or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Marissa Mayer wants Apple to ditch Google for Yahoo! as default iOS search engine

Marissa Mayer wants Apple to ditch Google for Yahoo! as default iOS search engine - Page 2

post #41 of 173

Long term plan is Apple swallowing Yahoo's infrastructure, re-branding it with a new look and feel.  Mayer eventually in line as Apple CEO after Cook.

post #42 of 173
Would love a chance to see apples version of a search engine. You know they've had to at least toy with the idea at some point.
post #43 of 173
I guess at this point the only difference between bing and yahoo is that if you use yahoo you actually contribute to yahoo ad earnings and a little to MS. If you use bing directly all the earnings go to MS alone.
post #44 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

How would you miss it when you can open Safari and go to Google.com?
You really didn't get my point?
post #45 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

And google would miss capturing all that raw data from you. I prefer to use apps.
Yes but I spend most if the day on my Mac. I am in Canada and Yahoo doesn't offer many of the conversions I see above. It does do the currency conversion, but that's all.
post #46 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

You really didn't get my point?
I don't think you have to worry. This is just rumor, and so far apparently only what Yahoo is pushing for, not something Apple has agreed to.
post #47 of 173
I Just Want to Say ONE THING.

Bing EXCELS Google at Bigger Margin WHEN IT COMES TO IMAGE SEARCH !

Especially When YOU're on Safari Browser, Whether Desktop or Mobile.

I Have NEVER THOUGHT I Would Say THAT.
BECAUSE As Far As SEARCH ENGINE is Concerned, Google WAS Invincible.
But NOW The World SEEMS Changing.
After I Found IT, I NEVER USE Google When I Search Various Images.
Try Bing When You Search IMAGES on Safari !
Key Word is " Other Size ".

So WHO KNOWS Bing Might ONE DAY Beat and Expel Google in Every SEARCH ?

Edit : I Affirmed Bing's Image Search WORKS Excellent on Chrome too.

Edited by HAMETA - 4/16/14 at 5:35pm
post #48 of 173
This seems doable to me. All Yahoo! would have to do is pay Apple enough for this spot. They could probably even undercut what Google pays Apple for this privilege since it would probably help Apple to lessen Google's (default) control of search on Mac OS X and iOS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhayes View Post

She's pretty.

Very!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadarTheKat View Post

She's pretty smart, too.

Very!

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #49 of 173
LOL!!!!!!!!!!
Desperate woman!
post #50 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunkzombie View Post

I guess at this point the only difference between bing and yahoo is that if you use yahoo you actually contribute to yahoo ad earnings and a little to MS. If you use bing directly all the earnings go to MS alone.

Microsoft found yet another good idea in Google's stable of services. Coming soon to MS homepage look for personalized info cards, just like Google Now.
melior diabolus quem scies
post #51 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

LOL!!!!!!!!!!
Desperate woman!

Sigh...women are always jealous of each other; one of their great weaknesses.
Post from mstone to Benjamin Frost - "Perhaps that explains your lack of mental capacity. If I was your brother, I probably would have repeatedly smashed the side of your head with a cricket bat."
Post from mstone to Benjamin Frost - "Perhaps that explains your lack of mental capacity. If I was your brother, I probably would have repeatedly smashed the side of your head with a cricket bat."
post #52 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

One thing I use a lot with Google is basic conversions '3972' usd to gbp', for instance, or '22 c to f', or whatever. I would miss the convenience of that.

How would that change if you can easily just set your default search engine back to Google?

post #53 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Sigh...women people are always jealous of each other; one of their humanities great weaknesses.

I think that is more accurate now. I'm very jealous of that handsome guy I see in every mirror I pass¡

post #54 of 173
Maybe I'll just go back to excite...

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

post #55 of 173
Never gonna happen. Apple would build a search engine from the ground up before using Yahoo as default.
post #56 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by diplication View Post

Maybe I'll just go back to excite...

O M G ! ! ! ! That still exists: http://excite.com

PS: Note that on mail page they offer a Standard and Secure login option with the default being Standard. If you click Secure it doesn't load any SSL. Is that just a dummy site?

post #57 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I think that is more accurate now. I'm very jealous of that handsome guy I see in every mirror I pass¡

50% less accurate, give or take a few percent for the men who are 'old women'. Jealous of your own shadow, eh?
post #58 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Microsoft found yet another good idea in Google's stable of services. Coming soon to MS homepage look for personalized info cards, just like Google Now.

