or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple to sell two sizes of iWatch with flexible AMOLED displays this fall, prices to reach 'thousands of dollars'
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple to sell two sizes of iWatch with flexible AMOLED displays this fall, prices to reach... - Page 2

post #41 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

"Thousands of dollars"???? That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Low volume at best. Next, NFC, really? A pretty much failed tech, at least in the US? IMHO, not.

 

That's the limited edition model design to show how premium a brand Apple is. That's the jewellery. There will be cheaper models. Chill.

Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #42 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunestock View Post

Pfffft. iDon't want one

 

Where is the thing you don't iWant?

Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #43 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


What biometrics does your phone measure in your pocket?

And I need that why?

 
Where's the new Apple TV?
Reply
 
Where's the new Apple TV?
Reply
post #44 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

What biometrics does your phone measure in your pocket?

If he's happy when he sees someone. lol.gif
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #45 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post
 

Could be that Apple found his sources and severed them for good. Which would, of course, be good.

 

Kuo predicts 36" iPad for $299 !!!

Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #46 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

And I need that why?

Now it's about 'need' and not something a customer would desire? Well I guess that means smartphones, tablets, TVs and pretty much everything else humans create are out of the question.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #47 of 103
Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post
And I need that why?

 

Dude, man, if you’re not tweeting your heart rate and blood glucose level at every moment of the day, are you really living your life, man? How will your friends whom you’ve never met, have never seen, and with whom you will never share so much as a passing secret be able to keep up with your life?

 

I think there should be a few more “like” and “man” in there, but I don’t feel right writing how the kids talk these days.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
post #48 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

Dude, man, if you’re not tweeting your heart rate and blood glucose level at every moment of the day, are you really living your life, man? How will your friends whom you’ve never met, have never seen, and with whom you will never share so much as a passing secret be able to keep up with your life?

 

I think there should be a few more “like” and “man” in there, but I don’t feel right writing how the kids talk these days.

LOL 

Pazuzu has no heart and my blood glucose level is next to non-existent. Personally man like I'd prefer my biorhythm read out and an iMood ring to tell me like when I need to take a chill pill?

 
Where's the new Apple TV?
Reply
 
Where's the new Apple TV?
Reply
post #49 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwolf View Post

The NFC part of the rumor makes no sense whatsoever! Apple would presumably want their iWatch to work with as many iPhones as possible. As far as I know not a single one currently on the market supports NFC. If this Kuo character is so off on his NFC prediction, it calls the rest of his predictions into question too.

 

You are assuming in part that the NFC would be for connecting to the iPhone. "If" they did this it would be for payments and other external systems. BT is what the device would use for the phone connection. I don't really think it will have NFC, but that really depends on  whatever apple is planning for payments. Having a biometric wrist worn device for payments that wouldn't even need the iPhone would be ok in my book.

 

I'm not paying 1000s for an iWatch no matter how good it looks. If it is absurd in price, I will just get one of these fitness trackers.

post #50 of 103
Apple wouldn't launch a consumer product that costs thousands of dollars.
post #51 of 103

Good point - thanks for pointing that out.  I do actually remember one of they payment related patents mentioning BT *and* NFC.  What's the max distance on NFC?  I vaguely remember it being just a few inches - if so, swiping one's wrist above a sensor doesn't seem so convenient - BT LE seems a lot more convenient.  But who knows.

post #52 of 103
Quote:
(snipped from the article):
Battery life is expected to hit at least one day.
 

 

Wait, what?

 

I got used to electronic watch batteries lasting a year or more. Granted, mechanical watches usually needed to be wound everyday, but at least you did not have to plug them into a winding mechanism to "charge" them.

"Inspirational phrase here." - Person you never heard of here.

Reply

"Inspirational phrase here." - Person you never heard of here.

Reply
post #53 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundaboutNow View Post

Wait, what?

I got used to electronic watch batteries lasting a year or more. Granted, mechanical watches usually needed to be wound everyday, but at least you did not have to plug them into a winding mechanism to "charge" them.

That's simply not possible with today's technology. The amount of power needed to keep a simple analog or digital watch functioning is very slight.

That said, I would like to get more than a day. My Fitbit Force got at least a week and since I charged it when I took a shower it was fully charged every day. The small battery means that even a smartwatch might benefit from this type of maneuver but I'd really like more of a window for usage between charges (and have the charging mechanism be wireless).

