or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Apple issues iMovie for Mac update with new features, bug fixes
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple issues iMovie for Mac update with new features, bug fixes

post #1 of 41
Thread Starter 
Apple rolled out an update to iMovie for Mac, bringing new sorting and font options, enhanced titles, UI tweaks and bug fixes to desktop version of its consumer level video editing app.


iMovie version 10.0.3 offers a few new features, including general usability additions like sorting events in the sidebar by date, double-clicking a transition to adjust duration, the ability to crop and rotate clips in events.

In addition, users can now change the font, size and color of new title assets introduced in iMovie version 10. Speed effects have also been tweaked and can be added via the Adjustments Bar, while a new option allows for smooth transitions in and out of these effects.

As with any update, iMovie comes with bug fixes, which are listed in the release notes:

  • Fixes issues that could cause iMovie to quit unexpectedly
  • Resolves issues that could cause sharing to fail
  • Improves reliability of search when using partial or multiple search terms
  • General usability improvements on computers using certain languages


iMovie version 10.0.3 weighs in at 1.97GB and can be downloaded via Software Update. Alternatively, for those with older Macs, the app can be purchased for $14.99 from the Mac App Store.
post #2 of 41
  • Quote:
    Fixes issues that could cause iMovie to quit unexpectedly

    Thank you Apple for this!

post #3 of 41
Now if they'd just make iMovie easy to use like it the old old iMovie that would be great!

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply
post #4 of 41
Still no importing iOS projects? Grrr...
post #5 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Now if they'd just make iMovie easy to use like it the old old iMovie that would be great!
it is easy...
post #6 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNosey View Post


it is easy...

But not as simply/easy to use as iMovie 6 HD.

post #7 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNosey View Post


it is easy...

 

Its not easy at all for a typical consumer. They've ruined iMovie totally over the years by making it too much like FCP. The old iMovie 6 HD was amazing and everyone could figure it out. Now unless you take course, or watch tutorials you won't have a clue as to what to do, even for the simplest things such as combining 2 or 3 clips together is a task in the new iMovie releases. 

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply
post #8 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Its not easy at all for a typical consumer. They've ruined iMovie totally over the years by making it too much like FCP. The old iMovie 6 HD was amazing and everyone could figure it out. Now unless you take course, or watch tutorials you won't have a clue as to what to do, even for the simplest things such as combining 2 or 3 clips together is a task in the new iMovie releases. 
Really? I wonder if you have just failed to figure the 'new' iMovie out. I don't use it that much but I did recently and was amazed at how simple it was.
post #9 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Its not easy at all for a typical consumer. They've ruined iMovie totally over the years by making it too much like FCP. The old iMovie 6 HD was amazing and everyone could figure it out. Now unless you take course, or watch tutorials you won't have a clue as to what to do, even for the simplest things such as combining 2 or 3 clips together is a task in the new iMovie releases. 
I'm a typical consumer. I didn't take a class... I like it better than the old iMovie.
post #10 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Really? I wonder if you have just failed to figure the 'new' iMovie out. I don't use it that much but I did recently and was amazed at how simple it was.
Exactly
post #11 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Really? I wonder if you have just failed to figure the 'new' iMovie out. I don't use it that much but I did recently and was amazed at how simple it was.
They're just trying to find something wrong with apple
post #12 of 41
It still blew up my old iMovie clips and I haven't recovered from that...
post #13 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondYourFrontDoor View Post

It still blew up my old iMovie clips and I haven't recovered from that...

 

And I'm sure you didn't have those old clips exported into a format that would enable you to import cleanly into later versions, right?

post #14 of 41

Why would I expect Apple to stop supporting Quicktime?  Yeah, I have been converting my clips using an automator action, but my original projects themselves are gone.  So, if I wanted to tweak them and reupload I can't.  Now I have 2 versions of iMovie but still can't work on my old movies...

 

I switched to Apple to avoid crap like this... crap like iMovie going backwards, Numbers turning into a 1987 version of Lotus 1-2-3... etc etc...  I am a fanboy, but they better get things back on track.

post #15 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post
 

 

And I'm sure you didn't have those old clips exported into a format that would enable you to import cleanly into later versions, right?