As ever AI's resident Google spokesman chimes in, Google pillages whatever they care to use from others, too bad if it comes back on them.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #59 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinit_zero View Post

Never gonna happen. Apple would build a search engine from the ground up before using Yahoo as default.

Never say never, Mr. Infinity.
post #60 of 173
Quote:

I was surprised too. If I remember correctly, Apple directed traffic there as a homepage back in the day. I just know that was my default for a while. Seems there was another as well, but I can't recall.

post #61 of 173
post #62 of 173
Altavista?
post #63 of 173
Quote:

Wow. It says excite is owned by  Mindspark Interactive Network, Inc, which apparently owns Vimeo as well, at least according to the info at the bottom of the excite home page

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #64 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennettvista View Post

Long term plan is Apple swallowing Yahoo's infrastructure, re-branding it with a new look and feel.  Mayer eventually in line as Apple CEO after Cook.

While I don't agree that any new CEO of Apple should be brought in from the outside, I do believe that there would be something in Apple at least acquiring Yahoo and having Mayer on their team. Imagine all the ways Apple could repurpose Yahoo to add value and pull-in for iDevices. They wouldn't even have to get into the business of selling ad space.

post #65 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechManMike View Post

While I don't agree that any new CEO of Apple should be brought in from the outside, I do believe that there would be something in Apple at least acquiring Yahoo and having Mayer on their team. Imagine all the ways Apple could repurpose Yahoo to add value and pull-in for iDevices. They wouldn't even have to get into the business of selling ad space.

Yeah, they've clearly had a good relationship for some while. I like your idea, or at least some kind of partnership, investment or amalgamation. I get the feeling there's a synergy there with Marissa.
post #66 of 173

You people can't remember how god-awful Search was before Google came along: genius!  Yahoo sucked giant donkey balls then and still does but now in Google-copy sort of way. (The shame is Google couldn't stick to their strengths... )

The best thing Yahoo ever did was Geocities; everyone at Chez Enz (age 7 to me) had their own FREE! custom site updated with consumate ease (even by the 7 yr old) with the bloody amazing Claris Home Page 3. (Who said tech and software only get better? Check out Word, Endnote and Chemdraw for more proof it often goes from pleasure to pain.)

Enz

post #67 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

As ever AI's resident Google spokesman chimes in, Google pillages whatever they care to use from others, too bad if it comes back on them.

That's why the techs need to keep creating, improving and innovating. There's no preventing a competitor from recognizing a good idea and working out their own way of using it to their benefit. The trick is just to do it better and make sure consumers know about it.

One thing you know for certain. Google isn't suing over it. I almost think they take pride in other companies building on their ideas as you never hear a complaint.
post #68 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by enzos View Post

You people can't remember how god-awful Search was before Google came along: genius!  Yahoo sucked giant donkey balls then and still does but now in Google-copy sort of way. (The shame is Google couldn't stick to their strengths... )

The best thing Yahoo ever did was Geocities; everyone at Chez Enz (age 7 to me) had their own FREE! custom site updated with consumate ease (even by the 7 yr old) with the bloody amazing Claris Home Page 3. (Who said tech and software only get better? Check out Word, Endnote and Chemdraw for more proof it often goes from pleasure to pain.)

Enz

My principle memory of Geocities is that the sites were down most of the time.

I guess if Apple acquire them, Yahoo will be able to suckle on giant unicorn balls of fluff.
post #69 of 173
Quote:

Altavista?

Dogpile? Web Crawler? Lycos? AskJeeves? 

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #70 of 173
Mayer made 60M in the last 2 years at yahoo while their financials have gone nowhere. The stock is up thanks to the pre-Mayer era purchase of Alibaba stake. How would Mayer convince apple to make Yahoo default? Lots of cash. However the experience for Apple users would fall and if Apple's goal is the best user experience then switching to Yahoo is a big mistake.

I use Google app for all my searches on iPhone. The voice search is great and for 95% of general questions and searches it outperforms Siri. There are some specific searches and tasks Siri is great at and beats Google's app at least for now.

If Cook takes the bait on this one then I know Apple really has jumped the shark. Yahoo is not the search leader for a reason and pairing up with them would be a gross error. I don't think Cook would do it but he's surprised me with some other insanely stupid things and inactions so wouldn't be a complete surprise either if he did
post #71 of 173
Quote:

PS: Note that on mail page they offer a Standard and Secure login option with the default being Standard. If you click Secure it doesn't load any SSL. Is that just a dummy site?

