or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Closer look at alleged 'iPhone 6' front panel suggests 5.1" screen with 16:9 ratio
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Closer look at alleged 'iPhone 6' front panel suggests 5.1" screen with 16:9 ratio - Page 2

post #41 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvigod View Post
 

I agree with the Poll above. I believe we will see the small 4" iphone screens go the way of the buggy whip once the larger screens are on sale.

 

The 4" iPhone will be staying around. The only question is are they going to add one new size or two.

Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #42 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post
 

I do not believe these surveys, why, they are just people opinions of what they think they want. As Steve has always said and is true consumers do not know what they want. If they put an actually larger phone in these people hands and ask them to compare it to what they want and see if they would buy on the spot, I bet the results will tell you something different.

 

Even Google own date on the number of Android phones with larger displays is only about 15% of the population of Android devices. With Samsung and others all pushing larger displays why isn't this number a lot  higher then. Google's actual data is telling a different story than someone asking people if they want a bigger display. With all things being equal they probably want a bigger display, until they have to use it. Google's data is showing actual consumers usage and purchasing preference, Too many company lost their shirts building product base on consumers opinions verse where they actually spend their money.

 

 
  ldpi mdpi tvdpi hdpi xhdpi xxhdpi Total
Small 8.1%           8.1%
Normal   13.2%   33.7% 19.8% 12.5% 79.2%
Large 0.7% 4.4% 1.5% 0.6% 0.6%   7.8%
Xlarge 0.1% 4.2%   0.3% 0.3%   4.9%
Total 8.9% 21.8% 1.5% 34.6% 20.7% 12.5%

Data collected during a 7-day period ending on April 1, 014. 
Any screen configurations with less than 0.1% distribution are not shown.

 

 

Just saw the pict you added. What does that even mean? What is considered normal? What is large? what is small? I found this on Google developer.

 

  • xlarge screens are at least 960dp x 720dp. large screens are at least 640dp x 480dp. normal screens are at least 470dp x 320dp. small screens are at least 426dp x 320dp. (Android does not currently support screens smaller than this.)

I also found this:

 

In your chart normal was the most popular. But it would appear that normal includes around 3.5" to 5". There is also some overlap with small and large. Not sure your pict strengthened your case as much as you think. 

 

 

post #43 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post
 

 

Of course  a smaller percentage of Android users use larger screens since these phones tend to be far more expensive. In fact they are priced around the same as the iPhone. Most cellphone users in the world live in dirt poor countries and can only afford to buy dirt cheap sub $200 phones which tend to be smaller and in many cases run older versions of Android. Once there are larger phones under $200 I can promise you all those people will buy them over their smaller ones. It is not a preference for a smaller display it is a preference to eat dinner and not go homeless. 

 

By your logic when Apple releases a larger phone then you should respect their ability to tell you what you really want and buy a larger one since you were wrong in thinking 4" was a good size for you. 

Again look at Google's data the cheap ass phone would be on the left of the chart, lower res and smaller displays the higher res, high cost on the right, more users on that side of the chart. I do not believe Google's usage data take into consideration user who can barely feed themselves. As we know cheap Android phone user do not use the phone as intended so it probably not showing up in the data.

 

Also, anyone who does consumer purchasing preference will tell you, you can not trust consumers opinions, you have to give them a purchase trade off decision to really determine wants, needs and other things over them actually making the purchase. Consumers have the trade off with Android and the data shows when given the actually purchase decision it appears they choose what Google terms as normal size. 

post #44 of 134
Here is the new lineup (based on pure speculation, just like most rumors):

iPhone mini - 4"
iPhone Air - 4.7"
iPhone Pro - 5.5"
post #45 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

According to Kuo, Apple apparently plans to include a bezel-less design with the rumored 4.7-inch model to continue to allow one-handed use

 

I think I know what is going on. Samsung hired Kuo to seed wrong expectations...

And now everyone is upset that not even a fraction of a millimeter of a bezel was actually removed. This is just dumb scaled out version of iPhone-5.

I remember Cook was saying that Androind phablets are full of compromises. But this ugly monster just goes beyond that.

post #46 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

lol

But he's much finer proving people wrong. lol.gif

In defense of TS I've actually seen him admit he was wrong.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #47 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post
 

 

The 4" iPhone will be staying around. The only question is are they going to add one new size or two.

