or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung sues newspaper for $284k over negative reports on Galaxy S5

Samsung sues newspaper for $284k over negative reports on Galaxy S5 - Page 2

post #41 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young View Post

EE Times was saying that samsung will have hard time to get a hands on enough 16MP camera modules for S5 due to very low yield.  I didn't read the whole article but that is basically what head line is saying. It seems like very reasonable concern.   

Thanks.

Though that hardly seems like something Samsung could sue over.

post #42 of 79
So HOW MANY PRESSES Are They Going to SUE ?

lol.giflol.giflol.gif

http://www.cnet.com/videos/reasons-not-to-buy-the-galaxy-s5/

post #43 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Speaking of the Galaxy S5, AnandTech has posted their review. I would have thought that a brand new, 2.45GHz Snapdragon 801 processor arriving more than 6 months after the iPhone 5S launched would have faired better with raw performance tests. They also seems to be making it bigger and heavier despite the display size being effectively static.

Interesting how the 5S wipes the floor with it on quite a few tests, with half the cores and half the RAM, and having been released 6 months earlier, when mobile CPUs are improving so quickly. Says alot about the A7 chip. The A8 is going to be ridiculous. 

post #44 of 79
Quote:

EE Times was saying that samsung will have hard time to get a hands on enough 16MP camera modules for S5 due to very low yield.  I didn't read the whole article but that is basically what head line is saying. It seems like very reasonable concern.   

They're sueing … for that? Wow.
post #45 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Interesting how the 5S wipes the floor with it on quite a few tests, with half the cores and half the RAM. 

1) And nearly 1/2 the CPU speed. At least it beats the iPhone in most of the battery tests but that's expected with the size (and increase size YoY) of the battery. I did find a couple things impressive on their review. One, the Galaxy S5 uses much less power than the Galaxy S4 for comparable tests. Two, the charging time has been significantly reduced (under 2 hours) which is better than the iPhone despite the Galaxy G5 having a huge battery that even grow in size over the Galaxy S4. That said, I do wonder if that 5.3V/2A charger will burn out any components over time or cause the device to get very hot when charging.

2) If Apple releases a larger screened iPhone I have doubt that it will be able to wipe the floor with any of these Android devices and increase its lead in performance even more as they advance their A-chips and other HW.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #46 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayz View Post

They're sueing … for that? Wow.

Wow indeed. That's nowhere NEAR the negative tone of most Apple hit-pieces that are published daily. Fucking Samsung, despicable. 

post #47 of 79
ScamScum needs to make money somehow.
post #48 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMember View Post

here a false report about the iPhone 5 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPhone_5

Benchmark tests conducted by UK consumer magazine Which?
 in June 2013, comparing the iPhone 5 and other smart phones in the same class such as the HTC One
Samsung Galaxy S 4
 and LG Nexus 4
 have consistently found the iPhone to be the slowest

Would those results be with Samsung over locking the CPU during benchmark tests or not?

Back on the subject of bad press, what about Samsung employing students to post negative reviews about HTC. Samsung is an unethical company and my two biggest regrets are that I own a Samsung net book and a Galaxy Tab 2 7. These are the last Samsung branded products I will ever own.
Edited by Crosslad - 4/8/14 at 12:17am
post #49 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosslad View Post

Would those results be with Samsung over locking the CPU during benchmark tests or not?

Back on the subject of bad press, what about Samsung employing students to post negative results about HTC. Samsung is an unethical company and my two biggest regrets are that I own a Samsung net book and a Galaxy Tab 2 7. These are the last Samsung branded products I will ever own.

The doping for the benchmark tests adds very little improvement to the overall performance but says a lot about the vendor's moral fiber which, to me, makes it illogical that they would have 1) ever thought the pros outweigh the cons, and 2) that they are still doing it (although I don't recall any mention of it for the Galaxy S5 in AnandTech's review).

post #50 of 79
Haha. Pretty funny.

NSA.
post #51 of 79
This is why I'll never buy anything made by Samsung ever. Yes, it matters.
post #52 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Looks like Verizon already has a BOGO for the GS5 planned.

They absolutely do. Saw the ad on TV last night. I'm guessing it's to compete with the BOGO offer for the new HTC One.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #53 of 79
What a desperate attempt to make a Samsung story into an Apple story.

The pro-Apple bias here is more annoying than usual for you, Apple Insider.
post #54 of 79
Quote:

The doping for the benchmark tests adds very little improvement to the overall performance but says a lot about the vendor's moral fiber which, to me, makes it illogical that they would have 1) ever thought the pros outweigh the cons, and 2) that they are still doing it (although I don't recall any mention of it for the Galaxy S5 in AnandTech's review).

Someone mentioned they didn't do it with the S5 and thought it was Anandtech.

EDIT: Can't find reference to it immediately.

