or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Marissa Mayer wants Apple to ditch Google for Yahoo! as default iOS search engine

Marissa Mayer wants Apple to ditch Google for Yahoo! as default iOS search engine

post #1 of 173
Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer is reportedly working on a plan to convince Apple to change the default iOS search engine from Google to a new Yahoo solution, which could deal a significant blow to Google's ad income.

Marissa Mayer

Citing unnamed sources, Re/code reports Mayer and Yahoo SVP of mobile Adam Cahan are "aggressively" working to increase revenue with a pair of search-related projects. Most important, sources say, is a search engine and monetization platform that would harness Apple's vast user iPhone and iPad user base by usurping Google as iOS' default search engine.

"This is the aim of the whole effort here, to grab the pole position in iOS search," said one source who is reportedly working on the project. "It will take more than pretty pictures though to convince Apple to give up Google, given its focus on consumer experience being top-notch. But Marissa wants it very badly."

Google search has for quite some time been the default search engine in iOS and powers Safari, while Microsoft's Bing now drives Siri. Apple's decision to stick with Google's services is in part due to a familiar user experience. Google also pays Apple some $1 billion per year for traffic driven to its servers and subsequent ad network.

As noted by the publication, Yahoo has in the past attempted to build out its search engine and ad technology offerings, but those swings have largely missed. Mayer's renewed effort is said to be in advanced stages, with a detailed overview and images already prepared for pitching Apple executives. Mayer has supposedly wrangled support from a few Apple execs including longtime acquaintance Jony Ive.

With the latest iOS revisions, Apple has included Yahoo's data into an increasing number of apps and services. Most apparent is the Weather app, though iOS also calls on Yahoo for sports scores and other information.

Currently, iPhone and iPad users can switch to Yahoo's existing service or Bing via the iOS Settings app or when activating a new device.
post #2 of 173
She's pretty.
post #3 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhayes View Post

She's pretty.

She's pretty smart, too.

I have enough money to last the rest of my life. Unless I buy something. - Jackie Mason
Never own anything that poops. - RadarTheKat
I have enough money to last the rest of my life. Unless I buy something. - Jackie Mason
Never own anything that poops. - RadarTheKat
post #4 of 173

I'd do it. The less Google infests my iOS devices the better imo.

post #5 of 173

Do it!

I actually own a tiny bit of Yahoo stock, and yesterday was a damn good day for Yhoo!

post #6 of 173

Now why the hell would anyone trust her search engine after she picked that ugly, backwards logo? 0_o

post #7 of 173

They could do it but most people would switch back to Google. All it takes is one simple click in Safari settings so then Google would still get most iOS users but wouldn't have to pay Apple a billion a year. Not a good move

post #8 of 173
That's what I call an ex-lover's revenge ;-)
post #9 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepkid View Post

Now why the hell would anyone trust her search engine after she picked that ugly, backwards logo? 0_o

She has lousy taste in logos (the old one was much better), but she rose high in the ranks at Google.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #10 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

They could do it but most people would switch back to Google. All it takes is one simple click in Safari settings so then Google would still get most iOS users but wouldn't have to pay Apple a billion a year. Not a good move

I think you greatly overestimate how much "most people" care or even think about such things.

I personally have been using Yahoo exclusively on my iOS devices and Macs for the last 6 months, and I like it a lot!
post #11 of 173
Now we know what Ive and Mayer discuss at these fancy San Francisco shindigs. 1biggrin.gif

16kxfk4.jpg
post #12 of 173

YES YES YES YES YES YES!  Pleaseeee!   But....

post #13 of 173
But Google isn't the default search in iOS. It's been Bing at least since 7.0 showed up.

Also, most people wouldn't, since they don't actually give a crap. They'll say they're "googling" it, and use whatever system default is installed. Most people aren't geeky and don't even notice what OS they're running, so how will they know what search engine is the default?

Google sucks anyway.
post #14 of 173
I also have been using yahoo by default for a year now, no issues whatsoever.

What I don't fully understand is this powered by bing thing. Does it mean that we are using bing and just have it show up on a yahoo "face".
Would it be advisable to just uses bing?
post #15 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Now we know what Ive and Mayer discuss at these fancy San Francisco shindigs. 1biggrin.gif

So Ive does own clothing other than t-shirts :-)

post #16 of 173
I will give Yahoo a try.
post #17 of 173
That would be a helluva coup for Yahoo!

I haven't used Yahoo for years - is it any good? Usability compared to Google?
post #18 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by radster360 View Post

Own? No. Rental.

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

post #19 of 173
One thing I use a lot with Google is basic conversions '3972' usd to gbp', for instance, or '22 c to f', or whatever. I would miss the convenience of that.
post #20 of 173
Oh no I hope not! I have nothing against Marissa just not ready to give up on Google. All have the choice of choosing default search engine and this must stay
post #21 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post

Own? No. Rental.
Do you really think someone worth millions of dollars rents clothing?
post #22 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Most users wouldn't care. Perhaps if Y! Offers more money than Google...
post #23 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

One thing I use a lot with Google is basic conversions '3972' usd to gbp', for instance, or '22 c to f', or whatever. I would miss the convenience of that.
How would you miss it when you can open Safari and go to Google.com?
post #24 of 173
I admit I didn't even know they had a search engine. I thought they just had a directory of sorts. Maybe that was back in the 90's...but that was probably the last time I visited yahoo.com!
post #25 of 173

I already dropped Google for just about everything and after the email data mining revelation, I suggested dropping gmail to several family members and friends. Using Yahoo for search isn't that bad and I only occasionally use Google maps when something doesn't work in Apple Maps. I got rid of my gmail account months ago and am glad I did. gmail had all sorts of problems for me when managing email using Apple Mail (go ahead and say it way Apple Mail's fault, I don't care, I'm not going back). As for using Google for calculations, I just use the Calculator widget. It works fine for me. 

btw: @paxmantry this in Safari when Yahoo is your search engine. It works

I don't own Yahoo stock but do own Apple stock. 

post #26 of 173
Quote:

It works with Bing, or just ask Siri.