 

6 months ago I agreed with you but now I am more convinced that the 4" will only remain as the C type iPhone. The iPhone 6c will basically be the 5s in plastic will remain as 4" but I think the iPhone 6 will be offered only in larger size(s). There has not been one single leak about a new 4" design which is sort of strange. Not only that but Apple has no problem completing switching gears and letting go of a past design. Look at the transformation from the iPod nano 5th, 6th, and 7th generation. Or the new Mac Pro, or even the iPhone 5. They didn't continue to sell a new 3.5" version alongside the iPhone 5. They sold it as a cheaper (read end of life) type product. I think Apple wants to make a clean break and clearly differentiate their premium iPhone as larger and relegate the 4" to the same status the iPhone 4 and 4s held when the iPhone 5 was released. 

post #48 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post
 

 

Just saw the pict you added. What does that even mean? What is considered normal? What is large? what is small? I found this on Google developer.

 

  • xlarge screens are at least 960dp x 720dp. large screens are at least 640dp x 480dp. normal screens are at least 470dp x 320dp. small screens are at least 426dp x 320dp. (Android does not currently support screens smaller than this.)

I also found this:

 

In your chart normal was the most popular. But it would appear that normal includes around 3.5" to 5". There is also some overlap with small and large. Not sure your pict strengthened your case as much as you think. 

 

 

Actually I would say that the Google data is saying normal is in the 3.5 to 4.5 range and what when people say larger they looking at the 5 to 7 inch range. so 80 of Android user are in the normal range, and only 7% are in the 5 to 7 range. Most of them are in the low res end so cheap big displays.

 

I got back to the fact Android consumers have chooses and lots of them, This is the complaint about apple, you any have anything you want from apple as long as it what apple is giving you so no really choose, they figure it out for you. On the other hand Android consumers can have what they want, but seem to only buy what they claim they do not want.

 

I am not saying apple will not be able to sell lots of larger display (4.7") but we will not know what until the consumer actually has the choose. The question we all do not know the answer to is what consumers on the android side choose normal size phones over larger and if Apple has figure that out and address the issues which will allow them to sell more and see if Samsung copies them again.

post #49 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post
 

Actually I would say that the Google data is saying normal is in the 3.5 to 4.5 range and what when people say larger they looking at the 5 to 7 inch range. so 80 of Android user are in the normal range, and only 7% are in the 5 to 7 range. Most of them are in the low res end so cheap big displays.

 

I got back to the fact Android consumers have chooses and lots of them, This is the complaint about apple, you any have anything you want from apple as long as it what apple is giving you so no really choose, they figure it out for you. On the other hand Android consumers can have what they want, but seem to only buy what they claim they do not want.

 

I am not saying apple will not be able to sell lots of larger display (4.7") but we will not know what until the consumer actually has the choose. The question we all do not know the answer to is what consumers on the android side choose normal size phones over larger and if Apple has figure that out and address the issues which will allow them to sell more and see if Samsung copies them again.

 

To me it looks a lot closer to 4.8" to 5" than 4.5". And even if you are correct about 4.5" what if 90% of them have 4.5" which is still larger than the iPhone 5s. I think we can agree the chart is hard to actually get a clear picture with the overlap. We will find out who was right in the not so distant future. I honestly just can't imagine too many people choosing a 4" over a 4.7" iPhone 6. display size. Apple did their best to convince me 4" was the perfect size and they failed. I use my 5s with two hands and in landscape more often than one handed or vertical.  I still want a larger display and I think I am far from alone. You failed to account for the possibly huge number of iPhone users who bought an iPhone for the hardware and iOS ecosystem but who crave a larger display. These people will only buy a 4" iPhone for so long before out of frustration they go with Android and Tim understand that. 


Edited by gwmac - 4/15/14 at 10:48am
post #50 of 134

If the screen is 4.7" diagonal that means it will be a 4.1" x 2.3" panel. If Apple doubles the current resolution of the iPhone 5s to 2272 x 1280 for the iPhone 6 it would make the display 555ppi. Those seem like good numbers for Apple's new flagship phone that won't require any changes other than @2x for all app assets, just as they did previously when they doubled the resolution. Plus, given Apple's love of "pretty" numbers 555ppi is a great number.

post #51 of 134
I'd like a 4.1-4.2 screen. One that fits on a phone the size of the current iPhone. Not bigger. This 4.7 model already looks too big to me. I just want a slightly wider screen. My Nexus S had a perfect width.
About that pool, I think people can't judge until they hold the device in their hands, so I'll wait to pass judgement. After all, Apple products are meant to be touched and felt.
post #52 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Just saw the pict you added. What does that even mean? What is considered normal? What is large? what is small? I found this on Google developer.