EDIT2: It was Ars that discovered it
http://www.ibtimes.com/samsung-will-play-fair-galaxy-benchmarks-android-44-kitkat-update-1559960
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/03/samsungs-kitkat-update-seems-to-remove-benchmark-boosting-shenanigans/2/
Edited by Gatorguy - 4/8/14 at 5:32am
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #55 of 79
Quote:

I got into a big discussion with the late jragosta over this. He insisted that cheating would lead to more sales, my contention was that increased sales would be minimal, and sale losses would be greater if they were ever caught.
post #56 of 79
So, Samsung is OK with free speech when they want to ruin someone else's reputation, but not when it's about them? Not just content with stealing Apple's intellectual property, they also seem to have no regard for the truth either. They like to give it but they can't take it.

Says a lot about the personalities controlling Samsung.
post #57 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I got into a big discussion with the late jragosta over this. He insisted that cheating would lead to more sales, my contention was that increased sales would be minimal, and sale losses would be greater if they were ever caught.

I tend to agree. If you buy a phone because of benchmarks, you'll probably know about the cheating (it was widely reported by the benchmarking sites), but unless the lab that does the benchmark adjusts for it (or punishes by delisting), what will probably happen is that a sound bite will emerge: "Samsung = fastest" because people have an annoying tendency to lose details and keep only a snippet--a conclusion--from those data-heavy benchmark article. That is, some people will literally glance at a bar chart showing Samsung with the best score and come away with that, out of context.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #58 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissMac2 View Post

So, Samsung is OK with free speech when they want to ruin someone else's reputation, but not when it's about them? Not just content with stealing Apple's intellectual property, they also seem to have no regard for the truth either. They like to give it but they can't take it.

Says a lot about the personalities controlling Samsung.

Apple sues over right and wrong.
Samsung sues to manipulate public perception.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #59 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I tend to agree. If you buy a phone because of benchmarks, you'll probably know about the cheating (it was widely reported by the benchmarking sites), but unless the lab that does the benchmark adjusts for it (or punishes by delisting), what will probably happen is that a sound bite will emerge: "Samsung = fastest" because people have an annoying tendency to lose details and keep only a snippet--a conclusion--from those data-heavy benchmark article. That is, some people will literally glance at a bar chart showing Samsung with the best score and come away with that, out of context.

I agree with that, but my thing is how many people will choose a phone because it's 'faster' than another? A few hundred thousand at best. It'll be taken into a consideration, but not a deciding factor.
post #60 of 79
Hey! Knock it off! That's the mother of my new watch's chip you are talking about.

Let's be compassionate. This is Samsung's season of pain. Apple is taking the high end and Chinese manufacturers are taking the low end. Yes no maybe I don't know can you repeat the question? You're not the boss of me now and you're not so big.

Life is unfair.
post #61 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by CafeFog View Post

Wow. Samsung is a nasty company. The last of their monitors I'll ever buy...

I have two big flat screen TVs, a ten-year-old Panasonic and a three-year-old Samsung. The Panasonic is still going strong; the Samsung developed an un fixable lavender horizontal 8-inch stripe a year ago. It shows up whenever the picture is white. Like Apple ads ironically.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
post #62 of 79
Dysamoria: Pro Apple bias on an Apple centric website. Imagine that. Your life must be filled with disappointments.

Check out the DNC website; it's filled with liberal bias. Another shocker.
post #63 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS11 View Post

In some cases software changes can also boost benchmarks, although I wouldn't call it doping.  Sometime around the 10th of March there was a software update that boosted the A7's GFXBench 3.0 Manhatta
n (Offscreen) score from an average of 675 (10.9) f
rames to an average of 803 (13.0) frames.  Whether that's real performance gain or just optimizations for the benchmark have yet to be seen.

EDIT:  The March 10th boost did not change the score of GFXBench 3.0 T-Rex (offscreen), it remained at an average of 1472 (26.3)

Optimizing firmware and OS are legitimate improvements to the system. Doping is when the system specifically looks for benchmarks to be run and then foregoes all power and heat considerations to increase the performance to its highest level specifically for the test. This is artificial. This is doping.

post #64 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Powell View Post

Not sure if this page is Appleinsider or Samsunginsider

It's Appleinsider.
iPad a Dream.
iPad a Dream.
post #65 of 79

"When Apple relaunched the phone as iPhone 5c in a colorful case, the media again attacked it as being a flop, failure and mistake despite the middle tier phone's ability to outsell all BlackBerry phones together, all Windows Phone sales from every vendor globally, and even Samsung's top selling Galaxy S 4 flagship during the critical holiday quarter."

Let;s just add some additional color to this statement.  Some would argue that the 5C represented a new iPhone model whereas the Galaxy s$ was, during the holiday quarter, a 9 month old model.  But those folks should comprehend the fact that the 5C was really the 5 repacked into a plastic case.  And that brightly colored plastic case was ridiculed, implying that consumers would prefer to have purchased the 5 at the same $100 discounted price.  This implies the 5, a full six months older the the Galaxy S4, would have even more significantly outsold the S4 during that quarter.

