or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple reportedly plans high-res 5.5" iPhone 6, all new 4.7" model for later this year

Apple reportedly plans high-res 5.5" iPhone 6, all new 4.7" model for later this year

post #1 of 75
Apple will release two new iPhones this year, with an all-new redesigned 4.7-inch model and high-resolution "phablet" type 5.5-inch version poised to take the high-end smartphone world by storm this fall.

iphone-5s-features-20130910.jpg

According to analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, Apple is planning to debut two new iPhone models with two distinct screen sizes in 2014, an unprecedented move for the company that traditionally shies away from screen size wars.

Aside from obvious size differences, the top-of-the-line 5.5-inch model will sport a higher-resolution screen at 1,920-by-1,080 pixels, which translates to 401 pixels per inch. The 4.7-inch iteration will use an oddly-spec'd 1,334-by-750 pixel display to maintain scalability with existing apps. That screen is good for a pixel density of 326 ppi.

Both handsets will use Apple's next-generation A8 system-on-chip with 1GB of LPDDR3 RAM, low temperature polysilicon in-cell touch panels and Touch ID fingerprint security. A near-field communications chip (NFC) and metal casing are also part of the build. An 8-megapixel rear-facing camera with the same f/2.2 aperture found in the iPhone 5s is expected, though Apple could include optical image stabilization to improve low-light performance.

On the aesthetics side, the iPhones' bezels are said to be 10 to 20 percent more narrow than the current iPhone 5s, while thickness is pegged at 6.5 to 7.0 millimeters. Interestingly, Kuo says Apple may move the location of the sleep/wake button to the side of the device in order to facilitate one-handed operation. Alternatively, the relocation may indicate a new feature that requires frequent presses of the power button.

While the 4.7-inch iPhone 6 will be just within Apple's guidelines of one-handed operation, the analyst believes the company will position the 5.5-inch version as a high-end phablet.

Overall, Kuo believes the 4.7-inch device will be Apple's main driver of handset sales in late 2014 and full-year shipments could hit 60 million units. The larger model may cannibalize sales of the iPad mini, but if the company can reduce the price tag of its smaller tablet, its portfolio should remain strong.

Kuo expects both iPhone 6 models to hit store shelves this fall, with Apple keeping the iPhone 5s and 5c on board as mid- and low-tier offerings. Due to the expanded handset lineup, the iPhone 4S and 4 will reach end of life in the third quarter.
post #2 of 75
Yay!!!
post #3 of 75
Kuo then finished by giving the serial numbers of the first million iPhone 6s.
post #4 of 75
I wonder if they can take on the note series
post #5 of 75
Put me down for a 4.7" iPhone; 5.5" is way too big IMHO.
post #6 of 75

Is it possible that Apple will release just one new screen size but they are secretly leaking information about two sizes to mislead the competition?

post #7 of 75
The 5.5" does not sound right.

I don't know if it makes any sense but I would think the "top" iPhone in this scenario would be the 4.7" and that the bigger one would be the less sophisticated one, with the bigger screen as a part of the trade off.
post #8 of 75
Kuo really has a bullshit dispenser in his office uh?
post #9 of 75

Reduce the price of the 5c and 5s to make room, Apple. Please. The 16 GB 5s starts at €699 in Ireland. I think it's kind of a ridiculous price.

Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #10 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunkzombie View Post

The 5.5" does not sound right.

I doesn't, but Kuo seems eerily confident about it. I have a hunch at this point that there's something to it. It'll be interesting to see what Apple's up to.

post #11 of 75

:D

post #12 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Reduce the price of the 5c and 5s to make room, Apple. Please. The 16 GB 5s starts at €699 in Ireland. I think it's kind of a ridiculous price.

Blame the people you elect -- not Apple -- for that doozy.