  • xlarge screens are at least 960dp x 720dp. large screens are at least 640dp x 480dp. normal screens are at least 470dp x 320dp. small screens are at least 426dp x 320dp. (Android does not currently support screens smaller than this.)



I also found this:






 



In your chart normal was the most popular. But it would appear that normal includes around 3.5" to 5". There is also some overlap with small and large. Not sure your pict strengthened your case as much as you think. 




 



Can't you even read the page? Normal, large, etc... have nothing to do with resolution.
post #53 of 134
Darn, I was honestly looking forward to a bezel-less iPhone. Oh well...
post #54 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post
 

 

To me it looks a lot closer to 5" than 4.5". I think we can agree the chart is hard to actually get a clear picture with the overlap. We will find out who was right in the not so distant future. I honestly just can't imagine too many people choosing a 4" over a 4.7" iPhone 6. display size. 

Well I seen this chart before, and Google is playing games with it, honestly you can not have overlaps like they did, either it is normal or large can not be in both camps at the same time. Ask your self why google did not put in the 3 and 5  and 6 on the chart, It a game they are playing to make people do what you did which was to read into what you wanted it to say. 

 

I am not 100% sure but phones when reporting information about screen size does not say the actually physical size but they report the DPI and google is making some assumption about the physical size of the phone thus the reason for the over lap. When Google showed this data in the past it was clear that the largest majority of the consumers with Android phones was in the 4 and less range.

 

I will tell you I used all size of phone and recently play with the Samsung Galaxy phone with bigger display is it not easy to use, It does not fit well in the front pocket of dress pants and forget about tight jeans, it does not fit well in a shirt pocket if you bend over too quickly it come flying out of your pocket. just forget about put it in your back pocket. What you have to remember is where does the phone spend most of its time, in your pockets. Now I notice and talk to women who like the and use the bigger phones, but they put the phone in their purse so they do not care how big it is. But young girls generally do not carry purse as much.

 

My phone now is 4.3, it about the right size and work well, I do wish it was a little bigger so reading emails was easier. However, I have not found a phone which was bigger than 4.3 which does not have other issues. I would said it not the width of the phone that become the problem it is the length that you run into issue before the width gets too wide.

post #55 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

I'd like a 4.1-4.2 screen. One that fits on a phone the size of the current iPhone. Not bigger. This 4.7 model already looks too big to me. I just want a slightly wider screen. My Nexus S had a perfect width.
About that pool, I think people can't judge until they hold the device in their hands, so I'll wait to pass judgement. After all, Apple products are meant to be touched and felt.

What everybody is missing -- is that Apple highest-profit SKUs are iPhone and iPad cases ... By changing the sizes of the iDevice, Apple forces you to buy a new iDevice case (last year's just won't do) 1smoking.gif
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #56 of 134
Get rid of the bezels!!!! At least on the side of the phone. This will improve on size and looks
post #57 of 134
Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post


Can't you even read the page? Normal, large, etc... have nothing to do with resolution.

 I certainly can but not so sure about you. Where did I say it had anything to do with resolution? I was simply pointing out that Google is very loose with these terms and charts  and do not give a specific breakdown for example 45% are using 4.5", 38.2% 4", etc.. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post
 

Well I seen this chart before, and Google is playing games with it, honestly you can not have overlaps like they did, either it is normal or large can not be in both camps at the same time. Ask your self why google did not put in the 3 and 5  and 6 on the chart, It a game they are playing to make people do what you did which was to read into what you wanted it to say. 

 

I am not 100% sure but phones when reporting information about screen size does not say the actually physical size but they report the DPI and google is making some assumption about the physical size of the phone thus the reason for the over lap. When Google showed this data in the past it was clear that the largest majority of the consumers with Android phones was in the 4 and less range.

 

I will tell you I used all size of phone and recently play with the Samsung Galaxy phone with bigger display is it not easy to use, It does not fit well in the front pocket of dress pants and forget about tight jeans, it does not fit well in a shirt pocket if you bend over too quickly it come flying out of your pocket. just forget about put it in your back pocket. What you have to remember is where does the phone spend most of its time, in your pockets. Now I notice and talk to women who like the and use the bigger phones, but they put the phone in their purse so they do not care how big it is. But young girls generally do not carry purse as much.