Why would I expect Apple to stop supporting Quicktime?  Yeah, I have been converting my clips using an automator action, but my original projects themselves are gone.  So, if I wanted to tweak them and reupload I can't.  Now I have 2 versions of iMovie but still can't work on my old movies...

 

I switched to Apple to avoid crap like this... crap like iMovie going backwards, Numbers turning into a 1987 version of Lotus 1-2-3... etc etc...  I am a fanboy, but they better get things back on track.

post #16 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post
 

 

Its not easy at all for a typical consumer. They've ruined iMovie totally over the years by making it too much like FCP. The old iMovie 6 HD was amazing and everyone could figure it out. Now unless you take course, or watch tutorials you won't have a clue as to what to do, even for the simplest things such as combining 2 or 3 clips together is a task in the new iMovie releases. 

 

Well, I'm a typical consumer who never used iMovie until a few days ago.  I wanted to film my golf swing, using two cameras (my iPad and my iPhone), one from behind down the line, and the other front facing from the side.  My goal was to combine the clips into a split-screen view.

 

Not having ever used any version of iMovie before, I wasn't sure if this would be simple to do or beyond me.  It took me about 20 minutes of playing around and searching on the web, and voila!

 

Now, if someone like me, with absolutely no experience, can figure it out anyone can.

post #17 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

Well, I'm a typical consumer who never used iMovie until a few days ago.  I wanted to film my golf swing, using two cameras (my iPad and my iPhone), one from behind down the line, and the other front facing from the side.  My goal was to combine the clips into a split-screen view.

Not having ever used any version of iMovie before, I wasn't sure if this would be simple to do or beyond me.  It took me about 20 minutes of playing around and searching on the web, and voila!

Now, if someone like me, with absolutely no experience, can figure it out anyone can.

Give that same project to your mom and see if the outcome is the same. I hardly think you're a typical Apple user.

Nobody I know can figure out how to use the newer iMovie releases. They turn to Windows Movie Maker which is more like the old iMove 6 HD. What does that say? I see more people trying to use iMovie than you do, I guarantee it. It's a sad state when people resort to Windows to do media editing even if they use a Mac. Now either everyone I work with in school are a bunch of idiots or something is wrong. I'm thinking the latter.

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply
post #18 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post


Give that same project to your mom and see if the outcome is the same. I hardly think you're a typical Apple user.

Nobody I know can figure out how to use the newer iMovie releases. They turn to Windows Movie Maker which is more like the old iMove 6 HD. What does that say? I see more people trying to use iMovie than you do, I guarantee it. It's a sad state when people resort to Windows to do media editing even if they use a Mac. Now either everyone I work with in school are a bunch of idiots or something is wrong. I'm thinking the latter.

 

All I can comment on is my experience, and it was almost entirely painless.

 

Have these people you worked with actually used computers before?  

post #19 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

All I can comment on is my experience, and it was almost entirely painless.

Have these people you worked with actually used computers before?  

Yes, everyday. Don't ask stupid questions...

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply
post #20 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Nobody I know can figure out how to use the newer iMovie releases. 

 

Get to know smarter people

Help! I'm trapped in a white dungeon of amazing precision and impeccable tolerances!

Reply

Help! I'm trapped in a white dungeon of amazing precision and impeccable tolerances!

Reply
post #21 of 41

No, I am in the camp that says the latest version is not intuitive. It sux.

 

I do wonder if knowing how old iMovie worked is a disadvantage. 

 

But simple things like selecting a piece of footage to delete from a project seems difficult.

 

I used to select the piece of footage that I wanted to delete, and hit delete. How easy!

 

Now, that doesn't work anymore. Not a good start, new iMovie.

 

Agree with the general point, software companies have been doing some bad work of late, dumbing down applications so much that they just don't work anymore.