PS: I wonder if anyone has measured how much "energy" is needed to keep a standard wind-up analog, kinetic analog, and digital watches working for a year?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #54 of 103

A lot of self-righteous know-it-alls here! NFC might be translated to LE BT but would otherwise be basically correct.

Samsung will be all over this stuff when it's announced, but good luck copying! Yes, Samsung is really feeling it.:lol: 

post #55 of 103
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
That's simply not possible with today's technology.

 

BUT, I think that the new breakthroughs in battery tech will make this a non-issue until such time as we can make powerful processing hardware truly sip electricity. Namely that new battery that plans to charge in seconds/minutes. 

 

I don’t think people would much mind taking off their watch (still not sold on the idea)/phone to charge fully while they use the restroom or get a bowl of cereal*, you know?

*Yes, only those two activities. They’ll mind in every other situation, but it’s easier to change technology than human behavior. ;)

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
post #56 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


That's simply not possible with today's technology. The amount of power needed to keep a simple analog or digital watch functioning is very slight.

That said, I would like to get more than a day. My Fitbit Force got at least a week and since I charged it when I took a shower it was fully charged every day. The small battery means that even a smartwatch might benefit from this type of maneuver but I'd really like more of a window for usage between charges (and have the charging mechanism be wireless).

PS: I wonder if anyone has measured how much "energy" is needed to keep a standard wind-up analog, kinetic analog, and digital watches working for a year?

 

I get what the realities of today's technology are, but still, capabilities aside, going from a year or more to "at least a day" is kind of a come down. However, I agree a week would be good, if possible. I wonder to what extent energy harvesting techniques might be incorporated in any iDevice to extend battery life.

"Inspirational phrase here." - Person you never heard of here.

Reply

"Inspirational phrase here." - Person you never heard of here.

Reply
post #57 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundaboutNow View Post

I get what the realities of today's technology are, but still, capabilities aside, going from a year or more to "at least a day" is kind of a come down. However, I agree a week would be good, if possible. I wonder to what extent energy harvesting techniques might be incorporated in any iDevice to extend battery life.

Kinetic charging and/or a solar-panel in the face could happen but I would doubt that. Perhaps they can use that flexible battery tech to make an ergonomic wrist band that looks decent and can extend the life of the device without having to be a huge battery in the main part of the device. (Note: the battery tech is flexible but I doubt they'd make the whole band highly flexible as this could pose certain safety and longevity hazards, but it could still be formed easier with this tech.)

But how much "energy" could possibly be gained for a really small solar panel behind other components or a small kinetic motor? I wouldn't think much but I have no way of knowing this. What if one or both of those items added an average of 10% more life to the device? Would that be worth the cost, complexity and space needed for such options over a larger battery? I'd bet against any of that but I do believe that if any company can solve the riddle and make a usability-balanced, wrist-worn computer I think it's Apple.

They could also leverage their M and A-series chip expertise to be more power efficient. I would expect them to use the M-series but an A-series as it stands now isn't practical. In fact, when we first heard about the M7 I thought about the wearables market and iFixit discovering it was a discreet chip, not built onto the A7 SoC helped back that up for me.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #58 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterkona View Post

Furthermore, rumor has it the iWatch can detect a heart attack before it happens. If this is true, $2000 is very cheap!

If you're heart doesn't stop when you see the price, then you're good to go.
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #59 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


What biometrics does your phone measure in your pocket?

 

Now that's a loaded question!

 

Did  you read the description of Pazzuzu in The Exorcist novel?

post #60 of 103
I am hoping for a liquid metal bezel with a mirror fit sapphire crystal offering a truly waterproof smart watch.
post #61 of 103
Kuo does a good job.
Just because most X are bad does not make all Xs bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post

I don't think any of these analysts let that pesky thing call facts get in the way:).  When you make stuff up from your dreams who can dispute you lol:D .

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

 

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Reply

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

 

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Reply
post #62 of 103
Ass size, seating statistics, core move patterns and the revolutionary coccyx-safety control which calls 911 if you break the bone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

What biometrics does your phone measure in your pocket?

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

 

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Reply

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

 

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Reply
post #63 of 103
nobody has the faintest idea what it'll cost.

£700 - £250 that's my guess

The iWatch will face stiff competition
post #64 of 103

It's a really interesting idea that it could be a premium/designer product, I think the assumption up until now is that it would be cheaper than the iPhone. If it really is going to compete with traditional watches, they must have achieved a level of miniaturisation that others haven't, as others don't really look like traditional watches.

post #65 of 103
Apple bring out the killer product if half of the rumours are true and then, approximately year later every technology company will Copy apples direction

Way, back in 2008, Apple co-founder and renegade Steve Wozniak "let slip" to the Telegraph that "Apple's future could lie in an 'iWatch'." And, in April 2013, an Apple board member mentioned the word "watch."

