or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple to partner with Shazam for song recognition in iOS 8, report says

Apple to partner with Shazam for song recognition in iOS 8, report says

post #1 of 85
A report on Wednesday claims Apple is looking to incorporate a song identification feature into its upcoming iOS 8 operating system, possibly as part of Siri, and is working with Shazam to roll out the capability.

Radio

According to people familiar with Apple's plans, the next-generation iOS 8 will feature song identification capabilities that gather sound from an iPhone or iPad's microphone, sends it up to the cloud for processing and returns results to users, reports Bloomberg.

The company is said to be working in partnership with Shazam, which has for years marketed its own song identification app and technology in the App Store. Shazam's system works in much the same way as solution described by sources, suggesting Apple may simply pull data into a first-party app as it does with Weather and Stocks.

Specifically, sources say Siri might get song ID support with users asking the virtual assistant, "What song is playing?" From there, iOS can use the data in any number of ways, including opening Apple's own iTunes Radio or the Music app.

The addition of song identification would be a boon for iTunes Radio's digital track discovery, which in turn drives sales from the iTunes music store.

Shazam, which in March 2013 was estimated to be operating on 20 percent of iPhones, now boasts some 90 million users. Apple's iOS user base has been the source of major revenue in directing users to purchase music tracks, many from iTunes.

Apple is expected to preview iOS 8 at the upcoming Worldwide Developers Conference slated to begin on June 2. As always, AppleInsider will be covering the event first hand.
post #2 of 85
I know Siri isn't specifically mentioned (which I think is odd) but it would be nice to say, "What song is playing?" and have Siri listen for a few seconds and pop back with an answer. Not often but every now and then I fail to get the app launched and working before a song ends.

PS: Shazam seems much, much faster than it used to be.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #3 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I know Siri isn't specifically mentioned (which I think is odd) but it would be nice to say, "What song is playing?" and have Siri listen for a few seconds and pop back with an answer. Not often but every now and then I fail to get the app launched and working before a song ends.

Yes , I tried it the other day for the first time for ages and was impressed. A pairing with Siri makes a lot of sense.
post #4 of 85
Nice. I'm not mad on Shazam, but I would like this partnership.
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
post #5 of 85
Would Soundhound not be better as it does what Shazam does plus you can whistle or hum the song to find it too?
post #6 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Yes , I tried it the other day for the first time for ages and was impressed. A pairing with Siri makes a lot of sense.

Oh god are you kidding? 

I love Apple stuff as much as the next guy but Siri pretty much sucks at everything it does. It's slow as shit...by the time Siri was up and ready to go the song would be over with. Shazam works darn near instantly at identifying songs and would undoubtedly be faster than Siri. You should try out the app some more before suggesting use of voice controls. 

post #7 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A report on Wednesday claims Apple is looking to incorporate a song identification feature into its upcoming iOS 8 operating system, possibly as part of Siri, and is working with Shazam to roll out the capability.

Specifically, sources say Siri might get song ID support with users asking the virtual assistant, "What song is playing?" From there, iOS can use the data in any number of ways, including opening Apple's own iTunes Radio or the Music app.

Quote:

It's not like you to miss details but, dude…she's mentioned more than once!

You talkin' to me?
You talkin' to me?
post #8 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Yes , I tried it the other day for the first time for ages and was impressed.

Me, too. I swear it took less than 3 seconds before it had a match.

post #9 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by morningtilts View Post

Would Soundhound not be better as it does what Shazam does plus you can whistle or hum the song to find it too?

Whatever Apple goes for will be the better. End of discussion.
- African proverb
- African proverb
post #10 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

It's not like you to miss details but, dude
…she's mentioned more than once!

This is one of those articles where they are adding to it after they posted it. I even did page search for Siri before I submitted my post and it came up empty.

post #11 of 85
Quote:

I would imagine if they're baking it into iOS that it'll be as a part of Siri.  Song identification has been a feature in Google Now for awhile.  It just makes sense to do it that way.

post #12 of 85
Question for iTunes Radio listeners: does it store the history of what you're listening to?
- African proverb
- African proverb
post #13 of 85
Quote:

This is one of those articles where they are adding to it after they posted it. I even did page search for Siri before I submitted my post and it came up empty.

It sounds like you may be one of AI's sources now!  :D

Quote:

... it would be nice to say, "What song is playing?" and have Siri listen for a few seconds and pop back with an answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Specifically, sources say Siri might get song ID support with users asking the virtual assistant, "What song is playing?" From there...
post #14 of 85
Quote:

Doesn't AI usually use the (u) after the title if/when they update? They're trying to pull a fast one on ya!

You talkin' to me?
You talkin' to me?
post #15 of 85
Quote:

Doesn't AI usually use the (u) after the title if/when they update? They're trying to pull a fast one on ya!

That or developing at the end to let you know they are still working on it.

post #16 of 85

Why doesn't Apple just buy Shazam or Soundhound? Seems like in the long picture it would benefit.

Where's the new Apple TV?

And still waiting for SolipsismX to prove his accusation:
"And yet they haven't loved Google Wallet which you claimed was the exact same thing and kept posting...

Where's the new Apple TV?

And still waiting for SolipsismX to prove his accusation:
"And yet they haven't loved Google Wallet which you claimed was the exact same thing and kept posting...
post #17 of 85
Quote:

Agreed.
post #18 of 85
Sooo...other than making it complimentary, it's the same functionality that I have now in iOS 6 with the Shazam app, except without the performance penalty and invisible fonts of iOS 7? What am I missing out on??? 1wink.gif

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #19 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigatel View Post

Oh god are you kidding? 