As a shareholder, I don't want them to lower to their price one euro-cent so that EU politicians can get their grubby hands on taxes from Apple sales.
post #13 of 75

Hopefully Apple will keep a normal sized phone around for people who can't carry around a monstrous 5+" iPhone. I don't wear baggy prison pants so it would be a real pain to try and carry around a phone bigger than the current iPhone in my pocket, and don't even mention the back pocket as an alternative. One would have to take it out to sit. I simply don't like to carry my phone around in my hands all day like the people with these gigantic phones do. Although I do find it amusing to watch these few people who have them struggle not only with using them for a call, but with where to keep their huge phones. Recently I seen a guy at work that was walking around with his note sized phone at his ear, and needing two hands to keep it there, what a riot!! I guess I shouldn't complain, if there was enough of these instances I could cancel cable as I wouldn't need any more entertainment in my day. Having said that I am sure there is a market for them, and Apple will sell more than anyone else could ever dream of selling. 

Not to derail but, speaking of the market for these huge phones, I seen an ad today that the new samsung galaxys5 is already BOGO. How the hell is that even possible? I thought samsung and android was the be all - end all for mobile devices. Would it be a desperate attempt to bolster anticipated poor sales of their fagship product? When you think about it, it really is the only way that they can compete on sales volume with Apple's incomparable products. 

post #14 of 75

This is getting tired-

just slap cellular capability on an iPad mini and call it a day.

Where's the new Apple TV?

post #15 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

:D

LOL GROSS!

post #16 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Interestingly, Kuo says Apple may move the location of the sleep/wake button to the side of the device in order to facilitate one-handed operation. Alternatively, the relocation may indicate a new feature that requires frequent presses of the power button.

No home button finally? Touch id is built into the sapphire screen? 

I think I am dreaming.

post #17 of 75
Apple will also release 4.4",4.5",4.6",4.8",4,9", and 5" iPhones.
post #18 of 75
@jason98

Home button is not the same as power button.

I personally don't like the idea of the lock button on the side mostly because it is a lot more likely for it to be pressed accidentally.

One of the most annoying design failures o Samsung devices is that the loc button and the volume buttons are located on the same position in either side of the phone, when you use one hand to lock the phone you end up changing the ringer volume.
post #19 of 75

I'm doubting very much that Apple will launch two new screen sizes in the one year.

"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
post #20 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphMouth View Post

Is it possible that Apple will release just one new screen size but they are secretly leaking information about two sizes to mislead the competition?

Mislead the competition? What is there to mislead? It's not like HTC, Samsung, LG, etc are all of a sudden saying, "OMG! Apple is creating a 5.5" phone, we better create one too." The competition already owns the phablet market. In fact, Samsung created it with the Note series. 

post #21 of 75

It is breaking news

Kuo doesn't say he thinks or what so ever. He seems confident.

Something went wrong?

post #22 of 75
This rumor is up there with Apple releasing the next iphone in June. The only thing we know for sure is that there will be a new phone this year no earlier than September. Customers who bought the iPhone 5 have to wait a full 2 years to upgrade that are on contract. I love Apple products but one has to ask why has it taken so long to release a bigger screen phone. It is obvious that samsung is waiting to copy Apple's next product, but Apple can not let their next thing be the iPhone 6.
post #23 of 75
Originally Posted by rumormill View Post
I love Apple products but

Stop it immediately.

…one has to ask why has it taken so long to release a bigger screen phone.

BECAUSE APPLE ISN’T IN THE MARKET OF RELEASING CRAP THAT NO ONE CAN USE.

BECAUSE THREE YEAR OLD, THREE POINT FIVE INCH SCREEN IPHONES SELL BETTER THAN ALL BUT ONE OF THOSE “BIGGER” PHONE MODELS.

BECAUSE THERE’S LITERALLY NOTHING TO WONDER ABOUT IF YOU TAKE LESS THAN A MINUTE TO THINK ABOUT IT.

…Apple can not let their next thing be the iPhone 6.  

Of course they can, and they will. And it won’t be that big.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

post #24 of 75
Quote:

one has to ask why has it taken so long to release a bigger screen phone.

No, one doesn't. Tim Cook has stated exactly why they haven't gone down that path yet. The only reason other manufacturers went bigger earlier is because of the poorer power efficiency of their hardware and software.

post #25 of 75
Quote:

I love Apple products but one has to ask why has it taken so long to release a bigger screen phone.

