or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's Tim Cook encourages US House to pass sexual orientation nondiscrimination act
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's Tim Cook encourages US House to pass sexual orientation nondiscrimination act

post #1 of 245
Thread Starter 
Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook took to Twitter on Friday to again express his support for the Employee Non-Discrimination Act, a proposed bill that would make it illegal for companies to discriminate in hiring based on gender identity or sexual orientation.




The act, dubbed ENDA, has been presented to Congress since 1994, but has yet to pass into law. Cook said on Friday that he believes the U.S. House of Representatives should mark the 50th anniversary of the Civil Rights Act, signed into law by then-President Lyndon B. Johnson in 1964, by finally passing ENDA after 20 years.

Tagged in Cook's post were Speaker of the House Rep. John Boehner, House Minority Leader Rep. Nancy Pelosi, House Majority Leader Rep. Eric Cantor, and Democratic Whip Rep. Steny Hoyer.

In a separate post, Cook quoted the iconic protest song of the American Civil Rights Movement, "We Shall Overcome." He also shared a picture of Johnson signing the Civil Rights Act while Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. looked on.

"Reflecting on the 50th anniversary of the Civil Rights Act," Cook wrote. "Much done but much left to do."

Cook's support of ENDA has been well publicized before, as the CEO penned an editorial in The Wall Street Journal last November urging U.S. senators to pass the act -- which it did, in a 64 to 32 vote. The bill has not yet gone up for a vote in the House.

ENDA would prohibit most employers from discriminating in hiring based on a person's sexual orientation or gender identity. In addition to official passage through the U.S. Senate, the bill has also been given public support by President Barack Obama.
post #2 of 245
Clearly won't happen while Republicans control the House.
post #3 of 245

This should be an interesting thread

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #4 of 245
I am a long time Apple customer, 1978 Apple II.
It troubles me anytime a CEO uses his position to push his own agenda.
post #5 of 245

I disagree with Tim Cook.

 

I don't have any problems with hiring a gay person of course, if they were the best qualified for the job, that is what's important. But I would most likely have to pass on hiring any sexually confused people. Those people should go work for FB, since FB has a gazillion different choices for gender. What a joke. And no, you don't get to choose that you are a female or something else, if you actually have male sexual organs. You are what you are. If somebody goes around and really wishes that they were a hippopotamus, that doesn't make it so, no matter how much they wish that they were. People are what they are. There are probably thousands of lunatics in various mental asylums that think that they're Napoleon. 

 

I recently read about a transgender athlete suing, because they weren't allowed to compete on the female team! What a damn joke! The confused transgender person is obviously perpetrating a scam. 

post #6 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by tome01 View Post

I am a long time Apple customer, 1978 Apple II.
It troubles me anytime a CEO uses his position to push his own agenda.

 

Equal rights aren't an "agenda" and it shouldn't be considered "politics" either. And just for the record, equal rights should NEVER be put up for a vote. 

 

It's time to pass laws like ENDA to ensure equal rights for all. 

post #7 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by tome01 View Post

I am a long time Apple customer, 1978 Apple II.
It troubles me anytime a CEO uses his position to push his own agenda.

What makes you think so? Every US enterprise depends on talent from all over the world, and making the environment less hostile will attract more talented people. This should be in everybody's best interest (besides being the right thing in the first place).
post #8 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by tome01 View Post

I am a long time Apple customer, 1978 Apple II.
It troubles me anytime a CEO uses his position to push his own agenda.

 

What agenda would that be??? He's still a citizen like everyone else in the US and can have his say whether or not he's CEO of a large company. 

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply
post #9 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by tome01 View Post

I am a long time Apple customer, 1978 Apple II.
It troubles me anytime a CEO uses his position to push his own agenda.


I am a long time citizen and it troubles me when Christian bigots use their political position to push their religious agenda on everyone (remember, religion is now debunked bunch of bronze age lies).

Mac Pro, 8 Core, 32 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 285 1 GB, 2 TB storage, 240 GB OWC Mercury Extreme SSD, 30'' Cinema Display, 27'' iMac, 24'' iMac, 17'' MBP, 13'' MBP, 32 GB iPhone 4, 64 GB iPad 3

Reply

Mac Pro, 8 Core, 32 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 285 1 GB, 2 TB storage, 240 GB OWC Mercury Extreme SSD, 30'' Cinema Display, 27'' iMac, 24'' iMac, 17'' MBP, 13'' MBP, 32 GB iPhone 4, 64 GB iPad 3

Reply
post #10 of 245

H

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post
 

This should be an interesting thread


Yes, this will bring Christians out of the woods bashing gay people over shellfish dinner.

