or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Investors › AAPL Investors › JP Morgan sees Apple further eating away at Windows PC market with sub-$1000 iOS notebook

JP Morgan sees Apple further eating away at Windows PC market with sub-$1000 iOS notebook

post #1 of 134
Apple is excluding itself from a $63 billion market opportunity, investment firm J.P. Morgan believes, by only partially competing in the sub-$1,000 portable computing market, which is why one analyst argues Apple should introduce a new notebook powered by a more full-featured version of iOS.

Analyst Rod Hall sees Apple adding a keyboard and mouse centric user interface to its iOS platform within the next 12 months, while also keeping the touch friendly functionality of the operating system. This new, more full-featured version of iOS, which he refers to as "iAnywhere," would cannibalize sales of the MacBook Air, but also traditional Windows PCs that thrive in the price range between $500 and $1,000, he said.

In his view, that price range for notebooks and tablets is a $63-billion-per-year opportunity that Apple "barely participates in." Currently Apple has one full-fledged notebook priced under $1,000 -- the entry-level 11.6-inch MacBook Air -- while the entire iPad Air lineup falls in that range.

Hall estimates that even with the dominant iPad, Apple still only accounts for about 20 percent of the portable computing market priced between $500 and $1,000. In contrast, Apple's MacBook Range accounts for about 40 percent of notebooks priced at over $1,000, he said.

Patent
An Apple tablet docking station concept discovered by AppleInsider in 2008.

The analyst believes it's a huge market opportunity for Apple, has about 55 percent of total notebook shipments in 2013 are estimated to come from that price range. That's equivalent to about 100 million of the 180 million total laptops that were shipped last year.

"While some iPad owners are replacing laptops with the device, we believe that most use the iPad as a supplemental device to either a laptop or desktop PC," Hall said. "If iAnywhere allowed these users to flexibly use an iPad as both a PC and a tablet, we believe that many would elect to own simply one device."

This week's estimates, detailed in a research note provided to AppleInsider, are not the first time J.P. Morgan has pushed the idea of a more full-featured version of iOS. The company's prediction of a new, converged operating system existing between OS X and iOS was first revealed in February, when Hall began promoting the "iAnywhere" concept.

In his view, many consumers would be willing to pay a "slight premium" over the cost of a regular iPad to gain more laptop-style functionality. If Apple were to launch iPad keyboard, touchpad or dock, he sees it adding 15 million units to the company's calendar 2015 sales, while "conservatively" adding another $100 to the price of an iPad.

"We calculate that an iAnywhere iPad bundle would run from $774 - $899 vs. a typical lower end laptop (total cost of ownership) of $714," Hall said. "In the past an iPad purchase would likely have been seen as incremental to the cost of a laptop -- with iAnywhere it becomes the same purchase."

J.P. Morgan has maintained an "overweight" rating on AAPL stock with a price target of $585.
post #2 of 134

Someone kill me.  Please

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #3 of 134

If only iPads existed...

post #4 of 134
Why would they use iOS when they already have Mac OS X with all the components that are needed for a desktop OS? That "full-featured" version of iOS for a notebook is Mac OS X. I would have given JP Morgan more credit if they said that Apple could leverage future A-series chips by compiling Mac OS X to run on it either as Mac OS X or as a new OS name.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #5 of 134
Macbook Pro, Macbook Air, iPad Air, iPad mini.
Choose one, niche filled.
post #6 of 134

I'd buy a 12-13" ARM based rMBA.  For extreme horsepower needs I'll use my rMBP 15".  Don't need to lower price of the MBA to get my attention. Happy to trade x86 for ARM and Retina at the current price and battery levels.

"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
post #7 of 134
Kill me too...
post #8 of 134

Intelligent people see JP Morgan as nutcases

post #9 of 134
What a stupid piece of research. This is just a trigger to get investors hyped over nothing.
iPads are killing sales of full fledge pcs!!!!!
post #10 of 134
JP Morgan sees us riding robot dinosaurs to work, too. It all makes sense if you're as smart as they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snova View Post

I'd buy a 12-13" ARM based rMBA. For extreme horsepower needs I'll use my rMBP 15". Don't need to lower price of the MBA to get my attention. Happy to trade x86 for ARM and Retina at the current price and battery levels.

What apps would you run on it? If iPad apps, then choose your favorite iPad keyboard and go! If OS X apps... you'll need a tidal wave of Mac developers saying they're willing to not merely make another CPU transition (remember how long PPC->Intel took?) but support TWO architectures indefinitely! (On top of ARM iOS if they already have those apps as well.) All that just for this "in-between" unloved hybrid option that few will choose. Not happening any time in the foreseeable future. iOS will keep gaining pro power, but ARM Macs? No.

I'll stick with a nice Intel retina MBA! And sometimes an iPad keyboard cover.
post #11 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by richlo View Post

Macbook Pro, Macbook Air, iPad Air, iPad mini.
Choose one, niche filled.