 

In fact, the norm seems to be, upgrades these days have people saying "you did what!?!"

post #22 of 41
Maybe I'll revisit iMovie. I actually tried to edit some short clips together for a quick project (having come from the Final Cut Studio end of things...pre-Final Cut Pro X) and found the process incredibly frustrating. The limitations of the software exceeded my patience.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #23 of 41
I love the way iMovie works on all Apple platforms. It's easier to start on iOS and then mover over to the desktop with it's extended functions.

What I'm missing is the ability to import an iMovieMobile project into the desktop version. I'd love to be able to begin a project in iOS or OSX versions and port to the other. Begin a rough edit in iMovieMobile and send it to the desktop for image and audio adjustments/enhacements. Or port the basic edit from OSX version to your iPad or iPhone to re-import and work again later.

iMovie 10.0.3 is still pretty spectacular, even more so if you've been working all these years doing this. Pro and semi-Pro editors should really check out iMovie now. Get the hang of doing simple pro style edits, with two tracks of video and three of audio on your iphone or ipad. Then you'll wish you could transfer your work over to the desktop too (on your pro software projects).

I use FCP X, AVID and Premiere in a professionl environment.

On another note, if you've played with iMovieMobile and ever used Logic Remote with GarageBand or Logic Pro X, you can imagine an iPad Remote app for iMovie/FCP X, giving the editor touch control of the process as you have in iMovie already.
post #24 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post


Give that same project to your mom and see if the outcome is the same. I hardly think you're a typical Apple user.

Nobody I know can figure out how to use the newer iMovie releases. They turn to Windows Movie Maker which is more like the old iMove 6 HD. What does that say? I see more people trying to use iMovie than you do, I guarantee it. It's a sad state when people resort to Windows to do media editing even if they use a Mac. Now either everyone I work with in school are a bunch of idiots or something is wrong. I'm thinking the latter.

 

Macxpress,

Are you sure you're not encouraging those people to be frustrated by iMovie and try out Windows Movie Maker? It sounds like you're somewhat of a mentor of amatuer video editors. They see your reaction to iMovie and they become convinced rather quickly that iMovie sucks.

 

I sometimes teach iMovie myself to average computer users, and I've taught both the earlier iMovie version and the new iMovie that's been around now for several years. The fact is that video editing is simply more challenging than the average computer software. There's more to it. So "typical" (average) computer users, especially moms and pops, have a hard time with video editing in general.

 

As to the question of which version of iMovie is easier, the answer is THE NEW IMOVIE! I remember how annoyed I was when I knew I would have to learn the much different new iMovie. I was about 54 at the time and I don't learn things as fast as I did when I was in my 20's. But when I finally dug into it I was amazed and delighted at how much more intuitive and easy it is. I went from dreading it to loving it faster than about anything I've ever done in my life. You must have some kind of mental block about the new iMovie. Change your attitude about it first, dig in and just go after it. There is no Windows movie editor in existence that does as much as iMovie as easily as iMovie.

post #25 of 41

How many people pine for iMovie 6HD this long after the reboot is telling.

You did not come into the world to fail. You came into the world to succeed.

- Gordon Hinckley

Reply

You did not come into the world to fail. You came into the world to succeed.

- Gordon Hinckley

Reply
post #26 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetCanadaV2 View Post
 

 

Get to know smarter people

 

Nice fanboy response...

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply
post #27 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by macguru View Post
 

 

Macxpress,

Are you sure you're not encouraging those people to be frustrated by iMovie and try out Windows Movie Maker? It sounds like you're somewhat of a mentor of amatuer video editors. They see your reaction to iMovie and they become convinced rather quickly that iMovie sucks.

 

I sometimes teach iMovie myself to average computer users, and I've taught both the earlier iMovie version and the new iMovie that's been around now for several years. The fact is that video editing is simply more challenging than the average computer software. There's more to it. So "typical" (average) computer users, especially moms and pops, have a hard time with video editing in general.

 

As to the question of which version of iMovie is easier, the answer is THE NEW IMOVIE! I remember how annoyed I was when I knew I would have to learn the much different new iMovie. I was about 54 at the time and I don't learn things as fast as I did when I was in my 20's. But when I finally dug into it I was amazed and delighted at how much more intuitive and easy it is. I went from dreading it to loving it faster than about anything I've ever done in my life. You must have some kind of mental block about the new iMovie. Change your attitude about it first, dig in and just go after it. There is no Windows movie editor in existence that does as much as iMovie as easily as iMovie.

