or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Facebook to remove Messenger from main app to reduce 'friction'

Facebook to remove Messenger from main app to reduce 'friction'

post #1 of 36
Facebook on Wednesday started sending out notifications to users in Europe regarding the imminent removal of Messenger from the service's flagship iOS and Android apps, a move that will ultimately force users who chat to download the standalone version.

First reported by TechCrunch, the alerts were apparently sent out to European users of Facebook's mobile apps today, though widespread notifications are expected to start rolling out soon.

"To continue sending messages on mobile, people will need to install the Messenger app," a Facebook spokesperson told Re/code. "We've found that people get replies 20 percent faster on Messenger than on Facebook."

According to Facebook, the move is meant to streamline the main app by breaking out features into standalone apps. Currently, the flagship Facebook app has Messenger "buried" under a user's main feed. Forcing use of the standalone Messenger will also give Facebook additional presence on a user's home screen.

The feature deprecation may be more of a hassle, however, as Facebook users will have to exit the main app and open Messenger to chat and read posts on their timeline. Alternatively, multitasking between the two is an option, though this solution is still more cumbersome than the current system that requires only a swipe to the left to bring up in-app chat.

Changes are expected to roll out first in Europe before going worldwide within the next one to two weeks.
post #2 of 36
If they remove Messages from Facebook Paper, I'm gonna be pissed. I don't want two separate apps.
post #3 of 36

Could they also remove themselves from human civilization?

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

post #4 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Could they also remove themselves from human civilization?

+1

They are forcing "public" on things that were not. The mobile app stopped letting me use "friends of friends". If I want to do that it has to be on the browser client via custom. Forcing people to use the messenger app is dumb. I only used the messages in the main app out of convince. I have a separate chat app already and will just use it.

So tired of facebook's crap.

post #5 of 36
Completely pointless. Facebook is just trying to build out their visible platform onto iOS/Android. More mindshare sorta.
post #6 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phone-UI-Guy View Post

+1

They are forcing "public" on things that were not. The mobile app stopped letting me use "friends of friends". If I want to do that it has to be on the browser client via custom. Forcing people to use the messenger app is dumb. I only used the messages in the main app out of convince. I have a separate chat app already and will just use it.

So tired of facebook's crap.
I was so tired of it I deleted my account.
post #7 of 36
Facebook is simply brilliant at finding ways to inconvenience their users. It will end up being their undoing. No deprecate messenger app for me. Real friends have my number and can send a regular text.
post #8 of 36
Originally Posted by Sporlo View Post

Hope you did that before 2010, because there’s no account deletion since. Not without a death certificate, at any rate. And your data stays with them regardless.

post #9 of 36
I don't care, I use both apps, messenger is faster.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #10 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Hope you did that before 2010, because there’s no account deletion since. Not without a death certificate, at any rate. And your data stays with them regardless.

I did it in January of 2014 I think. Of course I don't expect Facebook to actually dump my data. I just didn't want to use their services anymore. Or rather I didn't want to service THEM anymore. And my account doesn't show up publicly anymore so I dunno what you mean about the 2010 thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

I don't care, I use both apps, messenger is faster.
Solution: speed up Facebook.
post #11 of 36
I hate these totally unnecessary changes that just irritate users.
post #12 of 36

This is of course how many months before the merge messenger with WhatsApp?

Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #13 of 36
SUPER BAD IDEA Facebook! I won't use it if I have to use 2 separate apps!
post #14 of 36
Facebook being a pain now, there goes the once every 6 months I use the app, who needs two apps for 1 service, when will it be they destroy Instagram app?
post #15 of 36
Yes would be better with a single app for sure. However app switches happen seamlessly too.
post #16 of 36
I'm a regular Facebook user, but I echo everyone's frustration. There are very simple things they could do to make the experience better, but they chose not to, for example security/privacy (their shit job of managing this is a serious safety concern, I've had random people checking out my family members, not cool at all). It seems to me that zuckerbergs "vision" is more important to him than user experience. I'm guessing that's where the creepy vibe comes from. Just like google, they seem to have a sense of self righteousness that leads them to have an "end justifies the means" philosophy, where they actually believe their "don't be evil mantra" while at the same time doing crappy things.

I appreciate that Apple hasn't tried to go into social yet (except for ping, which I believe was actually a failed play/ploy to get Facebook user integration). But I think that a lack of a reasonable, viable alternative to Facebook puts Apple in a good position to create a meaningful contribution to the social space, mainly: social + security + Apple ecosystem. I hope Apple is working in this.

post #17 of 36
Looks like I'm going to delete ALL of Facebook's apps!
post #18 of 36
Terrible terrible idea. I am far less inclined to use it now. It was becoming a replacement for email correspondence for me because it was embedded in the app I already use. Now that completely defeats the purpose. Apple would never do this, or if they did they'd convince you your life is better because of it. Facebook is just saying, now we want your life to be less convenient. You're welcome. Idiots.
post #19 of 36
I'm from Denmark and have been using the Messenger app for quite some time. I don't exactly remember when we were forced to this but I think at least for this year.
If I click the messages icon in the FB app it automatically opens the Messenger app.
The Messenger app is a big improvement compared to what was previously in the FB app.
It looks like they have to separate this product, as they want users to be able to chat even though the are not friends on FB, and they can better add features that allows you to chat with people that are not even on FB (my guess is they will integrate whatsApp into this as it seems to be the cleanest app of the two).
The Messenger app has different sets of icons and pictures that you can download and use, that was never available in the FB app.
post #20 of 36
I've been using the Facebook Messenger app since it first came out... and I never thought there was a problem. 1confused.gif

The last thing I want when replying to a Facebook message is to see a bunch of friend requests, notifications, page activity and other distractions.