I have enough money to last the rest of my life. Unless I buy something. - Jackie Mason
I have enough money to last the rest of my life. Unless I buy something. - Jackie Mason
post #66 of 79
Samsung's profits in the smartphone market are dropping.  Apple will out-wait them and eventually Samsung will not be able to afford the marketing budget its throwing at its smartphone business and it won;t be able to support the level of legal action its involved with.  Apple's iPhone and iPad have crushed several companies that sat on there hands while Apple passed them by; Dell, HP in PCs and tablets, Blackberry, Nokia, HTC, LG, Sony in phones, Microsoft in operating systems. etc.  Samsung, being a huge conglomerate, has more staying power than most and Apple understands it will take several more product cycles in this market to really hurt Samsung, but I believe we're at the tipping point of that process now.  Samsung is failing to keep pace with the real technical advances (Touch ID, 64-bit CPU), it's beginning to see the futility of Android and so is scrambling to create its own OS, for which it will then need to build out an ecosystem of apps, and it's getting desperate in its marketing spin.  The next three years will be very interesting to watch this Apple/Samsung battle unfold.

Edited by RadarTheKat - 4/8/14 at 9:08am
post #67 of 79
Samsung's profits in the smartphone market are dropping.  Apple will out-wait them and eventually Samsung will not be able to afford the marketing budget its throwing at its smartphone business and it won;t be able to support the level of legal action its involved with.  Apple's iPhone and iPad have crushed several companies that sat on there hands while Apple passed them by; Dell, HP in PCs and tablets, Blackberry, Nokia, HTC, LG, Sony in phones, Microsoft in operating systems. etc.  Samsung, being a huge conglomerate, has more staying power than most and Apple understands it will take several more product cycles in this market to really hurt Samsung, but I believe we're at the tipping point of that process now.  Samsung is failing to keep pace with the real technical advances (Touch ID, 64-bit CPU), it's beginning to see the futility of Android and so is scrambling to create its own OS, for which it will then need to build out an ecosystem of apps, and it's getting desperate in its marketing spin.  The next three years will be very interesting to watch this Apple/Samsung battle unfold.

Edited by RadarTheKat - 4/8/14 at 9:07am
post #68 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

Thanks.

Though that hardly seems like something Samsung could sue over

It implies that Samsung will have issue with galaxy G5 production. I think that is why samsung is so sensitive to this issue but I agree with you. They are definitely overreacting on this issue. 

post #69 of 79
Is that more or less than they pay for their good reviews?
post #70 of 79
here a false report about the iPhone 5 

So delete it from the page.

EE Times was saying that samsung will have hard time to get a hands on enough 16MP camera modules for S5 due to very low yield.

I say deport all foreign Samsung executives in the country, shut their doors, and bar them from importing.

Originally Posted by dysamoria View Post
The pro-Apple bias here is more annoying than usual for you, Apple Insider.

Most parents stop dropping their kids on their heads LONG before the kid hits whatever age you are.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.

post #71 of 79
Apple couldn't sue Rob Enderle. Could you imagine the potential PR blow-back if Apple were seen to be picking on the intellectually disadvantaged?

Teehee.. I went and checked Wikipedia to confirm that Enderle was the 'rocket scientist' who predicted that the iMac would destroy Apple after countless people died due to flying shards of LCD glass after the next 'Big One' hits.
It looks like Enderle wrote his own Wikipedia article. It's even got a warning posted at the top stating the "article's tone and style may not reflect encyclopedic tone". Apparently tongue-bath isn't in the style guide for Wikipedia.
I may have to update it to more accurately reflect his history of prognostication this evening.
post #72 of 79
They need to quote more of the article, to see what the heck Samsung is so upset about.
post #73 of 79

I heard a tech reviewer say that Apple took all his demos away, and lowered their support, after he made a comment they didn't like.  Seems like the press gets a hard time from them too.  It's not legal action, but it's attempting to manipulate the press, nonetheless.

post #74 of 79
Originally Posted by DownhillDude View Post
I heard a tech reviewer say that Apple took all his demos away, and lowered their support, after he made a comment they didn't like.  Seems like the press gets a hard time from them too.  It's not legal action, but it's attempting to manipulate the press, nonetheless.

Yeah, doubt it.

post #75 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So delete it from the page.

Why delete it? Let the people know!.. as wikipedia fan i feel sorry for them 

post #76 of 79
Why delete it? Let the people know!

Know what? Lies? Why?

post #77 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by copeland View Post

Just an advice for Samsung:

"Innovate don't litigate!!"

:smokey:

I'ts funny beacause that is what Samsung said about Apple -the exact same words :smokey: 

post #78 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Know what? Lies? Why?

They need to know not trust wikipedia...three yrs ago i was one of them who got fooled by wikipedia

post #79 of 79

This is what happens when a company of Samsung's morality makes as much money as they do. They just use it for evil.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung sues newspaper for $284k over negative reports on Galaxy S5