 

I don't encourage people to use anything. The question to what iMovie is easier to use is an opinion so your answer isn't correct, or incorrect. Its up to the user and I see user after user who uses a Mac trying to use the new versions of iMovie and don't have a clue what to do. They can go on a PC, in Movie Maker and do it right away because its more like the old iMovie which was incredibly easy to use. 

 

A lot of people just want to do simple tasks and not all of these fancy things that are now in iMovie. Today's iMovie is too much like FCP in my opinion and confuses the hell out people not to mention is very intimidating as soon as you launch the app.

 

You have to put yourself into a users shoes and not just your own. Just because you or someone else can do it, doesn't mean others can too. 

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply
post #28 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinglesthula View Post
 

How many people pine for iMovie 6HD this long after the reboot is telling.

No, it is not.

 

AI is overrun by a herd of whiners and haters. You cannot extrapolate anything from the collected opinion of AI forum commenters.

 

AI is not a representative sample of Apple's consumers. It appears to be a slice of users who are skewed to young American males between 13-24 for most topics.

 

And MacRumors is ten times worse. The forum comments there are pretty much unreadable now.

post #29 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpantone View Post
 

No, it is not.

 

AI is overrun by a herd of whiners and haters. You cannot extrapolate anything from the collected opinion of AI forum commenters.

 

AI is not a representative sample of Apple's consumers. It appears to be a slice of users who are skewed to young American males between 13-24 for most topics.

 

And MacRumors is ten times worse. The forum comments there are pretty much unreadable now.

 

To a larger or smaller degree, this is true of message boards on the internet in general.  People complaining always come off as louder (and then incorrectly as a 'majority') for a number of reasons:

 

-- People who aren't having any problems usually don't post to say, "Not having any problems," without it being a response.

 

-- People who are having a problem will be far more likely to post.  Also, they will be far more likely to post it over and over and over again.

 

-- Generally, those positive messages which are posted are fairly easygoing.  Negative posts are often something along the lines of, "WORST xyz EVER! APPLE IS DOOMED! THIS WOULD NEVER HAVE HAPPENED IF STEVE WERE ALIVE!" etc.

post #30 of 41

Silly question here but before you could move an audio track using the arrow keys.

 

Looks like you can't anymore.

 

It was so good to fine-tune the audio start/end position as the mouse/trackpad is not that precise.

 

Or am I missing anything?

 

Thanks

post #31 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaulCristian View Post
 

Silly question here but before you could move an audio track using the arrow keys.

 

Looks like you can't anymore.

 

It was so good to fine-tune the audio start/end position as the mouse/trackpad is not that precise.

 

Or am I missing anything?

 

Thanks


Forget it, it is comma and period keys to nudge the position of the audio track.

 

:-)

post #32 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

To a larger or smaller degree, this is true of message boards on the internet in general.  People complaining always come off as louder (and then incorrectly as a 'majority') for a number of reasons:

-- People who aren't having any problems usually don't post to say, "Not having any problems," without it being a response.

-- People who are having a problem will be far more likely to post.  Also, they will be far more likely to post it over and over and over again.

-- Generally, those positive messages which are posted are fairly easygoing.  Negative posts are often something along the lines of, "WORST xyz EVER! APPLE IS DOOMED! THIS WOULD NEVER HAVE HAPPENED IF STEVE WERE ALIVE!" etc.

Too true. If people want to complain, they might go to message boards/forums. Very few go there to say they're happy. In addition, the total number of people on all tech forums is negligible compared to the total number of users.

That said, I feel that macxpress's complaints are genuine. Maybe the old iMovie was easier to use. But video editing has always been tricky, so maybe Apple thought that it was better to include more functionality than dumbing down.
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #33 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

That said, I feel that macxpress's complaints are genuine. Maybe the old iMovie was easier to use. But video editing has always been tricky, so maybe Apple thought that it was better to include more functionality than dumbing down.