It is sort of secure. It has a mixture of secure and non-secure elements on the page. But it is only 128 bit which I did not know was even an option. I thought 1024 was the lowest encryption you could use. Actually there is something weird going on. It does say in the certificate details that it is 2048 bits. The page is just not coded correctly for SSL. Safari doesn't let you access any of that information unless the page is actually secure. Chrome just pops up a warning but you can still access the certificate info.

Edited by mstone - 4/16/14 at 5:39pm

post #72 of 173
Quote:

Who is the other one?  I am curious!  ;)

post #73 of 173
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

LOL!!!!!!!!!!
Desperate woman!

are you suggesting that Brin is really a jealous little girl?

"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
post #74 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvigod View Post

Mayer made 60M in the last 2 years at yahoo while their financials have gone nowhere. The stock is up thanks to the pre-Mayer era purchase of Alibaba stake. How would Mayer convince apple to make Yahoo default? Lots of cash. However the experience for Apple users would fall and if Apple's goal is the best user experience then switching to Yahoo is a big mistake.

I use Google app for all my searches on iPhone. The voice search is great and for 95% of general questions and searches it outperforms Siri. There are some specific searches and tasks Siri is great at and beats Google's app at least for now.

If Cook takes the bait on this one then I know Apple really has jumped the shark. Yahoo is not the search leader for a reason and pairing up with them would be a gross error. I don't think Cook would do it but he's surprised me with some other insanely stupid things and inactions so wouldn't be a complete surprise either if he did

Since you use the Google app for search, you have no interest in what the default search engine in Safari is. Oh, you're a troll. Shut up and go away.
post #75 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

Who is the other one?  I am curious!  1wink.gif

I'm so sorry; I should have said: one of their many great weaknesses. 😀
post #76 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

It is sort of secure. It has a mixture of secure and non-secure elements on the page. But it is only 128 bit which I did not know was even an option. I thought 1024 was the lowest encryption you could use. Actually there is something weird going on. It does say in the certificate details that it is 2048 bits. The page is just not coded correctly for SSL.

[image]

Safari on Mac flashes the HTTPS for a second before removing it again. The only elements I could find on the page that show up secure are the two lock images that link to: https://registration.excite.com/excitereg/images/key.gif

post #77 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by snova View Post

are you suggesting that Brin is really a jealous little girl?

Woah—are you telling me that maccherry is a jealous little girl called Brin?!?
post #78 of 173

i switched to yahoo when they began more secure searches

BUT

living with yahoo search needs more tools for mobile

i would like to search over a given time frame, say 24hrs, week, month etc like google tools allows me

integrate searches to apple maps.... e.g.  searching for county clerks office, restaurant, businesses

better image search where you can mag up the image for better detail and the source web site  trying to view the parts for a special lock i have was a pain

more relevant

so for the privacy i got a vpn app, privacy app, and went back to google

wish yahoo was better,   apple can make it better

alternatives for privacy    blekko, duckduckgo,   ixquick    maybe apple could buy them all  

oh will NSA have access to my searches ???

I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
post #79 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

oh will NSA have access to my searches ???

Yes; you're doomed.
post #80 of 173

It would also deal a significant blow to Apple. Siri is already less useful because it uses Bing by default. If Safari becomes less useful as well, it's going to be third thing (maps, Siri, Safari) in iOS being second rate because Apple is having pointless feud with Google, and more reasons for users to switch away from what they already think is overpriced fashion toy.

Mac Pro, 8 Core, 32 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 285 1 GB, 2 TB storage, 240 GB OWC Mercury Extreme SSD, 30'' Cinema Display, 27'' iMac, 24'' iMac, 17'' MBP, 13'' MBP, 32 GB iPhone 4, 64 GB iPad 3

Mac Pro, 8 Core, 32 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 285 1 GB, 2 TB storage, 240 GB OWC Mercury Extreme SSD, 30'' Cinema Display, 27'' iMac, 24'' iMac, 17'' MBP, 13'' MBP, 32 GB iPhone 4, 64 GB iPad 3

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Marissa Mayer wants Apple to ditch Google for Yahoo! as default iOS search engine
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Marissa Mayer wants Apple to ditch Google for Yahoo! as default iOS search engine