The Messenger app made sense to me. You go straight to the message... and only the message. I thought that was the idea.

And then the regular Facebook app is for all the other Facebook stuff.

Edited by Michael Scrip - 4/9/14 at 9:29pm
post #21 of 36

If you use Facebook spyware and NЅАware, you deserve all the inconvenience and crap this evil company gives you. Just remove your account and give that a-hole Zuckerbeg a finger.

post #22 of 36
Fb user: Sir, I'm afraid you've gone mad with power.
Zuckerberg: Of course I have. Have you ever tried going mad without power? It's boring, no one listens to you.
post #23 of 36

Suckerburg is an idiot. The only reason I used facebook messenger is the convenience of being on both facebook and chat at the same time. Decoupling them would make me less likely to use either.

post #24 of 36
i removed messenger long ago. i couldn't see any advantages of it over the one embedded in the Facebook app.
post #25 of 36
And it'll probably demand access to your location every time you try to use it.
post #26 of 36

Whatever FaceBook does, I'm sure it's to better keep track of your personal activities.

The best response to this is to delete everything Facebook

and hope they don't bug you to answer your "friends" who want to talk with you.

post #27 of 36
The link between the Facebook app and the Messenger app is pretty seamless on iPhone - the messages button in Facebook switches to the Messenger app and a bar at the top of the Messenger app takes you back, neither with any real delay... I have no problems with them being separate apps as it means you can chat via Facebook - and lets face it, soon WhatsApp is going to be in here too - without the need to waste bandwidth and data allowance updating your news feed at the same time.

One thing though - If they are planning on doing this on the iPad too they'd better have a universal version of the Messenger app ready to go, as it is currently an iPhone app with all its associated compromises when used on the iPad....jumbo vision in x2, tiny in the middle of the screen in x1 and iPhone keyboard layout.
post #28 of 36
How long before they backflip?

Less than 6 months?

Or, before they add news and notifications to messenger

Gee these companies stuff things up

We are just incapable of saying, ok this thing works pretty well, leave it be

Apple (eg, iMovie), Microsoft (that awful merge into Skype), Google, FB. They all do it.
post #29 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporlo View Post

Looks like you're not going to be the only one:

Princeton researchers say Facebook will lose 80 percent of its users by 2017:

http://www.dailydot.com/technology/research-facebook-lose-80-percent-of-users/
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
post #30 of 36
FB community is ready to move elsewhere. But where?
post #31 of 36

Fb user: Sir, I'm afraid you've gone mad with power.

Zuckerberg: Of course I have. Have you ever tried going mad without power? It's boring, no one listens to you.

ABSOLUTELY SO !

While They're Flattering and Clinging Up Much Spend " Corporate Users ", They REALLY NOW ARE INTIMIDATING " Ordinary Users ", Forcing Them As Much As Inconvenience to Suit Their " PROFIT-OPTIMIZING " Practices !!!

They've NOW BECOME & END UP to Be " SUCH MONETIZING GREED " !!!!!!

There're NOW Two Internet GIANTS who Really STINK, " Google & FaceBook " !

I Suppose They're Approaching to The " END OF THEIR ERA ".

post #32 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicwalmsley View Post

FB community is ready to move elsewhere. But where?

That's A Problem.
Google Plus is FAR FROM A OPTION !!!!!!

I Really Hope GOOD SUBSTITUTE Come Up !
post #33 of 36
The Facebook app is the absolute worst performing and most buggy app I have ever used on iOS. I've deleted it. I use the mobile website through Safari when I can't get to a proper computer. It's also otherwise unimportant to me. :-p
post #34 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysamoria View Post

The Facebook app is the absolute worst performing and most buggy app I have ever used on iOS. I've deleted it. I use the mobile website through Safari when I can't get to a proper computer. It's also otherwise unimportant to me. :-p
hehe this is what I did with YouTube
post #35 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mochi Fung View Post

Suckerburg is an idiot. The only reason I used facebook messenger is the convenience of being on both facebook and chat at the same time. Decoupling them would make me less likely to use either.

I wish I had that level of idiocy, just think Zuckerburg and his family would never have to work again, for generations to come.

post #36 of 36
I like the idea. I have notifications turned off because I don't want to know every time someone likes an image I commented on or responds separately to the poster. But I still want notifications for messages. That's possible in the Facebook app natively.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Facebook to remove Messenger from main app to reduce 'friction'