or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple reportedly probing carriers about potential $100 premium for next-gen iPhone

Apple reportedly probing carriers about potential $100 premium for next-gen iPhone - Page 4

post #121 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I'd be curious to know what Peter Misek thinks the "must have" thing will be that will justify the price increase. Is it materials like sapphire or liquid metal or some feature that no other phone has?

Why would material ever make an iPhone a must have? Do you think anyone cares what its made of? Besides people on a website like this, I mean.

This kind of conjecture is so much fun. We don't actually know if Apple is really doing 2 new sizes....but if they are, we have to have a completely rational explanation for it already prepared. :lol:

post #122 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

True, but that was notable because it was an exception to their normal pattern of generational releases maintaining a consistent price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcstarheel View Post

Then explain The New iPad (iPad 3) going retina and not increasing in price while the mini did. I still don't get that logic.

I thought by using the word "exception" that I did explain it.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
post #123 of 160
Quote:

Aren't a majority of their purchases the 16 GB model? Most people must feel that is enough space. From what I've seen the 32 GB version is usually the least purchased and 64 GB is second.

That doesn't mean they don't need more than 16GB of space. Maybe an average user cannot afford a $300 phone (on contract), plus $100 more if you wanted to add AppleCare+

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

post #124 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

That doesn't mean they don't need more than 16GB of space. Maybe an average user cannot afford a $300 phone (on contract), plus $100 more if you wanted to add AppleCare+

Yes that's exactly what it means. They don't need it, or they would have gotten it. Needing it means you can't do without it....the people that buy and use 16 GB iPhones....absolutely do without it, every single day.

This is an argument you can't win....just because your experience with a 16 GB model indicates you bought the wrong one for your needs, continues to NOT dictate, or have anything to do with, what should be available at what price point.

post #125 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

I thought by using the word "exception" that I did explain it.
That's not an explanation. Merely fact. Why was the mini with retina more than the mini without? There is no explanation but it does leave open the opportunity for Apple to increase the iPhone price as they disproved the rule of the new model of a device not increasing in price. So no one can state as fact that they wouldn't do it again.
You can't spell appeal without Apple.
post #126 of 160
Quote:

That's not an explanation. Merely fact. Why was the mini with retina more than the mini without? There is no explanation but it does leave open the opportunity for Apple to increase the iPhone price as they disproved the rule of the new model of a device not increasing in price. So no one can state as fact that they wouldn't do it again.

Nor is anyone claiming Apple wouldn't do it again. But it is not their normal pattern.

...sometimes it's both

...sometimes it's both
post #127 of 160
Quote:

I'm wondering what would justify the price increase. Surely it can't just being going from 4" to 4.7". If true, perhaps it means the new iPhone will have sapphire display, 2GB ram and the base model will be 32GB.

Samsung charges more, or at least has had higher MSRP for the larger screen models in the past and I think Samsung has to give them away because they aren't 64 bit when a lot of people know Apple's getting ready to release their larger screen models.

What might be a feature, due to the rumors of iTunes going 24 bit, maybe they'll stick in a 24 bit DAC for better audio. Anything is possible, But I would think Apple is going to increase the RAM, I think it's time they did.
post #128 of 160
Quote:

Do you have any stats to back up the bold comment above? 1 person doesn't qualify as "others" so no, I don't think others understand. Yes, I realize they offer an 8GB phone too and its a fuc$%#! joke to be honest. 

PMZ is ignoring any arguments against his position and is treating iPhone users as feature phone users. In fact you just have to look at iTunes/App Store expenditure to see people are paying for more stuff each year, along with the free stuff. And the cameras take higher resolution pictures, apps cZche more local data, games are trending towards 1G.

So no 16G isn't much.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #129 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Yes that's exactly what it means. They don't need it, or they would have gotten it. Needing it means you can't do without it....the people that buy and use 16 GB iPhones....absolutely do without it, every single day.

This is an argument you can't win....just because your experience with a 16 GB model indicates you bought the wrong one for your needs, continues to NOT dictate, or have anything to do with, what should be available at what price point.

It's really an argument you can't win. Because clearly the data requirements of modern phones are getting greater as everything downloadable gets bigger.

People buy at a price point, that doesn't mean they don't need more memory in day to day usage. You are basically saying that people "need" whatever they buy or they would have bought more, but since that argument could be used for any amount of available space you could make it if Apple introduced a 2GB base model at the same price. Need != afford.
post #130 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

It's really an argument you can't win. Because clearly the data requirements of modern phones are getting greater as everything downloadable gets bigger.

