or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple's 2014 iPads to sport Touch ID & TSMC-built A8 CPU, 12.9" iPad unlikely till 2015
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's 2014 iPads to sport Touch ID & TSMC-built A8 CPU, 12.9" iPad unlikely till 2015

post #1 of 48
Thread Starter 
Apple will reportedly introduce new iPad Airs and Retina iPad minis later this year that will feature the company's latest A8 mobile processor and new Touch ID sensor. Meanwhile, prices of older iPads are expected to inch downward while an effort to deliver a larger 12.9-inch entertainment tablet shapes up to drive growth next year.

Smart Cover


In a research note obtained by AppleInsider, well-connect analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI said information gathered from his sources suggest Apple will use a combination of product refreshes and price adjustments to drive 'moderate growth' in its tablet segment through the end of the calendar year.

A so-called iPad Air 2 will reportedly launch a bit earlier this year -- likely late in the third quarter instead of early in the fourth -- and include a next-generation A8 mobile processor manufactured for Apple by TSMC, a Touch ID fingerprint sensor, and an 8MP rear-facing camera.

According to Kuo, who boasts a respectable track record of predicting Apple's future product introductions, the iPad mini with Retina display will also get an upgrade with an A8 and Touch ID sensor despite failing to sell in the volume the iPad maker had originally expected.

The analyst blames the slower than expected sales of the latest iPad mini with Retina on Apple having repeated the same mistake it made years ago with the full-sized iPad when it thickened the device in order to build in the higher-resolution display.

"This change proved unpopular among consumers," he wrote. "We think iPad mini with Retina display made the same mistake, explaining why it's not selling as well as the previous generation of iPad mini."

This year's iPad mini with Retina display will maintain the same form factor as the current model but initially ship in limited volumes, while the previous year's model may continue to be manufactured and sold at a reduced cost.

Separately, Apple is reportedly working on a 12.9" iPad to generate new growth momentum via a richer entertainment and productivity experience. However, the analyst said the product is unlikely to make its way to market until next year, as Apple is believed to working on new usability features to accompany the release.

"With the 12.9" iPad, we think Apple will come up with a new user interface that's more innovative and intuitive, so that input will be as efficient as a device with keyboard," Kuo said.

Overall, the analyst is forecasting the new iPads to deliver moderate or "flattish" year-over-year growth for Apple in 2014 to about 73.5 million units.
post #2 of 48
Personally I wouldn't consider this "breaking" news. Mostly because I expected it since it was included on the phone.

I know several iPad 2 owners who are literally waiting for "Touch ID" to upgrade their iPad.
post #3 of 48
I don't understand how the slower iPad mini with Retina sales can be compared to the slower sales of the iPad 3, especially considering it's not noticeably thicker and it's packed with the same internal components as the Air?

Did that little extra thickness really play into it? I don't even notice it on my riPad mini.
post #4 of 48
FIVE consecutive breaking articles based upon Ming''s words! This has to be a record!!
post #5 of 48
enough with notifications for "breaking" rumors!!!

I only want notifications when Apple releases a product... I.E. "Apple releases OS X 10.9.x" (public, NOT beta) or "Apple confirms new product announcement...."
post #6 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by benji888 View Post

enough with notifications for "breaking" rumors!!!

I only want notifications when Apple releases a product... I.E. "Apple releases OS X 10.9.x" (public, NOT beta) or "Apple confirms new product announcement...."


So then stop coming here.

post #7 of 48

Very interesting.

 

I think Apple should GO-BIG this year on iPad by COMPLETELY KILLING all old models and releasing this year's models at a $100 reduction.

 

Making the only two models of iPad available:

 

iPad Air with A8 and Touch ID starting at $399 and iPad mini Retina with A8 and Touch ID starting at $299. That would drive sales big time and would make the iPad a way more appealing product in the marketplace. It would really simplify the whole iPad product lineup as well which would be a great thing for Apple and for potential Apple customers. Not to mention it'd give all new home and education iPad customers an amazing first time experience. It'd be a really aggressive move. This I'd love to see.

 

Besides, most new iPad customers go for the 32 GB model and buy the Apple Smart Case so Apple would continue to profit well on the product. And Android tablets makers would have a heart attack.


Edited by Ireland - 4/9/14 at 5:53pm
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #8 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post


So then stop coming here.

He has a point.

AI now has 6 Breaking news articles for one analyst's prophecies. This is what we expect immediately following an Apple event with real products being introduced, but not for rumours and conjecture. At this point I have think Kuo is paying AI for these articles.


