or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rumor: First photo of supposed 'iPhone 6' front panel surfaces

Rumor: First photo of supposed 'iPhone 6' front panel surfaces

post #1 of 70
A single photo of what appears to be a larger than normal iPhone front panel assembly showed up on Chinese microblogging website Sina Weibo on Tuesday, offering what could be the first look at Apple's next-generation handset.

Click for larger. | Source: Sina Weibo user jiezhixc

While the image is not of the highest quality, it looks as though someone is holding a black iPhone 5s next to an oversized front panel supposedly belonging to Apple's next-gen iPhone 6. The somewhat suspect photo was posted to Sina Weibo by user jiezhixc (via iPhon.fr).

Taking a closer look, there is an immediately noticeable difference between the two front faces and it seems as though the iPhone 5s could fit width-wise into the purported iPhone 6 screen's cutout without much trouble. It is unclear if the larger panel holds a screen with the correct 16:9 aspect ratio used in all iPhones since the iPhone 5.

The usual home button cutout is clearly visible in the alleged part, as are holes for a front-facing FaceTime camera, IR proximity sensor and pill-shaped opening for the ear speaker. Screen bezels look to be very slim in comparison with current Apple handsets, though the overall layout corresponds with existing models.

Even if the part is not legitimate, the photo offers a good example of what a 4.7-inch or 5.5-inch iPhone could look like in comparison to a current-generation model.

A number of publications and analysts, including KGI's Ming-Chi Kuo, predict Apple will bring two larger iPhone versions to market, likely in a fall product cycle refresh.
post #2 of 70
Who's copying who now. 1wink.gif
post #3 of 70

But my thumb only goes from here to here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY4c2mh15Yk

post #4 of 70
Jive Talking
post #5 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

Who's copying who now. 1wink.gif
How is changing the screen size considered copying - It is the natural progression in form factor.
post #6 of 70
@cnocbui - Crating new divides with a new screen size is not copying.. It's simply a response to their market.. Something Apple is slow to respond to, they like taking their time.. Shoot, it's been 7 years on the 3.5" and 4" sizes.

They tend to dominate as best they can with whats working first then look into other markets.. They have the 4" dominated.. now they move into the larger screen space..
post #7 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by radster360 View Post

How is changing the screen size considered copying - It is the natural progression in form factor.

Feeding a troll, response it was hoping for.

Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
post #8 of 70
The part looks quite convincing. The side bezels appear to be the same width as the current 5s not slimmer. Also the IR sensor hole appears larger than the FaceTime camera one. I don't remember if it's always been that way but maybe that's actually for the FaceTime camera instead allowing for a higher resolution part for better quality selfies like on the HTC One M8. Anyway it's the most realistic looking leak of an iPhone 6 part so far.
post #9 of 70
I like the 4", just big enough to see and small enough to use and conveniently store in my pocket. I just don't get the phablet trend beyond niche yet.
post #10 of 70
I really hope that's not real. The size of that thing looks absolutely ridiculous.
post #11 of 70
I'll be absolutely shocked if they scale up a 5s and use that for the 6. The phone looks ridiculous that big with such huge top and bottom bezels. A larger phone means more of the internals can be hidden beneath the screen. So the top and bottom bezels can and should shrink appreciably.
post #12 of 70

You are correct it looks ridiculous indeed. To dam big to carry around.

post #13 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shogun View Post

I'll be absolutely shocked if they scale up a 5s and use that for the 6. The phone looks ridiculous that big with such huge top and bottom bezels. A larger phone means more of the internals can be hidden beneath the screen. So the top and bottom bezels can and should shrink appreciably.
You're forgetting about the home button. Until the home button goes away the top and bottom bezels are always going to be as wide as necessary to accommodate it. And Apple will never go with asymmetrical bezels.
post #14 of 70
If this is it, I would be disappointed, I was hoping for a smaller bezel and a bit different design on the front.
post #15 of 70
I believe! That's it; it's the iPhone 6, 4.7" diag.
Extraordinarily intriguing!
post #16 of 70
That thing looks ginormous. Hope they have a top-tier 4" offering.
post #17 of 70
Quote:

How is it ridiculous? Its still smaller than most flagship android phonees.Also, how the hell would the bottom bezel get and smaller? It barely fits the home button as is, which is a non-negotiable component. Also, it still has to LOOK like an iPhone, which is iconic. Consistency is good. This looks like a bigger iPhone, exactly what it should look like. You think it looks ridiculous now because you're not used to it- a couple months after release,when millions of them are around, it will look as normal as every other iPhone. Everyone also said the iPhone 5 looked ridiculous too.
post #18 of 70
This seems legit. Pay attention to the lower right hand side of the photograph. There is a whole pile of front panels
post #19 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Click for larger. | Source: Sina Weibo user jiezhixc

The holes are wrong - Apple not only maintains symmetry with the top and bottom bezels but they properly space out the camera and earpiece. You can see the difference with the front facing camera placement in the Chinese knock-off Goophone and genuine iPhone 5S:

Go to 0:07 in the first and 4:33 in the second and look at the spacing of the parts at the top. The Goophone 5 arrived before the iPhone 5:

http://www.itworld.com/networking/294199/chinese-clone-goophone-arrives-real-apple-iphone-5-first-shot-patent-battle

They are somehow managing to get product details before the genuine product is launched and building replicas in advance. This could mean they've built a replica front-face under the assumption that Apple will just put a huge display in.

It could be Apple has put a similar size through their supply chain to catch out the Goophone leaks. They've hinted already that they're considering a large display but I'd be very surprised if they ship a device that looks like that.
post #20 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achillies7 View Post

If this is it, I would be disappointed, I was hoping for a smaller bezel and a bit different design on the front.
different design on the front? How different can you design a rectangular screen? As far as the bezels, Apple just introduced Touch ID into the home button last year. Did anyone seriously think a year later the home button would be gone? Did anyone seriously think Apple would incorporate asymmetrical top and bottom bezels? I suppose they could have shrunk the bezel to just barely cover the home button but I've seen mockups that do that and it really makes the button look out of place. As far as the side bezels I don't get what people are complaining about. Would shaving 1mm or whatever really make that much of a difference? I don't get it.
post #21 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by radster360 View Post

Right and the 11" MBA isn't a high end netbook.

Where's the new Apple TV?

And still waiting for SolipsismX to prove his accusation:
"And yet they haven't loved Google Wallet which you claimed was the exact same thing and kept posting...

Where's the new Apple TV?

And still waiting for SolipsismX to prove his accusation:
"And yet they haven't loved Google Wallet which you claimed was the exact same thing and kept posting...
post #22 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

That picture has definitely been photoshopped. There's an elbow and leg to the right of the panel with nothing else attached.

The person belonging to the arm and leg is bending over.
post #23 of 70
Quote:

That picture has definitely been photoshopped. There's an elbow and leg to the right of the panel with nothing else attached.

Aren't they attached to the rest of the body you see through the screen ?

Plus I think that is one person wearing the jeans and purple shirt bent over pulling screens off the pallet
post #24 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

How is it ridiculous? Its still smaller than most flagship android phonees.Also, how the hell would the bottom bezel get and smaller? It barely fits the home button as is, which is a non-negotiable component. Also, it still has to LOOK like an iPhone, which is iconic. Consistency is good. This looks like a bigger iPhone, exactly what it should look like. You think it looks ridiculous now because you're not used to it- a couple months after release,when millions of them are around, it will look as normal as every other iPhone. Everyone also said the iPhone 5 looked ridiculous too.
People need to stop expecting things that most likely aren't going to happen, at least not right now. Over on MacRumors people are complaining that the screen isn't bezel free. Did anyone seriously think the next iPhone would be bezel free? After Apple just implemented Touch ID into the home button? I'm sure it considerable amount of work when it's engineering that. Are we really supposed to believe that only one year later Apple would engineer something completely different (i.e. a non physical home button)? Also anyone that knows Apple should know they would never design asymmetrical bezels so however wide the bottom bezel needs to be is how wide the top bezel will be. Maybe someday the home button will be gone and we'll have a completely bezel free phone but anyone who thought it would be this year is nuts.
post #25 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achillies7 View Post

Was never going to be the case, so you set yourself up for that disappointment.
post #26 of 70
I'd be happy if it is that size. Same overall design we know and love with a bigger screen and thinner bezel. Perfect. But I'll take black 1wink.gif

iPod, iPad, iPad2, iPad 3, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, AppleTV (1,2 & 3), 13" MacBook Pro, 24" Cinema Display, Time Capsule, 21.5" iMac (Mid 2011)

iPod, iPad, iPad2, iPad 3, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, AppleTV (1,2 & 3), 13" MacBook Pro, 24" Cinema Display, Time Capsule, 21.5" iMac (Mid 2011)

post #27 of 70
What's with the elbow and legs?
post #28 of 70

Bezel, Top and Cut out for the Home button just seem to be scaled up version of the iphone5s.