Right there ! Says it all.
+1
post #12 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Someone kill me.  Please

Crap. There's already a long line for that. 1wink.gif

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #13 of 134

JP Morgan would do a great service to it's clients if they would just STFU!

post #14 of 134
More anal-ing from anal-ysts.

Why doesn't Apple bring back the eMate 300 while we're at it?

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #15 of 134
Quote:
Analyst Rod Hall sees Apple adding a keyboard and mouse centric user interface to its iOS platform within the next 12 months....

Gee, I thought that was called OS X?

Quote:
Hall estimates that even with the dominant iPad, Apple still only accounts for about 20 percent of the portable computing market priced between $500 and $1,000. In contrast, Apple's MacBook Range accounts for about 40 percent of notebooks priced at over $1,000, he said.

In other words, "What you want to do, Apple, is stop selling those more profitable machines and concentrate more on cheaper, lower-margin devices. Trust me, it'll be great."

[sigh]

post #16 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Like an Apple launch :\

post #17 of 134
Apple has said numerous times it was not going to put a touch screen on a traditional computer.
post #18 of 134

errrrr..... doesn't the macbook air start at under 1000--- and it's got OS-X which is as full-featured as you can get. Have these guys even been on the Apple website?

post #19 of 134
Q: If this is such a great idea, why isn't Microsoft with its Surface and Windows 8 system capturing the market now?

A: Maybe, because they don't meet what consumers want.
post #20 of 134

It is Android that is taking market share from Microsoft, not Apple, which is taking a long time deciding when to introduce larger screen smartphones.

post #21 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter236 View Post

It is Android that is taking market share from Microsoft, not Apple, which is taking a long time deciding when to introduce larger screen smartphones.

I don’t like reading stupidity. Blocked.

post #22 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Your post reminded me of this line from Leonard on TBBT.

Edited by SolipsismX - 4/8/14 at 1:31pm

post #23 of 134
JP Morgan is as ridiculous as their iAnywhere idea, no wonder apple doesn't want to take their money, they want nothing to do with them
post #24 of 134

I think Apple should make just one MacBook Air: a 12.4" model to replace both 11.6" and 13.3" models.

That's all I have for today.  I'm all tired and stuff.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

post #25 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post
one analyst argues Apple should introduce a new notebook powered by a more full-featured version of iOS.

It is called MacBook Air powered by OS X.

post #26 of 134

In Steve own words : We dont ship junk / We don't offer stripped down lousy products

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu0qeb_rJYU

post #27 of 134
I'm so glad that these idiots are not running Apple.
post #28 of 134

Ugh. These people are so dumb.

post #29 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

It is called MacBook Air powered by OS X.

Exactly.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #30 of 134
God save us from analysts reports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

JP Morgan sees us riding robot dinosaurs to work, too.

My favourite dinosaur is the Velociraptor.

😜
Android: pitting every phone company in the world against one, getting a higher number, and considering it a major achievement.
Android: pitting every phone company in the world against one, getting a higher number, and considering it a major achievement.
post #31 of 134

I think Apple could delve into the sub $1000 category more with an 11" MB powered by an A8. $799.  64 GB. Done.  Reserve Retina for iPad and higher end Macbook Airs.

post #32 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

My favourite dinosaur is the Velociraptor.

"I like turtles."

edit: Also: http://io9.com/jurassic-park-is-not-quite-as-a-majestic-without-its-vf-1560427711
Edited by SolipsismX - 4/8/14 at 1:39pm

post #33 of 134
Is JP Morgan's new Apple blog called iStupid? iOS isn't made for a mouse. Get over it.
post #34 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

"I like turtles."

🐢 Leonardo
🐢 Michaelangelo
🐢 Raphael or
🐢 Donatello?
post #35 of 134
Quote:

🐢 Leonardo
🐢 Michaelangelo
🐢 Raphael or
🐢 Donatello?

...just not Domino's. Nasty stuff unless combined with a six-pack. Then you don't notice, at least right away.
melior diabolus quem scies
post #36 of 134
Quote:

🐢 Leonardo
🐢 Michaelangelo
🐢 Raphael or
🐢 Donatello?

👩 Megan Fox

post #37 of 134
(Thread officially WAY off track)
post #38 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

👩 Megan Fox

That's what she dumped Transformers for?? Hmmm, I think I see a pattern.
post #39 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Someone kill me.  Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Rage View Post

Kill me too...

No need to get too serious, people. Nothing but an analyst's wide-eyed speculations. It really should be thought of as alternate reality fan fiction for institutional investors.

post #40 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

That's what she dumped Transformers for?? Hmmm, I think I see a pattern.

Both are Michael Bay vehicles so I'm not sure where the dumping occurred. Shia LaBeouf won't be in the next Transformers.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: AAPL Investors
AppleInsider › Forums › Investors › AAPL Investors › JP Morgan sees Apple further eating away at Windows PC market with sub-$1000 iOS notebook