"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #9 of 48

This news would be enough reason to not waste time having TSMC tool up for A7 production. To paraphrase Schiller, Samsung must really be feeling it now.

post #10 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Very interesting.

I think Apple should GO-BIG this year on iPad by COMPLETELY KILLING all old models and releasing this year's models at a $100 reduction.

Making the only two models of iPad would be:

iPad Air with A8 and Touch ID starting at $399 and iPad mini with Retina with A8 and Touch ID starting at $299. That would drive sales big time and would make the iPad a way more appealing product over any Android counterpart. And it would really simplify the whole iPad product lineup as well which would be a great thing for Apple and for potential Apple customers. Not to mention It'd give all new home and education iPad customers an amazing experience. It'd be a really aggressive model. This I'd love to see.

What motivation do they have for dropping the price when they already dominate the entire viable aspect of the tablet market? If you say so they can sell more do you not recall how long it took for supply to catch up with demand. You might as well say "Apple would generate a lot more interest in the Mac Pro if they sold it for $499." True, but not exactly a smart business move.

How would losing $100 net profit per unit help them. Note that I don't think they get $100 net profit from any of the iPads until you get into the higher capacity and cellular radio versions.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #11 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

What motivation do they have for dropping the price when they already dominate the entire viable aspect of the tablet market?

 

Because like I say, most costumers opt for the 32 GB model with a case, so in a way the 16 GB model would be more of a way of enticing them in. This is way better than merely keeping the price at $499 and making the entry level iPad 32 GB. And what better time to reduce the price by $100 when you're on top. This would cement their position and would burn the competition alive.

 

Quote:
You might as well say 'Apple would generate a lot more interest in the Mac Pro if they sold it for $499'.

 

Tallest, is that you?

Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #12 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Because like I say, most costumers opt for the 32 GB model with a case, so in a way the 16 GB model would be more of a way of enticing them in. This is way better than merely keeping the price at $499 and making the entry level iPad 32 GB. And what better time to reduce the price by $100 when you're on top. This would cement their position and would burn the competition alive.

So the 16GB iPad Air would be $399 and the 32GB iPad Air would jump $200 to $599, and then another 32 and 64GB after that is only $100? That's going to fly. And if you mean that all the prices are lowered by $100 that wouldn't happen unless sales are heavily waning or there is a potential threat on the rise, which I don't see.

Their goal is to make as much profit as possible so selling slightly more units than right now isn't going to help that if they have to lose their profits to do it.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #13 of 48

All ri~ght! Break out the “NO WE’RE STILL RIGHT IT’S JUST NOT COMING OUT UNTIL NEXT YEAR PLEASE BELIEVE US” nonsense!

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #14 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobodyy View Post

I don't understand how the slower iPad mini with Retina sales can be compared to the slower sales of the iPad 3, especially considering it's not noticeably thicker and it's packed with the same internal components as the Air?

Did that little extra thickness really play into it? I don't even notice it on my riPad mini.

If anything, the big reduction in weight to the full-sized iPad (iPad Air) caused buyers with money for the retina mini to simply jump up market to the Air.
Edited by RadarTheKat - 4/9/14 at 6:33pm
I don't care about what the ignorant masses perceive as truth. I'm concerned with the facts on the ground.
Reply
I don't care about what the ignorant masses perceive as truth. I'm concerned with the facts on the ground.
Reply
post #15 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Very interesting.

I think Apple should GO-BIG this year on iPad by COMPLETELY KILLING all old models and releasing this year's models at a $100 reduction.

Making the only two models of iPad available:

iPad Air with A8 and Touch ID starting at $399 and iPad mini Retina with A8 and Touch ID starting at $299. That would drive sales big time and would make the iPad a way more appealing product in the marketplace. It would really simplify the whole iPad product lineup as well which would be a great thing for Apple and for potential Apple customers. Not to mention it'd give all new home and education iPad customers an amazing first time experience. It'd be a really aggressive move. This I'd love to see.

Besides, most new iPad customers go for the 32 GB model and buy the Apple Smart Case so Apple would continue to profit well on the product. And Android tablets makers would have a heart attack.

I'll make one modification. Keep the starting prices the same, but start at 32GB rather than 16GB. This would give the consumer more value for their money without Apple starting down the slippery slope of discounting their wares. On second thought, I think the iPad is already sufficiently far ahead of the competition that Apple can simply keep on keeping on the way they are, no new pricing model or SKU reduction needed.
I don't care about what the ignorant masses perceive as truth. I'm concerned with the facts on the ground.
Reply
I don't care about what the ignorant masses perceive as truth. I'm concerned with the facts on the ground.
Reply
post #16 of 48

This reads like stagnant growth to me. Once you buy one iPad do you really need an upgrade every year?