I love Apple stuff as much as the next guy but Siri pretty much sucks at everything it does. It's slow as shit...by the time Siri was up and ready to go the song would be over with. Shazam works darn near instantly at identifying songs and would undoubtedly be faster than Siri. You should try out the app some more before suggesting use of voice controls. 

Maybe you shouldn't speak with your mouth full, Siri works fine, as you'd know if you ever used it.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #20 of 85
I think this is a part of a much broader Siri enhancement. Apps will get an API to plug in to Siri and be voice enabled: e.g. Asking Siri to check the best price for an airline ticket will pull up the answer from eg kayak app or expedia.
post #21 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

I would imagine if they're baking it into iOS that it'll be as a part of Siri.  Song identification has been a feature in Google Now for awhile.  It just makes sense to do it that way.

SonyEricsson was doing it before they even started making Android handsets.

post #22 of 85
OMG did Apple just make a good decision, only took them like a few years. Anyways I hope this is true
post #23 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavier83 View Post

OMG did Apple just make a good decision, only took them like a few years. Anyways I hope this is true

Really?

But yes, I think this is a great idea. Given the deep integration of iTunes in iOS already, adding sound/music recognition functionality as a deep part of the product makes complete sense (I agree with others that launching Shazam - as great as it is - can sometimes be a bit awkward if you want to catch something quickly).

post #24 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

SonyEricsson was doing it before they even started making Android handsets.

I didn't even know they made a song recognition app and I own a Sony tablet, lol.  I haven't been overly impressed with Sony's apps so it'll be tough to top Soundhound (my personal preference), but I'll have to try it out and compare.

EDIT:  I installed it and gave it a whirl.  It keeps timing out saying that it can't connect to the server when I try to ID a song.  Unfortunately, that's pretty much what I've come to expect from Sony's mobile apps so this doesn't surprise me.  Soundhound will remain my go to.

Edited by DroidFTW - 4/16/14 at 7:40pm
post #25 of 85
Quote:

Sometimes. Except when the entire posted story is one word: "Developing..." lol.gif

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #26 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavier83 View Post

Good to see you finally came out of that coma.

Now brace yourself. We have a lot to tell you about 'horseless carriages' and moon landings...

1wink.gif
I always appreciate an Android fan who puts his energy into advertising Apple products.
I always appreciate an Android fan who puts his energy into advertising Apple products.
post #27 of 85
Well I haven't used shazam for a while. Normally where I would use it would be noisy environments where, hearing a song, I run the app. Asking Siri to identify that song would be less useful as it would involve asking questions in a noisy environment and seeming like a prat ( imagine being on a bus or in a cafe ). I never use Siri in public but often at home. In fact I have long believed apple should allow questions like "what's the nearest pizza restaurant" to be stored somewhere and asked silently.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #28 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Question for iTunes Radio listeners: does it store the history of what you're listening to?

Yes. It also lets you easily add the currently playing song to a wish list, from which you can subsequently preview and purchase from. You can also preview and purchase from the history list.
I don't care about what the ignorant masses perceive as truth. I'm concerned with the facts on the ground.
I don't care about what the ignorant masses perceive as truth. I'm concerned with the facts on the ground.
post #29 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Sooo...other than making it complimentary, it's the same functionality that I have now in iOS 6 with the Shazam app, except without the performance penalty and invisible fonts of iOS 7? What am I missing out on??? 1wink.gif

I'm going out on a limb and guessing this is part of a larger effort to open up Siri to more applications, something I think Apple has been too conservative with. Maybe this will be one of several demos of that initiative.
post #30 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Well I haven't used shazam for a while. Normally where I would use it would be noisy environments where, hearing a song, I run the app. Asking Siri to identify that song would be less useful as it would involve asking questions in a noisy environment and seeming like a prat ( imagine being on a bus or in a cafe ). I never use Siri in public but often at home. In fact I have long believed apple should allow questions like "what's the nearest pizza restaurant" to be stored somewhere and asked silently.

I read somewhere about a therapist who helps introverted people. At one step late in the process she challenges them to break out into song in the grocery store checkout line. Maybe I can find her contact info for you.
post #31 of 85
T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

The difference I'm guessing is that you won't be limited to 5 or so song matches in a short period of time. I believe the app is still restricted in that fashion. With an Apple integration it could be unlimited.
You can't spell appeal without Apple.
You can't spell appeal without Apple.
post #32 of 85
I am not going to talk to my phone in front of other people. Also, the count of things Siri has successfully done for me is 0. It is just a delay, until I end up doing it right myself.
post #33 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadarTheKat View Post

I read somewhere about a therapist who helps introverted people. At one step late in the process she challenges them to break out into song in the grocery store checkout line. Maybe I can find her contact info for you.

I found a video of her latest graduating class.

post #34 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by hallmansm View Post

I am not going to talk to my phone in front of other people. Also, the count of things Siri has successfully done for me is 0. It is just a delay, until I end up doing it right myself.

You could always use her to break the ice.

post #35 of 85
Quote:

[ video]

"You should try Android." :facepalm:
Edited by SolipsismX - 4/16/14 at 9:25pm

post #36 of 85
That sounds awesome. I hope it's true!
post #37 of 85
Quote:

"You should try Android." :facepalm:

Yeah, that guy has a real way with the ladies, doesn't he?  :lol:

post #38 of 85
Quote:

[^video]

Lol. And that is one of the few times I like the background music.
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
post #39 of 85
Quote:

Would be nice if you asked Siri a question it would reply and add the song info that was playing in the background and add that, in brackets, when your question is displayed followed by Siri's answer.
post #40 of 85
I sent Apple an email about this 2 months ago and posted this a couple of days ago to Apple forums to integrate this into Siri https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6089109
YES!!!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple to partner with Shazam for song recognition in iOS 8, report says