I forgot my gmail password the other day, goodbye last Google thing I was using.

Now I am Google free apart from their scumbag, surreptitious surveillance using little booby traps all over the web, which I actively block.

It is liberating.

To think I started promoting them when they first came out of Stanford before chasing the dollar and hypocrisy wiped out their early ideals.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #27 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shojin Monkey View Post

I admit I didn't even know they had a search engine. I thought they just had a directory of sorts. Maybe that was back in the 90's...but that was probably the last time I visited yahoo.com!

I had Geocities.

post #28 of 173
IMHO:

The trick here is to do to content discovery what apple did to hardware. Make search work for me, not some random scumbag company willing to pay the most to try and scam me into accessing their content.

For Apple the purpose is to make insanely great products that add value to a customers life experiences. Ridiculous profits are a happy byproduct, not the purpose. (Of course they don't set out to lose money, either.)

Likewise with search, I don't care if advertising is used to subsidise search, but when it became the purpose of search, the product failed, the company (Google) lost its mojo, and an opening appeared in a massive market for a better, more honest solution.

Also, neat if someone can come up with an automated system that can (again, objectively, honestly, without corporate corruption) classify and rank internet content, based on user experience.

Quality, quality, quality. It's what we will pay for more than all the convenience and comfort in the world.
post #29 of 173

He rented that tux.

post #30 of 173
This is great news. I've been using Yahoo search for a few years now—it's excellent. Haven't given Google another glance.

The cracks are showing in Google's latest results. Investors seem to be finally waking up to the truth about Google: they are a one-hit, two-faced dinosaur of the old internet. Not only is desktop declining, but people won't pay for mobile ads. And people aren't seeing as many ads because they're using apps or Siri instead of search.

Were Google to lose their default on iOS, that would be a body blow to them.
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
post #31 of 173
Quote:

I imagine he may even own a sock or two...
- African proverb
- African proverb
post #32 of 173

I just don't know.   Switch from one evil to the next?   It similar to desire to switch from Samsung to Intel for fab.    Given the opportunity both Yahoo and Intel would be Apple competitors of the future. All we would be doing is rolling back the clock awaiting history to repeat itself with a different search and HW partner who have asperations to be in Google's and Samsung's position and steal from Apple in the future.   FU to both of them.

"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
post #33 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunkzombie View Post

I also have been using yahoo by default for a year now, no issues whatsoever.

What I don't fully understand is this powered by bing thing. Does it mean that we are using bing and just have it show up on a yahoo "face".
Would it be advisable to just uses bing?
http://money.cnn.com/2013/05/10/technology/yahoo-microsoft/index.html

Who knows where things may be going...
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
post #34 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by snova View Post

I just don't know.   Switch from one evil to the next?   It similar to desire to switch from Samsung to Intel for fab.    Given the opportunity both Yahoo and Intel would be Apple competitors of the future. All we would be doing is rolling back the clock awaiting history to repeat itself with a different search and HW partner who have asperations to be in Google's and Samsung's position and steal from Apple in the future.   FU to both of them.

Apple won't be able to provide every service on a smartphone. Right now going with yahoo! instead of google would seem to be the lesser evil so I'm up for it.
post #35 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by snova View Post

Perhaps; but Marissa is a sweet-looking, smiley blonde. That may tip the balance.
- African proverb
- African proverb
post #36 of 173

iPhone, iPad, iPod, iMac, MacBook and MacBook Air here ...

The very 1st thing I must do is to change default search from google to Bing. It's been a few years now.

But, I may give a chance to Yahoo and soon.

....the lack of properly optimized apps is one of the reasons "why the experience on Android tablets is so crappy".

Tim Cook ~ The Wall Street Journal - February 7, 2014

Inside Google! 

....the lack of properly optimized apps is one of the reasons "why the experience on Android tablets is so crappy".

Tim Cook ~ The Wall Street Journal - February 7, 2014

Inside Google! 

post #37 of 173
Well both google and Microsoft are completion, google is on apples list to get rid of, it's very possible.
post #38 of 173
Quote:

Steve Jobs attended the Academy Awards in a full tux. (But he wore jeans and black mock turtleneck and white New Balance sneakers when having dinner with POTUS.)

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #39 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disturbia View Post

iPhone, iPad, iPod, iMac, MacBook and MacBook Air here ...

The very 1st thing I must do is to change default search from google to Bing. It's been a few years now.

But, I may give a chance to Yahoo and soon.

Good for you! Glad to hear you may give them a try. Aren't Bing and Yahoo the same search engine?
- African proverb
- African proverb
post #40 of 173
Quote:

And google would miss capturing all that raw data from you. I prefer to use apps.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Marissa Mayer wants Apple to ditch Google for Yahoo! as default iOS search engine
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Marissa Mayer wants Apple to ditch Google for Yahoo! as default iOS search engine