Mac Pro, 8 Core, 32 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 285 1 GB, 2 TB storage, 240 GB OWC Mercury Extreme SSD, 30'' Cinema Display, 27'' iMac, 24'' iMac, 17'' MBP, 13'' MBP, 32 GB iPhone 4, 64 GB iPad 3

Reply

Mac Pro, 8 Core, 32 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 285 1 GB, 2 TB storage, 240 GB OWC Mercury Extreme SSD, 30'' Cinema Display, 27'' iMac, 24'' iMac, 17'' MBP, 13'' MBP, 32 GB iPhone 4, 64 GB iPad 3

Reply
post #11 of 245
How would one know if they were denied a position based on sexual orientation? Should we also ban companies for discriminating based on hair color, tattoos, facial piercings, looks etc.
post #12 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post
 

I disagree with Tim Cook.

 

I don't have any problems with hiring a gay person of course, if they were the best qualified for the job, that is what's important. But I would most likely have to pass on hiring any sexually confused people. Those people should go work for FB, since FB has a gazillion different choices for gender. What a joke. And no, you don't get to choose that you are a female or something else, if you actually have male sexual organs. You are what you are. If somebody goes around and really wishes that they were a hippopotamus, that doesn't make it so, no matter how much they wish that they were. People are what they are. There are probably thousands of lunatics in various mental asylums that think that they're Napoleon. 

Sometimes you come across as confused pre-teen. Seriously.

post #13 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post
 

Sometimes you come across as confused pre-teen. Seriously.

I'm not the one who's confused here.

 

I know which box to check off on the application where it says gender.

 

I wouldn't hire anybody who is obviously confused and has mental issues and comes with various baggage.

post #14 of 245

How about we just do away with discrimination altogether - Including not discriminating against people like a certain CEO who ended up resigning just two weeks after he was hired? Does anyone else sense the double standard?

post #15 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by tome01 View Post

I am a long time Apple customer, 1978 Apple II.
It troubles me anytime a CEO uses his position to push his own agenda.

Except this concerns basic human rights. It is long overdue and I take my hat off to TC for using his position to encourage decision makers to challenge their own bigotry.

post #16 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I disagree with Tim Cook.

I don't have any problems with hiring a gay person of course, if they were the best qualified for the job, that is what's important. But I would most likely have to pass on hiring any sexually confused people. Those people should go work for FB, since FB has a gazillion different choices for gender. What a joke. And no, you don't get to choose that you are a female or something else, if you actually have male sexual organs. You are what you are. If somebody goes around and really wishes that they were a hippopotamus, that doesn't make it so, no matter how much they wish that they were. People are what they are. There are probably thousands of lunatics in various mental asylums that think that they're Napoleon. 

I recently read about a transgender athlete suing, because they weren't allowed to compete on the female team! What a damn joke! The confused transgender person is obviously perpetrating a scam. 

I rarely see ignorant bigotry on AI.

Here's hoping you don't post a lot of it.
post #17 of 245
Why just gays and women? And who, exactly is not being hired because they're gay? How in the world would you prove it?
post #18 of 245

@ Quadra - LOL.  What an intolerant joke you are. That's not bigotry. that's common sense.

 

Job qualification are what makes the employee. Not personal choices in lifestyle.

 

And if you think a boy needs to use a girls bathroom because he wants to pretend he's a girl, then you need help.

 

If you think a man should be allowed to compete against girl because he thinks he is a girl, then you need help.

 

Seems to be a pattern there.

 

Stay out of politics Tim. Stick to making the best products in the world.

post #19 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post
 

I'm not the one who's confused here.

 

I know which box to check off on the application where it says gender.

 

I wouldn't hire anybody who is obviously confused and has mental issues and comes with various baggage.

So, you wouldn't have hired someone like Sophie Wilson, born Roger Wilson, creator of the instruction set for the first ARM processor, which now has lineage to the A series of Applied chips on the grounds that she is "confused"?

 

I try and hire people who are brilliant.

post #20 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by tome01 View Post

I am a long time Apple customer, 1978 Apple II.
It troubles me anytime a CEO uses his position to push his own agenda.

So it bothers you when the Koch brothers contribute millions to advance their political agenda? It bothers you when businesses lobby against "Obamacare"? Just trying to clarify.
post #21 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9secondko View Post
 

If you think a man should be allowed to compete against girl because he thinks he is a girl, then you need help.

 

 

Exactly.

 

That is not bigotry, that is just plain common sense, backed up by science and facts.

 

If "Julia" is actually a male and six feet tall and muscular, then no, I do not think that they should be allowed to compete with females. 

post #22 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9secondko View Post
 

@ Quadra - LOL.  What an intolerant joke you are. That's not bigotry. that's common sense.

 

Job qualification are what makes the employee. Not personal choices in lifestyle.

 

And if you think a boy needs to use a girls bathroom because he wants to pretend he's a girl, then you need help.