Apple CEO Tim Cook told attendees at All Things D that "the wrist is interesting" in May, thus kindling thousands of iWatch rumors across the web.
Edited by comley - 4/10/14 at 12:43am
post #66 of 103
Kuo's looking more of an Android fan to me than actually being a true analyst. NFC on iwatch?
post #67 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

Kuo just ruined his reputation on this..

Exactly. I used to respect the guy but he got played on this. 1.3" - 1.5" display can never work. This brings a crucial problem called baby software. Tiny fonts, limited room for apps and contextual data, bad usability and overall poor and limited user experince. Exactly same as with the first smartphones with little screens and buttons. Apple would never ever launch a brand new product category as a traditional concept, design and with poor experience. The only solution to this is an all-band flexible display wrapped around your wrist, only this can fix baby software and be desruptive and futuristic at the same time.

1.3" - 1.5" display is smoke and mirrors by Apple to confuse competition and analysts like Kuo. Apple knows these things leak and when it comes to a new product category, they do double down on secrecy and deal with multiple suppliers for components which will never make it into the final product.
post #68 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

What biometrics does your phone measure in your pocket?

Nothing as of yet AFAIK, so we'll just have to wait for some hard evidence.
post #69 of 103
As I got upset with the display size claim which is contrary to the most elementary Apple beliefs on software usability, experience, disruption and passion for paradigm shifts to bring products from the future, I totally overlooked this:

"Battery life is expected to hit at least one day"

Kuo has officially lost it.
post #70 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Kinetic charging and/or a solar-panel in the face could happen but I would doubt that. Perhaps they can use that flexible battery tech to make an ergonomic wrist band that looks decent and can extend the life of the device without having to be a huge battery in the main part of the device. (Note: the battery tech is flexible but I doubt they'd make the whole band highly flexible as this could pose certain safety and longevity hazards, but it could still be formed easier with this tech.)

But how much "energy" could possibly be gained for a really small solar panel behind other components or a small kinetic motor? I wouldn't think much but I have no way of knowing this. What if one or both of those items added an average of 10% more life to the device? Would that be worth the cost, complexity and space needed for such options over a larger battery? I'd bet against any of that but I do believe that if any company can solve the riddle and make a usability-balanced, wrist-worn computer I think it's Apple.

They could also leverage their M and A-series chip expertise to be more power efficient. I would expect them to use the M-series but an A-series as it stands now isn't practical. In fact, when we first heard about the M7 I thought about the wearables market and iFixit discovering it was a discreet chip, not built onto the A7 SoC helped back that up for me.

Actually, Tag Heuer is about to release the first smartphone in the world with a solar cells film between the saphire glass and the display. It's called Meridiist Infinite. This makes use of the technology in the iWatch more real than ever before. As to the battery life, we will have to wait for the first tests.
post #71 of 103
"the most expensive model in the lineup will carry a price tag of several thousand dollars"

Another nonsense. Apple is positioned as the BMW of electronics, not a Ferrari. Reaching this premium positioning in consumers' minds takes many years, products and marketing dollars. Introducing a luxury product would only confuse customers as to what Apple is and stands for. That's why premium and luxury brands are always separated - see eg. Toyota and Lexus. This is marketing 101.

Now when even Kuo turned out to be fake, what Apple analyst is left to be believed now? Sad.
post #72 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

FAIL

THIS is why people spend thousands of dollars on watches:



http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/03/28/apple-reaching-out-to-swiss-watchmakers-for-partnerships-tries-to-poach-horology-experts

http://www.statisticbrain.com/wrist-watch-industry-statistics/

Number of watches sold annually worldwide - 1,200,000,000
Number of Swiss Watches sold annually - 29,200,000
Number of watches produced by China annually - 663,000,000
Number of watches produced by Hong Kong annually - 354,000.000
Average cost of a Swiss watch - $739
Average cost of a China watch - $3
Switzerland watch market share in terms of value - 54 %
Mechanical Watch market share - 77 %
Electronic Watch market share - 23 %
Swatch / Omega annual sales - $8,880,000,000
Rolex annual sales - $4,500,000,000

Swiss watches command 54% of the revenue with under 3% of the marketshare.

