or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple launches smaller-capacity 8GB iPhone 5c in Italy, Sweden, Netherlands, Czech Republic, more

Apple launches smaller-capacity 8GB iPhone 5c in Italy, Sweden, Netherlands, Czech Republic, more - Page 3

post #81 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezhik View Post

Would you pay $800 for an 8 gigabyte phone?

Your error is thinking that the storage capacity is the only worthwhile factor in determining the value of smartphone. But to answer your question, no, I wouldn't pay $800 for an 8GB iPhone… because I'd spend $100 more for the 16GB model.

The 16GB 5c is a mere €50 more over here in The Netherlands. And yes, that includes tax. If the point he was trying to make is that the conversion rate is ridiculous that take a peek at the nMP: that costs €3049 over here which translates to $4049 (or something like that). Still, people, not him, forget the State Tax US prices are subject to.

Personally, if I were in market for that 5c I'd get the 16GB model for €599. Or better yet, wait 6 more months for a new iPhone. But that's just me.
post #82 of 102

If Apple manages to make 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

The 16GB 5c is a mere €50 more over here in The Netherlands. And yes, that includes tax. If the point he was trying to make is that the conversion rate is ridiculous that take a peek at the nMP: that costs €3049 over here which translates to $4049 (or something like that). Still, people, not him, forget the State Tax US prices are subject to.

Personally, if I were in market for that 5c I'd get the 16GB model for €599. Or better yet, wait 6 more months for a new iPhone. But that's just me.

Not all states in the U.S. have state sales tax. I think 4 or 5 still have none. Also rates can vary a great deal from around 4% to around 9% or even more in other states. But certainly nothing close to 20% like the VAT in Europe.

As I posted earlier you can also buy a 16GB iPhone 5c off contract much cheaper. Here is a pict of the prices. These are not with a contract either. This is off contract prices

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. 

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. 

post #83 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

^ post

Thank you for that post. I know of the varying state tax, but had no idea (Virgin) iPhones were this cheap off contract. I paid €899 for my last 64GB iPhone. That would be way higher if I were to live in the States. Hmm, another reason to move over there, should I be able to get a green card.
post #84 of 102

An 8 GB (an 8 GB phone in 2014!) iPhone 5c costs 579 euros, which converts to 800 dollars.

A 16 GB iPhone 5costs $649. Of course, you need to add sales tax to that. Let's make that 25% - surely enough to cover whatever taxes it gets and the added shipping costs from China to Europe. You get 811 dollars. 

So yeah. It is an insane price, even for an Apple product.

It's interesting that you use the most expensive price of the Eurozone Apple online stores, the italian one at €579, and that price includes the italian sales tax of €107.  The other Eurozone Apple online stores are priced at €549 with the exception of France, €559 and Luxembourg, €521.  Each has varying levels of respective sales tax included in the price, from  88 to 110 euros.

The iPhone 8GB 5c won't be 800 dollars in the USA as the USA won't be charging 107 euros of italian sales tax.

post #85 of 102
Considering that the 32 GB 5c in the US is $649, and the 16 GB is $549, let's logically assume that the 8 GB will be 449$. 

$800 would mean that there's almost 80% of markup.

But if you look at some other phones, the math just does not check out.

Galaxy S5 is $700 in the US and $970 in Italy - that comes out to 40%.

HTC One M8 is the same in the US and a bit more expensive in Italy - $1000. But that still comes out to about 43%.

SIM Free 16GB 5c in the USA without sales tax: $549

same phone in italy without sales tax: €629 - €115 tax

= €514 = US $710

markup on 5c sold in Italy = 710-549 = 161 dollars

percentage markup on USA price = 161/549 x 100

= 29%

post #86 of 102

Pricing & screen size are the 2 biggest issues for Apple at the moment, IMO.]

In Canada, you can get a Galaxy S4 for less than $100 on a 2yr contract when the iPhone 5c 16gb is $128.99.  The fact that the S4 is plastic, packed full of useless features and options is irrelevant to a lot of people. They see bigger screen, more mega pixels and less money and the decision is made. 

Apple's ecosystem is also more costly compared to Googles. Way more free apps in the Play store and people know that.  The quality of the app is not relevant to most people I talk to, plus a lot of the 'best' apps are very similar across iOS and Android now.  The gap has closed.

Malware and other security issues seem to be irrelevant to users of Android devices, as well.

I love Apple and have no plans to switch to Android but I can see the momentum changing.  Last year at this time I seen predominantly iPhones when I was out on the town.  Now I am seeing a pretty even split bw iPhone and Galaxy's. 

I am starting to feel that Apple has fallen behind the curve in terms of what people want.  And an 8GB iPhone 5c is not gonna change that.

post #87 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

If we can't even get people to consider user experience differences I don't think we'll get people to consider resale value. Especially here in the US where people believe the cost of the handset is cheap because of the subsidization.

Point taken.

It just baffles me that some are so concerned/angry about the cost but don't do simple math by looking at the total cost of ownership.