People buy at a price point, that doesn't mean they don't need more memory in day to day usage. You are basically saying that people "need" whatever they buy or they would have bought more, but since that argument could be used for any amount of available space you could make it if Apple introduced a 2GB base model at the same price. Need != afford.

I agree with everything you said and would also add that a phone you buy today will likely be used around 2 or possibly more years. Even today 16GB is really too small for much of anything but imagine the resource demand and app sizes 2 years from now using trends for last 2 years. App sizes are indeed growing exponentially. 

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. 

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. 

post #131 of 160

Samsung probably can't believe the publicity it gets for free.   Have to wonder if Misek is on their payroll.  iPhone 6 is taking off like a freight train.  Oh, wait a minute, it's going to be $100 more.  Everybody reports it as fact.  Wow.

post #132 of 160
Quote:

Nor is anyone claiming Apple wouldn't do it again. But it is not their normal pattern.
Not necessarily claimed as fact but you and many others surmised that they wouldn't do it where there is no more precedent that they wouldn't. Likely that they wouldn't, yes, but more likely than before that they would do something against the norm. That needs to be acknowledged by everyone (not just you of course) more than it has been.
post #133 of 160
Quote:

Not necessarily claimed as fact but you and many others surmised that they wouldn't do it where there is no more precedent that they wouldn't. Likely that they wouldn't, yes, but more likely than before that they would do something against the norm. That needs to be acknowledged by everyone (not just you of course) more than it has been.

Of course there is more precedent for no price increase. Since the launch of the iPhone 3G, each following generation has maintained the same contract price point regardless of how big an upgrade the new generation was. That is the only precedent for iPhones. That's not to claim they won't increase the price, but you cannot claim there is no more precedent for them maintaining price than for raising the price. The best example of them raising prices recently was the iPad Mini Retina, and as I said, that was notable because it broke with their well established pattern.

Can they go against their norm? yes. Have they? Yes. Will they? Maybe. But all of those answers are predicated on an established norn, which we have in abundance. 

...sometimes it's both

...sometimes it's both
post #134 of 160
Quote:

NEEDING?  Who NEEDS a cell phone in the first place?  Most phone calls are meaningless and superficial to begin with, unless you are a traveling professional on business, or for an emergency.    I remember back in the 90's when the most in depth conversations on a cell phone were asking each other "can you here me now?" since cell reception sucked.   But not many people actually NEED a cell phone, let alone a smartphone.  I purposely don't carry mine around on occasion to remember what it was like not having to be tied to the thing. (Regardless of brand, or model).  I still use my iPhone 4 with 8GB and it does what I "NEED" it to do, but I would like a larger screen because of my eye sight issues.   But I'm saving up for the iPhone 6 and I might get 32GB, but not sure how much more I'd need during a 2 to 3 year lifespan.

post #135 of 160
Quote:

Why would material ever make an iPhone a must have? Do you think anyone cares what its made of? Besides people on a website like this, I mean.

This kind of conjecture is so much fun. We don't actually know if Apple is really doing 2 new sizes....but if they are, we have to have a completely rational explanation for it already prepared. lol.gif
Well I look at the HTC One and all the good reviews it's received. In many cases due to the fact it's aluminum and not plastic. So yeah I do think materials matter. Go look at the iPhone 5 intro and a large portion of the video was dedicated to how the phone was manufactured. Clearly it matters to Apple.
post #136 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aslo Higgens View Post

Samsung probably can't believe the publicity it gets for free.   Have to wonder if Misek is on their payroll.  iPhone 6 is taking off like a freight train.  Oh, wait a minute, it's going to be $100 more.  Everybody reports it as fact.  Wow.
Hopefully they're as wrong this year as they were last year with the 5C.
post #137 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

PMZ is ignoring any arguments against his position and is treating iPhone users as feature phone users. In fact you just have to look at iTunes/App Store expenditure to see people are paying for more stuff each year, along with the free stuff. And the cameras take higher resolution pictures, apps cZche more local data, games are trending towards 1G.

So no 16G isn't much.

This is exactly what he's doing. Sounds more like he's just trying to justify his extra $100 purchase. Just because he made the purchase doesn't make it right. 

post #138 of 160
Quote:

People buy what they can afford. Just because they bought a 16GB phone, doesn't mean they don't need more space. It most likely means this is what they could afford because if you paid and extra $100 for 16 more GB and then I'd say most opt to get AppleCare+ which is another $100, then all of a sudden you have a $500 phone (on contract). I'm gonna go out on a limb and an average user cannot afford a $500 phone, or even a $400 phone if you wanted to nix the AppleCare+. 