Jony Ive wears a custom-made Jaeger LeCoultre Memovox watch, check eBay for used prices on that style of watch.

It's not clear how they'd combine quality Swiss craftsmanship with what they do though. Out of all the smartwatches so far, the Moto 360 looks like the best design and there was a circular concept of an Apple one here:

http://www.theverge.com/2013/8/15/4623566/iwatch-concept

I don't think a digital watch like that would sell at a ~$1000+ mark.

Sony sells their smartwatch for $99. At first, this looked like a good enough contender but look at the images on the following site:

http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/26/5147676/sony-smartwatch-2-review

That's not the right way to go and that reflects very badly on Sony IMO. The Galaxy Gear isn't selling well enough to attract counterfeits and is in the same league as the Sony:

http://www.ibtimes.com/wearable-technology-flop-chinese-counterfeiters-say-galaxy-gear-doesnt-sell-well-mass-market-1543006
http://blog.gsmarena.com/samsung-galaxy-gear-discounted-to-160/

If the Moto 360 isn't too bulky and it performs well, I'd say it could sustain $300 and fits into the premium digital watch category. It looks a little bulky in the video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrqZl2QIz0c#t=19

If Apple does tackle the high price bracket, which would seem more likely after seeing Sony's and Samsung's efforts, it won't be high volume. But would they make a single model to appeal to the high-end consumer or a single model to compete with luxury watchmakers? If they partnered with Swiss watchmakers, I don't see how they can do both mechanical and digital without compromising either. I wouldn't see them doing something as bulky as the Moto 360.

This kind of device really needs to wait for a boost in battery, kinetic and/or solar charging technology.
post #73 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post
 

FAIL

 

THIS is why people spend thousands of dollars on watches:

 

 

Try tens, hundreds or thousands of thousands of dollars for a watch.

 

Platinum would be nice.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #74 of 103
I wonder if the 2 sizes mentioned in this article are male and female sizes, as against high end model and low end model. And they are both high end.
post #75 of 103
Apple has hired a raft of medical and sleep experts to work on its iWatch project
post #76 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post


There will be two sizes, one for males and one for females. Women have smaller wrists, that's why you need a smaller, narrower device. And that's why the current smartwatches fail to find a massmarket succes. See eg Moto 360 - all the marketing materials I have seen so far picture only men. No wonder for such a bulky device. And it is bulky because you cannot squeeze 21st technology into a legacy design made for just measuring time. And you end up missing a huge female, teen, kids and seniors market.

Apple has patented a solution to make the device smaller and thinner, appealing to all ages and sexes and one which is truly revolutionary - an all-band flexible display with flexible components. This requires braveness to shift the current paradigm of what a watch is, use of cutting-edge technology and huge engineering and investment efforts. Why only Apple can do this and others fail taking the easy route? Let me quote the Designed in California ad: "If everyone is busy making everything, how can anyone perfect anything?".
post #77 of 103

This is for idiots who have money to burn.A waste of time and money period. any decent watch is just as good without all the bells and whistles attached to it.

post #78 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobleh View Post

Apple has patented a solution to make the device smaller and thinner, appealing to all ages and sexes and one which is truly revolutionary - an all-band flexible display with flexible components. This requires braveness to shift the current paradigm of what a watch is, use of cutting-edge technology and huge engineering and investment efforts. Why only Apple can do this and others fail taking the easy route? Let me quote the Designed in California ad: "If everyone is busy making everything, how can anyone perfect anything?".

If anyone can do it they can. We are talking about the company who has spent years shaving millimetres off their products. Maybe that's the reason for the recent baseband hiring also, they want to make an LTE chip so small it can go in to an iWatch (a future generation, not the 1st one).

post #79 of 103

I won't pay more than $300-$400 for one. I don't care how good it is or what it can do. If it's anything more than that, I'll start looking at a Pebble or some other "smart" watch, anything that isn't Android-powered (or Tarzan, or whatever the hell Scamdung calls it).

post #80 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwolf View Post

Good point - thanks for pointing that out.  I do actually remember one of they payment related patents mentioning BT *and* NFC.  What's the max distance on NFC?  I vaguely remember it being just a few inches - if so, swiping one's wrist above a sensor doesn't seem so convenient - BT LE seems a lot more convenient.  But who knows.

It could be a lot more convenient than taking out your phone and swiping it for payment - just put your arm up next to the sensor like your getting the plastic pen and you've paid.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple to sell two sizes of iWatch with flexible AMOLED displays this fall, prices to reach 'thousands of dollars'