or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Facebook unveils new 'Nearby Friends' geolocation meetup feature

Facebook unveils new 'Nearby Friends' geolocation meetup feature

post #1 of 27
Facebook users will now have an easier time meeting up with friends at social events or planning group activities using the social network's new Nearby Friends feature, an opt-in service that alerts friends when they are close to each other.

With Nearby Friends enabled, users will receive a home screen notification telling them which friends are around their area. Users can then drill down to see roughly how far away those friends are and how recently their location was updated.

Another feature allows users to broadcast their exact location, in a manner similar to Apple's Find my Friends app. Users can select a set of friends and instruct Facebook to allow those friends to pinpoint the user on a map for a specific period of time.

Facebook says the service is completely optional, allowing those who prefer privacy to keep their location a secret. The setting is somewhat granular, so users can also allow only certain friends -- for example, a spouse -- to know where they are.

Nearby Friends will debut on both iOS and Android "in the US over the coming weeks." There is no word on when Facebook might expand the functionality internationally.
post #2 of 27

Facebook does not know that all Facebook friends are not real friends. 

post #3 of 27

I deleted Facebook from my iPhone a long time ago and never looked back.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #4 of 27
I would rather have an app that can warn me when certain people are getting too close to my location.
Edited by SolipsismX - 4/17/14 at 12:46pm

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #5 of 27
I like Apple's short-term option: "find each other at this big event, then automatically shut down." Very useful. Beyond that%u2014and anything involving companies that sell info on me* to advertisers%u2014is of no interest!

* Anonymized? A myth. They know enough to ID you, and the info is valuable. You are for sale.
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2009/09/your-secrets-live-online-in-databases-of-ruin/
post #6 of 27

Find my Friends?  They should just call it, Track My Movements, or Tell My Boss, or Facebook Spy, or I Know Where You Are At All Times Muahahahaha.

It's just copying Blendr/Grindr etc.  Progress marches on, I guess, like it or not.

You KNOW what's coming next lol.  Here is a preview (my guess anyway):

FARMVILLE 2 notification: JIM has a sheep to give you, and he's 154 feet away from you.

Get ready for uber complicated Facebook privacy settings that make it very difficult for you to be absolutely sure your Facebook friends can't discover your physical proximity and location.

post #7 of 27

For pity's sake, when will Facebook realise that there are people outside the US that would like to use its nice shiny new services and apps (like Paper)?

How long has Paper been out now? No sign yet in the UK (unless I'm seriously behind the times)

post #8 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

Find my Friends?  They should just call it, Track My Movements, or Tell My Boss, or Facebook Spy, or I Know Where You Are At All Times Muahahahaha.

It's just copying Blendr/Grindr etc.  Progress marches on, I guess, like it or not.

You KNOW what's coming next lol.  Here is a preview (my guess anyway):

FARMVILLE 2 notification: JIM has a sheep to give you, and he's 154 feet away from you.

Get ready for uber complicated Facebook privacy settings that make it very difficult for you to be absolutely sure your Facebook friends can't discover your physical proximity and location.

What some people don't realize is that for you to give this information to a few close friends or your spouse as in the example, you must also share your location with Facebook. No Thanks!

post #9 of 27

And merrily we prance down Facebook's brick road of creepiness.

post #10 of 27

How do I find the 'opt-in' page to be sure that I'm opted out?

post #11 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

How do I find the 'opt-in' page to be sure that I'm opted out?

Well, see, that's the tricky bit.  It's 'opt-in', but the opt-in checkbox just happens to be checked by default (for convenience).

You did not come into the world to fail. You came into the world to succeed.

- Gordon Hinckley

You did not come into the world to fail. You came into the world to succeed.

- Gordon Hinckley

post #12 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I would rather have an app that can warn me when certain people are getting too close to my location.

Same difference? A proximity alert doesn't care what your attitude is towards the target, right?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #13 of 27
Quote:

For second I thought you simply said "certain people getting too close" 1biggrin.gif
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/icelandic-antiincest-app-aims-to-stop-families-getting-too-close-8578404.html
melior diabolus quem scies
post #14 of 27
Quote:

Hatebook?  :)

post #15 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I deleted Facebook from my iPhone a long time ago and never looked back.

Yep, Bro. Facebook, MS, google are not the sort of businesses I want to associate with.

Why is it Apple, tesla (sort of), Toyota Prius, whole foods charge a premium, but I view it as well worth it? Hmmm
post #16 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Yep, Bro. Facebook, MS, google are not the sort of businesses I want to associate with.

Why is it Apple, tesla (sort of), Toyota Prius, whole foods charge a premium, but I view it as well worth it? Hmmm
I was surprised to find the Prius is one of the least expensive hybrids when my wife and iI were looking at that category late last year. One of the very few that isn't premium-priced.
post #17 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I was surprised to find the Prius is one of the least expensive hybrids when my wife and iI were looking at that category late last year. One of the very few that isn't premium-priced.