Don't believe Apple would do this. Not for me.

post #29 of 70
Too small 😞
post #30 of 70
Quote:

That picture has definitely been photoshopped. There's an elbow and leg to the right of the panel with nothing else attached. The glass is reflecting a roof window but also showing two people behind it, one wearing jeans, the other a purple shirt and they are distorted in a way that wouldn't happen with a flat sheet of glass.

Hahahahaha, thanks for making my day. Hopefully you were joking or else my guess is you're not too good at Photohunt....

post #31 of 70
Quote:

That picture has definitely been photoshopped. There's an elbow and leg to the right of the panel with nothing else attached. The glass is reflecting a roof window but also showing two people behind it, one wearing jeans, the other a purple shirt and they are distorted in a way that wouldn't happen with a flat sheet of glass.

If you look carefully through the glass you'll see it's a person bending down. It took me a few seconds to make out what I was looking at. The arm outside the glass looks thicker than the arm through the glass. It could photoshopped but it could also be the refraction of the glass. Hard to tell.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #32 of 70

For those who said the picture is photo, ie the elbow and leg, look through the screen and you will see the rest of the person who is bent over and doing something to the pallet of displays glass . You can even see his face, I think people thought the reflection was the person holding the display glass. If you notice the person bending over is a guy and the person holding the display glass is a women (long nails).

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterfish View Post

But my thumb only goes from here to here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY4c2mh15Yk

I have to agree Apple heavily market the whole concept of one handed use, I seen people using those big displays from Samsung and it is a two handed operation, you have to have two hands on it for everything except looking at or talking on the phone.

Now maybe Apple figured out some unique way to allow a person work the larger display with one hand, we will have to wait and see.

post #33 of 70

One way Apple could allow for 4", 4.7", and 5.5" at the same time is if they all have the same aspect ratio.

It's also possible to accomplish this with sharp graphics on all displays with no extra developer work.

How?

Do what they do with Retina on OSX.

Starting with iOS 8, all iPhone apps will be "internally" rendered at "super-Retina" which will be double the horizontal and vertical resolution of current Retina (2xxx by 1xxx).

Then, at display time, this internal super-Retina representation is scaled down to the native resolution of the iPhone being used.

The flat look of iOS 7+ helps, because the use of bitmap graphics is now discouraged, apps should not need to ship with super large image assets. Textures are discouraged, and solid colour vectors are encouraged which fits perfectly with the needs of this new rendering method.

post #34 of 70
Quote:

That was my first thought, too. My next thought was, the size doesn't look that bad.

Hmm, do I want to carry a 5s and an iPad mini or just a 6? Decisions, decisions!
post #35 of 70
My question is if she's holding the phone and panel, how is she taking the photo? 1smile.gif
post #36 of 70
If that's 4.7" I don't want it. I'll still get it if that's the smallest screen for the new flagship. It looks huge, though. I'm hoping there will at least be a 4" new phone released alongside if this 4.7"/5.5" comes to fruition.
You can't spell appeal without Apple.
You can't spell appeal without Apple.
post #37 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

Quote:

The person belonging to the arm and leg is bending over.

Oh yeah, didn't see that. 1biggrin.gif

Ok, so no photoshopping but the holes still look wrong.
post #38 of 70
How did everybody miss the veritable pallet of similar front panels in the background (lower right hand side)?
post #39 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

My question is if she's holding the phone and panel, how is she taking the photo? 1smile.gif

Google Glass?
"If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything" Robert Zemeckis/Bob Gale/Robert_E._Lee
"If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything" Robert Zemeckis/Bob Gale/Robert_E._Lee
post #40 of 70
Based on that image that phone looks too big for my needs. The footprint is bigger but the rumours are that they will make it thinner thereby reducing the internal volume. If it's under 7mm it'll be about 6mm thinner than the thickest iPhone so perhaps that will work for one handed operation.
Edited by SolipsismX - 4/15/14 at 7:03am

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rumor: First photo of supposed 'iPhone 6' front panel surfaces