 
Where's the new Apple TV?
 
And still waiting for SolipsismX to prove his accusation:
"And yet they haven't loved Google Wallet which you claimed was the exact same thing and kept posting...
Reply
 
Where's the new Apple TV?
 
And still waiting for SolipsismX to prove his accusation:
"And yet they haven't loved Google Wallet which you claimed was the exact same thing and kept posting...
Reply
post #17 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

This reads like stagnant growth to me.

Of course it does.


PS: You can no girth or be stagnant but I think stagnant growth is redundant.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #18 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


Of course it does.


PS: You can no girth or be stagnant but I think stagnant growth is redundant.

No girth , no mirth.

 

Add cellular capability on the mini and forget growing iPhones to compete again Samsung phatphones.

 
Where's the new Apple TV?
 
And still waiting for SolipsismX to prove his accusation:
"And yet they haven't loved Google Wallet which you claimed was the exact same thing and kept posting...
Reply
 
Where's the new Apple TV?
 
And still waiting for SolipsismX to prove his accusation:
"And yet they haven't loved Google Wallet which you claimed was the exact same thing and kept posting...
Reply
post #19 of 48
Rumored 12.9" iPad delayed and then summarily cancelled.
post #20 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadarTheKat View Post

If anything, the big reduction in weight to the full-sized iPad (iPad Air) caused buyers with money for the retina mini to simply jump up market to the Air.

Ah! I didn't think about that but it makes sense.
post #21 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post
 

This reads like stagnant growth to me.

 

Go take a holiday from here.

Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #22 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The analyst blames the slower than expected sales of the latest iPad mini with Retina on Apple having thickened the device in order to build in the higher-resolution display.

"This change proved unpopular among consumers," he wrote. "We think iPad mini with Retina display made the same mistake, explaining why it's not selling as well as the previous generation of iPad mini."
 

Is this guy a complete frigging moron?? No one has any idea that's the case. No one.

post #23 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post
 

 

Go take a holiday from here.

Well I suppose the truth must hurt because where's the innovation?

Touch ID -which it should have had last year? and a faster processor? Meh.

 
Where's the new Apple TV?
 
And still waiting for SolipsismX to prove his accusation:
"And yet they haven't loved Google Wallet which you claimed was the exact same thing and kept posting...
Reply
 
Where's the new Apple TV?
 
And still waiting for SolipsismX to prove his accusation:
"And yet they haven't loved Google Wallet which you claimed was the exact same thing and kept posting...
Reply
post #24 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Well I suppose the truth must hurt because where's the innovation?
Touch ID -which it should have had last year? and a faster processor? Meh.

Should? What obligation did they have? Would you have been OK if the random iPhone 5S didn't come with Touch ID because they used the components in the iPads? Of course you would because that would be a bad move by Apple and you just can't wait for the day that the 90's Apple happens again despite no such evidence of that.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #25 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Rumored 12.9" iPad delayed and then summarily cancelled.

 

Noooooooooooooo... [runs off, wipes away tears]

post #26 of 48
Hey this is we all know that after Oct22 ... Stop saying news like that.. Bring rumor Like Mac book Power Button or Touch Pad with Touch ID or Mac min with A8 chip.. Uh ha .. Make Mock Up and say these are leak.... these are awesome????
post #27 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

This reads like stagnant growth to me. Once you buy one iPad do you really need an upgrade every year?

From my perspective Apple really screwed up this year, A7 was a nice upgrade but unfortunately they failed to up grade RAM and flash at each price point. This put me off doing an upgrade this year. Let's face it the price of flash has dropped so far there is no rational explanation for the line up of iPads with the current memory sizes. That and iPad really needs more RAM to fully realize its potential.

My hope is that A8 supports LPDDR 4 RAM to allow Apple to atleast double RAM while keeping power usage in check. That would solve the RAM problem. For flash simply using a larger flash device would be nice but maybe they could implement a higher performance interface. Performance isn't simply about the CPU and it is about time for Apple attack the other shortcomings in the iPad.
post #28 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

He has a point.

AI now has 6 Breaking news articles for one analyst's prophecies. This is what we expect immediately following an Apple event with real products being introduced, but not for rumours and conjecture. At this point I have think Kuo is paying AI for these articles.
]

I agree. The whoring is getting pretty obvious.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #29 of 48
Well if you want news about Apple here it is.

Greg Christie resigned.
New seed of 10.9.3 released.

And that's a fairly busy day. Most days AI would have nothing to report.

