or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple reportedly plans high-res 5.5" iPhone 6, all new 4.7" model for later this year
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple reportedly plans high-res 5.5" iPhone 6, all new 4.7" model for later this year - Page 2

post #41 of 75
Kuo is overdoing it with the NFC being part of iPhone 6. We could guess Apple would increase the screen size again to 4.7" but we can take 5.5" as a phablet fan's opinion.
post #42 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunkzombie View Post

The 5.5" does not sound right.

I agree, mainly because of the display resolution fragmentation.
post #43 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Blame the people you elect -- not Apple -- for that doozy.

As a shareholder, I don't want them to lower to their price one euro-cent so that EU politicians can get their grubby hands on taxes from Apple sales.

Good argument if delinquent on facts.

1) the VAT rate is national not EU
2) the higher the original price the higher the tax.
3) in the absence of VAT the cost is 568 which is high.

Not that VAT isn't ridiculously high.but facts matter.

Tell that to Hungary! (27%)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Value_added_tax#Tax_rates

Oh, Wiki; nevermind¡

Thank you.
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
Reply
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
Reply
post #44 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Blame the people you elect -- not Apple -- for that doozy.

As a shareholder, I don't want them to lower to their price one euro-cent so that EU politicians can get their grubby hands on taxes from Apple sales.

Good argument if delinquent on facts.

1) the VAT rate is national not EU
2) the higher the original price the higher the tax.
3) in the absence of VAT the cost is 568 which is high.

Not that VAT isn't ridiculously high.but facts matter.

For fact-delinquency, look in the mirror. ;-)

You forgot:
1) Exchange rate uncertainty.
2) Higher warehousing/distribution/retailing costs (cost of labor is much higher in the EU compared to the US, whether for FedEx truck drivers or retail employees, as is cost of fuel).
3) End-of-life laws in the EU that require consumer electronics manufacturers to build in the cost of disposal and recycling.
4) Competitor pricing strategies -- e.g., what is the relative price of an S4 in Ireland v. the US?
post #45 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post


For fact-delinquency, look in the mirror. ;-)

You forgot:
1) Exchange rate uncertainty.
2) Higher warehousing/distribution/retailing costs (cost of labor is much higher in the EU compared to the US, whether for FedEx truck drivers or retail employees, as is cost of fuel).
3) End-of-life laws in the EU that require consumer electronics manufacturers to build in the cost of disposal and recycling.
4) Competitor pricing strategies -- e.g., what is the relative price of an S4 in Ireland v. the US?

 

All valid points ( except possibly labor costs, it depends on the country) but not related to your original points, or my rebuttal. 

 

Lets all agree that VAT sucks.

I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #46 of 75

-sigh-

I guess it is a sign of the times we're living in.

 

I just hope that Apple updates the 3.5" iPhone as well. It is the perfect size for an on the go device.

post #47 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The Wacom tablets with built-in screens can accept capacitive touch from both their included styluses and your fingers?

Yes. Seems like Samsung has been using that tech since 2011.

http://blog.gsmarena.com/samsung-galaxy-note-uses-a-wacom-digitizer-for-precision-stylus-tracking/
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #48 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post


For fact-delinquency, look in the mirror. ;-)

You forgot:
1) Exchange rate uncertainty.
2) Higher warehousing/distribution/retailing costs (cost of labor is much higher in the EU compared to the US, whether for FedEx truck drivers or retail employees, as is cost of fuel).
3) End-of-life laws in the EU that require consumer electronics manufacturers to build in the cost of disposal and recycling.
4) Competitor pricing strategies -- e.g., what is the relative price of an S4 in Ireland v. the US?

 

All valid points ( except possibly labor costs, it depends on the country) but not related to your original points, or my rebuttal. 

 

Lets all agree that VAT sucks.