I'm of the opinion that anyone who wants to post a price comparison should be REQUIRED to include the market's resale value of each device... it's as important as the device's features, convenience, and platform because along with resale value, it all adds up to the WORTH of the device.

post #88 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahhet2 View Post

While We are at it, Why not make 4GB phone, anyway it is not for you and you don't have to buy one or use one. You just have to relax. It is for certain people Hint: not everybody is like you, It's for people, who can pay $50 less then what 8GB costs. /

Sure why not❓If there is a market for it people will buy it.
post #89 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarker99 View Post

In Canada, you can get a Galaxy S4 for less than $100 on a 2yr contract when the iPhone 5c 16gb is $128.99.  The fact that the S4 is plastic, packed full of useless features and options is irrelevant to a lot of people. They see bigger screen, more mega pixels and less money and the decision is made. 

Apple's ecosystem is also more costly compared to Googles. Way more free apps in the Play store and people know that.  The quality of the app is not relevant to most people I talk to, plus a lot of the 'best' apps are very similar across iOS and Android now.  The gap has closed.

Malware and other security issues seem to be irrelevant to users of Android devices, as well.

I love Apple and have no plans to switch to Android but I can see the momentum changing.  Last year at this time I seen predominantly iPhones when I was out on the town.  Now I am seeing a pretty even split bw iPhone and Galaxy's. 

I am starting to feel that Apple has fallen behind the curve in terms of what people want.  And an 8GB iPhone 5c is not gonna change that.

I see people I know using iPhones for the first time.
post #90 of 102

There are definitely people who are fine with an 8 Gig iPhone.

The people who are willing to pay this price are not those people.

post #91 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Bwwwuh? The 5c was declared a complete epic fail. Why is Apple debuting this thing in numerous countries?

Clearly because Apple want to go out of business as soon as possible. /s

iPad a Dream.
iPad a Dream.
post #92 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

So expensive. The pricing situation on iPhones is not right right now IMO.

When they introduced the 8 GB 5c I think the should have killed both the 4s and the 32 GB 5c, and rearranged pricing. That's my opinion.

I really think they should adjust the pricing of iPhones to this:

4s 8 GB = EOL

5c 8 GB = €399

5c 16 GB = €499

5s 16 GB €599

5s 32 GB €699

5s 64 GB €799

I'm afraid Apple will always be more expensive in Ireland, Ireland. That's what come from living on such a small island.

iPad a Dream.
iPad a Dream.
post #93 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

I can't believe Apple is selling an 8 GB iPhone in 2014. This is not the way to make users happy and satisfied. Who wants a crippled iPhone that can't do much due to its limited memory? This cheapo phone cheapens Apple's premium brand.

This is like when Krispy Kreme started selling bad tasting stale donuts at supermarkets.

Apple isn't in the business of making users happy and satisfied. They're in the business of making them surprised and delighted.

iPad a Dream.
iPad a Dream.
post #94 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Basically its for people who will basically use the phone as a feature phone because otherwise its pretty much useless. Basically all you'll be able to do is browse the internet, get email, chat and talk on it. Everything else is pretty much a no because you'll run out of storage in a heartbeat. 

Basically your post is wrong.

iPad a Dream.
iPad a Dream.
post #95 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodbine View Post

still too expensive.

You're too cheap.

iPad a Dream.
iPad a Dream.
post #96 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodbine View Post

still too expensive.

You're too cheap.

Quote:

That's an insane price for an 8 GB smartphone.

Insanely good; you're right.

iPad a Dream.
iPad a Dream.
post #97 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonteponte View Post

It's definately not useless. I have used a 8Gb iPhone 4 for the last two years. I keep the essential apps on there and keep offline media files off it and I have had a great experience. Music is streaming (Spotify) and I offload photos to my MacMini when space is tight. The only thing I really need the space for is downloading podcasts but that can also be easily managed by syncing on wireless and deleting old stuff from the phone. The only thing I usually cannot do is filming more than short clips. As long as you keep media off the phone it will be just as quick and usable as one with more memory. If it is worth the savings though is debatable.

I'm just about to go home and activate my own new iPhone 5c (32Gb). Looking forward to the speed increase and new features! My iPhone 4 has served me incredibly well so far though and I have been very happy with it. Especially after the 7.1 upgrade.

A well-reasoned post! Enjoy your new iPhone 5c.

iPad a Dream.
iPad a Dream.
post #98 of 102
Quote:

Please tell me, what makes it worth paying EIGHT HUNDRED DOLLARS for a MID RANGE phone? I see no logical reason for it. The "Apple tax" excuse can only go so far.

It's a TOP OF THE RANGE phone and you're a TROLL. GO AWAY.

Edited by Benjamin Frost - 4/17/14 at 11:24am
iPad a Dream.
iPad a Dream.
post #99 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarker99 View Post

Please switch to Android.

iPad a Dream.
iPad a Dream.
post #100 of 102

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Clearly because Apple want to go out of business as soon as possible. /s

Apple isn't in the business of making users happy and satisfied. They're in the business of making them surprised and delighted.

Basically your post is wrong.

Quote:

You're too cheap.

You're too cheap.

Insanely good; you're right.

A well-reasoned post! Enjoy your new iPhone 5c.

It's a TOP OF THE RANGE phone and you're a TROLL. GO AWAY.

Please switch to Android.

TS, is that you?

post #101 of 102
They're more expensive in the UK.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #102 of 102
Originally Posted by drewys808 View Post

TS, is that you?

I’ll claim similarity on the second one and second to last one. :p

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple launches smaller-capacity 8GB iPhone 5c in Italy, Sweden, Netherlands, Czech Republic, more
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple launches smaller-capacity 8GB iPhone 5c in Italy, Sweden, Netherlands, Czech Republic, more