 

When IBM releases a new version of its System i, they send a Memo to Users with all the changes from version to version. Most software vendors don't bother. And it is essential.

 

Major changes (such as the latest iWork version with several feature removals), or even minor (such as removing the arrow keys to move audio tracks on iMovie) are not properly announced. Worse, the help system is really poor (I couldn't figure out the new keyboard shortcuts and only found them on the Final Cut help online and tried them out in iMovie to see if they worked).

 

Steve Jobs' documentation feng shui is mostly great, but a companion doc with ALL the major and minor changes made in each version should be kind of mandatory...

 

Hugs.

post #34 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by macguru View Post
 
As to the question of which version of iMovie is easier, the answer is THE NEW IMOVIE!

 

Ya think? I'm not arguing because I haven't committed a lot of time to the new version, but for me that's kinda the point. The old version didn't require ANY time -- I was able to open it and intuitively begin working with it immediately. With the new version I gave up after spending ten minutes trying without success to figure out how to add an audio track to a video. I figure if I have to put actual time and thinking into learning an editing app, I'm not gonna waste it on iMovie, I'm gonna learn Avid!


Edited by Lorin Schultz - 4/13/14 at 10:27pm

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply
post #35 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaulCristian View Post
 
a companion doc with ALL the major and minor changes made in each version should be kind of mandatory...

 

Every time a new version of Pro Tools is announced, a "What's New" document is released. The last one ran 50 pages.

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply
post #36 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

No, it is not.

AI is overrun by a herd of whiners and haters. You cannot extrapolate anything from the collected opinion of AI forum commenters.

AI is not a representative sample of Apple's consumers. It appears to be a slice of users who are skewed to young American males between 13-24 for most topics.

And MacRumors is ten times worse. The forum comments there are pretty much unreadable now.

If you want to bathe yourself in a real Apple hatefest, try The Verge. Nothing but Samsung, Google and Windows trolls.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #37 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post

Ya think? I'm not arguing because I haven't committed a lot of time to the new version, but for me that's kinda the point. The old version didn't require ANY time -- I was able to open it and intuitively begin working with it immediately. With the new version I gave up after spending ten minutes trying without success to figure out how to add an audio track to a video. I figure if I have to put actual time and thinking into learning an editing app, I'm not gonna waste it on iMovie, I'm gonna learn Avid!

Yes, audio track control is particularly difficult in comparison to FCP.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #38 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Yes, audio track control is particularly difficult in comparison to FCP.

 

I am really disappointed to hear that there are still such issues.

 

I was using for some simple things the old iMovie HD 6. It was mostly for synchronizing a movie with an audio track, export to a video file and edit in Quicktime to cut the redundant parts in the beginning and the end. It worked perfectly.

 

Then Apple brutally switched in 2008 to the new iMovie. A memorable disaster! Fortunately, iMovie HD 6 was still around. But over the years, I moved on to HD video just to find out that iMovie 6 is very slow in handling HD in older machines. Like needing half an hour to simply import a five minutes HD track. Then I found Shave Video. Simple and lightning fast in older hardware, and doing exactly what I needed. But it still needs work and this is the worst part, because it seems to be abandon-ware today. No update since more than two years now and the developer's site is down.

 

When I will buy a new Mac I will definitely give the new iMovie a shot. But what do you think about the work-flow I described, would it be easy to carry it out with the new iMovie?


Edited by PB - 4/23/14 at 1:56am
post #39 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinglesthula View Post
 

How many people pine for iMovie 6HD this long after the reboot is telling.

 

In fact, what is telling is that iMovie HD 6 is still available for download from Apple! They know very well that they totally ruined it with iMovie 2008 and the updates that followed. I cannot tell about the current version though since I have yet to try it out.

post #40 of 41

Grrr indeed: it has completed smashed the workflow I teach of editing in iOS and mastering in OSX. And its not really an upgrade anyway: where has the graphic equaliser and colour grading tools gone? Damn presets.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Apple issues iMovie for Mac update with new features, bug fixes