or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › New photograph of purported 'iPhone 6' tooling suggests device with 4.7" display

New photograph of purported 'iPhone 6' tooling suggests device with 4.7" display

post #1 of 67
Just days after pictures surfaced of what were said to be molds for Apple's next-generation iPhone, a new photograph has emerged that gives a clearer indication of the parts' scale and sheds light on the possible physical dimensions of the new handset.

The photograph shows what appears to be the same mold that cropped up on Sunday, but with a white iPhone 4s posed next to it for scale. The picture was first published by French blog Nowhereelse.fr.

The publication believes that the mold, which is tapered, will be used to form the rear casing of the so-called iPhone 6. The outermost rim of the mold is slightly taller and wider than the iPhone 4s next to it, indicating that the casing will be larger than current models.

Rough measurements of the mold, arrived at by superimposing a photo of Apple's iPhone 5s and resizing it using the pictures iPhone 4s as a guide, seem to suggest a device with a 4.7-inch display. That matches up with previous whispers, including a recent prediction from well-connected analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities, though the measurement does assume that the face of the next-generation handset will not undergo significant changes.

Apple is widely expected to unveil two new iPhones with different screen sizes this fall in a nod to worldwide consumer trends toward larger-screened handsets. In addition to the rumored 4.7-inch display, the company is also thought to be preparing a much larger 5.5-inch "phablet" variant.
post #2 of 67

I hope the bezels are reduced more, I think it would be awkward to handle with one hand, much like the HTC One M8

post #3 of 67
Current phone is 123.8 x 58.6 so this one looks to be 15mm taller and 5.5mm wider. For me, that's too large, and therefore hope they will keep a 4" screen sized iPhone should they releaser a larger display one.

Thank you.
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
post #4 of 67
Just what I need. An iPhone so large that it doesn't fit in my pocket! And an iPhone so large that I can't use it one-handed.

Wow, thanks Tim Cook, for your AMAZING INNOVATIONS since Steve died!!

Meanwhile, the ONE LARGE THING that we really do need has been discontinued: the 17" laptop. High screen resolution doesn't matter if the pixels are so small that you have to squint while trying to edit video.

Tim Cook and Phil Schiller are making a complete mess of Steve's house.
post #5 of 67
I am curious that they are using molds to manufacture the enclosure, when the enclosure is milled from a block of aluminum for the 5/5s. As far as I know (not very much) a mold is not needed for milling the enclosure.

My take: either this mold is for a plastic enclosure, or a LiquidMetal enclosure, or it is not a mold, or it's a false leak.
post #6 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

Just what I need. An iPhone so large that it doesn't fit in my pocket! And an iPhone so large that I can't use it one-handed.

Meanwhile, the ONE LARGE THING that we really do need has been discontinued: the 17" laptop. High screen resolution doesn't matter if the pixels are so small that you have to squint while trying to edit video.

Start whining about the lack of matte screens and I'll start calling you zunc¡
post #7 of 67
The picture is a joke, it's just an iPhone 5 that looks large next to a 4s with dimensions drawn on the image.
post #8 of 67
Quote:

This post is idiotic or sarcastic. Can't tell.

Regardless, I think an iPhablet (>5") would be horrible.
post #9 of 67
This is innovation?

Put cellular capability on the iPad mini and leave the iPhone footprint alone.
If Apple must then just put on the 5C.

Where's the new Apple TV?

And still waiting for SolipsismX to prove his accusation:
"And yet they haven't loved Google Wallet which you claimed was the exact same thing and kept posting...

"And yet they haven't loved Google Wallet which you claimed was the exact same thing and kept posting...
post #10 of 67
When Tim Cook unveils this iPhab will people be laughing in their seats - will Steve Jobs be rolling in his grave? Atrocious.

post #11 of 67

If Steve still lives, you will have 3.5" iPhone still. Yes. appreciate it. BTW, increasing a phone screen is not an innovation.

Congratulation to Samsung Galaxy S5 for winning CNET's Best Android Phone of the Year 2014

"From the owner of iPhone 6+, Best Smart Phone of the Year 2014"

Congratulation to Samsung Galaxy S5 for winning CNET's Best Android Phone of the Year 2014

post #12 of 67
Quote:

Just what I need. An iPhone so large that it doesn't fit in my pocket!

If you think going from a 4" screen to a 4.7" is going to make the iPhone so much larger that it won't fit in your pocket, you must have some pretty small pockets. My iPhone 5" fits easily in to the front of back pocket of my Levis with room to spare. And no, I don't have a 36" waistline with an ample caboose ;). A slightly wider and taller iPhone 6 will have no appreciable affect on that.

post #13 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

This is innovation?

Put cellular capability on the iPad mini and leave the iPhone footprint alone.
If Apple must then just put on the 5C.

iPad Mini doesn't have GPS, so you also need GPS to call it a smart phone.

post #14 of 67

I don’t think the far point of that screen is accessible.

