or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Here's a market Apple can win

Here's a market Apple can win

post #1 of 4
<a href="http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,5101756,00.html" target="_blank">http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,5101756,00.html</a>

Nokia has come out with a combination cell phone/PDA for $799. We all knew the two would merge together. This is selling better than the Palm in Europe (maybe just Palms not including compatibles)

This is a market tailor made for Apple. Combining PDA funtionality which already requires a user interface with a digital device, ie the phone. If people were impressed with their Apple communicator/PDA they would be 10 times more likely to buy a Mac from the Apple Store. This is also why I think it's a waste that Apple doesn't offer iPod for Windows. I don't think you'll have many people buy a Mac just for it. But if they're thrilled everyday using the iPod I'm sure they'ed investigate the Mac the next time they were looking to buy a new computer.

I think it's a mistake for Apple to directly saddle its great ideas by forcing you to buy a Mac to use them. There needs to be a more indirect way to get new customers.
post #2 of 4
The Nokia Communicator has been in existence for over two years, and with a color screen for one year. Actually, this device is simply a gadget. It is underwhelming.

As a phone it is WAAAAY too big, and as an organizer it is too big and too limited.

A nice small phone and a nice small PDA, that can work together in tandem, would be much more versatile, lighter, cheaper, and more upgradable than the Communicator.

This is yet another "Swiss Army Knife" device. No thanks.
post #3 of 4
It will only be useful if the earphone/speakerphone thing becomes a non-stupid way of talking on the phone. A brick in a pocket or on the belt isn't so bad.

Upgradeability is no big deal. How many people upgrade phones?

Since I am part of those who don't like carrying a phone, though, it is of no interest to me.
The Mother of all flip-flops!!
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
The Mother of all flip-flops!!
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
post #4 of 4
The cell phone biz is very competitive. Why do you think Mot is having such a hard time of it?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Here's a market Apple can win