 

My phone now is 4.3, it about the right size and work well, I do wish it was a little bigger so reading emails was easier. However, I have not found a phone which was bigger than 4.3 which does not have other issues. I would said it not the width of the phone that become the problem it is the length that you run into issue before the width gets too wide.

I have an iPhone 5s. My family and friends have mostly Android phones, a few Galaxy S3 and 4's, and even a few HTC One's. I have been able to hold and use their phones for short periods of time and also did the pocket test. They all fit perfectly fine in my pant pocket. I can't imagine anyone regardless of phone size would ever use their back pocket. If you wear a suit then the jacket pocket is also plenty large enough to accommodate large phones. I also carry a briefcase or a backpack most times which is where I tend to carry my iPhone. Even when I go out on the town in casual clothes I sometimes carry a small backpack which is a lot more common for men these days especially younger guys. Women aren't the only ones who have stuff to carry around after all. My point is that after using those Android phones with their big bright displays it is a big shock to see how small text and videos and everything appears on my 5s. I freely admit that if I had 20/20 eyesight I probably would not be complaining but I don't and neither does most of the world. My vision is such that I do not need glasses to read only for distance but at the same time cannot focus clearly at less than about 6" from my eyes. The larger displays on those Android phones really made all the difference in the world to me and was like viewing a HD TV for the first time if that makes sense. 

post #58 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleabuser View Post

Here is the new lineup (based on pure speculation, just like most rumors):

iPhone mini - 4"
iPhone Air - 4.7"
iPhone Pro - 5.5"

 

iPhone - 4"
iPhone Pro - 4.7"
iPhone Air... head - 5.5"

Hmmmmmm...
Reply
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
post #59 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashFan207 View Post

Darn, I was honestly looking forward to a bezel-less iPhone. Oh well...
What gave you the impression the next iPhone would have no bezels?
post #60 of 134
Too big for a phone. Apple have been wholly consistent in their mantra of function being the driving force behind design change. My bet would be on Apple maxing out one handed phone operation with a slightly larger screen offset against smaller bezels and a more hand friendly shape on the sides. What if the larger screen device wasn't a phone at all (and therefore not breaking their phone usability mantra) but an updated iPod Touch designed for two hand use, mostly but not uniquely for games. Would also be great for internet content and for those who primarily use their handheld for messaging. Would be good for that surprisingly large group who hardly make a call on their phones, chat away all day, feel big is best, or/and want the smallest whilst still usable internet consumer (much as I love my 5S, trying to book a flight on it was painful last night).
post #61 of 134

Did anyone report missing an arm and leg? Found the loose body parts at the bottom right part of the picture. 

post #62 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvigod View Post

Larger iphone is 3 years overdue. They should have been AHEAD of samsung and the other mfg's with this trend. Not years behind as a slow follower. Sad to see what Apple has become under Cook

 

The first 5 generations of the iPhone under Steve Jobs (ie. every single generation) was the exact same size. The first iPhone developed under Cook was larger (iPhone 5). GTFO with your FUD. There isn't an iota of evidence that under Jobs a massive phone would have come out sooner. Not an iota. The iPhone is still the best selling smartphone on the planet- what does that tell you about this "trend"? Also, "size" has nothing to do with being ahead or behind. It's a design choice. Apple doesn't give a **** about trends.

post #63 of 134
Johnny IVes been phoning it in for a while. The material here looks plastic. Produce a giant 5C and the queen will personally fly over & take away the knighthood. Or whatever he has.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #64 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Johnny IVes been phoning it in for a while. The material here looks plastic. Produce a giant 5C and the queen will personally fly over & take away the knighthood. Or whatever he has.

 

Produce a giant 5c and he'll need his manhood taken away.

Hmmmmmm...
Reply
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
post #65 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

6 months ago I agreed with you but now I am more convinced that the 4" will only remain as the C type iPhone. The iPhone 6c will basically be the 5s in plastic will remain as 4" but I think the iPhone 6 will be offered only in larger size(s). There has not been one single leak about a new 4" design which is sort of strange. Not only that but Apple has no problem completing switching gears and letting go of a past design. Look at the transformation from the iPod nano 5th, 6th, and 7th generation. Or the new Mac Pro, or even the iPhone 5. They didn't continue to sell a new 3.5" version alongside the iPhone 5. They sold it as a cheaper (read end of life) type product. I think Apple wants to make a clean break and clearly differentiate their premium iPhone as larger and relegate the 4" to the same status the iPhone 4 and 4s held when the iPhone 5 was released. 