 

If you think a man should be allowed to compete against girl because he thinks he is a girl, then you need help.

 

Seems to be a pattern there.

 

Stay out of politics Tim. Stick to making the best products in the world.

 

Sexual orientation and gender identity are not "personal choices in lifestyle" they are immutable characteristics. At least they are closer to being immutable than religion, which the law does not allow you to discriminate against.

post #23 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Except this concerns basic human rights. It is long overdue and I take my hat off to TC for using his position to encourage decision makers to challenge their own bigotry.
Explain to me how a gay or lesbian individual would prove they were not hired for a job based on their sexual orientation. And I would imagine people don't get hired for positions for all kinds of reasons all the time. What if two equally qualified women applied for a position but the women who was tall and skinny was hired over the shorter, fatter woman. Should the latter be allowed to sue for discrimination? And how would you prove it?
post #24 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Why just gays and women? And who, exactly is not being hired because they're gay? How in the world would you prove it?

 

You almost never see it. 

 

But what it will do is force Boy Scouts to hire men who shouldn't be over boys. Can you imagine hiring a man to sleep in a tent with young girls? Then why would you hire a gay man to sleep in a tent with young boys? Stupid.

 

To also force churches, whose Bibles teach against homosexuality, to hire homosexuals on staff, completely violating their rights and freedoms.

post #25 of 245

Can't we all just get along?

post #26 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic_Al View Post
 

 

Sexual orientation and gender identity are not "personal choices in lifestyle" they are immutable characteristics. At least they are closer to being immutable than religion, which the law does not allow you to discriminate against.

 

LOL

 

They are choices. Nothing more.

 

The greatest deception of recent times is that homosexuality is like being caucasian, hispanic, asian, etc.

 

It's a complete fallacy. 

 

It's a lifestyle choice. 

 

Not immutable. Not by birth. 

post #27 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post
 

I'm not the one who's confused here.

 

I know which box to check off on the application where it says gender.

 

I wouldn't hire anybody who is obviously confused and has mental issues and comes with various baggage.

I don't for a moment think you are confused about yourself, but your lack of insight, understanding and empathy would point to some kind of condition, or just lack of people experience. Be that as it may, your previous comment was ridiculous.

post #28 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceek74 View Post
 

Can't we all just get along?

 

It would be fine. We should.

 

But when people start shoving their beliefs down everyones throats with the law, then it gets tense.

 

ie: Cook urging Congress to pave the way for churches to hire gays as pastors... violating the rights and freedoms of those churches. 

post #29 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post
 

So, you wouldn't have hired someone like Sophie Wilson, born Roger Wilson, creator of the instruction set for the first ARM processor, which now has lineage to the A series of Applied chips on the grounds that she is "confused"?

 

I try and hire people who are brilliant.

I'm not familiar with that person, though I'm sure that there are certain known or famous people that have undergone gender changes. Two that come to mind that I can recall is Wendy Carlos (composer) and one of the brothers who created the Matrix movies. There's also Cher's daughter, but I don't think that she's known for being anything else besides Cher's daughter, so I wouldn't put her on the same list as the other people.

post #30 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I'm not the one who's confused here.

I know which box to check off on the application where it says gender.

The first time I travelled to the US, in 1982, the immigration form still asked for "sex" followed by a blank line (instead of providing checkboxes)... So I put "yes". Immigration took me 5 hours...

Seriously, gender orientation problems, as well as the fact that some people are indeed born without a clear physical disposition are acknowledged facts and often a serious burden for the people affected. Your position is as helpful as telling a person with cancer that he/she/it would be healthier without it. The only reasonable question for an employer should be if a person is qualified and, where required, has a clean record... Everything else should be of no relevance.
post #31 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9secondko View Post

You almost never see it. 

But what it will do is force Boy Scouts to hire men who shouldn't be over boys. Can you imagine hiring a man to sleep in a tent with young girls? Then why would you hire a gay man to sleep in a tent with young boys? Stupid.

To also force churches, whose Bibles teach against homosexuality, to hire homosexuals on staff, completely violating their rights and freedoms.
Liberals have no problem with discrimination. They had no problem with the Mozilla CEO being forced out because of his personal beliefs on gay marriage. But if, say, another company forced out an executive because they supported gay marriage liberals would be enraged. You see because they're all for free speech so long as it's speech they agree with.
post #32 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9secondko View Post
 

 

LOL

 

They are choices. Nothing more.

 

The greatest deception of recent times is that homosexuality is like being caucasian, hispanic, asian, etc.

 

It's a complete fallacy. 

 

It's a lifestyle choice. 

 

Not immutable. Not by birth. 

 

Whether science has determined that one way or another, the point remains that one is no more likely to "switch teams" than switch religions. A lot of employment law is about basic fairness.

post #33 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Why just gays and women? And who, exactly is not being hired because they're gay? How in the world would you prove it?