It’s wider than the 5S and even wider by 11/1000ths of an inch than the first-gen iPhone with its gorgeously curvy front. Width isn’t really the problem, however, as a fingertip can reach beyond the first-gen’s case far enough, so without much side bezel on the 8th iPhone (contrasting with the large one on the first-gen) screen accessibility width would be fine. But it is a problem when you start increasing the height. 

This thing is 5.43” tall, which is just over half an inch taller than the iPhone 5S. The iPhone 5S’s screen is entirely reachable with a thumb, but this one won’t be. Not for anyone shy of 6’4”, at least. Apple has shaved 16/100ths of an inch off the thickness of the iPhone in seven models. They’d need this one to be something like half an inch thinner than the first-gen for the entire screen to be reachable on a 4.7” model.

In the time between now and September, I’ll get some cardboard and mock these things up for everyone. Don’t let me forget it. 

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
post #15 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

If you think going from a 4" screen to a 4.7" is going to make the iPhone so much larger that it won't fit in your pocket, you must have some pretty small pockets. My iPhone 5" fits easily in to the front of back pocket of my Levis with room to spare. And no, I don't have a 36" waistline with an ample caboose ;). A slightly wider and taller iPhone 6 will have no appreciable affect on that.

Yup. The current iPhone 5/5s with bumper already made the phone 64mm width and 128mm lenght. Unless one can't afford a 10mm longer phone, I don't see the difference here either.

post #16 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

If Steve still lives, you will have 3.5" iPhone still. Yes. appreciate it. BTW, increasing a phone screen is not an innovation.

If Steve Jobs were alive we would have a 2" phone and a 28" mac book air.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #17 of 67
Quote:

I had an HTC One for a time and it fit fine in my pocket. What kind of pants do you guys wear?! :D

post #18 of 67

The speculated 64mm width is close to a typical adult 65mm interpupillary distance, thus adequate to support stereoscopic (3-D) photography without needing to rotate the handset.  

post #19 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by manicakes View Post

I am curious that they are using molds to manufacture the enclosure, when the enclosure is milled from a block of aluminum for the 5/5s. As far as I know (not very much) a mold is not needed for milling the enclosure.

My take: either this mold is for a plastic enclosure, or a LiquidMetal enclosure, or it is not a mold, or it's a false leak.

No, HTC One metal casing were from mold as well. So it doesn't have to be Liquid Metal.

post #20 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

When Tim Cook unveils this iPhab will people be laughing in their seats - will Steve Jobs be rolling in his grave? Atrocious.

And people (including me) will be buying it like crazy.

post #21 of 67
I'll take a small one but for the sake of its stock value AAPL better make a jumbo!
post #22 of 67

Is that a white sneaker in the upper right of the picture? 

While everybody else is talking about the phone, I don't really care about that. I think that catching the leakers is important.

post #23 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon_PhoneApart View Post

I had an HTC One for a time and it fit fine in my pocket. What kind of pants do you guys wear?! :D

I saw a fella on the bus the other day who easily had a 58" waist, and baggy pants with pockets big enough to conceal all manner of phones, pads, notebooks, laptops, and other weaponry. 8^)   

Thankfully, said pants were not "low slung"....

post #24 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

iPad Mini doesn't have GPS, so you also need GPS to call it a smart phone.

iPad mini has GPS if you get the cellular enabled version, same with the Air.
post #25 of 67

I don't think it is a mold. Too many holes. Perhaps a die and they decided to press a shape on the edges. I thought I remember we had a resident machining expert, can't remember who it is right now, but if you look at the original photo without the superimposed iPhone you can see a lot more detail.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #26 of 67
Quote:

You do understand that this is just a rumor?  No one is forcing you, yet, to get a bigger iPhone.

post #27 of 67
On macrumors someone pointed out that this thing will have a larger case at the same time with smaller display than nexus 5.
Wow Johnny, really?

PS I hope this mold is for 5.5 model
post #28 of 67
Quote:

One more LARGE thing ?

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.

Frank Zappa

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.

Frank Zappa

post #29 of 67

While i'm not convinced I want a larger phone, globally, there is a desire for larger smartphones, especially in Asian markets. As a global company, Apple needs to look at different markets, and when there is sufficient need that doesn't harm the brand otherwise, develop for them. I don't think Jobs would have had issue with that, not that he's the barometer any longer (nor can any of us extrapolate his opinion in 2014)

If Apple is doing this, the key will be their innovate ideas -  to make it feel smaller and more balanced than its size might belie. 

For example, perhaps loading 10-20% more weight toward the bottom half (vertically) to lower the fulcrum into your palm, not teetering at the forefinger. Contracting the interface elements to a thumb-reachable quadrant (not just enlarging the existing interface) might also be useful.

