or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple to partner with Shazam for song recognition in iOS 8, report says
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple to partner with Shazam for song recognition in iOS 8, report says - Page 2

post #41 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadarTheKat View Post

I read somewhere about a therapist who helps introverted people. At one step late in the process she challenges them
to break out into song in the grocery store checkout line. Maybe I can find her contact info for you.

Lol. Keyboard warrior. Why do I feel you look a bit like comic book guy from the Simpsons. I didn't say I was shy. I said I didn't want to feel like a prat. I said it would be noisy ( and Siri is crap with non American accents ) that's true of me and everybody else in the UK, Ireland or Europe I have visited as not once have I seen any idiot talk to Siri in public.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #42 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigatel View Post
 

 

Oh god are you kidding? 

 

I love Apple stuff as much as the next guy but

Isn't this one of Tallest's precursors for being a troll?

 

Dude, if you think you can unlock your phone, find the app, start it and begin the app listening quicker than you can hold the home button down and say "what song is playing", you do it that way. However, as most of the time you want to know what a song is, you are driving. So operating an iphone/ipad is safer and quicker to use Siri.

 

I'm actually glad to hear this rumour as I sent exactly this idea to Tim's Apple email in January 2012 saying it'd be good for follow on sales as the song could be offered on iTunes in the search result. Having it all baked in will make it faster.

post #43 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

I sent exactly this idea to Tim's Apple email in January 2012 saying it'd be good for follow on sales as the song could be offered on iTunes in the search result.

You weren't the only one then!
post #44 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadarTheKat View Post

I read somewhere about a therapist who helps introverted people. At one step late in the process she challenges them to break out into song in the grocery store checkout line. Maybe I can find her contact info for you.

Funny! It would be hilarious if you had to sing your questions to Siri. Maybe if everyone was forced to, there would be less need for AutoTune.
iPad a Dream.
Reply
iPad a Dream.
Reply
post #45 of 85
I'd believe Apple was buying Shazam before I believe they are giving it some kind of special access. Despite claims of panic over lost sales. If Apple really wants to improve subscriptions etc this is not the way to do it. Better searching, playlists etc are the way. Imagine a system that is more Lala/ genius like where you could upload a whole playlist and the aggregate data about the songs could be used to create a genius radio station with a history list so you don't have to jump to wishlist songs etc. Things like that are more useful, particularly to getting subscribers as they could make it a function of paid accounts only. $25 a month for no ads etc isn't that shabby really. If they do something like three for free, unlimited with paid that could sell it.

There's actually a lot from Lala they dropped that they shouldn't have.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #46 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

I'd belie Apple was buying Shazam before I believe they are giving it some kind of special access.

Siri was filled with using other services in their backend from day one.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #47 of 85

Instead of incorporating Shazam into Siri, I would prefer them to add it to the swipe up settings panel. In fact I would love to have some options to add or change the default options there. I have never used the portrait lock button even once so would happily replace that with something else I would use if given the option. For example replace portrait lock with a Shazam icon that I often use. I also have never used the camera icon there since I have the camera app on my home screen and open it from there or simply tell Siri "take a picture". When I use Shazam there is often loud noise from the music so I doubt speech recognition would work well unless I have control of the volume which is not always the case. Imagine trying to use Siri at a club for example. 

 

I understand Apple's reluctance on offering widgets or too much customization but I think allowing a small degree of customization in the control center with iOS 8 would be a very welcome addition by most users and also a compromise. The Control Center could become a lot more useful and powerful than the current version. 


Edited by gwmac - 4/17/14 at 10:11am

 

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. 

Reply

 

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. 

Reply
post #48 of 85

It's a feature that I really like on Google Now, it would be a nice addition to Siri.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post
 

 When I use Shazam there is often loud noise from the music so I doubt speech recognition would work well unless I have control of the volume which is not always the case. Imagine trying to use Siri at a club for example. 

It could work by automatic music detection. That's also how it works on Google Now, press the microphone and it automatically detects music and starts analyzing. So in Siri's case activate Siri with the home button and Siri would automatically detect the music and start analyzing. It would be a nice addition to Siri.

post #49 of 85

shazam can also be set to scan the "soundscape" around you for music and cache it so that it doesn't matter how long it takes you to open the app. It will eat up the battery i'm sure, but it's not a problem they aren't working on.

turtles all the way up and turtles all the way down... infinite context means infinite possibility
Reply
turtles all the way up and turtles all the way down... infinite context means infinite possibility
Reply
post #50 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I know Siri isn't specifically mentioned (which I think is odd) but it would be nice to say, "What song is playing?" and have Siri listen for a few seconds and pop back with an answer. Not often but every now and then I fail to get the app launched and working before a song ends.


PS: Shazam seems much, much faster than it used to be.

Anandtech article is talking about music recognition integrated with personal assistant... so what you wish for could easily be right.
post #51 of 85
I'd prefer they partner with Tesla for their battery technology.
post #52 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipsy View Post

It's a feature that I really like on Google Now, it would be a nice addition to Siri.
It could work by automatic music detection. That's also how it works on Google Now, press the microphone and it automatically detects music and starts analyzing. So in Siri's case activate Siri with the home button and Siri would automatically detect the music and start analyzing. It would be a nice addition to Siri.