 

Some bigots are actually so proud of their ignorance that they tell the victim outright.  There are other ways to ascertain discrimination as well.

post #34 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post



Explain to me how a gay or lesbian individual would prove they were not hired for a job based on their sexual orientation. And I would imagine people don't get hired for positions for all kinds of reasons all the time. What if two equally qualified women applied for a position but the women who was tall and skinny was hired over the shorter, fatter woman. Should the latter be allowed to sue for discrimination? And how would you prove it?

 


 


Sorry, have to use your post as the quote... really am.

 


This is not just about HIRING, it is also about firing. In 28 states it still is legal to fire someone for being LGBT. They can say "I'm gay", and the employer can say "your fired", and it is legal.

 


It is the same thing if you hired 10 people, all in suits and such that you could not tell if they were male, female, or skin color. After working for years all remove and the employer looks at them and say's your fired to anyone darker skinned, and all females. Would the be legal, no, but it is if LGBT. Just due to being who you are. But the EEOC already has female, and race as protected classes, but not LGBT.

 


So ENDA needs to be passed for this reason.

You don't want to make me curmudgeon, you would not like me when I am curmudgeon.  I go all caps, bold, with a 72PT font and green lettering.  

Reply

You don't want to make me curmudgeon, you would not like me when I am curmudgeon.  I go all caps, bold, with a 72PT font and green lettering.  

Reply
post #35 of 245
This is so stupid... Apple needs to stay out of personal politics. I can't figure out where gays are discriminated against? I'm about sick and tired of the .05% tail wagging the dog.

Ten years ago everybody was saying marriage was on out-dated, obsolete institution. Now everybody wants in on it. WTF? I liked it better when liberals hated marriage.

I don't care if you are gay or straight. Shut up about sex in the workplace and do your job. Then we won't have any issues, sexual harassment, orientation or otherwise.
post #36 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post


What makes you think so? Every US enterprise depends on talent from all over the world, and making the environment less hostile will attract more talented people. This should be in everybody's best interest (besides being the right thing in the first place).

 

But tim has say in his environment, so in reality, he doesn't have to be concerned with that. What he is doing is pushing his morals down the throats of everyone else.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario View Post
 

H


Yes, this will bring Christians out of the woods bashing gay people over shellfish dinner.

 

And yet the first bash comes from you against Christians with this label of "basher." 

post #37 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Liberals have no problem with discrimination. They had no problem with the Mozilla CEO being forced out because of his personal beliefs on gay marriage. But if, say, another company forced out an executive because they supported gay marriage liberals would be enraged. You see because they're all for free speech so long as it's speech they agree with.

You do see the difference between an opinion that tries to force ones own principles on others, and one that doesn't? Cook does not want you to become gay or doubt your gender, while that Mozilla guy wanted to stop gay people from having the same rights as others. There is nothing intolerant about demanding tolerance, it is the pinnacle of intolerance to demand others to live according to your principles. Huge difference.
post #38 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post


Explain to me how a gay or lesbian individual would prove they were not hired for a job based on their sexual orientation. And I would imagine people don't get hired for positions for all kinds of reasons all the time. What if two equally qualified women applied for a position but the women who was tall and skinny was hired over the shorter, fatter woman. Should the latter be allowed to sue for discrimination? And how would you prove it?

Oh, ignorance on display.  "Size" discrimination is rightly outlawed in many jurisdictions. In some places they allow for it if the job is as an entertainer, where appearance is part of the job.  But what makes you think a heavy dude is less deserving of a job than a slender one?

post #39 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post


Liberals have no problem with discrimination. They had no problem with the Mozilla CEO being forced out because of his personal beliefs on gay marriage. But if, say, another company forced out an executive because they supported gay marriage liberals would be enraged. You see because they're all for free speech so long as it's speech they agree with.

 

Excellent post.

post #40 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Explain to me how a gay or lesbian individual would prove they were not hired for a job based on their sexual orientation. And I would imagine people don't get hired for positions for all kinds of reasons all the time. What if two equally qualified women applied for a position but the women who was tall and skinny was hired over the shorter, fatter woman. Should the latter be allowed to sue for discrimination? And how would you prove it?

It is a matter of principle. It would state that officially, in the USA sexual discrimination is a not approved, it is a thing of the past. In the end the discussion comes down to whether a person's sexual orientation is a matter choice. I would argue that anybody who thinks so is basing that on the fact that their own sexual orientation is beyond choice. If not I would dare anybody to chose to change their sexual orientation for a week. Nothing is lost, just one week. Read about another sexual orientation in depth to get to understand what it is all about, then make the decision to be gay, transgender, whatever for a week. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's Tim Cook encourages US House to pass sexual orientation nondiscrimination act