Gaining more room for storage and longer batter life will be positive marketing attributes as well.

post #30 of 67

Is this an Android site? with those ugly rumors it kinda looks that way 

I mean seriously do u actually expect Apple to launch a product called phablet? 

post #31 of 67

4.5" this year, early 2015 two models 4.3" and 4.7 (4.7 a slightly larger than iPhone 5 design), and later 2015 three models 4.3, 4.5 and 4.7 

also an 5.5" iPad nano probably next year

Apple's way is only one way- the right way....The End

post #32 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I don’t think the far point of that screen is accessible.

It’s wider than the 5S and even wider by 11/1000ths of an inch than the first-gen iPhone with its gorgeously curvy front. Width isn’t really the problem, however, as a fingertip can reach beyond the first-gen’s case far enough, so without much side bezel on the 8th iPhone (contrasting with the large one on the first-gen) screen accessibility width would be fine. But it is a problem when you start increasing the height. 

This thing is 5.43” tall, which is just over half an inch taller than the iPhone 5S. The iPhone 5S’s screen is entirely reachable with a thumb, but this one won’t be. Not for anyone shy of 6’4”, at least. Apple has shaved 16/100ths of an inch off the thickness of the iPhone in seven models. They’d need this one to be something like half an inch thinner than the first-gen for the entire screen to be reachable on a 4.7” model.

In the time between now and September, I’ll get some cardboard and mock these things up for everyone. Don’t let me forget it. 

Well...I have to point out that the iPhone 5/5s/5c are not as easily one-handed as you describe. I have relatively large hands and I still find myself "rocking" the phone a bit for my thumb to reach the top corners.

Honestly, 3.5" was the only truly EASY one handed device. Everything and anything bigger than that is going to present SOME measure of added difficulty for one handed operation.

It becomes a question of tradeoffs. It becomes a question of market demand. Do people care more about a larger screen than they do one handed operation?

Apple has undoubtedly been milling this question since before the launch of the first iPhone.

Also of note: Apple has been designing iOS 7 to further accommodate this....ie: Swipe from the edge to go back, instead of hunting down that lowly back button in the top corner. All across iOS 7, it is easier to use than iOS 6 with a larger screen.

post #33 of 67

Whoever put the iPhone 5 front plate over that mold and drew the arrow and wrote 4.7" on it should be fired.

post #34 of 67
Quote:

I hope they release a 8" phone just to piss guys like you off.

That 4.7" looks amazing- although I, too, hope for smaller bezels.  Take my money- September get here soon!

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini Retina, iPhone 6, iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini Retina, iPhone 6, iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #35 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

It becomes a question of tradeoffs. It becomes a question of market demand. Do people care more about a larger screen than they do one handed operation?

I would welcome a slightly larger screen at the expense of (some) one-handed operation. But then I'm just one customer.

post #36 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I don't think it is a mold. Too many holes. Perhaps a die and they decided to press a shape on the edges. I thought I remember we had a resident machining expert, can't remember who it is right now, but if you look at the original photo without the superimposed iPhone you can see a lot more detail.

Yeah, for certain that's not a mold.  If you're going to injection mold millions of parts, you don't do so with one-up molds; you create 16-up or greater molds.  Besides, look that the two holes, one in each bottom corner.  Those wouldn't be there in a mold.  They certainly aren't injection ports for plastic to flow into the mold.  This is just silly.  It's some kind of jig for some purpose.  Probably says little about how the final product will appear.

I don't care about what the ignorant masses perceive as truth. I'm concerned with the facts on the ground.
I don't care about what the ignorant masses perceive as truth. I'm concerned with the facts on the ground.
post #37 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Whoever put the iPhone 5 front plate over that mold and drew the arrow and wrote 4.7" on it should be fired.

Fired is the first action I'd take against that person.  Just silly to add that on top of the misconception that this thing is a mold in the first place.

post #38 of 67
So basically whatever Apple does is bad. When the 5 and 5S came out it was bad because people want larger screens and 4" isn't large enough. Now that it looks like we'll be getting a larger screen Apple is stupid because it supposedly won't fit in someone's pocket and Apple should leave phablets to Android. And I guarantee you if we end up with three different screen sizes someone will complain that Steve Jobs would never have allowed it and Apple is making his simple product matrix too complex. And under any one of these scenarios Cook, Schiller and Ive will need to be fired for incompetence.
post #39 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadarTheKat View Post

Fired is the first action I'd take against that person.  Just silly to add that on top of the misconception that this thing is a mold in the first place.
All they did was take the 5 display and stretch it to fit this "mold" which no one even knows if it really is a mold or if it has anything to do with the new iPhone for that matter.
post #40 of 67
The innovation will be in the manufacturing process. The device will be borderless, which means, it will still fit nicely in your hand, and with a sapphire glass screen, it will look and feel very valuable and advanced.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • New photograph of purported 'iPhone 6' tooling suggests device with 4.7" display
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › New photograph of purported 'iPhone 6' tooling suggests device with 4.7" display