Actually, (2) and (3) -- and thus, indirectly, (4) -- are very related to my original point, which was more broadly about the cost of regulation/taxes/mandates on consumer goods in the EU compared to the US.

post #49 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumormill View Post

...s but one has to ask why has it taken so long to release a bigger screen phone. It is obvious that samsung is waiting to copy Apple's next product, but Apple can not let their next thing be the iPhone 6.

You're confusing capability with choice. Apple chooses not to create a large phone at this time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr O View Post

-sigh-


I guess it is a sign of the times we're living in.

I just hope that Apple updates the 3.5" iPhone as well. It is the perfect size for an on the go device.

Sorry, but Apple won't keep the 3.5" after the 4S is EOL.
post #50 of 75
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

 

Hmm. The demos I’m seeing aren’t showing or acknowledging that. It seems like if it was the case that it wouldn’t be wholly capacitive in nature, since traditional Wacom tech only accepts input from their styluses.

post #51 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

Hmm. The demos I’m seeing aren’t showing or acknowledging that. It seems like if it was the case that it wouldn’t be wholly capacitive in nature, since traditional Wacom tech only accepts input from their styluses.

 

I can verify it on the Note 3.  As long as the stylus is close enough to be registered by the screen (hovering slightly more than a centimeter above the display) the screen won't respond to my finger.

post #52 of 75
The two different pixel resolutions, with one being standard and the other isn't, doesn't make sense at all Plus the fact that Apple has never used a standard HD resolution for any of its iDevices (not even on its Macbook/iMac except for the 21.5" iMac). Plus the fact that this would bring screen fragmentation to 4 different supported resolutions just for the iPhone including the current 960*640 (iPhone 4S) and 1136*640 (4" iPhone). Worst than Android.
post #53 of 75
Those specs are strangely specific, but I have real trouble seeing Apple sticking with such a low resolution for the 4.7". Doesn't make any sense. Article says "to maintain scalability with existing apps." - well what about the 'scalability' for the 5.5 version? You think they're going to release two new phones with different resolutions to 'help' developers? If they're going 1920x1080 on the 5.5, they will absolutely go 1920x1080 on the 4.7 as well. Over a year ago HTC had a 16:9, 4.7" screen with 1920x1080 - and this rumor says Apple won't match that for the next presumably 2 generations of iPhones? No way. The tech is there. They'll have the same resolutions, same phone, two sizes.
post #54 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Hmm. The demos I’m seeing aren’t showing or acknowledging that. It seems like if it was the case that it wouldn’t be wholly capacitive in nature, since traditional Wacom tech only accepts input from their styluses.

The screen can act as wholly capacitive, but then becomes resistive acting with the Wacom stylus.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #55 of 75
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post
The screen can act as wholly capacitive, but then becomes resistive acting with the Wacom stylus.

 

AH, see, there. Thanks for the clarification. Apple’s solution is wholly capacitive. It’ll be interesting to see someone else show a demo of capacitance differences to compare (because Apple wouldn’t demo it, they’d release it).

post #56 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


The screen can act as wholly capacitive, but then becomes resistive acting with the Wacom stylus.

 

I don't think the screen becomes resistive.  The tip of the stylus is pressure-sensitive and transmits data of the intensity of the pressure to the digitizer.

post #57 of 75
I usually believe what Kuo tells us, but not so much this time. As others have said here a 5.5 inch iPhone doesn't make much sense. If there is something to this then maybe that 5.5 inch display will be heading for a next-gen iPod Touch with the same resolution as the 4.7 inch iPhone. But that seems quite unlikely to happen too...we'll see?
post #58 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApplePieGuy View Post
 

Hopefully Apple will keep a normal sized phone around for people who can't carry around a monstrous 5+" iPhone. I don't wear baggy prison pants so it would be a real pain to try and carry around a phone bigger than the current iPhone in my pocket, and don't even mention the back pocket as an alternative. One would have to take it out to sit. I simply don't like to carry my phone around in my hands all day like the people with these gigantic phones do. Although I do find it amusing to watch these few people who have them struggle not only with using them for a call, but with where to keep their huge phones. Recently I seen a guy at work that was walking around with his note sized phone at his ear, and needing two hands to keep it there, what a riot!! I guess I shouldn't complain, if there was enough of these instances I could cancel cable as I wouldn't need any more entertainment in my day. Having said that I am sure there is a market for them, and Apple will sell more than anyone else could ever dream of selling. 