Yep, we just got my GF a new Prius C. She loves it. Her lic. plate is LV53MPG.

As hybrids go, price wise, ur probably right. The Prius is a big seller in California, and the tesla is out selling, Lexus, MB, BMW, etc.

When I said "premium" I was thinking more about compared to a similar gas only car. 1smile.gif

Me personally, I'd rather give the few thousand $'s for a hybrid to Toyota than OPEC. 53MPG vs. ~40MPG (gas only)

I may be naive, but I look at as encouragement (-sp?) to Toyota and saving the planet'a air. I guess.

Best regards, Gator

P.S. I would imagine prices for Prius are coming down. They seem to sell a lot of them. Don't quote me, but I think they're well over a million units sold.
Edited by christopher126 - 4/17/14 at 3:12pm
post #18 of 27
Will Facebook is be available on Paper? I haven't used the "old" Facebook app since Paper's release.
post #19 of 27
Quote:

Easy. Open a new FB account and friend everybody on your avoid list. 1wink.gif
post #20 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Easy. Open a new FB account and friend everybody on your avoid list. 1wink.gif

That is definitely easier than creating OcciputBook.

post #21 of 27
There is already an app out there available worldwide that does this across devices.

https://www.yeahyoapp.com/download.app

It also works on older versions of IOS that dont support Find my Freinds.

What is impressive is that the app was written by a 13 year old tokyo school girl.
post #22 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Yep, we just got my GF a new Prius C. She loves it. Her lic. plate is LV53MPG.

As hybrids go, price wise, ur probably right. The Prius is a big seller in California, and the tesla is out selling, Lexus, MB, BMW, etc.

When I said "premium" I was thinking more about compared to a similar gas only car. 1smile.gif

Me personally, I'd rather give the few thousand $'s for a hybrid to Toyota than OPEC. 53MPG vs. ~40MPG (gas only)

I may be naive, but I look at as encouragement (-sp?) to Toyota and saving the planet'a air. I guess.

Best regards, Gator

P.S. I would imagine prices for Prius are coming down. They seem to sell a lot of them. Don't quote me, but I think they're well over a million units sold.

Tesla isn't 'outselling' anyone.  It's selling well, and maybe when they have an 'everyman' car it will compete with other brands.  But right now, it's a niche product.  Much like Apple was 13 years ago.  

As for the Prius, sales declined last year.

Can I get my icons in cornflower blue?
Can I get my icons in cornflower blue?
post #23 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigawire View Post

Tesla isn't 'outselling' anyone.  It's selling well, and maybe when they have an 'everyman' car it will compete with other brands.  But right now, it's a niche product.  Much like Apple was 13 years ago.  

As for the Prius, sales declined last year.

"Tesla Outsells BMW, Mercedes And Lexus In America's Wealthiest ZIP Codes". Forbes 10/31/13.

"It’s not surprising to me that Silicon Valley dominates Forbes’ 2013 list of wealthiest American ZIP codes. Nor that Tesla electric cars are popular in the Bay area, since the company is headquartered in Palo Alto (not to mention it gets you a sticker to drive alone in the carpool lane).

What is surprising, though, is that the Tesla Model S is the best-selling car in eight of the 25 wealthiest ZIP codes in America — outselling the usual crowd of luxury models from BMW, Mercedes, Lexus and Audi.

This fascinating nugget comes from Edmunds.com Senior Analyst Jessica Caldwell, who got curious recently after reading the Forbes list of wealthiest ZIP codes.

As she writes in her Edmunds’ Drive By Numbers blog, Caldwell wanted to find out how all this wealth affected Tesla ownership. So she cross referenced our wealth data by ZIP code with 2013 car registration data from Polk, the Southfield, Mich.-based automotive data and marketing company."

Best. 1smile.gif
Edited by christopher126 - 4/17/14 at 7:05pm
post #24 of 27
Global cumulative Prius sales reached the milestone 1 million vehicle mark in May 2008,[6] 2 million in September 2010,[5] and passed the 3 million mark in June 2013.[7] Cumulative sales of 1 million Prii were achieved in the U.S. by early April 2011,[8] and Japan reached the 1 million mark in August 2011.[9].

I'd say that's pretty good! 1smile.gif
post #25 of 27

Does the app come with some friends?

:(

post #26 of 27
You can just go the the iPhone setting and turn geolocation off for Facebook.

Problem solved.
post #27 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Brian View Post

Will Facebook is be available on Paper? I haven't used the "old" Facebook app since Paper's release.

Well, Paper got an update today so maybe. First one too I think.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Facebook unveils new 'Nearby Friends' geolocation meetup feature