That's probably true. Though, the naming will be interesting. So what will we have? A "small" larger phone, and a "large" larger phone. But will they call the larger model an iPhone, or something else? And will the new version of the 5C be called the "6" something or other? A 6c perhaps?

I'm having more fun trying to figure out how they will name these things than anything else about them. Though personally, I'm going to get the 4.7" model.
post #66 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

Actually I would say that the Google data is saying normal is in the 3.5 to 4.5 range and what when people say larger they looking at the 5 to 7 inch range. so 80 of Android user are in the normal range, and only 7% are in the 5 to 7 range. Most of them are in the low res end so cheap big displays.

I got back to the fact Android consumers have chooses and lots of them, This is the complaint about apple, you any have anything you want from apple as long as it what apple is giving you so no really choose, they figure it out for you. On the other hand Android consumers can have what they want, but seem to only buy what they claim they do not want.

I am not saying apple will not be able to sell lots of larger display (4.7") but we will not know what until the consumer actually has the choose. The question we all do not know the answer to is what consumers on the android side choose normal size phones over larger and if Apple has figure that out and address the issues which will allow them to sell more and see if Samsung copies them again.

I think the 4.7" model will sell very well indeed. I know a lot of people, who have told me that they will get the next iPhone if it's about that size. Some people have mover to Android because we're all older, and it's easier for them to use. But they will come back for a larger iPhone. I do have one guy who went to a larger Android phone, but was disgusted, and came back.

The 5.5", or whatever it will be, will get a smaller number of people. But I do know people who have those phablets, and they like them because they are convinced that they are as good as a small tablet.
post #67 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post


iPhone Air... head - 5.5"

Airhead. I like that.
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
post #68 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

Get rid of the bezels!!!! At least on the side of the phone. This will improve on size and looks

You can bet that if it were easy to get rid of them, then everyone should have already done that. But the screens have circuits on those edges, and so it's impossible to get rid of those. One small screen manufacturer had shown an edge less screen, that is, almost edge less, but I've never heard of it being in high production.

So, progress is being made, but we're not there yet.
post #69 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

 I certainly can but not so sure about you. Where did I say it had anything to do with resolution? I was simply pointing out that Google is very loose with these terms and charts  and do not give a specific breakdown for example 45% are using 4.5", 38.2% 4", etc.. 
I have an iPhone 5s. My family and friends have mostly Android phones, a few Galaxy S3 and 4's, and even a few HTC One's. I have been able to hold and use their phones for short periods of time and also did the pocket test. They all fit perfectly fine in my pant pocket. I can't imagine anyone regardless of phone size would ever use their back pocket. If you wear a suit then the jacket pocket is also plenty large enough to accommodate large phones. I also carry a briefcase or a backpack most times which is where I tend to carry my iPhone. Even when I go out on the town in casual clothes I sometimes carry a small backpack which is a lot more common for men these days especially younger guys. Women aren't the only ones who have stuff to carry around after all. My point is that after using those Android phones with their big bright displays it is a big shock to see how small text and videos and everything appears on my 5s. I freely admit that if I had 20/20 eyesight I probably would not be complaining but I don't and neither does most of the world. My vision is such that I do not need glasses to read only for distance but at the same time cannot focus clearly at less than about 6" from my eyes. The larger displays on those Android phones really made all the difference in the world to me and was like viewing a HD TV for the first time if that makes sense. 
Girls, particularly young ones, put their phones in their back jeans pocket. How they don't break them is something I don't understand, but they do do it.
post #70 of 134
Originally Posted by melgross View Post
Girls, particularly young ones, put their phones in their back jeans pocket. How they don't break them is something I don't understand, but they do do it.

 

I’ve never understood back pockets, myself. Then again, I don’t have much of a butt, so maybe other people have the personal cushion needed to actually put something there without discomfort.

post #71 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Girls, particularly young ones, put their phones in their back jeans pocket. How they don't break them is something I don't understand, but they do do it.
Um why are you looking at the back pants pockets of young girls? 1smile.gif

Still I hope Apple keeps the 4" and add the "plus" model at < 5". I still think >5" for a phone is absurd.
post #72 of 134
Is anyone else interested in a smaller iPhone? Something really easy to put in your pocket, hardened against keys, water resistant and not as slippery so no cover is needed? I find that even the iPhone 4 is too big to be comfortable in my pocket.
post #73 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post


Girls, particularly young ones, put their phones in their back jeans pocket. How they don't break them is something I don't understand, but they do do it.

yep, but my daughter is on her 3rd iphone 4 display, and her jeans and friend jeans you can see the worn outline of the phone on their back pockets.