Not to derail but, speaking of the market for these huge phones, I seen an ad today that the new samsung galaxys5 is already BOGO. How the hell is that even possible? I thought samsung and android was the be all - end all for mobile devices. Would it be a desperate attempt to bolster anticipated poor sales of their fagship product? When you think about it, it really is the only way that they can compete on sales volume with Apple's incomparable products. 

I wear Diesel straight leg jeans and I can fit almost any phone in my pocket and have it feel comfy.  I have a Lumia 920, and it is not thin at all.  A larger iPhone will be fine in your pocket.

post #59 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApplePieGuy View Post
Not to derail but, speaking of the market for these huge phones, I seen an ad today that the new samsung galaxys5 is already BOGO. How the hell is that even possible? I thought samsung and android was the be all - end all for mobile devices. Would it be a desperate attempt to bolster anticipated poor sales of their fagship product? When you think about it, it really is the only way that they can compete on sales volume with Apple's incomparable products. 

 

Are you sure it's Samsung offering the BOGO deal or is it a carrier deal to try to lure customers to one carrier over another?

"Proof is irrelevant" - Solipsism
Reply
"Proof is irrelevant" - Solipsism
Reply
post #60 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadbag View Post

One thing that has been holding back Apple is the lack of resolution independence in iOS. They are getting there but right now everything (apps) assumes certain things about the size and lays out their UI on a pixel basis based on that assumption. Auto layout and other similar features allow you to start down that path and auto layout was first in iOS 6 but was a first pass that was not that easy to use. In iOS 7 it got a lot better. I expect we'll see a lot of screen resolution independence stuff at WWDC this year.

 

“Resolution independence” is a term that has been used to describe a lot of things.

 

On iOS, auto-layout could be currently described as resolution independence, on a strict sense, because it only deals with changes in resolutions, but assumes the same PPI.

 

What is not in iOS right now is “PPI independence”. The 2x retina trick is confined to work on a screen which has exactly double the resolution and PPI.

 

While auto-layout enables the reflow of the UI structure on different resolution, iOS doesn’t include any way to fractionally scale UI elements themselves like buttons and touch targets to compensate for a non-integer change to the PPI over or under 326PPI.

 

Going over or under 326 PPI means that iOS apps would show either uselessly big or too small buttons and other standard UI elements.

 

Note that the 9.7” iPad does have a different PPI, but it’s only slightly lower at 265, which makes the UI only slightly larger.  At least it’s not smaller (which would happen if it had more than 326 PPI), which means that the UI would’ve been too small to use at 400PPI for example.

 

Android has had auto-layout facilities for a long time because of how it has to deal with multiple resolutions, and the whole interface is scaled to compensate for the different PPI. 

 

Because of that, the Android interface is a little blurry because of all the anti-aliasing from virtual pixels not being aligned with real screen pixels. That’s why ultra high resolution screens are useful on Android, as they hide the anti-aliasing artifacts.

 

Apple has been pretty adamant at keeping iOS “pixel perfect” since its beginning. Maybe they will change course with iOS 8, but I think it would be much easier for devs if they all kept the new devices at 326PPI (but with different resolutions to make bigger screens) so that devs would simply have to let the layout reflow using auto-layout without having to worry about a change in touch target and UI size.

 

post #61 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

Are you sure it's Samsung offering the BOGO deal or is it a carrier deal to try to lure customers to one carrier over another?

It's Sammy. They didn't spend $14 billion on just commercials and ads.
post #62 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Apple will also release 4.4",4.5",4.6",4.8",4,9", and 5" iPhones.