Maybe a dedicated music recognition button on Siri screen?
post #53 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Things like that are more useful, particularly to getting subscribers as they could make it a function of paid accounts only. $25 a month for no ads etc isn't that shabby really.

 

$25 / month for commercial free music?! My SiriusXM comes less than $20/month for like 200 channels! 

post #54 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrance View Post

$25 / month for commercial free music?! My SiriusXM comes less than $20/month for like 200 channels! 
Commercial-free Google All-Access Music is only $10/mo. $25 is fairly high.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #55 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrance View Post

$25 / month for commercial free music?! My SiriusXM comes less than $20/month for like 200 channels! 

Full disclosure: Only the music channels on SiriusXM are ad-free (which is what you clearly refer) but talk channels have ads, but they are a lot less than on terrestrial radio.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Commercial-free Google All-Access Music is only $10/mo. $25 is fairly high.

It's iTunes Radio the same as these other streaming services? It's only about $2.08/month.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #56 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Full disclosure: Only the music channels on SiriusXM are ad-free (which is what you clearly refer) but talk channels have ads, but they are a lot less than on terrestrial radio.
It's iTunes Radio the same as these other streaming services? It's only about $2.08/month.

Google's service is entirely different than iRadio. Besides genre stations you can choose to listen to any specific track or album Google Music offers, add anything in their catalog to your personal library at no additional charge, set-up your own custom playlists ( My fav is tracks I've given a "thumbs-up which are added automatically to a playlist), no skip limits, etc. . . . iRadio is quite limited in comparison.
https://play.google.com/about/music/allaccess/#/

No doubt tho that lots of folks are happy with free streaming radio like iRadio and Pandora, something Google oddly doesn't offer.
Edited by Gatorguy - 4/17/14 at 5:38pm
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #57 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

…add anything in their catalog to your personal library at no additional charge

I don't get why they would let you steal as much music as you want from that to add to your private collection without paying for it.
Quote:
...set-up your own custom playlists

You can create as many stations as you want in iTunes Radio which I assume is the same as your playlist mention.
Quote:
...iRadio[sic] is quite limited in comparison.

iTunes Match is available in 116 countries while Google Play Music is only available in 21.
iTunes Match will allow users to upload 25k sounds while Google Play Music only 20k.
iTunes Match is $25/year while Google Play Music is FREE.
iTunes Match's iTunes Radio service is FREE while Google Play Music's All Access services is $120/year.

iTunes Match sounds a lot better to me.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #58 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Commercial-free Google All-Access Music is only $10/mo. $25 is fairly high.

$A35 a year for iTunes Match.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #59 of 85
You should look at the link I provided Soli. You don't really understand what Google AllAccess offers. Its more of a Spotify combined with Pandora with some added value.

iRadio lacks many of its features, as well it should as it doesn't cost as much. As for your "stealing" comment you pay $10/mo for the service. It may certainly be a steal but its not stealing.

Anyway I'm not promoting AllAccess. My original comment was prompted by charlituna feeling $25 a month was a fair price for an ad-free streaming service.
Edited by Gatorguy - 4/17/14 at 6:33pm
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #60 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

You should look at the link I provided Soli. You don't really understand what Google AllAccess offers. iRadio lacks many of its features, as well it should as it doesn't cost as much. As for your "stealing" comment you pay $10/mo for the service. It may certainly be a steal but its not stealing.

So you lose the tracks when you stop paying for the service? That means it's not adding to your "personal library" anymore than bookmarking a YouTube video adds that video to your library. This sounds like the same old rented music system that has never been successful in the past. For that price I think Apple's iTunes Match solution is considerably better for the average person.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #61 of 85
You didn't read the link did you?
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #62 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

You should look at the link I provided Soli. You don't really understand what Google AllAccess offers. Its more of a Spotify combined with Pandora with some added value.

iRadio lacks many of its features, as well it should as it doesn't cost as much. As for your "stealing" comment you pay $10/mo for the service. It may certainly be a steal but its not stealing.

Anyway I'm not promoting AllAccess. My original comment was prompted by charlituna feeling $25 a month was a fair price for an ad-free streaming service.

Don't care, I don't want Google to track me.

Google free and proud of it.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #63 of 85
Let me guess. You use Bing and think they don't. That's kinda cute.

So back on topic folks in general are increasingly less willing to pay for music. I've no idea how the industry can wrest back control of their own future. $20 and more for a subscription is going to fail IMO and all-you-can-eat streaming seriously cut into individual song/album purchases.
Edited by Gatorguy - 4/17/14 at 7:05pm
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #64 of 85


Good riddance to bad rubbish, I feel liberated, liberated and it's mostly thanks to guys like Gatorguy.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #65 of 85
I've been hoping this feature would come to iOS natively. Great to hear it maybe in the works for iOS 8.
post #66 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post



Good riddance to bad rubbish, I feel liberated, liberated and it's mostly thanks to guys like Gatorguy.