 

Also the issue with putting the phone in the pocket is not an issue when standing, it comes down to sitting and the long phones dig in especially in the front pocket and most people do not put a phone in a backpack, why, they learn real fast the phone gets lifted very easily. I hear of more phone getting stolen out of a backpack or purse, so it is better to keep it on your person.


Edited by Maestro64 - 4/15/14 at 1:36pm
post #74 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

 I certainly can but not so sure about you. Where did I say it had anything to do with resolution? I was simply pointing out that Google is very loose with these terms and charts  and do not give a specific breakdown for example 45% are using 4.5", 38.2% 4", etc.. 
I have an iPhone 5s. My family and friends have mostly Android phones, a few Galaxy S3 and 4's, and even a few HTC One's. I have been able to hold and use their phones for short periods of time and also did the pocket test. They all fit perfectly fine in my pant pocket. I can't imagine anyone regardless of phone size would ever use their back pocket. If you wear a suit then the jacket pocket is also plenty large enough to accommodate large phones. I also carry a briefcase or a backpack most times which is where I tend to carry my iPhone. Even when I go out on the town in casual clothes I sometimes carry a small backpack which is a lot more common for men these days especially younger guys. Women aren't the only ones who have stuff to carry around after all. My point is that after using those Android phones with their big bright displays it is a big shock to see how small text and videos and everything appears on my 5s. I freely admit that if I had 20/20 eyesight I probably would not be complaining but I don't and neither does most of the world. My vision is such that I do not need glasses to read only for distance but at the same time cannot focus clearly at less than about 6" from my eyes. The larger displays on those Android phones really made all the difference in the world to me and was like viewing a HD TV for the first time if that makes sense. 
Girls, particularly young ones, put their phones in their back jeans pocket. How they don't break them is something I don't understand, but they do do it.

My granddaughter does that with no problems -- I think it's a matter of padding (in the jeans) 1biggrin.gif
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #75 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Quote:
Girls, particularly young ones, put their phones in their back jeans pocket. How they don't break them is something I don't understand, but they do do it.

I’ve never understood back pockets, myself. Then again, I don’t have much of a butt, so maybe other people have the personal cushion needed to actually put something there without discomfort.

My dear, late Mama told me that the world is made up of 2 kinds of people -- needle-butts and bubble butts ...

You and I (and most guys) are needle-butts!
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #76 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Johnny IVes been phoning it in for a while. The material here looks plastic. Produce a giant 5C and the queen will personally fly over & take away the knighthood. Or whatever he has.
It looks just like my 5S screen only bigger. Where are you getting plastic from?
post #77 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by DipDog3 View Post
 

 

Here's a better [angled] picture. Try that measurement again. It is clearly 4.7"

 

Seems you are correct.  On my screen (on my MacBook Air with the display zoomed a bit) I can do a crude measurement with a tape measure.  Hey, I said it was a crude measurement.  The screen on the left measured 2 5/8" (2.625") and the one on the right measured 3".  Doing the math, the screen on the right would be about 14-15% longer on the diagonal.  14-15% more than 4" is 4.6"isn, which is closer to 4.7".

I don't care about what the ignorant masses perceive as truth. I'm concerned with the facts on the ground.
Reply
I don't care about what the ignorant masses perceive as truth. I'm concerned with the facts on the ground.
Reply
post #78 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvigod View Post

Larger iphone is 3 years overdue. They should have been AHEAD of samsung and the other mfg's with this trend. Not years behind as a slow follower. Sad to see what Apple has become under Cook

 

Apple needs, or, more accurately, takes advantage of, Samsung, the Android ecosystem, and, to a lesser extent Microsoft/Nokia and the Windows model, to reflect Apple's constantly changing state in a coevolutionary dance where Apple's adversaries are forced to test the waters of new forms that might be viable but are not yet profitable.  This is currently represented in the many different screen sizes offered by the competition but has played out at other times, both large and small.
 