And 4.67".
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #63 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

It's Sammy. They didn't spend $14 billion on just commercials and ads.
So you can get the BOGO at all carriers? That's nuts and certainly a bad sign for Samsung's new phone.
"Proof is irrelevant" - Solipsism
Reply
"Proof is irrelevant" - Solipsism
Reply
post #64 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

So you can get the BOGO at all carriers? That's nuts and certainly a bad sign for Samsung's new phone.

BOGO at one carrier, $0 down at another. It's sad they need to do this for a brand new phone.
post #65 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post


BOGO at one carrier, $0 down at another. It's sad they need to do this for a brand new phone.

 

Ah, so these are carrier specific deals implemented by the carriers (not Samsung) to try to sway you to their services over their competitions.  That makes more sense.

"Proof is irrelevant" - Solipsism
Reply
"Proof is irrelevant" - Solipsism
Reply
post #66 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

Ah, so these are carrier specific deals implemented by the carriers (not Samsung) to try to sway you to their services over their competitions.  That makes more sense.

Not really. I'm sure Sammy has a say in it and carriers aren't willingly going to lose money on an end-user sale unless they get money on the back-end.
post #67 of 75

I do think we will see NFC on the iPhone 6 4.7" and 5.5" models.

 

Here's the reason why: nobody has produced a Bluetooth 4.0 (LE) point of sale terminal anywhere in the world, while NFC point of sale terminals are common sights in Japan, South Korea and parts of Europe. I think at the insistence of Japanese and South Korean cellphone carriers, Apple has decided to put in an NFC radio/antenna subsystem, especially if that antenna also doubles as the Bluetooth 4.0 (LE) antenna. Because the case of the iPhone 6 4.7" and 5.5" models are completely brand new (it owes nothing to the iPhone 5/5S design), Apple could incorporate the latest technology to incorporate two radio and antenna subsystems, one for cellphone signals and Wi-Fi signals and one for NFC and Bluetooth signals but in a way that it won't compromise the thickness of the phone itself.

 

One thing Apple could pull off is the use of a new lithium-ion battery design. Several lithium-ion battery manufacturers have been test producing a new generation of dry-electrode lithium-ion batteries that promise way more power storage for the same battery size; if they can start ramping up production now, the new iPhones could be among the world's first consumer devices to use this new battery technology, one that could promise a reasonably thin phone case design but with much longer battery life per charge than on the iPhone 5S.

post #68 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacto7254 View Post

I do think we will see NFC on the iPhone 6 4.7" and 5.5" models.

Not going to happen. Apple has moved on.
post #69 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Not going to happen. Apple has moved on.

I still don't know of any other technology that offers similar or better wireless security than NFC.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #70 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post


Not going to happen. Apple has moved on.

 

I disagree, because Apple is finding out that no manufacturer of point of sale terminals wants to build a Bluetooth 4.0 (LE) compatible point of sale terminal. Also, the range of Bluetooth 4.0 makes it potentially vulnerable to hacking, unlike NFC, which only has a range of a few inches (enough for a "tap to pay" function like you see with mobile payments common in Japan and South Korea).

 

With modern antenna technology, Apple could build a single antenna that could support both NFC and Bluetooth 4.0 at the same time, so there are no major concerns about adding NFC making the phone too big.

post #71 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacto7254 View Post

I disagree, because Apple is finding out that no manufacturer of point of sale terminals wants to build a Bluetooth 4.0 (LE) compatible point of sale terminal. Also, the range of Bluetooth 4.0 makes it potentially vulnerable to hacking, unlike NFC, which only has a range of a few inches (enough for a "tap to pay" function like you see with mobile payments common in Japan and South Korea).

With modern antenna technology, Apple could build a single antenna that could support both NFC and Bluetooth 4.0 at the same time, so there are no major concerns about adding NFC making the phone too big.

I think Apple will utilize Passbook somehow with Touch ID to pull-up a credit card in barcode form. Almost every vendor has a bar code scanner.
post #72 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

I think Apple will utilize Passbook somehow with Touch ID to pull-up a credit card in barcode form. Almost every vendor has a bar code scanner.