Hear, hear!
iPad a Dream.
Reply
iPad a Dream.
Reply
post #67 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

You didn't read the link did you?

I did read the page.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #68 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post


Good riddance to bad rubbish, I feel liberated, liberated and it's mostly thanks to guys like Gatorguy.

You're welcome. And you thought there was no way out...1biggrin.gif

Hint of the day: You can still use the several Android phones you have without a Google account. Might not be pretty but still usable.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #69 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post


You're welcome. And you thought there was no way out...1biggrin.gif

Hint of the day: You can still use the several Android phones you have without a Google account. Might not be pretty but still usable.

 

The S4 is useful for propping up a rickety table.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #70 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

No doubt tho that lots of folks are happy with free streaming radio like iRadio and Pandora, something Google oddly doesn't offer.

What I find odd is that they have a service that people need to pay for. I thought with Google everything was free? Do they have other paid services?
post #71 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Good riddance to bad rubbish, I feel liberated, liberated and it's mostly thanks to guys like Gatorguy.

What an inspiring post! Strangely they didn't ask me why I wanted to delete my account. Perhaps because I wasn't using it in the first place(?)



post #72 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

What I find odd is that they have a service that people need to pay for. I thought with Google everything was free? Do they have other paid services?
Yup.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #73 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

What I find odd is that they have a service that people need to pay for. I thought with Google everything was free? Do they have other paid services?

Google has a lot of paid services. I use their services for business email. Using their robust backend for email to my private domain is a great solution and it costs less than $5/month which includes all their business apps, which I don't want. I could run my own email server would be too costly and time consuming.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #74 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post


Maybe a dedicated music recognition button on Siri screen?


Maybe, though that would result in the method via Siri not being any faster than going to the Shazam or Soundhound app. I really hope it's via music detection. Just activate Siri via the home button and start listening/analyzing.

post #75 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Google has a lot of paid services. I use their services for business email. Using their robust backend for email to my private domain is a great solution and it costs less than $5/month which includes all their business apps, which I don't want. I could run my own email server would be too costly and time consuming.

I had a talk with Kasper the other day and he explained to me the reason this site uses Gmail instead of their own domain: Googles' handeling of spam is way better than one could setup and maintain themselves.

I've been reading up on Googles initiatives and products today. They got a lot more going for them and seem to be busier than a one-legged man in a kick fight.
post #76 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I had a talk with Kasper the other day and he explained to me the reason this site uses Gmail instead of their own domain: Googles' handeling of spam is way better than one could setup and maintain themselves.

I've been reading up on Googles initiatives and products today. They got a lot more going for them and seem to be busier than a one-legged man in a kick fight.

1) I hadn't realized AI uses Gmail for mail but it makes sense. Secure, fast, reliable and inexpensive.

2) I don't know of any other service that is better than Google when dealing with spam. I still get some spam from iCloud and I think their server-side spam filter is pretty good these days.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #77 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

[^ post]

I've never received spam over my .mac address. Then again, I'm very picky on handing it out. I do get an occasional spam thorough my ISP email account, but they always fix it the same day. They've been like the best ISP over here for more than 10 years or something.

Still, no fiber available yet, even though the freaking cable runs right through the front of my house for over a year now! Okay, OT, but still(!)
post #78 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post


Maybe a dedicated music recognition button on Siri screen?


Sort of like how Cortana works on Windows Phone...  Cortana already has this power :). In fact, this feature has been part of Windows Phone since like 3 years ago.

post #79 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post


Google's service is entirely different than iRadio. Besides genre stations you can choose to listen to any specific track or album Google Music offers, add anything in their catalog to your personal library at no additional charge, set-up your own custom playlists ( My fav is tracks I've given a "thumbs-up which are added automatically to a playlist), no skip limits, etc. . . . iRadio is quite limited in comparison.
https://play.google.com/about/music/allaccess/#/

No doubt tho that lots of folks are happy with free streaming radio like iRadio and Pandora, something Google oddly doesn't offer.


I haven't looked to deeply at your link, but, this sounds about the same as Xbox Music.  $10 bucks a month for unlimited access to the catalog (both streaming and download), playlists, collection match, radio stations, etc.  Last I looked Xbox music had a bigger catalog than Google.  I think the only missing feature from Xbox Music that I would like to see added (and I hear is in the works) is the music locker -the ability to add your own music that isn't in the collection. 

post #80 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbi View Post


I haven't looked to deeply at your link, but, this sounds about the same as Xbox Music.  $10 bucks a month for unlimited access to the catalog (both streaming and download), playlists, collection match, radio stations, etc.  Last I looked Xbox music had a bigger catalog than Google.  I think the only missing feature from Xbox Music that I would like to see added (and I hear is in the works) is the music locker -the ability to add your own music that isn't in the collection. 

Some of the similarities and differences between Google All-Access and XBox Music are discussed here:
http://www.androidcentral.com/listen-comparing-xbox-music-and-google-play-music-all-access
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple to partner with Shazam for song recognition in iOS 8, report says