Apple allowed others to jump aboard the 4G buildout, jumping aboard itself only when 4G stabilized around the LTE standard.  Others spent evolutionary cycles in efforts akin to purchasing pre-construction from an insolvent builder.  Once the world coalesced around a stable set of standards with critical mass that ensured uptake and lowered costs for all players, Apple added 4G support in their products.
 
Apple allowed others to experiment with smaller tablet form factors, while criticizing the whole notion.  Once the competition proved the viability of a market, Apple took action, entering with a strong offering that supported Apple's existing app ecosystem, provided a larger display than the competing small tablets, and maintained the full-size iPad's more practical aspect ratio.
 
Apple allowed others to experiment with larger smartphone displays.  The introduction of the iPhone 5 borrowed from what Apple learned and changed the aspect ratio to the 16:9 aspect ratio utilized in HD video and shown as successful in many of the existing large screen smartphones.  This also allowed Apple to increase the size of the display in a nod to the greater utility of a larger display, while maintaining the width of the handset that allows effective single-handed use and trumpeting this over the competition.  Apple has a habit of downplaying the competition’s advantages before co-opting them.  
 
In zero-sum games you always try to hide your strategy.  But in nonzero-sum games you might want to announce your strategy in public so the other players need to adapt to it.
 
Is Apple playing a zero-sum game against Samsung?  Not quite.  Apple selectively allows other players in on its plans, and it clearly cannot hide what it's been doing once it introduces a new iPhone or iPad.  Apple lets the competition know certain information ahead of time.  For example, who doesn't know that a new iPhone will be introduced in September?  By being consistent in its iPhone release schedule, Apple influences Samsung.  Samsung knows its semiconductor/displays/memory sales will get a surge in revenues coincident with Apple's release, and it knows to set its own annual release far enough offset in the calendar with Apple's to allow itself time to mimic any new capabilities it wants from each new iPhone introduction.  Apple takes advantage by keeping Samsung hooked on iPhone component revenues, just enough and only until Apple no longer needs Sammy in this respect, and also takes advantage by picking the better date on the calendar for its iPhone and iPad refreshes.  Coevolution among these two competitors allows Apple to both choose the music and lead the dance.
I don't care about what the ignorant masses perceive as truth. I'm concerned with the facts on the ground.
Reply
I don't care about what the ignorant masses perceive as truth. I'm concerned with the facts on the ground.
Reply
post #79 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post
 

 

Excellent illustration.  This shows the screen with be the 1334x750 4.7" display predicted by Kuo.  It provides one more row and one more column of app icons on the home screen.  The 32 pixel space between icons in each row will be shrunk to 25 pixels, but there's room for anther entire row with current 60 pixel spacing between each row (that spacing is larger than the 32 pixel column spacing to allow room for the icon labels).  

I don't care about what the ignorant masses perceive as truth. I'm concerned with the facts on the ground.
Reply
I don't care about what the ignorant masses perceive as truth. I'm concerned with the facts on the ground.
Reply
post #80 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

I hear this a lot on this forum. People think if Apple releases a 4" and a larger phone that the 4" would be the bigger seller. What I want to know is what do you base this on? In every online poll I have seen in the last two years the larger sizes were an overwhelming majority. And in polls asking between a 4.7" and 5.5" the larger one was winning in all the polls I saw. People that want to keep 4" were only around 10% to the highest I saw at 28%. Many of these polls also have thousands of respondents. I realize polls can be skewed or inaccurate but can all of them be wrong? Anecdotally every single person I know with an iPhone wants a larger display including me. Not one single iPhone owner I know said they are happy with 4".  So please enlighten me on your rationale for thinking a 4" iPhone would outsell a product when all evidence seem to suggest the opposite. This is beginning to remind me of republicans dismissing polling data in the last presidential election.

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2014/01/21/poll-iphone-6-screen-size/
http://www.businessinsider.com/poll-would-you-buy-an-iphone-with-a-bigger-screen-2013-1
http://pocketnow.com/2013/11/27/iphone-6-size

http://bgr.com/2013/11/11/iphone-6-poll-purchase-intent/Doubt it and the 4.5 inch should be measured.



Obviously a 5 inch is too big, 4 inch is much closer than right, if it's more than 4.7 I do see apple losing 10%-40% of current buyers, of course bringing 10% in, but would be loss.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Closer look at alleged 'iPhone 6' front panel suggests 5.1" screen with 16:9 ratio
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Closer look at alleged 'iPhone 6' front panel suggests 5.1" screen with 16:9 ratio