The last design change was back in 2012 and that design was probably set a couple years before that. There is also a chance that Tim Cook's comments about waiting for the technology to be there before moving to a larger displays device might hold some truth to it.

Right now I'm assuming you're thinking, "If others can launch a larger display on a smartphone then why can't Apple, and Apple has a larger display on their iPads, so how can that possibly true?" Perhaps what Apple is waiting for, as an example, is a way to use a larger display without making the device too Brobdingnagian so that it can't reasonably be used one-handed. This could be accomplished with some newer technology but also with a new design that makes the thickness less thick and making the squared edges more round so that the it fits better in the hand.

Another reason might be having to update iOS and Xcode to allow for other changes. For instance, Apple uses a 1136x640 display but I am not sure that would be good on a 4.7" or 5.5" display as that would mean a PPI of 277 and 237, respectively, which might be too low for Apple to want to claim it's Retina. This would then mean updating everything in iOS to support this new resolution pixel-for-pixel for optimum power efficiency. This isn't something they have historically taken likely as they have used 4x the number of pixels (2x resolution) for every move to Retina and despite the iPhone being a high PPI when it launched by the iPhone 3G it was on par and by the iPhone 3GS it was falling behind as Android-based device started picking up speed. Personally, I want to see a new resolution for a larger size iPhone(s) that they can use for many years to come.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #26 of 75
iPhone 4/4S is ~600,000 pixels
iPhone 5/5S is ~730,000 pixels
1,334-by-750 is ~1 Million pixels
1,920-by-1,080 is ~2 Million pixels

I really hope that they get the screen resolution right and aren't too conservative, especially since they won't revisit this for another 2 years. I realise they have been somewhat hamstrung by backwards compatibility but 1080p is a pretty important spec to hit.

Android phones have been shipping with 1,920-by-1,080 displays for a while. We also know the A7 chip can already support graphics output to ~3.15 Million pixels without breaking a sweat.
post #27 of 75

There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen.

If a large screen iPhone becomes available, fine. I just hope that there will be two or more top-of-the-line iPhones that differ not in tech/performance/features, but just screen size, and that the smaller screen phones are not short-changed in any way.

"Inspirational phrase here." - Person you never heard of here.

"Inspirational phrase here." - Person you never heard of here.

post #28 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

I really hope that they get the screen resolution right and aren't too conservative, especially since they won't revisit this for another 2 years. I realise they have been somewhat hamstrung by backwards compatibility but 1080p is a pretty important spec to hit.

Android phones have been shipping with 1,920-by-1,080 displays for a while.

1) I think it's important to get this right which, to me, means planning out many years in advance, not just 2 years of essentially the same looking device, but actually plan for many, many years of the same sizes. I don't think it's good that we'll be having iPhone apps that don't fit perfectly on the display and need to wait for developers to issue updates like we had with the iPhone 4 and iPhone 5. It's simply too much effort all around to not plan well, which is why I am leaning toward the 4" iPhone still existing.

2) How are the battery life, game graphics, size and weight for those Full HD devices? From what I've seen it's not something Apple would release… but it has been a couple years so that could happen. They are already on 16:9 which covers one of the developer hurdles since I don't most people are still using 3.5"-only apps on their iPhone 5/5S.

post #29 of 75
One thing that has been holding back Apple is the lack of resolution independence in iOS. They are getting there but right now everything (apps) assumes certain things about the size and lays out their UI on a pixel basis based on that assumption. Auto layout and other similar features allow you to start down that path and auto layout was first in iOS 6 but was a first pass that was not that easy to use. In iOS 7 it got a lot better. I expect we'll see a lot of screen resolution independence stuff at WWDC this year.
post #30 of 75
Not to make Steve turn over in his grave, but a stylus with a finer tip would be cool for the larger one. Personally, I think I would choose the 4.7. I don't need a big chunk in my pocket.
post #31 of 75
Originally Posted by rkevwill View Post
a stylus

I would be all over a stylus (or screen, or both, whichever would be required technologically) whose tip can be sensed independently of any skin.

