or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Microsoft hopes to counter Apple with AI-driven 'invisible user interfaces' on future devices

Microsoft hopes to counter Apple with AI-driven 'invisible user interfaces' on future devices - Page 3

post #81 of 84
Originally Posted by Ezhik View Post
If we take your iPhone comparison: Windows 1.0 was announced BEFORE the Macintosh (of course, they knew about it), while work on Windows Phone 7, Microsoft's answer to the iPhone, started only in 2009, 2 years after the iPhone came out. 

But we’re not taking that comparison. Because we’re not talking about Microsoft in this regard. We’re talking about Google/BlackBerry in this regard.

They werent wrong

Sure thing¡

Why would they just ditch MS-DOS…

1. Because they did.

2. Because “not ditching command line” DOES NOT EQUAL “must insult GUI”.

And why would they invoke the Osborne effect by outright stating that Macintosh's GUI is better than MS-DOS?

That’s nowhere near the only other option.

So yeah, I just don't see what I'm wrong in.

He said that Microsoft insulted the GUI while building their own. You claimed otherwise. You were wrong.

I said that Microsoft didn't hate the GUI like the first guy I replied to said, and they really didn't, considering their GUI efforts and this little unknown OS called Windows. 

No, he said nothing of the sort.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
post #82 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

But we’re not taking that comparison. Because we’re not talking about Microsoft in this regard. We’re talking about Google/BlackBerry in this regard.

Sure thing¡

1. Because they did.

2. Because “not ditching command line” DOES NOT EQUAL “must insult GUI”.

That’s nowhere near the only other option.

He said that Microsoft insulted the GUI while building their own. You claimed otherwise. You were wrong.

No, he said nothing of the sort.

How exactly did Microsoft insult the GUI when NOT only they were building their own, they were also developing software for one of those GUI systems? Or do you consider the existence of MS-DOS insulting?

And okay, so let's drop Microsoft from the iPhone example. I see clearly why Blackberry was wrong: they did not see multitouch as the next big thing. But how is Google wrong? It basically mirrored Microsoft of 1984, except with their services instead of software. It also went on to make an OS based on the new concept, just like Microsoft.

So I still don't see what Microsoft was wrong in. Did they not take Apple seriously? they did. That's why they made Macintosh software. Did they not think GUI would take off? They did, that's why they made Windows. Or are they wrong in not bidding their entire company on the Macintosh and firing the entire MS-DOS development team?

post #83 of 84
Originally Posted by Ezhik View Post

So I still don't see what Microsoft was wrong in.

Do you honestly not understand how it is at best disingenuous and at worst self-damaging to mock something publicly while building it privately?

post #84 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Do you honestly not understand how it is at best disingenuous and at worst self-damaging to mock something publicly while building it privately?

When did Microsoft mock the GUI?

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Microsoft hopes to counter Apple with AI-driven 'invisible user interfaces' on future devices