You still haven't given me any hard facts as to what an average iPhone user is and how much space they use. 

I don't really see how you're going to win anything, especially since only one person has agreed with you throughout this entire thread and everyone else doesn't. Either everyone else are idiots, or there are major flaws in your thinking.

post #139 of 160
Quote:

Exactly. In my own usage, I opted to use the carrier model in the past, and got the base line 16gb iPhone 4. I also upgraded with a 16gb iPhone 5 the day of the release. Paid the 100$ for applecare, so my bill was 300$ upfront. 

Take into account now that Apple's mobile OS eats nearly 3Gb of data, and leaves the phone with only 13.3gb of usable space. When upgrading the OS, you must have over 1.2Gb of data available. That leaves me with 12.1Gb OS usable space if I want iOS updates. Apple's 1st party iLife/iWork software eats roughly 500Mb each app. (minus iPhoto, which is around 250, plus the 1gb of photos held) After installing Pages, Numbers, iPhoto, iBooks (and it's content) I'm down to around 9 gb. My iPad on the otherhand, holds these apps plus Garageband, and iMovie. Apple expects us to edit and store HD videos on our iPad/iPhone. They also expect us to edit photos. And recorded music sessions. And use the device as an iPod, which now everything is 256Kb, where one song equals nearly 8Mb per song. I have 39 albums on my iPhone right now, locally. That's 4.5Gb of music. 

I happen to pay for itunes Match, but locally stored music does not tax my carrier data plan. 

No contract plans is where I believe Apple is taking a gamble on the increase. Myself, I need a 32Gb device for my next purchase. that will already run 750$ + $100 applecare. With the increase, that now puts my purchase at $950 plus tax. The price of 2 decent PC computers!

That's now priced higher than the carrier savings from going with a no-contract option. 

post #140 of 160
Quote:

Apple selling a phone with 8GB storage is just embarrassing,

Not when it's $0.

post #141 of 160

I was thinking about getting back to an iphone. I was looking forward to a 5" screen. But, know what, you can keep it. Not interested in paying those kind of prices for a friggin phone.

post #142 of 160
Quote:

If Apple releases a 5.5" phone with a stylus I will laugh my ass off.

They won't hear you. They'll be distracted by me buying three of them.

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Audio Engineer

post #143 of 160
Quote:

People buy what they can afford. Just because they bought a 16GB phone, doesn't mean they don't need more space. It most likely means this is what they could afford because if you paid and extra $100 for 16 more GB and then I'd say most opt to get AppleCare+ which is another $100, then all of a sudden you have a $500 phone (on contract). I'm gonna go out on a limb and an average user cannot afford a $500 phone, or even a $400 phone if you wanted to nix the AppleCare+. 

You still haven't given me any hard facts as to what an average iPhone user is and how much space they use. 

I don't really see how you're going to win anything, especially since only one person has agreed with you throughout this entire thread and everyone else doesn't. Either everyone else are idiots, or there are major flaws in your thinking.

Exactly!

However back to the article..., IMO for this next version iphone (ip6 or whatever), if they raise the price, it should have a corresponding worth. I went from 4s to 5s purely on the camera improvement. Speed etc, hardly notice, yes a bit snappier.

I still have my ipad2 and appletv (720p)... waiting for a compelling reason to update. (ipad2 gets bogged down sometimes thanks to the chintzy amount of ram, but otherwise works fine).  And just to stir some loins... -IMO- Apple should allow memory cards of some sort  Its a pain transferring large amounts of data like a movie (sacre bleu, sacrilegious!!!)

Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
post #144 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiao-zhi View Post

I don't know about the USA, but in Asian markets that would be a serious mistake because Apple is already on the high end and perceived to cost a premium already and that will put it out of reach for exactly the young people they hope to attract as long term customers.

Everyone knows Apple has high profits, that will make them look a bit like thieves.

Someone suggested to me that I look at Apple's prices the way I would Mercedes, but for some reason that sentiment doesn't seem to be resonating with the 20-somethings I work with. They just see iPhones as "geezly expensive." One can argue forever why they're right or wrong, but it doesn't really matter. They think what they think.