I suppose the easiest way to do that is implement the touchscreen patent that Apple has which can distinguish users by the difference in capacitance they register to the system. Simply make a stylus (or tell third parties that they must make their styluses) capaci… tate at EXACTLY such-and-such Hz, and then the device knows to ignore all other capacitances when it senses that one. This would allow you to rest your hand on the screen while writing/drawing/etc., which would make any of those app(lications; MULTITOUCH DESKTOP MAC, HELLO) absolutely killer for, well, anything.

Oh, and there’s no chance that any of Apple’s competitors could pull anything off even remotely close to this. So that’s another couple dozen million sold.

post #32 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Powell View Post

I wonder if they can take on the note series

Not without a Digitizer of some sort.

I don't know how well it works, but the way I see it, that is the most touted feature on the Note.

If it is the most used feature on the Note, then Apple may not compete with it in the near future. They are still avoiding the stylus.

post #33 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I would be all over a stylus (or screen, or both, whichever would be required technologically) whose tip can be sensed independently of any skin.

I suppose the easiest way to do that is implement the touchscreen patent that Apple has which can distinguish users by the difference in capacitance they register to the system. Simply make a stylus (or tell third parties that they must make their styluses) capaci… tate at EXACTLY such-and-such Hz, and then the device knows to ignore all other capacitances when it senses that one. This would allow you to rest your hand on the screen while writing/drawing/etc., which would make any of those app(lications; MULTITOUCH DESKTOP MAC, HELLO) absolutely killer for, well, anything.

Oh, and there’s no chance that any of Apple’s competitors could pull anything off even remotely close to this. So that’s another couple dozen million sold.

This already exists. Has for years. Microsoft and Samsung both utilize it in WACOM digitizer displays via palm blocking/rejection technology. 

post #34 of 75
Originally Posted by Lloydbm4 View Post
Microsoft and Samsung both utilize it in WACOM digitizer displays via palm blocking/rejection technology. 

The Wacom tablets with built-in screens can accept capacitive touch from both their included styluses and your fingers?

post #35 of 75
An NFC chip?

No, I don't think so.
post #36 of 75
The A8 will have only 1GB? I hope that's wrong because that would be the same as the past few generations, but with the faster memory type. It would be especially disappointing if the new iPads also have 1GB. On Google Earth, I'm constantly reaching the limit...
post #37 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Blame the people you elect -- not Apple -- for that doozy.

As a shareholder, I don't want them to lower to their price one euro-cent so that EU politicians can get their grubby hands on taxes from Apple sales.

Good argument if delinquent on facts.

1) the VAT rate is national not EU
2) the higher the original price the higher the tax.
3) in the absence of VAT the cost is 568 which is high.

Not that VAT isn't ridiculously high.but facts matter.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #38 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

1biggrin.gif

Vey funny - NOT. In my opinion the iPhone 5/5s is just about the perfect size for a PHONE, which is its primary function. Slim enough to hold comfortably in the hand and a good enough distance between the earpiece and the microphone. In a mobile phone I want a phone that can do messaging, emails and photos rather than a tablet that can make the odd phone call. If the latter was the case, the iPad mini retina is perfect.
post #39 of 75
Each iPhone 6 will come with a non - removable factory installed selfie of Kuo and a Tim Cook 3D live wallpaper and holographic emoji of the two.
post #40 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

.. A near-field communications chip (NFC) and metal casing are also part of the build...

Ok, you lost me there, Mr. Kuo. Why would they add an NFC chip now, when they decided not to years ago. Its not a new feature, nobody is using it in handsets that DO have it and Apple has iBeacon which can do the same and more.

I love how in these articles it always starts with "XX speculates that..." but in the middle of the article its worded more like "and WILL have this and absolutely WILL have that.."

Tell me when you got some real news.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple reportedly plans high-res 5.5" iPhone 6, all new 4.7" model for later this year
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple reportedly plans high-res 5.5" iPhone 6, all new 4.7" model for later this year