Right now, with Passbook you can use a variety of cards that will appear on your Lock Screen when you are in range of a retail location. You then swipe over it from left to right and it reveals the pass with a barcode, providing that retailer has added that feature to their Passbook pass. No unlocking of the device is required for this task.

This means that anyone that steals my iPhone could use it at Starbucks before I wipe it (or even after I wipe it if they take a photo of the barcode with their phone and then use that image to pass elsewhere. Not a big deal as the risk is minimal and I auto-recharge the card by $50 once it's below $10 so we're talking no more than $60 being lost.

With a CC or debit card* that could more of an issue so having Touch ID or a PIN to help verify you are the card owner would be nice. That said, the above method used with my Starbuck Passbook pass is just as secure as the plastic card which would give the user the same access if stolen so having any 2nd-tier authentication at checkout would increase security considerably but I would bet the average person**is still weary of anything secure of electronics are involved.


* Is DC for debit card an acceptable abbreviation? I've never seen it but I feel like if we can use CC for credit card we should be able to use DC for debit card without any confusion if they are used in tandem.
** I wonder how many average persons changed their passwords for corrected websites affected by Heartbleed?

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #73 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Right now, with Passbook you can use a variety of cards that will appear on your Lock Screen when you are in range of a retail location. You then swipe over it from left to right and it reveals the pass with a barcode, providing that retailer has added that feature to their Passbook pass. No unlocking of the device is required for this task.

This means that anyone that steals my iPhone could use it at Starbucks before I wipe it (or even after I wipe it if they take a photo of the barcode with their phone and then use that image to pass elsewhere. Not a big deal as the risk is minimal and I auto-recharge the card by $50 once it's below $10 so we're talking no more than $60 being lost.

With a CC or debit card* that could more of an issue so having Touch ID or a PIN to help verify you are the card owner would be nice. That said, the above method used with my Starbuck Passbook pass is just as secure as the plastic card which would give the user the same access if stolen so having any 2nd-tier authentication at checkout would increase security considerably but I would bet the average person**is still weary of anything secure of electronics are involved.


* Is DC for debit card an acceptable abbreviation? I've never seen it but I feel like if we can use CC for credit card we should be able to use DC for debit card without any confusion if they are used in tandem.
** I wonder how many average persons changed their passwords for corrected websites affected by Heartbleed?

But isn't it also true that anyone that steals an NFC enable phone can use your NFC data? That's another reason why I probably won't use a mobile phone wallet.
post #74 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

But isn't it also true that anyone that steals an NFC enable phone can use your NFC data? That's another reason why I probably won't use a mobile phone wallet.

NFC is just a short-range, wireless loop technology so there is no inherent NFC data like there is no inherent BT or WiFi data. I use 1Password which has a lot of information about me. If that gets accessed someone really has every piece of information on me*. I would expect that Apple would keep any private card data encrypted in the secure enclave of your device or solely on Apple's servers (like they are now) so that it would unlikely for something to figure out how to access that data before you had a chance to cancel those cards. In fact, it's still much, much easier for someone to steal a card from your wallet or even just copy the numbers and name of a card from wallet. I bet with today's smartphone cameras I could easily keep the camera running and then analyze frames of people in a checkout line to gather plenty of card and driver's license data. Probably even PIN numbers.



* Including my vaccinations. I wish 1Password would add a health card option with expiry dates that will remind you when it's time to get more shots, checkups, and of course keep track of various medical visits and procedures

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #75 of 75
I think that the 5.5" iPhone is perfect, I would like to get the 128 GB Version. I'm glad that Apple has steped up and are building larger iPhones so I want have to strain my eyes to watch videos and look at my apps. Way To Go Apple, I Applaud You!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple reportedly plans high-res 5.5" iPhone 6, all new 4.7" model for later this year
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple reportedly plans high-res 5.5" iPhone 6, all new 4.7" model for later this year