Audio Engineer

Audio Engineer

post #145 of 160
Quote:

Of course there is more precedent for no price increase. Since the launch of the iPhone 3G, each following generation has maintained the same contract price point regardless of how big an upgrade the new generation was. That is the only precedent for iPhones. That's not to claim they won't increase the price, but you cannot claim there is no more precedent for them maintaining price than for raising the price. The best example of them raising prices recently was the iPad Mini Retina, and as I said, that was notable because it broke with their well established pattern.

Can they go against their norm? yes. Have they? Yes. Will they? Maybe. But all of those answers are predicated on an established norn, which we have in abundance. 
Their latest major release for iPhone came with a screen size increase (against the "in abundance" norm) and then the next came with two phones released at once and a sunset of the previous year's model (again against the "in abundance" norm). Their latest major release for iPad (mini to retina) came with a price increase. I think norms are out the window at this point. Especially with this potential significant screen size increase/phablet release. They may release a new 4" at $199, 4.5"-4.7" at $299, and 5.5" at $399 while keeping the 4S. They may increase the entry level size to 32 GB. They may discontinue the 4". Certainties and norms are gradually fading away.
post #146 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipen View Post

Quote:

Apple selling a phone with 8GB storage is just embarrassing,

Not when it's $0.

It's NOT zero dollars. It's exactly the same price as if you bought it without contract, you're just paying for it monthly through your plan instead of all up front.

I give credit to Canadian carrier Fido for finally demonstrating exactly how carrier subsidies work. If you want a subsidized iPhone you MUST subscribe to a "Max" plan. The difference in price between a Max plan and a Standard plan is exactly the amount of the iPhone subsidy divided by 24.

Audio Engineer

Audio Engineer

post #147 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post

It's NOT zero dollars. It's exactly the same price as if you bought it without contract, you're just paying for it monthly through your plan instead of all up front.

I give credit to Canadian carrier Fido for finally demonstrating exactly how carrier subsidies work. If you want a subsidized iPhone you MUST subscribe to a "Max" plan. The difference in price between a Max plan and a Standard plan is exactly the amount of the iPhone subsidy divided by 24.

It didn't used to work that way (with Fido). And when they were forced to 2 year limits on plans, they hiked all plans, even for those that would have been on 2 year terms anyway and for those that wouldn't be on a term at all. And when they first went to the 2 year Max plans, you paid more but got less so it was even more of a hike. 

Very little credit to be given to them at all. If you want to give credit, give credit to TMobile for bringing in their "no contract" pricing, which really showed what the phones and plans are worth.

Edited by Tulkas - 4/14/14 at 5:25pm

...sometimes it's both

...sometimes it's both
post #148 of 160
Quote:

Their latest major release for iPhone came with a screen size increase (against the "in abundance" norm) and then the next came with two phones released at once and a sunset of the previous year's model (again against the "in abundance" norm). Their latest major release for iPad (mini to retina) came with a price increase. I think norms are out the window at this point. Especially with this potential significant screen size increase/phablet release. They may release a new 4" at $199, 4.5"-4.7" at $299, and 5.5" at $399 while keeping the 4S. They may increase the entry level size to 32 GB. They may discontinue the 4". Certainties and norms are gradually fading away.

Every single iPhone release had varying degrees of improvements, albeit some "bigger" than others. The 3GS was a massive performance increase over the 3G, same price. The 4 was another massive performance boost and Retina to boot, same price. The 4S was a significant performance boost, same price. The 5 was a huge performance boost and a bigger screen, same price. The 5S added TouchID and another steep performance gain, same price. 

Big or small upgrades, their iPhones have maintained a static contract price. As far as iPhones, when have they broken the norm? With iPads and iPad mini, there is so far only one example that is able to be cited.

It's fine to speculate that they might break their established pattern and raise the price for the next iPhone. Could happen. But to try to explain that speculation by citing a single example from a different product category, which is sold via different channels and with different pricing models (contracts) and was itself so unusual as to be notable, is stretching it a bit.

Edited by Tulkas - 4/14/14 at 5:51pm

...sometimes it's both

...sometimes it's both
post #149 of 160
Quote:

Speak for yourself. I could care less.

