid of all the features that are iOS 7 only, which would include Touch ID. Oh yeah, Touch ID is a gimmick feature that hasn't ever worked for anyone¡
Edited by SolipsismX - 4/7/14 at 7:04pm

post #37 of 82
Quote:

But what matters, in terms of where the body of users resides, which is important to developers and to security, is the overall percentage using the latest OS version, not the relative growth of that percentage. Please tell me you comprehend this.
I don't care about what the ignorant masses perceive as truth. I'm concerned with the facts on the ground.
I don't care about what the ignorant masses perceive as truth. I'm concerned with the facts on the ground.
post #38 of 82
Quote:

In Android's version numbering system, a point update is equivalent to an entire integer update on iOS.
post #39 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

Yes when you compare percentages of change in two different numbers you can create all sorts of misleading ideas. Like Windows Phone, it’s doing so well because at some points it has increased by some huge percentage! Then you realize that the few million WP grew by is dwarfed by the several millions in new growth found elsewhere. 

If you’re driving 5 MPH and increase your speed by 100%, you’re going a wicked fast 10 MPH. If you’re driving 80 MPH and speed up to 100 MPH, you’ve only increased your speed by a measly 25%. But don’t try to impress a cop with that sort of garbage comparison. 

Actually percent change is the only way to compare growth rates. In other words you misused the word faster in your comparison of the growth. KitKat is changing more rapidly but controlling less market share. iOS 7 is adding more market share but changing more slowly.
post #40 of 82
Quote:

In Android's version numbering system, a point update is equivalent to an entire integer update on iOS.

That's a good argument¡ 1hmm.gif

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple's iOS 7 reaches 87% adoption, still growing faster than Android 4.4 KitKat
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iOS 7 reaches 87% adoption, still growing faster than Android 4.4 KitKat