I'm here for the rumours.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #30 of 48
I find it pretty disgusting that AI is regurgitating and publicizing an "analysis" that Apple did not sell more Retina iPad mini's because they are microscopically thicker than the non-retina. I mean- are you fucking kidding me? I own both, and damned if I've EVER noticed a difference. Actually, this is the first I hear about it. It's already the thinnest tablet in the industry. I don't believe there's a single fucking person on the planet that would base such a buying decision on a literal hair of thickness- yet this analyst wants us to believe there's a shitload, and this website is content to give legitimacy to this embarrassing statement.
post #31 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

I find it pretty disgusting that AI is regurgitating and publicizing an "analysis" that Apple did not sell more Retina iPad mini's because they are microscopically thicker than the non-retina. I mean- are you fucking kidding me? I own both, and damned if I've EVER noticed a difference. Actually, this is the first I hear about it. It's already the thinnest tablet in the industry. I don't believe there's a single fucking person on the planet that would base such a buying decision on a literal hair of thickness- yet this analyst wants us to believe there's a shitload, and this website is content to give legitimacy to this embarrassing statement.

I seem to remember it was half a millimeter. Unnoticeable.
post #32 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Separately, Apple is reportedly working on a 12.9" iPad to generate new growth momentum via a richer entertainment and productivity experience. However, the analyst said the product is unlikely to make its way to market until next year, as Apple is believed to working on new usability features to accompany the release.

Made up device delayed until next year and this year it's business as usual. Surprise, surprise.
post #33 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Would you have been OK if the random iPhone 5S didn't come with Touch ID because they used the components in the iPads?

Sure - as I didn't want to buy an iPhone! I was looking for an iPad. No Touch ID, only 1GB RAM, no buy...

post #34 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Shadow View Post

Personally I wouldn't consider this "breaking" news. Mostly because I expected it since it was included on the phone.

I know several iPad 2 owners who are literally waiting for "Touch ID" to upgrade their iPad.

Count me as one of those. I'm on the "non S" upgrade cycle for my iPhone so I know my iPhone 6 will have it and I wanted my next iPad to have it as well so I'm not buying one until it's included. My iPad 2 is getting a little long in the tooth though.

post #35 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalM View Post
 

Sure - as I didn't want to buy an iPhone! I was looking for an iPad. No Touch ID, only 1GB RAM, no buy...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA Like you would have any concept of the difference between 1 or 2 GB of RAM in an iPad.

post #36 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingthebigG View Post

FIVE consecutive breaking articles based upon Ming''s words! This has to be a record!!

we have to wait 9 months to see how many children born to AI staff are named Ming.   I mean rumor orgy volume is at 11 on this one.

post #37 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by PScooter63 View Post
 

 

Noooooooooooooo... [runs off, wipes away tears]

the individual sales market isn't the target for this... large institutional (and I think Universities are top in line for this, followed by Sales Force Automation, followed by a TLA agency of the gov't).   A million individual voices aren't a big deal (apple knows most will grit their teeth and buy a 10") , however, committments to 5-10K unit sales over a couple years is a big deal, as would be 'we love your iPads, but we can get XXX to develop our big app on the Android based PhallusMaximus by HTLGsung, which is slated to be out running the JuicyFruit version of Android'

 

12" tablets aren't selling now.  There needs to be a compelling job for it to do.  

 

I think most corps see touchID a bigger deal than screen real estate.

post #38 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post
 

Well I suppose the truth must hurt because where's the innovation?

Touch ID -which it should have had last year? and a faster processor? Meh.

Apple's phased adoption is par for the course.   Did Retina Display deploy on all systems same year?  802.11ac?  

Building into the flagship (and best unit selling) device now drives to a 'base support' of cool stuff, without causing recourse constraints across the board.

 

TouchID's real value isn't in iOS7.  It will be in iOS9, when 50% of all devices (and 90% of new sales) will have TouchID, and the OS and security critical apps will have it (Confirm stock trade/payment/patient's_prescription_refill/your_vote* -  press your finger to your Home Key...)

 

And TouchID manufacturing will have bootstrapped to scale...  

 

The long game is a b!tch... but it's how apple plays the game.

post #39 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post
 

Well I suppose the truth must hurt because where's the innovation?

Touch ID -which it should have had last year? and a faster processor? Meh.

 

Cause Apple does roll outs correctly and they wait till everything is in place.

 

Look at the POS fingerprinter scanner that the Samdung S5 has compared to the 5S.

post #40 of 48

--

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Apple's 2014 iPads to sport Touch ID & TSMC-built A8 CPU, 12.9" iPad unlikely till 2015
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple's 2014 iPads to sport Touch ID & TSMC-built A8 CPU, 12.9" iPad unlikely till 2015