The correct phrase is "I couldn't care less".

post #150 of 160
4.7" $199 16gb

5.5" $299 16gb

Bank it
I've been trying to come up with a lifestyle that doesn't require my presence.
I've been trying to come up with a lifestyle that doesn't require my presence.
post #151 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Based on the amount of supposed leaks I have to wonder if Apple will change up the iPhone release schedule again, this time bringing it back close to a Summer release. Sure, it doesn't work well for iOS testing but it could allow them to build more supply for the Holiday quarter and allow the next event in their Autumn to allow for more devices.
AnandTech's results on NAND speed have not been kind.

I would love to see an SSD SoC. Essentially several smaller NAND chips packaged with an SSD controller so that they could speed up the performance of the NAND several fold.

Those are pretty good results, you cant expect super fast Desktop SSD or Top End SD card performance. Power consumption matters. And if you take those into account NAND inside our phone has actually gotten 2 - 3 times faster in the past 4 - 5 years.

Yes, TSV NAND with Controller will come soon. Those will be small and fast. But i dont have any power usage information. And Apple cares about it much more then performance.

post #152 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksec View Post

Those are pretty good results, you cant expect super fast Desktop SSD or Top End SD card performance. Power consumption matters. And if you take those into account NAND inside our phone has actually gotten 2 - 3 times faster in the past 4 - 5 years.

Yes, TSV NAND with Controller will come soon. Those will be small and fast. But i dont have any power usage information. And Apple cares about it much more then performance.

Here is AnandTech's squencal write speed for an iPhone 4 and 3x iPhone 4S's:

Now compare that with the same type of test for those newer devices:

Only the Galaxy Note 3 seems out of place but since it's a phablet something else could be going on. Everything else is at or below what the iPhone 4 was back in 2010.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #153 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by sestewart View Post

Only Apple could price a phone as high as a macbook. Hopefully enough people will be on the carrier's new no contract option to stick it to these every two year upgrades. Prices have got to cone down on these things soon, or the market will lose steam.

No one wants to go out and keep buying new cases/accessories/docks every two years for a phone. the iPad is 499 for a GIANT screen! What is the reason for a phone being 700$ as a base cost?

It would be nice to see lower off contract pricing, but I don't see any reason why it would be necessary to buy a new phone ever year.

Quote:

The iPhone 5s will stick around at 16 GB for $99.

The iPhone 5c will live on as well at 8 GB for $0 and 16 for $99.

iPhone 4.7" will start at 16 GB for $199

iPhone 5.5" will start at 16 GB fro $299.

They went with the 5c over the 5. It may have been cheaper to produce the c. If they don't determine that to be a failed strategy, you are more likely to see a revised 5c with the 5s discontinued.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

NEEDING?  Who NEEDS a cell phone in the first place?  Most phone calls are meaningless and superficial to begin with, unless you are a traveling professional on business, or for an emergency.    I remember back in the 90's when the most in depth conversations on a cell phone were asking each other "can you here me now?" since cell reception sucked.   But not many people actually NEED a cell phone, let alone a smartphone.  I purposely don't carry mine around on occasion to remember what it was like not having to be tied to the thing. (Regardless of brand, or model).  I still use my iPhone 4 with 8GB and it does what I "NEED" it to do, but I would like a larger screen because of my eye sight issues.   But I'm saving up for the iPhone 6 and I might get 32GB, but not sure how much more I'd need during a 2 to 3 year lifespan.

I think it's reasonable to say need at the basic level.  It doesn't have to be a smartphone. You can get a flip phone for $30 with a cheap prepaid plan. There are some situations where you might need to make a call, and payphones are almost non-existent at this point. They may have been a viable option 15-20 years ago, but most of them are gone now. I don't personally update phones very often. It's usually used and keep it for 3 years or so.

post #154 of 160
Quote:

sure there are reasons the price could increase. I'm speculating what they might be. I don't know if just a bigger screen in and of itself is a good enough reason. I'm sure retina had a cost associated with it but the 3rd gen iPad didn't become more expensive than the 2nd gen. No doubt the iPhone 5 had lots of manufacturing complexities but it stayed the same price as the 4S, and the 5S with Touch ID didn't increase in price either. Unless this phone really has something unique I can't see a price increase being good for Apple. Of course if this $100 increase is in relation to some phablet like device then it would make more sense.

Every smartphone in the world has a large screen display, so I can't imagine what's so special about Apple's display that they'd need to charge $100 more than everyone else.  What happened to Apple's supposed economies of scale.  It seems as though as Apple sells more and more iPhones, the prices remain the same although I'm sure their margins increase.  But still and all, the margins aren't increasing enough for Wall Street's satisfaction.  Apple doesn't appear to be making any headway at all.  The main problem is that Apple simply can't sell enough iPhones.  Once Tim Cook gets that through his skull, maybe Apple will finally tap some of that overseas cash to create new revenue streams to fill iPhone's obvious revenue holes.  $100 more per iPhone?  Apple has got to be kidding.  They really do hate growing market share.  I think I'd already heard the Galaxy S5 was being offered as a BOGO by some carriers.

post #155 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

Every smartphone in the world has a large screen display...

1) WHY DO YOU MAKE SUCH IDIOTIC COMMENTS?!

2) There have been many reasons stated as to what technologies Apple need to wait for in making an iPhone with a larger display. Your refusal to acknowledges any of them has no barring on Apple's reasoning.

post #156 of 160
1) WHY DO YOU MAKE SUCH IDIOTIC COMMENTS?!

That should be AI’s tagline.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
post #157 of 160
Quote:

1) You have no way of knowing that. All you have are some company's made up numbers. They probably used some foundation of truth to get what they think are reasonable assumptions but they can't know for sure posting this as a fact isn't reasonable. "iSuppli believes…." would be a reasonable way to start your comments, assuming these figures came from them.

2) Did the cost of the iPhone 5S include the acquisition of AuthenTec for $356 MM? How many iPhone 5S's have sold? If it's 50 MM that means the each iPhone 5S costs $7.12, but that doesn't count Apple cost for developing the HW (which includes the secure enclave on the A7 chip) or the SW. That's just one new component and we already have no concept of what that has cost Apple to get that into the device. Do we even know how much that sapphire cover on the Home Button cost?

Please don't try to confuse us with logic, most just assume that since Apple has unlimited financial resources all R&D and acquisition costs are readily absorbed by Apple in general and don't affect selling prices at all.

/s

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

post #158 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacHarry de View Post

OK, my iPhone 5 64 GB costs 899 US$ (here in Europe 899 EUR) without carrier contract. Does it mean, my next iPhone 6 costs 1.000 US$/EUR? Whahaha, awsome. Cracking the 1.000 US$ for a phone. Not bad!

They did that at least 2 years back. I bought the iPhone 5 and 5S for approximately $1100 here in India.

post #159 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

Every smartphone in the world has a large screen display, so I can't imagine what's so special about Apple's display that they'd need to charge $100 more than everyone else.  What happened to Apple's supposed economies of scale.  It seems as though as Apple sells more and more iPhones, the prices remain the same although I'm sure their margins increase.  But still and all, the margins aren't increasing enough for Wall Street's satisfaction.  Apple doesn't appear to be making any headway at all.  The main problem is that Apple simply can't sell enough iPhones.  Once Tim Cook gets that through his skull, maybe Apple will finally tap some of that overseas cash to create new revenue streams to fill iPhone's obvious revenue holes.  $100 more per iPhone?  Apple has got to be kidding.  They really do hate growing market share.  I think I'd already heard the Galaxy S5 was being offered as a BOGO by some carriers.

Honest question: Are you drunk?

...sometimes it's both

...sometimes it's both
post #160 of 160
Quote:

The iPhone 5s will stick around at 16 GB for $99.

The iPhone 5c will live on as well at 8 GB for $0 and 16 for $99.

iPhone 4.7" will start at 16 GB for $199

iPhone 5.5" will start at 16 GB fro $299.

I have a hard time to think Apple would go for a 5.5" "phablet" version, but that aside, I'd expect Apple to have the following price points considering your estimate:

- iPhone 5c will live on as 16gb for $0.

- iPhone 5s will live on as 16gb for $99.

- iPhone 4.7" will start at 16gb for $199.

- iPhone 5.5" will start at 16gb for $299.

I see it much more logical, Apple would never price the iPhone 5c and 5s at 16gb both at the same price points.

What I personally expect from Apple, seeing the latest picture-backed rumours, is the following line-up:

- iPhone 5c is updated to iPhone 6c at 16gb+ with a price point of $49.

- iPhone 5s is updated to iPhone 6 at 16gb+ with a price point of $199.

- iPhone 6s with a 4.7" screen is added with 32gb+. with a price point of $299.

I'd also see the price increments will be lowered from the now $100 to $50, i.e. iPhone 6 with 32gb will have a price point of $249.

But its just my expectation, I really look forward to see what Apple cooks up :)

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple reportedly probing carriers about potential $100 premium for next-gen iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple reportedly probing carriers about potential $100 premium for next-gen iPhone